Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2011, 14:35   #8746
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

If the speed sensor is connected to engine/GB,then if I shift to neutral and switch off the engine as the car is rolling down a slope, will the meter show 0 km/h?
Old 10th July 2011, 14:52   #8747
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Games Goblin View Post
CBR Crashed into a median at the NH-47 by-pass (between Palarivattom-Vytilla strech). Pics from friend's fb account. Saw this myself today when going to Vytilla. My friend says that this was the first CBR delivered in Kerala (can't confirm). No news on the rider - hope he is all right
This is really sad to see, that too the bike's been just launched. The owner of the bike too would have been waiting a long time for the delivery.

I wonder why the bike has been kept on the ground in this manner instead of setting it up straight, is the owner O.K ? did you ask your friend ?
Old 10th July 2011, 20:58   #8748
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoenthusiast View Post
This is really sad to see, that too the bike's been just launched. The owner of the bike too would have been waiting a long time for the delivery.

I wonder why the bike has been kept on the ground in this manner instead of setting it up straight, is the owner O.K ? did you ask your friend ?
I can only guess the bike has been laid on the ground either because the people did not bother to put it up straight or the side stand might have gotten busted. My friend told me that the rider is OK and he sustained injuries to his leg. Hope he makes a speedy recovery.
Old 10th July 2011, 23:50   #8749
Senior - BHPian

Spotted this weird crash couple of weeks back, rashly driven Scorp first hit the divider, then turned almost 360 and finally hit(Shop) other side divider and flipped into the Fabrication shop. Still couldn't get what was driver upto or what really happened there..
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-photo0972-1600x1200.jpg  

Old 11th July 2011, 09:15   #8750
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agspins View Post
Spotted this weird crash couple of weeks back, rashly driven Scorp first hit the divider, then turned almost 360 and finally hit(Shop) other side divider and flipped into the Fabrication shop. Still couldn't get what was driver upto or what really happened there..
How Many time have we seen a Scorpio Flip... Its seems to be very unstable if driven rashly. Bye the Way most of the Scorpios are driven rashly..

I have myself seen one Flip over in MG road Bangalore in 2010 around 7am. In a road where even 60KmPh is touch. He suddenly tried to take a right and went over the median Stone and flipped over. It was a funny incident for me, as i could not imagine such a thing can happen. I was following him in my Indica on the way to office, and feel it was a last sec decision to turn hence he toppled.

Ps. No offence to any of the Scorpio owners.. Its just what i have seen and experienced.
Old 11th July 2011, 09:50   #8751
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post
A sensor in the engine will measure engine speed and not the speed of the car. It's not a direct relation, as every gear in the gearbox will produce a different reduction in speed. The vehicle speed sensor has to be mounted so as to read the rotational speed of the output shaft of the gearbox. Further reduction in speed only occurs in the differential or in the hubs(rarely) and both of these are constant values.
It is connected to a sensor and not worm gears, so presumably it measures the revs of the final output shaft. What I meant was, it is a moments job to disconnect the speedo now unlike the old cars, so it is that much easier for the service / show room guys to use your car for a couple of hundred KM without you being aware of it!
Old 11th July 2011, 10:12   #8752
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anish5225 View Post
If the speed sensor is connected to engine/GB,then if I shift to neutral and switch off the engine as the car is rolling down a slope, will the meter show 0 km/h?
No. When you shift to neutral in the GB, the input and output shafts of the gearbox are uncoupled. But this doesnt mean that the output shaft doesn't rotate anymore. The output shaft is permanently connected to the wheels, via the prop shaft, differential and drive shafts. Thus there is always a direct relation between wheel speed and speed of the GB output shaft.

Though in modern cars, it will still show zero if you dont just switch off the engine but also disconnect the battery, ie put the key in the "OFF" position. That is because the sensors and processors etc need electrical power to work. But if you keep it in the "ON" position, they will work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
It is connected to a sensor and not worm gears, so presumably it measures the revs of the final output shaft. What I meant was, it is a moments job to disconnect the speedo now unlike the old cars, so it is that much easier for the service / show room guys to use your car for a couple of hundred KM without you being aware of it!
Well, earlier with mechanical odos you actually disconnected the odometer cable at the meter and not at the GB. That made it a job which pretty much anyone could do. But today, you have to disconnect the sensor at the point where it takes the reading. And the complicated electronics is not something which anyone can do. Though for someone who knows how to do it, it is but a moment's job.

But I think no matter what the system, the people at the dealer/service station will always know how to over-ride the odometer.
Old 11th July 2011, 10:25   #8753
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajchetan View Post
How Many time have we seen a Scorpio Flip... Its seems to be very unstable if driven rashly. Bye the Way most of the Scorpios are driven rashly..

Ps. No offence to any of the Scorpio owners.. Its just what i have seen and experienced.

OT but I kinda agree and wonder if it has to do with psychology of the consumer who opts for the scorp in the first place. I think a person who seeks power and invincibility (all of us do , but it may not dominate our social or purchase instinct) is likely to buy a Scorp. Then sitting in the high chair of the Scorp, perhaps one tends to feel inflated and forget its limitations ...

In terms of driving style (and honking), most Scorpios I have seen on the road tend to behave like they have a special right of way, including when one is in bumper to bumper traffic with no place to go.

Again I don't intend to flame any Scorp owners and I accept there will be mature owners and drivers on this forum.

--Ragul

Last edited by Ragul : 11th July 2011 at 10:26.
Old 11th July 2011, 12:31   #8754
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyn View Post
Here's a totaled brand new (unregistered) Swift. It was lying outside the Jubilee Hills PS, right opposite the Porsche showroom.
I don't think anyone must have survived this crash! The whole engine was crumbled like paper!
I saw this swift on Friday late evening and again on Saturday noon. It was still unclaimed till then.
But I did not notice any shattered glass or plastic pieces on the road. So I was under the assumption it must have been an awareness drive by the local RTO.
It must have hit an oncoming vehicle at speeds in excess of 100.
God save the mortals from these demons.
Old 11th July 2011, 13:49   #8755
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajchetan View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post

In terms of driving style (and honking), most Scorpios I have seen on the road tend to behave like they have a special right of way, including when one is in bumper to bumper traffic with no place to go.

Again I don't intend to flame any Scorp owners and I accept there will be mature owners and drivers on this forum.

--Ragul
I had a thread on this sometime back.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ash-style.html

-- Torqy
Old 11th July 2011, 18:21   #8756
Team-BHP Support

This was a Jazz. Totalled I reckon, the airbags deployed. Clicked outside our local police station. There's a totaled car every Sunday morning.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-picture-171.jpg
Old 11th July 2011, 19:55   #8757
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post

Well, earlier with mechanical odos you actually disconnected the odometer cable at the meter and not at the GB. That made it a job which pretty much anyone could do. But today, you have to disconnect the sensor at the point where it takes the reading. And the complicated electronics is not something which anyone can do. Though for someone who knows how to do it, it is but a moment's job.

But I think no matter what the system, the people at the dealer/service station will always know how to over-ride the odometer.

but since this has been discussed to some detail, one question - if the odo is disconeected wouldn't the ECU recognize there is a problem and store some error message?

I mean engine shaft is moving, clutch is engaged, so why is the drive shaft sensor showing 0 rpm?

Also, assuming ECU stores the mileage information independently of odo (is this correct?) - is there a way to check how much that mileage is?
Old 11th July 2011, 20:43   #8758
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vina View Post
but since this has been discussed to some detail, one question - if the odo is disconeected wouldn't the ECU recognize there is a problem and store some error message?

I mean engine shaft is moving, clutch is engaged, so why is the drive shaft sensor showing 0 rpm?

Also, assuming ECU stores the mileage information independently of odo (is this correct?) - is there a way to check how much that mileage is?
Well I am not an ECU programming expert, but may be it would store an error message. But even if it did, how would a common car buyer retrieve this info. Also would the dealer not have the requisite software to swipe the slate clean, so to speak.

Though one thing is there, in the modern car, there is no way to disconnect the odo independently of the speedo. So if you take a test drive from a dealer and the TD car's speedo isnt working, you can suspect something fishy.
Old 12th July 2011, 07:53   #8759
Senior - BHPian

Happened yesterday morning at a place called "Munambam Kavala" on the Kodungallur-Edappally stretch of NH17.

Was wondering for a long time why the electricity post was not hit by a truck. The post was placed in such a way that two heavy vehicles cannot cross each other at the point - one of them have to wait for the other to cross.

This guy seemed to have been in a hurry. The post is about 50 metres away from where it actually was!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_0869.jpg  

Old 12th July 2011, 08:10   #8760
Senior - BHPian

Too bad. That looks like a pretty nice truck. The owner will probably end up replacing the good and comfortable factory made cab, with an uncomfortable local made one. Pity the driver, first the accident and then a crappy cab.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks