Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2011, 00:09   #9301
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

For folks driving out of MTP towards Hebbal - Have you guys noticed a mangled up Red Mitsubishi Lancer on the service lane? Each day I see one or the other part missing from it.
Old 27th September 2011, 00:28   #9302
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
shoulder often makes sense to pass them but more often if we are unlucky, we'll see an almost dead end.
then move to the shoulder, ensure that it is clear any obstacles and then attempt an overtaking maneuver.
Clear or not clear. Safe speed or not - Shoulder are NEVER meant for regular driving/overtaking. Just my 2 cents.

As suggested by KiloAlpha - Trucks or anything that are hogging both the lanes competing on "Who's the slowest" - Wait for a winner before attempting an overtake!

Last edited by benbsb29 : 27th September 2011 at 16:18. Reason: Merging back-to-back posts. Plz use the Edit button if posting within 30 mins of previous post + duplicate text removed.
Old 27th September 2011, 14:14   #9303
BHPian

Sad news....had an accident today, a bus rammed me from behind as I had to brake quickly to avoid a couple on a motor cycle who in turn had to break suddenly because some idiot without a helmet decided to cut across the road at break neck speed....I seem to have a bit of pain on my neck, but otherwise ok.

My poor car has been damaged on the rear and side because of this idiot. Luckily I was in the city and must have been travelling at around 30-40 km/h when this happened. And luckily the couple on the motor cycle in front did not get hit....

I then had to spend more than an hour at the local police station to get a complaint filed for insurance....just left the car off at the garage...no car for a few days now.

Broke the rear tail light, rear bumper is a goner...also the rear bottom panel and rear side panel and door panel have got hit....

mav2000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2011, 14:38   #9304
BHPian

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Abusive language – whether used directly or indirectly - is STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. A decent communication protocol must be adhered to. Foul language and use of abusive words/photographs in posts/avatars/signatures/topics is STRICTLY prohibited.

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 28th September 2011 at 11:12.
Positron is offline   Received Infraction
Old 27th September 2011, 14:46   #9305
Distinguished - BHPian

Two idiots, of which the biggest was the bus driver, for not keeping sufficient distance.

Sorry for your car, and for your neck. Very much suggest that you get the neck checked out, even if it does not feel like much, whiplash problems can develop later. It is worth the cost of some investigation. Hope all is well.

<crossposted with Positron>

Positron... sorry, but sounds like you were too close.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 27th September 2011 at 14:50.
Old 27th September 2011, 14:55   #9306
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav2000 View Post
Sad news....had an accident today, a bus rammed me from behind as I had to brake quickly to avoid a couple on a motor cycle who in turn had to break suddenly because some idiot without a helmet decided to cut across the road at break neck speed....I seem to have a bit of pain on my neck, but otherwise ok.
Sad to know about the accident (feel sorry for you & your car), but thank your stars that you are safe & most importantly the couple on the bike were untouched. Damages to the car can be repaired, but the damages to life & limb are irreversible.

Just a query to you, were your brake lamps in working condition? The bus behind you must surely be tailgating, else seeing your brake lamps on, it should have stopped behind you without touching you had it kept a safe distance. Normally in city traffic I follow 2 thumb rules.

1. If you are following a vehicle without brake lamps, keep at least 2 cars distance between that vehicle & your car. Increase the safe distance with increasing speed.

2. If you are being followed by a heavy vechile (a truck or a bus), keep tapping on the brake intermittently, just that the brake lamps are switched on (This to wake up the driver behind you, so that he keeps a safe distance). In emergency braking the heavy vehicle would cover twice (or more) the distance than you, before it comes to a halt.
AutoIndian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th September 2011, 14:56   #9307
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
<crossposted with Positron>

Positron... sorry, but sounds like you were too close.
I am well used to keeping the distance, especially since I had my 8 month old daughter in the car unsecured !! ( I still can't believe I did that - I don't normally get out without her on safely secured on the car seat). I think the distance and my reaction time was what saved the day, but the problem was complicated by the crappy breaks on the car (master cylinder issue or something) + the bike cutting in front leaving me even less room to break into.

Of course, if I had rear-ended the people carrier, it would have been my fault entirely. However, if the people carrier driver were do something like that during his driving test here, he would have failed the test as it's irresponsible and inconsiderate driving. There's also the matter of people pulling in and breaking if you leave a safe amount of distance, but that's no good excuse for driving dangerously though.
Old 27th September 2011, 15:15   #9308
BHPian

I too was in similiar situation with a friend Once on DEL-CHD highway . while trying to save a dog. A person in truck behind me braked severely and stopped just in time. driver got out and asked me the reason for sudden braking. his Suggestion: -

When On highway , don;t brake suddenly if you have a small animal in front like dog / snake etc. Although it;s wrong to kill somebody but you might be risking those on the back. Human life is more precious than a dog any day .
Old 27th September 2011, 15:20   #9309
BHPian

Thanks for the concern guys....yes I plan to go to the doctor if the pain persists tomorrow....I wish I could have caught that stupid biker man.....
Old 27th September 2011, 18:20   #9310
Senior - BHPian

Sorry to read about this and glad that no body is hurt.

Quote:
Thanks for the concern guys....yes I plan to go to the doctor if the pain persists tomorrow....I wish I could have caught that stupid biker man.....
I am sure the biker must be oblivious to the damage that he had caused behind him and repeated the same act at the next intersection.
Old 27th September 2011, 19:05   #9311
BHPian

Saw accident debris and Police vehicles on BETL this evening around 530pm, just after the ramp-up (from ECity).
Further down, an Ambulance was rushing towards the scene. Couldn't stop to get more details due to traffic.
Old 27th September 2011, 19:20   #9312
Senior - BHPian

I tend to follow that given the speed i might be driving at that point , in fact its an unsaid norm in the hills as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sushilkumar View Post
I too was in similiar situation with a friend Once on DEL-CHD highway . while trying to save a dog. A person in truck behind me braked severely and stopped just in time. driver got out and asked me the reason for sudden braking. his Suggestion: -

When On highway , don;t brake suddenly if you have a small animal in front like dog / snake etc. Although it;s wrong to kill somebody but you might be risking those on the back. Human life is more precious than a dog any day .
Old 27th September 2011, 22:49   #9313
BHPian

Quote:

My poor car has been damaged on the rear and side because of this idiot. Luckily I was in the city and must have been travelling at around 30-40 km/h when this happened. And luckily the couple on the motor cycle in front did not get hit....

I then had to spend more than an hour at the local police station to get a complaint filed for insurance....just left the car off at the garage...no car for a few days now.

Broke the rear tail light, rear bumper is a goner...also the rear bottom panel and rear side panel and door panel have got hit....

This reminds me of an accident that happened to me 3 months back, just few days before my baby girl was born, luckily my wife was not in the car. I was just waiting in the signal when an Auto out of no where came and it from behind, after hitting me he hit another Alto car too.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-photo0491-copy.jpg
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-photo0492-copy.jpg

Why did you need to file a report in police station. FIR is needed for insurance only if some one sustains bodily injuries.
The bill came to 32K. But the car looks as good as new again after repair. I had to pay 10k, and insurance 22k.

Last edited by GTO : 29th September 2011 at 11:22. Reason: Removing images from the quoted post
Old 27th September 2011, 22:55   #9314
BHPian

Well, I reported the accident as this is the first time I had to claim insurance in my 14 years of driving and I went by the book as far as possible.

My brake lights and everything was working fine. In fact the braking was so sudden that I may have missed hitting the bike in front only by a few cms...

I guess the bus guy didnt have a hope in hell of slowing down.

Yup, the bike guy just went on as if nothing had happened....really sad that we have people continuing to do these things with no hope of ever catching them.
Old 28th September 2011, 01:25   #9315
Distinguished - BHPian

During one of my earliest on-road driving lessons, I braked hard for a flock of birds!

I got a big telling off from my father/instructor.

But still, however unexpected, or even stupid, the reason may be for the guy in front of you stopping, it is your fault if you hit them.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks