Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2011, 10:42   #8656
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Notice the auto on the left of the bus (which did not topple). He did not even brake and continued as if nothing happened!
Old 1st July 2011, 10:45   #8657
BHPian

Looks like the smaller bus didnt stop at the red light (notice wagon R it stopped). The bike that crossed few seconds before the bus an the auto that crossed after the accident are very lucky they would not stand a chance.
Old 1st July 2011, 12:35   #8658
BHPian

Nine persons were killed and more than 25 were injured when a mini bus in which they were travelling rammed into a tree near Karjagi village in the taluk yesterday evening.

Haveri: Nine Killed, Several Injured as Mini Bus Crashes into Tree

Image credit: daijiworld

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-ddd.jpg
Old 1st July 2011, 12:36   #8659
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alto99 View Post
Notice the auto on the left of the bus (which did not topple). He did not even brake and continued as if nothing happened!

I think he was probably shaken into a trance - the guy is lucky to get out of this without (apparently) even a scratch !

I think he can reasonably claim to have looked death squarely in the eyes, and survive.

Last edited by vina : 1st July 2011 at 12:45.
Old 1st July 2011, 12:40   #8660
BHPian

This is the first time i have seen such a accident. What on earth was the Mini Bus driver thinking.
The auto guys must have wet pants..
Old 1st July 2011, 12:53   #8661
Distinguished - BHPian

Jump a signal and here's what happens. Some accidents caught on tape - Bangalore (except for the last one)

naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2011, 13:16   #8662
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Jump a signal and here's what happens. Some accidents caught on tape - Bangalore (except for the last one)
this is being shown in Inox during intermission. it funny to hear the oh's and ah's of people. what's the point - the go out and do that same thing over and over again!

btw, i wonder where the last one happened. that looks to be pretty devastating!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vina View Post
I think he was probably shaken into a trance - the guy is lucky to get out of this without (apparently) even a scratch !

I think he can reasonably claim to have looked death squarely in the eyes, and survive.
that auto fella went straight between the two buses! also, did you notice the guy getting out of the window of the bigger bus, fold his lungi and run for his dear life?

Last edited by IronH4WK : 1st July 2011 at 13:23.
Old 1st July 2011, 13:23   #8663
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
.... what's the point - the go out and do that same thing over and over again!

While most would do the same thing again, the way probabilities work even 10% extra vigilance can reduce the failure probability (i.e. probability of a nasty accident) by a huge margin.

e.g. I always, always scan my rear view mirror (unless my attention is urgently required somewhere else) frequently - ever 2-3 seconds when I'm on highway or anywhere else doing speeds in excess of 60kmph

Yesterday I saw somebody on a bike was about to overtake me from the left - only problem was I could see road was blocked a little farther ahead (an auto going into the left lane slowly, and a car standing suspiciously perhaps to join the traffic from the left) - just enough to stop this guy's maneuver late into the act, but not enough to be easily visible to him (I probably was blocking the view).

I immediately turned the left blinkers and when that failed to dissuade him, just nudged my car a little left and then back - he must have though "what an *******" unless he was kind enough to later understand what just happened when he passed the same blockage section a few seconds later. I did let him pass at the earliest opportunity (I tend to slow down when others are in a hurry).

I did what I did (call me a bad driver) to avoid being at the scene of even a minor accident.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post

that auto fella went straight between the two buses! ....

its not that our man did it on purpose - the bus probably overtook him and then hit the other bus. This guy had some luck - he could have asked for anything that day and God might have granted the wish.

Last edited by GTO : 2nd July 2011 at 15:18. Reason: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing back to back posts.
Old 1st July 2011, 18:47   #8664
Distinguished - BHPian

Horrible!! And the offending bus-driver didnt even bother to stop and was allowed to coolly speed away! Atleast over here, people would've stopped him on the spot!
Old 1st July 2011, 18:56   #8665
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Horrible!! And the offending bus-driver didnt even bother to stop and was allowed to coolly speed away! Atleast over here, people would've stopped him on the spot!
IMO, it was the mini-bus's mistake. one can see other vehicles starting from the left (that's how the auto fellow when through them). also, the bigger bus was towed away. it didn't not leave the scene under its own power.
Old 1st July 2011, 19:21   #8666
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Not at all! If you see towards the end of the video [00:35s onwards] , the bus s actually being towed away and not driven away. Also there are no passengers in it when it is towed away. I personally don't think the driver would have been in a good condition to drive it after the accident.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 1st July 2011 at 19:22.
Old 1st July 2011, 20:53   #8667
BHPian

My Friend was involved in an accident on the Mumbai - Pune Expressway! The driver slept on the steering wheel at 80 KMPH speed and rammed into a fully loaded Tata 709.

Apart from a few bruises to the front seat passengers and a crying baby, nothing happened to Humans. But the Volvo's dashboard and glass were totalled. Driver was saved as the bus hit mostly on the left side.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-photo.jpg  

Old 1st July 2011, 21:28   #8668
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
They have made a tamasha with entertainment value out of such gruesome and serious incidents! Instead of careful analysis and an educational!!

--Ragul
Old 1st July 2011, 21:37   #8669
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
They have made a tamasha with entertainment value out of such gruesome and serious incidents! Instead of careful analysis and an educational!!

--Ragul
I think that's the intention (i.e. education). Did you hear the lyrics? I ignored them initially but caught on later in the video. They are describing the rules/punishment on disobeying them.

They could have done a better job though.
Old 1st July 2011, 22:33   #8670
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsaLove View Post
My Friend was involved in an accident on the Mumbai - Pune Expressway! The driver slept on the steering wheel at 80 KMPH speed and rammed into a fully loaded Tata 709.

Apart from a few bruises to the front seat passengers and a crying baby, nothing happened to Humans. But the Volvo's dashboard and glass were totalled. Driver was saved as the bus hit mostly on the left side.
Oh dear, when did that happen ? I have been on that bus a while ago. She runs on the DDR-PNESTN route. She is also from the very first batch of 9400s for MSRTC, and if I am not wrong, she is owned by SS Travels in Borivali. This bus does not have the 100kmph speed limiter.

The driver and the bus both belong to the said agency. Now, who pays for the repair work ?

I feel drivers on some routes are overworked. I know for a fact that the drivers on the Borivali-Sion-Swargate route have to take 1.5 trips per day, i.e Borivali-Swargate-Borivali-Swargate or Swargate-Borivali-Swargate-Borivali. Thats a total of about 600km, and about 14-15 on the roads, through heavy city traffic. (The route is Swargate-Pune Station-Aundh-Chembur-Sion-WEH-Malad-Borivali). On the other hand, drivers on the Thane-Swargate route do one trip per day(the bus does two), thats about 350km and 7 hours on the road per day.

I am attaching a picture of 6966. The sticker on the rear is quite contradictory to what the driver did in this case. The bus on the right is MH12FC3537, owned by Prasanna. She does the Thane-Swargate service faithfully, everyday, starting at 0600 in the morning. She was also involved in an accident at Juinagar two months ago. Apparently a new driver was driving under the influence of alchohol. He changed lanes without looking in the LRVM, and banged the rear into a trailers cab. When I saw the bus parked on the shoulder, the entire rear panels were missing. The bus was out of service for two weeks, but came back with a lot of new panels, a new radiator and fan.

Aalok
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-image006.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks