Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2011, 14:54   #8221
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

^^ And the CM is planning for a CBI enquiry on the accident!

Chief Minister Jayalalithaa said the CB-CID would thoroughly investigate the “mysterious” death. “Family members [of the Minister] and the public say the death is suspicious.”

Last edited by anachronix : 24th May 2011 at 14:59.
Old 24th May 2011, 15:04   #8222
Senior - BHPian

Just checked Google Maps. Chennai to Trichy is 324 KM. To reach Trichy, the average speed has to be 108 kmph. What was the minister thinking (assuming HE ordered the driver to overspeed)?

Looking at the picture, I am sure the minister could have had better luck, had he worn a seatbelt. Or was he wearing seatbelt? I hope CBI looks into that angle first ;-)
Old 24th May 2011, 15:08   #8223
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
the CM is planning for a CBI enquiry on the accident!
This amazed me, until my wife told me that death-by-lorry is a known film plot.

I wish she would now see the need to train all her drivers!

(This post is not meant to be political: the same would apply whoever was in power)
Old 24th May 2011, 15:35   #8224
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reisender View Post
TN Environmental minister dead on road mishap.
It doesn't look like an overtaking accident. Looking at the damage, the speed difference between the Innova and the truck seems to be quite huge, which is unlikely if we assume the truck was cruising at that time. Maybe he was zig-zagging and rear ended the stationary truck.

Now, if the Innova was ripping at 130+ then its quite possible. So, why is this not a case of stupid driving?

P.S. I'm not surprised...especially after posting about an IDIOT in the "Bad Drivers" thread.

-- Torqy
Old 24th May 2011, 15:35   #8225
Senior - BHPian

I am not saying what happened is right but I see these Innova guys always in a tearing hurry. Scorpio and Indica drivers are also in the same league. Ok, I mean cabbies here. They honking incessantly, stick to your tail and try to overtake you desperatley for which they weave from right to left to right to.... until somemhow they overtake you. Pesky rogues! These guys never slow down for anything. They fly through intersections ( which is safe for 20-25 kph at best ) at 80-90 kph missing everyone and everything by millimetres. Even if you are driving a Ferrari, you will find them glued to your tail and honking madly.
Old 24th May 2011, 16:45   #8226
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy View Post
It doesn't look like an overtaking accident...
The Hindu says,
According to the police, the car driver was trying to overtake the truck. The driver told the police that he lost control when the truck suddenly swerved towards the right.
Old 24th May 2011, 16:51   #8227
BANNED

^The car driver survived and the minister died? Was he in the co-driver seat?

Looking at the mess of an Innova, I am surprised the driver survived. Maybe the CBI inquiry is warranted
Old 24th May 2011, 18:06   #8228
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
The Hindu says,
According to the police, the car driver was trying to overtake the truck. The driver told the police that he lost control when the truck suddenly swerved towards the right.
Yes, i read that. That's what the Police says. But Police wasn't there or else they would've caught the truck.
I was wondering how overtaking an already moving vehicle will cause this much damage....an Innova is not flimsy either.

Hitting a stationary truck makes Innova driver the culprit whereas an overtaking accident will make truck driver the culprit.

(BTW, i don't think i need to investigate this since CBI is already involved. )

-- Torqy
Old 24th May 2011, 18:12   #8229
Senior - BHPian

I feel its more to do with the moronic speeds the driver must be doing to reach Chennai on time at 10AM for the oath-taking ceremony.

And I dont expect the driver to say that he was too fast, lost control and dumped the car on the rear of the truck that killed the politician. Best is to put the blame on the unidentified truck!
Old 24th May 2011, 18:32   #8230
BHPian

The simple most reason for most of the accidents is not following the traffic rules by one or both of the vehicles. Common sense says that if traffic enforcement is vehemently done, majority of the accidents would not have taken place.

It is high time that the culprits not following rules are severely dealt with. A casual offence like going in the wrong direction in a one way, is almost like an attempt to murder someone coming in the right direction. In such an instance, a case for an attempt to murder must be filed. The traffic police must be empowered to issue very stiff fines or also the power to confiscate vehicles ignoring the rules. Then let us see how many people ignore traffic rules.

Teaching people common sense in our country will probably only happen in our great great grand children's time so we need to put the scare of the devil so that the rules are obeyed.
Old 24th May 2011, 19:04   #8231
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
I feel its more to do with the moronic speeds the driver must be doing to reach Chennai on time at 10AM for the oath-taking ceremony.

And I dont expect the driver to say that he was too fast, lost control and dumped the car on the rear of the truck that killed the politician. Best is to put the blame on the unidentified truck!

I don't think it matters what this moron of a driver has to say - law is pretty clear, he rear ended the truck (not vice versa) while overtaking Jayalalitha may do her tricks but clearly it is the Innova's fault.

And for all we know it might be the minister forcing the guy to travel faster to meet the oath ceremony times (after starting late from home)

At the kind of speed this guy must have been doing, I don't see how it could be the truck driver's fault
Old 24th May 2011, 19:10   #8232
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
Just checked Google Maps. Chennai to Trichy is 324 KM. To reach Trichy, the average speed has to be 108 kmph. What was the minister thinking (assuming HE ordered the driver to overspeed)?

Didnt we have helicopter accidents recently when it was exposed that politicians frequently pressurize pilots to fly in bad weather to reach their vote bank?

Looks like a similar case here - a Lawmaker using his power and authority to overwhelm a poor employee/driver and induce him to over-speed and break the law, in the process endangering other innocent road users as well.

--Ragul
Old 24th May 2011, 22:26   #8233
BHPian

This happened a few hours ago right outside my house.

The guy was doing 100+ kmph, his phone rang which was under the handbrake, while collecting his phone, he accidentally pulled the hand brake lever.
The car almost overturned before hitting the divider.
There were 2 guys in the car, both escaped without a scratch.
The guy is the blue t-shirt was the driver.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img2011052400099.jpg  

Old 24th May 2011, 22:33   #8234
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitBahl View Post
The guy was doing 100+ kmph, his phone rang which was under the handbrake, while collecting his phone, he accidentally pulled the hand brake lever.
So, incoming calls are not free, yet?
pgsagar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th May 2011, 00:47   #8235
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitBahl View Post
The guy was doing 100+ kmph, his phone rang which was under the handbrake, while collecting his phone. There were 2 guys in the car, both escaped without a scratch.
That's plain lazy and careless. The other guy could've easily answered the driver's phone. Oh wait, or was it the other guy's phone kept under the handbrake. Still pretty lame I think!

Most Viewed