Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2011, 00:07   #8986
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsnt View Post
Alto rotated after the crash as per the tyre marks in first pic as they are coming from the road side.
The speed does not seem to be very as the damage is very less,might be around 20-30 at impact
As for foot path impact, the front wheel seem to have intruded a bit
Yeah, the Alto seems to have rotated. Even the concrete block is damaged more on the road side. But rotating at that angle will require much higher speed and the damage does not justify that speed.
My guess is that it hit the pavement at a very high speed, (flat tyre, and a possibly colapsed suspension) got flung into the air, was rotating mid air, lost speed when it landed just before the pole and hit it.
Old 17th August 2011, 00:30   #8987
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
Witnessed a bike accident on my way home today. On my way home (new Infopark road, for those who know), there is a dangerous crest as shown by the black lines in the picture below.

Attachment 594056
You have whole lot of these type of small bridges near to the water bodies of Kerala [Alappey, Harippad, Kumarakom]. These can be very deceving and can take the vehicle with speeds above 30-40 kmph, off the road.

They should install some speed breakers if they construct such stupid things !
Old 17th August 2011, 08:53   #8988
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
most probable cause - the driver hit the divider; visibility was low due to rains.
It seems like this is a regular problem in Bangalore. There are so many dividers around, even to indicate lanes, but none are marked with that V shaped white paint and reflectors.
I have seen quite a few cars going over these small boulders that are planted in the middle of the road.
I guess, SUV/MUV are the way forward, as long as authorities' apathy continues.
Old 17th August 2011, 09:58   #8989
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas Ingle View Post
Yeah, the Alto seems to have rotated. Even the concrete block is damaged more on the road side. But rotating at that angle will require much higher speed and the damage does not justify that speed.
My guess is that it hit the pavement at a very high speed, (flat tyre, and a possibly colapsed suspension) got flung into the air, was rotating mid air, lost speed when it landed just before the pole and hit it.
Alto is a light car it will swing even at low speed crash if there is a single person in it. Happened with my friend's car, it hit divider at 30 kmph and rotated 180 degrees crushed engine bay on one side
Old 17th August 2011, 10:02   #8990
Distinguished - BHPian

Indica spotted near Krishnaghiri and the truck near Palghat
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img00783201108161238.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img00785201108161649.jpg  

Old 17th August 2011, 10:11   #8991
BHPian

On a serious note, I think the alto entered the footpath at the very beginning. It is otherwise impossible to get on that foot path w/o any damage to the wheels. It requires a bit of hard work, some precision and a lot of alcohol to end up like this [/quote]

Quote:
Alto rotated after the crash as per the tyre marks in first pic as they are coming from the road side.
The speed does not seem to be very as the damage is very less,might be around 20-30 at impact
As for foot path impact, the front wheel seem to have intruded a bit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas Ingle View Post
Quote:
Alto is a light car it will swing even at low speed crash if there is a single person in it. Happened with my friend's car, it hit divider at 30 kmph and rotated 180 degrees crushed engine bay on one side
See there was no damage to the pavement or trees. Plus there were no tyre marks on the road/pavement. The only cause I can think of is that there is a road behind the alto (near the advertising board). The alto must have been coming from that road and apparently took a right before actually reaching the crossing. The fact that it banged into the first available pole also points towards this reasoning. A definite case of drunken driving.
Old 17th August 2011, 10:13   #8992
BHPian

My God.. The condition of Indica is not surprising but look at the Rear Wheels/axle of the Truck. I hope and pray the passenger are ok.
Old 17th August 2011, 13:53   #8993
BHPian

Quote:
If alto is so light, it seems to be more unsafe than I thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudder View Post
On a serious note, I think the alto entered the footpath at the very beginning. It is otherwise impossible to get on that foot path w/o any damage to the wheels. It requires a bit of hard work, some precision and a lot of alcohol to end up like this
See there was no damage to the pavement or trees. Plus there were no tyre marks on the road/pavement. The only cause I can think of is that there is a road behind the alto (near the advertising board). The alto must have been coming from that road and apparently took a right before actually reaching the crossing. The fact that it banged into the first available pole also points towards this reasoning.
If you observe very carefully, there are slight tyre marks on the pavement close to the car which point in another direction. Also the tyre is flat. So just a possibility that it hit the pavement.

This happened yesterday on Nagar-Pune highway. My friend was travelling down the same road and saw the bus lying by road side. The bus hit the divider first and then toppled. This happened at a very high speed and the bus dragged some distance after it fell on its side. 3 people lost their lives and another 17 are serious. Few people said it happened because of tyre burst, but I dont see any flat tyre in the pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img0362a.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img0363a.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img0364a.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img0367a.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img0373a.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img0377a.jpg  

Old 17th August 2011, 14:07   #8994
Senior - BHPian

As much as I feel sad for the people who died or got injured in that bus, I cannot stop asking myself why do these private volvos/MBs drive rash. With power comes responsibility, someone should have taught them that.
Old 17th August 2011, 14:19   #8995
Distinguished - BHPian

here's a case of minor hit, major un-driveability, the black OHC.
he had a minor dent near the front hinge, but it messed the line enough to not allow the door to close.
Swinging open every time he swerved/turned left.
one hand on door, one on wheel, one on the gear lever...(()
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc_0104.jpg  

Old 17th August 2011, 15:34   #8996
Distinguished - BHPian

No airline pilot would be allowed to fly if they had the same rash attitude to the lives of their passengers. Bus drivers have the same responsibilities. Somehow, they are not aware or do not care, and there is no enforcement.
Old 17th August 2011, 15:47   #8997
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
As much as I feel sad for the people who died or got injured in that bus, I cannot stop asking myself why do these private volvos/MBs drive rash. With power comes responsibility, someone should have taught them that.
Seat Belts ! Seat Belts ! Seat belts !!

When the hell will manufacturers provide seat belts for all passengers .I remember seeing cheaper Mitsubishi buses in Europe come with seatbelts for all seats !

Here ,forget seatbelts or ABS,our buses dont even have the safety hammers or proper indicators for emergency exits!

The bus doesnt look bad from outside.This clearly looks like a high speed skid where the driver must have either dozed off or must have swerved to avoid something at high speeds.

Its a shame ,that inspite of paying close to a Crore for the bus ,operators feels its a waste to spend on seat belts .I am sure the 3 fatalities would have been Zero had the passengers worn seat belts .

I always get a stare from fellow passengers whenever i wear seat belts in a bus ( whenever available).When people can wear seat belts in a car ,why cant someone wear seatbelts in a bus that does similar speeds as most cars do these days

Last edited by GTO : 18th August 2011 at 14:11. Reason: Please do NOT use abusive language, even indirectly, on this forum
speedsatya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2011, 16:40   #8998
Senior - BHPian

@speedsatya
Its the Indian mentality which you cannot change. Here in Mumbai, the BEST buses have seat belts for drivers but I haven't seen a single driver ever wearing seat belts. If such is the attitude of drivers than let apart passengers. Even if they have seat belts for passengers not a single one would wear it, they all would argue that these seat belts are causing more trouble.
What is the safety of passengers in Mumbai local trains, during peak hours all of them hanging out, squeezing in every square inch of space.
In India just take care of your safety, working and thinking for Indian masses is just not possible for now. OT.
Old 17th August 2011, 17:23   #8999
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
I remember seeing cheaper Mitsubishi buses in Europe come with seatbelts for all seats !
Seat belts are there, but they are not used. Just last week, I happened to travel to Mumbai by an almost brand new Volvo bus (Shivneri). The seat belts were very much present for all passengers and drivers, but the MSTRC guys had folded them back and put them in the magazine holder on the seat back.
Old 17th August 2011, 17:42   #9000
Zed
BHPian

The problem - as rightly highlighted in many posts - is with the attitude towards road safety. A seatbelt is only effective if worn. All active and passive safety devices are of limited consequence if the driver of a vehicle decides that he\she will not drive defensively. While a lot of discussion centre around safety features of the vehicle (seat belts, airbags, ABS) , failures of vehicular systems ( brake failure, tyre burst etc) - the irrefutable fact remains that a vast majority of road accidents can be ascribed to a few simple reasons. Driver training - which is non existent. Licensing systems which are at least 50 years out of synch with current roads & vehicles. Traffic management that doe snot go beyond one way streets, badly designed speed breakers and other motley assortment of bits and pieces that pass off as markers and barriers. And an enforcement system which is ...well the less said the better.

We can have the best of cars, trucks and buses but as the saying goes even the best Automobiles can have a loose nut behind the steering wheel. Sadly for us almost 99% of the automobiles on Indian roads suffer from this affliction.

Most Viewed