Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2011, 14:10   #9271
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

may their sols rest in peace . A case of haste turned waste.
Old 22nd September 2011, 14:22   #9272
BHPian

Even I thought, it's an Esteem, mistaking the bonnet for boot. Though the car in an Alto, and if it were an esteem, it lost it boot somewhere down there. :-)

Last edited by aditbelw : 22nd September 2011 at 14:25.
Old 22nd September 2011, 14:24   #9273
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by onesomeone View Post
This happened in Delhi..got the pics from a friend of mine on facebook. Don't have much details..thought you would want to see the sequential chain of the events.
Quote:
Originally Posted by athanedar View Post
The car looks to be Maruti Esteem. Looks like the hand brake was not engaged and the car went into the ditch.
Where in Delhi , did that happen?
Clearly looks like the driver ignored the caution sign and parked at the wrong place at a wrong time.
The last pic is actually horrendous.

It's definitely an Alto.
Old 22nd September 2011, 15:10   #9274
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyBear View Post
This accident occured near Kodairoad, where this Wagon-R tried to cross the unmanned level crossing. Two people died on the spot. (News Paper reported this vehicle as Omni)

Incidentally this train was a Speed Test-train, as the railway wants to increase the speed to 125KM / hour in this stretch ( Between Dindukkal to Madurai)
Sympathies because the souls departed.

No sympathy because they did not follow the railway / driving rule at unmanned level crossings. I hope at least people look at this and learn. They could spend 3.5 lac on a Maruti, but could not spend 2 mins patiently at a level crossing.

In my personal experience, when i go on long trips on the highway, I have noticed that when i slow down at a level crssing (Manned / unmanned) people behind me honk profusely and almost keep the hand on the horn till we speed up. The average uneducated driver does not have the courtesy / brain to interpret that we must slow down at a un-manned level crossing. This honking is mainly by yellow board drivers (Bus, Tempo, Taxi etc).

Last edited by scopriobharath : 22nd September 2011 at 15:16.
scopriobharath is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2011, 16:04   #9275
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
Where in Delhi , did that happen?
Clearly looks like the driver ignored the caution sign and parked at the wrong place at a wrong time.
The last pic is actually horrendous.

It's definitely an Alto.

Guys, I have absolutely no idea of the location or the background. As I mentioned I got the pics from FB page of my friend. I shared here as the pics looked a bit funny (no pun intended) considering the quality of the roads that the vehicle caved in and also seeing the pics there was no human life involved. Personally speaking with no offence meant to anybody the accident pics with human lives involved makes me uncomfortable and to be frank gives me a feel that we are disrespecting their final moments. As I said that's totally my personal opinion and I am not looking for any reactions to my thoughts shared.
Old 22nd September 2011, 16:32   #9276
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This accident occured near Kodairoad, where this Wagon-R tried to cross the unmanned level crossing. Two people died on the spot. (News Paper reported this vehicle as Omni)

Incidentally this train was a Speed Test-train, as the railway wants to increase the speed to 125KM / hour in this stretch ( Between Dindukkal to Madurai)
I regard this as absolute stupidity and hasty action. The drive has no rights to sacrifice other passengers life for his immature decision. There is no way any automobile can match with the power of a train, people still do it even though they might have come across umpteen examples. I think the time has come to have huge hoardings of these pictures near the unmanned level crossings and put a statement " Do you still want to do it! ? at least the stunt drivers will get a before hand picture of their future if they still want to do.
chanu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2011, 18:14   #9277
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Dear friends, the inset is too graphic and gives goosehumps. suggest remove.
RajaTaurus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2011, 19:14   #9278
BHPian

^^ I second that. Please remove the insert PIC.
Old 22nd September 2011, 19:58   #9279
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch.nathan View Post
^^ I second that. Please remove the insert PIC.
As your signature says, the photo only depicts 'certainty'.
It should remain to serve as a grim reminder to all who at times do give in to impulsive actions while behind the wheel.
Old 22nd September 2011, 22:35   #9280
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
Sympathies because the souls departed.

No sympathy because they did not follow the railway / driving rule at unmanned level crossings. I hope at least people look at this and learn. They could spend 3.5 lac on a Maruti, but could not spend 2 mins patiently at a level crossing.

In my personal experience, when i go on long trips on the highway, I have noticed that when i slow down at a level crssing (Manned / unmanned) people behind me honk profusely and almost keep the hand on the horn till we speed up. The average uneducated driver does not have the courtesy / brain to interpret that we must slow down at a un-manned level crossing. This honking is mainly by yellow board drivers (Bus, Tempo, Taxi etc).
Very well said. We all may be sympathising with the deceased because they are no more but look at them again. I am sure these are the type of drivers who raise your BP by honking profusely from behind. And they honk incessantly till you drive off the road into a canal or bushes or whatever is abutting the road. Just one word for them --- uneducated moronic rogueish drivers. Ok, that's lot of words. We may feel sorry for them because now they are dead but they are the type who run their cars over other innocent road users by their maniacal driving. And they are always in a tearing hurry. Don't know why they do what they do to save 5-10 minutes at most.

I'm sure westerners ( who generally are very road-disciplined ) seeing us drive like maniacs must be thinking, " Indians value time very much. In fact more than anyone else on this planet. So much so that they even put their lives on line for the sake of saving a few seconds.". All this hurrying as though we are rushing to do some constructive work at the other end and every second matters. God save us from these maniacal drivers.
Old 23rd September 2011, 14:29   #9281
BHPian

Saw this accident vehicle yesterday night Opposite shoppers stop in Wakdewadi. There wall that the car crashed into is a historical monument on the left side of the road. For people with knowledge of this road it is not an issue.

Looks like an overtaking manouvere gone wrong. At night there are some heavy vehicles and buses on this road. Probably tried overtaking from left and crashed because the driver did not expect this monument in the middle of the road.

probably not wearing seatbelt as the windscreen glass had smashed from the inside. there was blood on the side of the car as well.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-acc-1.jpg
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-acc2.jpg
torquecurve is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2011, 15:21   #9282
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for sharing that torquecurve. To all those who are not much aware @ Pune, this is actually an old heritage structure bang in the middle of the widened road (aprox 150 years old, or could be more). Hence this has not been touched during road widening. The road has been widened till Shopper's stop & it is suddenly reduced to half near this structure, as it occupied half of the carriage width. Its high time the corporation wakes up & moves this structure or demarcate it properly (with reflectors or amber lights blinking all through night).

I guess this car driver would have been outside of Pune & wouldn't have thought in wildest of his dreams that the road would end abruptly at this structure.
Old 23rd September 2011, 17:57   #9283
Distinguished - BHPian

Not surprising at all. Here in Bengaluru, a small place of worship once existed in the middle of RV Road (Teachers' College Circle) which once got demolished as a truck had hit the same.
However, the same temple was reconstructed back in the same place within the next few days/months.
This one blocks the left lane almost completely.
Anyone new to the city, driving late night at considerably faster speeds or even rainy nights will surely be woken up from their driving seats for a moment.
Old 23rd September 2011, 18:25   #9284
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquecurve View Post
Saw this accident vehicle yesterday night Opposite shoppers stop in Wakdewadi. There wall that the car crashed into is a historical monument on the left side of the road. For people with knowledge of this road it is not an issue.

Looks like an overtaking manouvere gone wrong. At night there are some heavy vehicles and buses on this road. Probably tried overtaking from left and crashed because the driver did not expect this monument in the middle of the road.

probably not wearing seatbelt as the windscreen glass had smashed from the inside. there was blood on the side of the car as well.

Attachment 613908
Attachment 613909
This is clearly a case of overspeeding. If the driver was following speed limits, he would have stopped in time or at least escape with minimum damages to the car.
Old 23rd September 2011, 18:34   #9285
Distinguished - BHPian

Apart from worship places in middle of the road, we can also find dividers starting with no indications. I have seen these kind of dividers causing several accidents both in hyderabad and bangalore. May be it happens in other places as well.

Most Viewed