Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2011, 22:56   #8671
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by aalokg View Post
Oh dear, when did that happen ?
This happened a month ago and he was traveling from Pune station to Sion. Accident happened just a kilometer before the first expressway hotel after entering the expressway. Don't know exactly what it is called.

Passengers got picked up by the bus behind it which was running half full.

As per him the driver was doing 100+ and later reduced and started drifting on the 3rd lane of the expressway. When he entered a tunnel or so, he dozed off completely and banged into the 709. Luckily he had taken his foot off the accelerator.
Old 2nd July 2011, 01:50   #8672
BHPian

Had a minor accident 2 hours back. This was at CBD-Belapur junction on the sion-panvel highway.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-untitled.png

I (dark blue in picture) had turned onto the highway coming from palm beach road, and stopped as there was an ST bus (red in picture) coming into the inner lane from the bus stop there. An esteem cool-cab stopped behind me, and we were peacefully waiting for the ST bus to move as there was another ST bus ahead of the one pictured.

All of a sudden I heard a loud thud from behind me and noticed the cab coming towards me. The cab hit my rear bumper and i heard a fairly loud noise on the second impact.

Got out and checked for damage. Thankfully, there was none on my car. Checked the front bumper of the cab and that too had no impact marks. The rear bumper of the cab was smashed (and that's what probably saved me). My guess is, impact was at 40 km/h.

Then i had to give a piece of my mind to the 40-something "gentleman" in the gray i20 that caused the incident. The guy got out once i knocked on his window and asked him to have a look at the cab he'd hit.

By this time, some cops that are stationed at that junction got to the scene and asked the cabbie and the errant driver to park the vehicles off the road. I left the scene then. I'm hoping the poor cabbie didn't get harassed later on.
Old 2nd July 2011, 03:26   #8673
BHPian

Just saw an accident between kolar and chitoor between a bus of Rakesh/Rajesh travels and a car. Coudnt take pics as its dark.
Old 2nd July 2011, 11:35   #8674
BHPian

Quote:
She is also from the very first batch of 9400s for MSRTC, and if I am not wrong, she is owned by SS Travels in Borivali.

The bus on the right is MH12FC3537, owned by Prasanna.
Arent MSRTC buses owned by themselves and not by private operators like Prassana/SS?
Old 2nd July 2011, 14:29   #8675
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alto99 View Post
Arent MSRTC buses owned by themselves and not by private operators like Prassana/SS?
No, most of their buses are wet leased from private operators. But they own all of the mk2 B7Rs. They will take them off the road starting next month.

MH11T9227-9242 - Volvo B7R mk2. These buses are about 10 years old. Their interiors have gone bad, but these buses are very sound mechanically, almost at par with the new 9400s. They recently painted them green (except one). They will go off the road starting next month.

MH11T9243 onwards: Brand new 9400s, about 2-3 months old. 9243 and 9244 are multiaxles. Rest are standard 9400s. I have seen 9268 till today, dont know how many more are on their way. The more the better .

Aalok
Old 2nd July 2011, 15:50   #8676
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alto99 View Post
MSRTC owns some of the Volvos, and a few Mercs. The others are on lease from private operators.
Old 2nd July 2011, 16:55   #8677
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
MSRTC owns some of the Volvos, and a few Mercs. The others are on lease from private operators.
Hey Binai, MSRTC does not own the Mercedes buses. They are MH06S, and MH12FC registered, so probably some private operator owns them.

Aalok
Old 2nd July 2011, 17:13   #8678
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
MH11T9227-9242 - Volvo B7R mk2. These buses are about 10 years old. Their interiors have gone bad, but these buses are very sound mechanically, almost at par with the new 9400s. They recently painted them green (except one). They will go off the road starting next month.
Are you sure of the age of these buses? MSRTC commenced Volvo services only in December 2002, and then the buses were all MH12 registered. The MH11 buses came in 2004-5, IIRC. In the initial years, the Dadar-Pune service ran with 6 buses. The MKII buses came as MSRTC made an attempt to start Volvo services to Shirdi, which flopped prematurely.

MSRTC had even attempted a Parel-Hyderabad service in 2007, which too was stopped within months of inauguration.
Old 2nd July 2011, 18:45   #8679
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
also, did you notice the guy getting out of the window of the bigger bus, fold his lungi and run for his dear life?
Very very funny. Why on earth he ran away in opp direction. Did he think it was a bomb blast?

Or may be he hadn't bought the ticket and thought that's a right moment to escape.
Old 2nd July 2011, 22:05   #8680
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
Are you sure of the age of these buses? MSRTC commenced Volvo services only in December 2002, and then the buses were all MH12 registered. The MH11 buses came in 2004-5, IIRC. In the initial years, the Dadar-Pune service ran with 6 buses. The MKII buses came as MSRTC made an attempt to start Volvo services to Shirdi, which flopped prematurely.

MSRTC had even attempted a Parel-Hyderabad service in 2007, which too was stopped within months of inauguration.
I thought these buses were inducted in 2002-2003, I had heard a driver say so. Thanks for the correction anyway.
Old 3rd July 2011, 13:17   #8681
BHPian

This happened early this morning outside Pabbas @ Mangalore. No clue how it happened but i heard from a friend that the boy driving the sx4 passed away due to a ruptured liver.

Pics were taken outiside the police station!

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-resize-03072011092.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-resize-03072011094.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-resize-03072011095.jpg
Old 3rd July 2011, 14:14   #8682
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by james View Post
This happened early this morning outside Pabbas @ Mangalore. No clue how it happened but i heard from a friend that the boy driving the sx4 passed away due to a ruptured liver.
Looking at the pics find it difficult to understand how the boy driving the SX4 would have perished? Aveo seems to have suffered more damage at the driver side.
Old 3rd July 2011, 17:04   #8683
BHPian

possibly due to not using seat belts. A sudden bang can cause very high damage on the chest area. Sad to hear though
Old 3rd July 2011, 18:17   #8684
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by james View Post

Pics were taken outiside the police station!

Attachment 571344

Attachment 571346

Attachment 571347

Are you sure it was the guy driving the SX4? Or was there any other vehicle involved? This doesn't look like an accident between these two vehicles and neither does it seem likely that the SX4 driver died.

If it was then you see not just the importance of seatbelts but also perhaps of having crumple zones - Aveo certainly has had its share of damage, but all applied forces would have been gradual. On the other hand from the (almost non-existent) damage on SX4 it seems the forces would have been very high.
Old 3rd July 2011, 18:31   #8685
Senior - BHPian

Poor chap. The car is just two and a half month old Diesel SX4. Some times fate is merciless. May the Boy's soul RIP.
But from the damages, it doesn't look fatal. probably he would not have been wearing the seat belt.

Most Viewed