Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 4th October 2011, 22:49   #9391
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmessiah View Post
Hey I ve seen this same pic on your FB. Was this a recent sighting?

Yes drmessiah This should have happened about a while ago, yes it would have gone up on the FB first of the easy access.
Roshan_v_k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2011, 10:53   #9392
Senior - BHPian

funny yes , but quite possible , i have seen similar accidents at various locations in Delhi in the past , one of the more common ones being the Andrews Gunj flyover , overtaking without having a proper field of vision and then lo and behold the car is on the divider , i remember one which was a good 10-15 meters into the divider , obviously travelling at a high speed
Old 5th October 2011, 11:08   #9393
Distinguished - BHPian

Just came across this accident in NICE road, Bangalore. It was a Cruze and should have been at high speed, the driver said that he was on the right lane and all of the sudden a Honda Civic from the left lane changed lane to over take another car, hence he entered the grass part to avoid hitting the Civic. But lost control totally and ended up on the left side of the road with the car turning upside down. The car had ABS and airbag got deployed. Driver and co-passenger were unhurt and not even a single scratch on their body. They came out of the car before anyone came to rescue them. I would say this as a miraculous escape or their second life. Below are some pics, the honda civic fled away.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-accident_cruze1.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-accident_cruze2.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-accident_cruze3.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-accident_cruze4.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-accident_cruze7.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-accident_cruze8.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-photo0066optimized.jpg  

arun_josie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2011, 11:16   #9394
Distinguished - BHPian

^^
Is the ABS on our sub 20L sedans wired-up/siliconed enough to differentiate between when 2 wheels are on grass, and 2 on tarmac, to distribute braking?
dont think so.

EDIT:@KPS-Thats what i was looking for,EBD.Thanks.
so does the cruze have EBD?

Last edited by mayankk : 5th October 2011 at 11:43.
Old 5th October 2011, 11:39   #9395
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Just came across this accident in NICE road, Bangalore. It was a Cruze and should have been at high speed,
Wow, that would been a high speed crash. Luckily they seem to have landed on marshy land which would have greatly reduced the impact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
^^
Is the ABS on our sub 20L sedans wired-up/siliconed enough to differentiate between when 2 wheels are on grass, and 2 on tarmac, to distribute braking?
dont think so.
ABS is limited the control locking. EBD (Electronic Brake Distribution) takes care of the differential braking on each wheel. Hence ABS + EBD is a better than just ABS.

Cheers

KPS
KPS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2011, 12:39   #9396
BHPian

Re: Nano Accident In Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
I saw the remains of the Nano yesterday. Was very sad indeed. There were contrasting reports That part of the road has some pot holes which would definitely upset a speeding Nano.
There were contrasting reports.TV reports were mentioning day before yesterday that the accident occured when the Nano overtook a scorpio and during the process collided with the Mazda Tipper coming in the opposite direction and the Scorpio too hit it. Mr Mohanan's version is based on newspaper reports.
The inexperience of the driver could also be another reason coupled with the speed of the Tipper.
May the departed souls rest in peace.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-nanoedited.jpg

The red arrow shows the house of the colleague of Mr. Ajaikumar. They were coming to that house for inviting for the marriage of Ajai's daughter. The blue arrow shows the way in which the nano must have turned to the right side from the road. Suddenly, the truck at full load must have hit from the front. It is evident from the damages to the nano that the truch has hit TWO times on the nano. I think, during the nano turning right, the truck must have first hit on the left side and then nano must have been thrown back and further the truck has come and hit on the front again. Also, no patholes on the road in this area. Road is good, but width is just sufficient for two vehicles.
One possibility :
1. A bus was stopped at the place where the autorikshaw is seen in the picture.
2. The truck came overtaking the bus.
3. The nano was behind a bigger vehicle (may be a scorpio !) and hence did not notice the truck coming from the front overtaking the bus. Nano turned to the right in front of the bus (25 meters in front of the bus).
4. The truck driver want to overtake the bus 'before the big vehicle (may be scorpio) in front of nano' reaches the spot where the bus is parked. Therefore, the truck was at high speed.
5. In the last moment only the Nano driver has seen the truck speeding towards them. By the time, they have already turned to the right and standing almost across the road on the right lane.
6. The truck directly hit on the left side (front fender + front left door) of nano, thereby throwing the nano back.
7. In the impact of the hit, nano was thrown back by 25 meters and turned straight on the rightmost side of the road, where it is lying now. Truck again went and hit on the front of the nano and dragged it by another 10 meters before stopping.
8. Whichever way it is, it is really heart-braking to see the vehicle, especially when you see the bundle of wedding cards inside with blood on it.

Or, may be, Vishnu (23 years old) who was driving the nano must have assumed that he will be able to cross the road before the truck reaches him.

While driving, Never, Never, 'assume' anything which may result in such tragedies...

Last edited by KMohanan : 5th October 2011 at 12:43.
Old 5th October 2011, 13:01   #9397
Senior - BHPian

saw a silver Indica lying perpendicular to the road on the Chansandra main road this morning, in front of St.George college! i then noticed the front had damage. a little ahead was a BMTC parked on the side. there was damage on the front right.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-_mg_2234.jpg

excuse the picture clarify; parked on the side and shot through the right ORVM.
Old 5th October 2011, 14:13   #9398
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just came across this accident in NICE road, Bangalore. It was a Cruze and should have been at high speed
Lucky for the guys to have escaped unhurt. Appears to be a relatively new Cruz. Underbody is pretty clean.
amitwlele is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2011, 15:06   #9399
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just came across this accident in NICE road, Bangalore. It was a Cruze and should have been at high speed, the driver said that he was on the right lane and all of the sudden a Honda Civic from the left lane changed lane to over take another car, hence he entered the grass part to avoid hitting the Civic. But lost control totally and ended up on the left side of the road with the car turning upside down. The car had ABS and airbag got deployed. Driver and co-passenger were unhurt and not even a single scratch on their body. They came out of the car before anyone came to rescue them. I would say this as a miraculous escape or their second life. Below are some pics, the honda civic fled away.
Did the car go through the barrier? Isn't that there in place to avoid cars going off like this ?
Old 5th October 2011, 15:08   #9400
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (9)

The nano accident illustrates why I make sure I am seen properly at every turn before I make my move.

RIP poor souls.

--Ragul
Old 5th October 2011, 15:44   #9401
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottle View Post
Did the car go through the barrier? Isn't that there in place to avoid cars going off like this ?
Yes, barrier is there, but when the car is coming at a very high speed for sure these barriers will not withstand as it happened in this case. People who saw this accident said that this car would have been at 140-150Kmh speed.
arun_josie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2011, 15:47   #9402
Senior - BHPian

the nano accident looks horrible. seems to be a high speed crash. on my way to tirupati-mysore-ooty trip i saw crazy people driving in the most crazy manner i have ever seen in life.

in the south on the national highway there are big speed breakers. they are like hell for any sedan.

secondly big trucks , autos etc drive merrily from opposite direction on NH4.

on my way back from tirupati to mysore a nano put my linea to shame. he was crazily overtaking all vehicles without giving a second thought. he was merily cruising at 100kmph. within no time he vanished from my sight.

the bus drivers feel they have a license to kill. one such bus almost drove over me and i had to literally get down from the tar road completely to allow his stupid overtake.

i felt like turning back and smash his head with the sticks i was carrying in my boot, for his attempt to murder.
amit_mechengg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2011, 19:10   #9403
BHPian

Help avoid accidents...

The color of the car also matters. It is better to choose colors which can be easily seen by others. Eg. The sunshine yellow color of nano is such an easily visible color.
Old 5th October 2011, 20:52   #9404
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
in the south on the national highway there are big speed breakers. they are like hell for any sedan.
True man. You pay the toll to go over the speed breakers constructed by the villagers. My friend who travels to Davanagere from Bangalore every weekend says that the size of the speed breaker depends on the influence of the villagers. If the village has some political biggies, then the nearby humps will be HUGE.

But you can't only blame villagers for the silly speed breakers. NHAI has constructed a good road alright, but has not given the villagers a way to access their fields on the other side of the road. They wouldn't want to drive five km to take a U turn! Only in some places are the sides barricaded and service roads exist.

The RTO inspector of Haveri district, who I met recently, was saying that the whole NH4 stretch would be made six-lanes in the coming years (I guess that's evident from the flyovers, which have six lanes already). Until then, the NHAI wants us to manage with what they have given us. The road needs a few sacrificial offerings, and unfortunately, most of these offerings are the lives of innocents.
Old 5th October 2011, 21:32   #9405
BANNED

About the Cruze accident. How come there are skid marks on the road if ABS was activated?

Most Viewed