Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2011, 00:44   #9121
BANNED

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
The car is parked right next to an 11 KV line[?] or a transformer. Could be a reason of sparks flying from the line? Could he not park the car 10 metres up or down further??!

Culprit most likely would be an aftermarket car stereo installation or some electrical mods. Just a strong hunch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
My suspicions from 800 kms away based on everyday sights:!
Its most likely the U-Turn that the A-Star decided to take from a left lane, and a speeding Audi that was nowhere close in sight seconds back when the a-star driver "looked".

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaeJay View Post
5. 3*PMS
LOL I like that!!
Maybe somebody needs to invent a PMS meter/guage in the dashboard of the car? Like the in-steering breath-Analyzer?

--Ragul

Last edited by Ragul : 5th September 2011 at 00:47.
Old 5th September 2011, 08:05   #9122
Senior - BHPian

There was an accident on NH 48 on Kunigal bypass yesterday at around 8 pm, involving a tractor, a Verna and an Indica taxi.
That stretch is made 2-way, as the other side is under construction. But there is only a makeshift sign with an X and the board itself is just a metal sheet.
Even I did not bother much about that board, until I met stagnant traffic. Then 2 ambulances came, struggled to reach the accident spot through the stopped cars, and finally made it.
It looked like the Verna had failed to see the oncoming tractor (possibly without lights) and had crashed head on. Verna's front was pretty smashed and even roof had caved in.
Indica had probably tried to avoid the collision and had gone off the road. The road is at 10 feet elevation! It did not look like the car had much damage on it. But who wears seatbelts in such cars anyway?

I don't think the front passengers of Verna had any chance of survuval without seatbelts. Waiting to see TV news.
Old 5th September 2011, 09:26   #9123
BHPian

As per today's news paper, another Kallada bus met with an accident yesterday night near Coimbatore bye pass with a lorry. Drivers of both the vehicles died. Waiting for more news. As per newspaper, bus burned and both the drivers were charred to death. Kallada is often getting into accidents nowadays...
Old 5th September 2011, 10:51   #9124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalini_g View Post
As per today's news paper, another Kallada bus met with an accident yesterday night near Coimbatore bye pass with a lorry. Drivers of both the vehicles died. Waiting for more news. As per newspaper, bus burned and both the drivers were charred to death. Kallada is often getting into accidents nowadays...
Both drivers died in that accident and 18 injured. Also both vehicles caught fire.

Kallada operators are against over speeding (for better mileage) but still involved in many accidents.
Old 5th September 2011, 11:23   #9125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
Both drivers died in that accident and 18 injured. Also both vehicles caught fire.

Kallada operators are against over speeding (for better mileage) but still involved in many accidents.
What bus was that ? Strangely ,buses are catching fire these days on a more frequent basis!! Is it because these were on full tanks ?Or because Volvos( I am assuming its a Volvo again) have their fuel tanks in the front as compared to other buses.

Dunno about the MB buses.

And ,here we are talking about both drivers charred to death .Usually one driver should have been sleeping in the rear ..is it the cleaner ?
Old 5th September 2011, 11:52   #9126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post

And ,here we are talking about both drivers charred to death .Usually one driver should have been sleeping in the rear ..is it the cleaner ?
Drivers of both bus and lorry died in this accident. Not the second driver of the bus.
Old 5th September 2011, 12:16   #9127
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
Is it because these were on full tanks ?
These buses usually fill their tanks to the brim from a petrol bunk in Perundurai, which is owned by the truck owners association I guess. So the tank should have been full.

PS:: Not sure why do they prefer to fill the fuel from there, may be some discounts or extra perks?

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 5th September 2011 at 12:24.
Old 5th September 2011, 12:17   #9128
BHPian

I don't think Kallada rus a volvo multi from pathanamthitta to BLR. Their B9 is between Kottarakkara and BLR. The one from PTM is a sleeper bus .
Old 5th September 2011, 12:42   #9129
Senior - BHPian

These accidents and fires once again point to simple measures like having marked Emergency Exit windows in Volvos.Thats the first thing i check when I sit in an AC bus.The newer volvos do have the second door that serve as emergency exits ,but dunno if they really open .

About safety hammers ,guess its similar to the seat belts .Nobody cares !
Old 5th September 2011, 12:47   #9130
Senior - BHPian

Drivers charred in bus-lorry collision in Coimbatore - The Times of India

Here is the link to this accident(Kallada sleeper).

Quote:
COIMBATORE: Drivers of a bus and a lorry were charred to death when the vehicles collided near Karpagam University on the deserted L&T bypass road in Coimbatore in the early hours of Monday. Forty eight passengers of the Bangalore-bound private bus from Pathanamthitta in Kerala had a providential escape when the luxury sleeper vehicle and the lorry caught fire around 1.15am.

The bus driver was identified as Mohandas, a native of Thrissur in Kerala, working with the Bangalore-based Kallada Tour and Travel Operators. The lorry driver is yet to be identified.
Old 5th September 2011, 14:00   #9131
BHPian

From the above report looks like the bus was an AL Sleeper (repeat of KPN accident) and not a Volvo.
Old 5th September 2011, 14:32   #9132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post

I don't think the front passengers of Verna had any chance of survuval without seatbelts. Waiting to see TV news.
There were 2 people in the car and both of them did not survive the accident. One of them was a close relative of my friend. The other person too was kind of a mentor to my friend and was very close to him.
Old 5th September 2011, 18:02   #9133
BHPian

My driver today told me that he read in the paper about a Skoda - Meru crash that left 2 occupants of the car and one other person dead. Case of drunk driving by the (late) driver of the Octavia.
Pic:
Fan photos from Bangalore Traffic Police | Facebook
Old 5th September 2011, 18:48   #9134
BHPian

Udupi: Teacher's Day Tragedy - Five Lecturers Injured in Car-Bus Collision

Udupi: Teacher's Day Tragedy - Five Lecturers Injured in Car-Bus Collision

Pics and news courtesy: www.daijiworld.com

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-acc.jpg
Old 5th September 2011, 20:11   #9135
Distinguished - BHPian

Fourteen bus passengers, including three children, were killed and 33 others were injured in a road accident involving a government bus and a private bus on the Tiruchi-Madurai National Highway at Lanjamedu junction near Kovilpatti.

Looks like the government local bus was on the wrong lane of the Highway.

Source: The Hindu : States / Tamil Nadu : 14 killed as buses collide near Tiruchi

I have seen lot of Private and Government long distance buses taking wrong lane just to enter any of the hotels on the other side of the road and causing several accidents these days.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks