Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2011, 02:21   #9196
BANNED

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
It's solidly built but I understand that modern cars are designed to absorb maximum impact and keep passengers safe- that may be the reason.

If the car has absorbed all the impact and saved the biker from crippling injuries or death, it is a job well done by the engineers. But these things cannot be measured for every accident.

--Ragul
Old 12th September 2011, 02:27   #9197

Hey, Totally unrelated to the Azhar's son's bike antics..
A truck crashed onto my car last night. I am trying to research and find help on the insurance and also would love to get help on the extent of damage caused.
Old 12th September 2011, 12:54   #9198
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishu.alex View Post
Hey, Totally unrelated to the Azhar's son's bike antics..
A truck crashed onto my car last night. I am trying to research and find help on the insurance and also would love to get help on the extent of damage caused.
Sorry for the incident.
I am not expert on the topic. But few cues from my side.

1. Post the car model people might help in better manner
2. What is the insurance provider of your car.
3. Have you filed the FIR or not?
4. Was the accident your fault or truck driver's fault?

Whatever be the insurance provider they will have a toll-free number / contact number which you can call and report the accident.
Call them, they will take you thro the process to be done for processing the payment.
Old 12th September 2011, 13:17   #9199
BHPian

Little late on response guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
How and why does this tyre burst happens?
Dieseldunk & for_cars1 have put it correctly

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
Which car from Mitsubishi is this?

This is a case of tyre burst, but the rear end seems to be a complete mess. Do not see any airbags that were deployed. So assuming that there was no frontal impact. That is surprising.
That’s correct Amit, there was no front impact and I assume there were no on comming vehicle too. The car toppled after the burst. Not sure which variant of Mitsu it was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
Glad to know the occupants are safe, but how come the rear is so much of mess when the car had a tire burst? Was it rear ended as well?
Not much sure about it, but what I came to know is it toppled 2 - 3 times after and there was no mention of rear impact. Didn’t check for more details as the family was recovering from this incident.

Cheers !!!
Milestone is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2011, 10:26   #9200
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkin evoisrevo View Post
My driver today told me that he read in the paper about a Skoda - Meru crash that left 2 occupants of the car and one other person dead. Case of drunk driving by the (late) driver of the Octavia.
Pic:
Fan photos from Bangalore Traffic Police | Facebook

Here is the news coverage of the accident.

The cab drive is the brother-in-law of a person who works as an office boy in my company. We are trying to help him financially for the medical expenses.

Last edited by gurudutt : 13th September 2011 at 10:28.
Old 13th September 2011, 15:04   #9201
BHPian

Sad, Looks like the Skoda car jumped into Meru Cab after hitting the center median. As the Meru Cab's front is intact while Windshield and roof are damaged.
Old 13th September 2011, 21:32   #9202
BHPian

ORR, Hyderabad

This happened at a spot which I have passed many times, along a stretch of road where I have seen two dozen superbikes on a Sunday morning with their riders drag racing and wheelie-ing and generally showing off to each other.

Azharuddin’s son critical after bike mishap, friend dies - Indian Express

"The accident occurred between 8 and 9 am, near the Narsingi check post on the Outer Ring Road.." In fact if these times are right I had passed that very spot less than an hour before the accident occurred, on my way to Osman Sagar on my Sunday morning ride.

I can only express my condolences for the young boy who died, and the young man who clings to life by a tenuous thread.

Azhar's son continues to remain... - Google News

Last edited by Rollin' Thunda : 13th September 2011 at 21:41.
Old 14th September 2011, 01:08   #9203
Senior - BHPian

Re: ORR, Hyderabad

I don't understand one simple question when dozens of people can spend several lakhs on the bikes, lakhs on betting and in Azhar's son's case it seems the bet was for 5 lakhs and they lack a basic ground rule

1. Are the roads safe/capable enough to race at high speeds.
2. What are the safety measures in case of any emergency (though illegal the racing is done but safety cannot be ignored)

What are parents doing when they know their kids have super bikes and cars, they are responsible for the disasters caused.

ORR is being misused than used, this stretch of road is very tempting but only mature people understand what can go wrong here on high speeds. I suggest the authorities to have patrol beefed up on these roads, CCTV should be arranged to avoid further incidents like this.

Hyderabad has been witnessing lot of illegal street racing in the recent times, I wish there was a racing track for these "need for speed guys" where they can pay and perform at least there would be some place which is meant for real racing which has got safety feature also.
Old 14th September 2011, 03:37   #9204
BHPian

The Hyderabad ORR is actually built to some very good standards technically. I frequently drive in US and whenever i am on the ORR i feel i am in US. Its that good to be frank. BUT there are some issues at certain ramps where the roads merge. I have noticed a lot of sand coming onto the main road through the ramps at the point of merger. This is OK for cars at any speeds but for bikes doing 200+ and negotiating a curve this can be dangerous. Even in US i have seen superbike accidents on expressways. These bikes can safely be put to the limit on specially designed race tracks only. Also it is a known fact that when you are doing such high speeds (even 100+) the pillion rider should not be there.
Old 14th September 2011, 06:18   #9205
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Hyderabad ORR is actually built to some very good standards technically. I frequently drive in US and whenever i am on the ORR i feel i am in US.
I do not agree that the Hyd ORR(especially the airport stretch) is built with good standards. Yes, it is good from width and laning perspective. But the basic engineering is gone for a toss as the road is too wavery! You feel just sitting in a boat as you can feel the road joints passing under you with the wave like motion. The angle of banking on turnings is thrown out of the window!

I agree that it is much an improvement for Indian standards but cannot be compared to US roads!

Coming to this accident, just because it is a super bike and a super dad's son this is being highlighted by media too much. There are daily deaths on ORR, if you want to know just talk to any Meru cabs driver, he shall let you know why they let the right lane be empty and drive on the remaining lanes
Old 14th September 2011, 11:21   #9206
Senior - BHPian

Here's a pic of Ayazuddin's Gixxer after the accident!
Courtesy : Farhan Mohammad.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-farhan-mohammad.jpg  

shyn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th September 2011, 14:33   #9207
Senior - BHPian

In/ around Pune:

Seventeen students of the Abhinav English Medium School in Ambegaon had a miraculous escape on Tuesday morning after the private van carrying them hit a rock on the service road near Katraj- Dehu bypass and turned over. Four of them sustained minor injuries, however, parents have chosen not to press charges against the driver of the van.

The incident once again brings to mind the kind of vehicles used to transport students to and from school which include overcrowded auto rickshaws, private buses, civic buses and private vans.

The incident occurred around 12.30 pm. The van, bearing the registration number MH-12-BP-0025, failed to climb a steep gradient and started rolling back. While rolling backward, it collided with the railings on the side of the road. After hitting the railings, it turned 180 degrees and hit the railings again before coming to a halt.

http://www.punemirror.in/article/2/2...-students.html

Last edited by selfdrive : 14th September 2011 at 14:35.
Old 14th September 2011, 14:58   #9208
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
The incident once again brings to mind the kind of vehicles used to transport students to and from school which include overcrowded auto rickshaws, private buses, civic buses and private vans.
Did you notice that the registration number is a private registration? Black on white plates? Is this allowed? I thought school buses and vans need to have commercial registration (black on yellow). In Pune atleast, 8 seater Omni vans are easily seen carrying 9-10 kids, in fact maybe even more!

Also, have you noticed, most of these are LPG/CNG converts and are reeking of LPG/CNG smell whenever you go near to them. Everytime I wonder, what guarantee there is, that the gas is not leaking?
Old 14th September 2011, 15:28   #9209
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post
Did you notice that the registration number is a private registration? Black on white plates? Is this allowed? I thought school buses and vans need to have commercial registration (black on yellow). In Pune atleast, 8 seater Omni vans are easily seen carrying 9-10 kids, in fact maybe even more!

Also, have you noticed, most of these are LPG/CNG converts and are reeking of LPG/CNG smell whenever you go near to them. Everytime I wonder, what guarantee there is, that the gas is not leaking?

The thing is, as per the report, the van is not in operation on behalf of school. It is a pooled effort from a group of parents, more like an auto rickshaw. But yes, still it should be a taxi!
Old 14th September 2011, 15:36   #9210
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
The thing is, as per the report, the van is not in operation on behalf of school. It is a pooled effort from a group of parents, more like an auto rickshaw. But yes, still it should be a taxi!
Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post
W.A.G.7, it is shocking how we put such a low price on the safety of our children. Most of these vehicles stuff children in like sardines and there is no respect for their space or individuality. Ever seen one of these drivers talking to a kid?

Anil, I dont understand why any parent would opt for anotehr option over a safer school option. Perhaps the school bus does not offer enough flexibility or is simply too expensive. Not sure of the exact reasons here, but am glad for the kids that none are injured.

It is high time that road safety for children be taken seriously. After all they are not aware enough to prevent/ mitigate such issues.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks