Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2011, 21:47   #9406
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
True man. You pay the toll to go over the speed breakers constructed by the villagers. My friend who travels to Davanagere from Bangalore every weekend says that the size of the speed breaker depends on the influence of the villagers. If the village has some political biggies, then the nearby humps will be HUGE.
yes perfect. what happened was , i was merrily cruising @100kmph in my linea and we had already crossed belgaum and next cities.
then comes a place somewhere near davanagere and a honda city is trying to play foolish and i try to showcase him the high speed handling power of my linea.

@ 140kmph there was a big curve and on the big divider some kids were swaying hands and jumping, and were showing something on the road.

it was too late before i realized that on the dark black newly laid road there is a dark black camouflaged huge speed breaker. i saw in the rear view mirror that the honda city was closing in. within microseconds i put on my hazard blinkers , cut the lane to extreme left and slammed my brakes the hardest ever in my life.

this all drama happened at @ 100-110 kmph and the honda city driver too saw the breakers and he too slammed the brakes hard and was in parallel to me.

what happened inside my linea was - my heart had stopped beating,the seat belts tightened on me and my cousin sitting on front seat, my wifey and cousins wifey tilted totally to front with the seat also almost tilted for a second.

my linea stopped as if someone threw a 10ton anchor but still jumped over the speedbreaker with a big bang and a explosion like sound.

what happened with honda city - heart of the driver came in his mouth, luckily only 2 people were in honda city, the honda city couldnt stop and banged with its nose over the breaker and a big exploding sound emerged and the honda city was flying in air for a second or 2 , it stopped with one tyre over the skirting of the divider.

the front right tyre was burried inside the wheel arc, and lots of fluids leaking from engine bay and scratches on front bumper. i think the struts broke off.

at this moment i felt very proud that my 10 lac rs spent on linea are "Paisa Wasool"

we all cursed the govt a lot. the honda city driver was damn frustrated and was giving lot of dirty bad words to the road authorities.

there was a huge crowd that gathered, and those kids were laughing merily at us. i gave a 20rs note to the kid for saving us

the rest of the journey both myself and my cousin drove with eyes wide open and searching of speed breakers everywhere. and luckily we dint jump any further.

when i reached ooty i went to TAFE access and put my linea on ramp and found that there is no evidence of any bang on the underbody anywhere.

the engine guard is made of tank sheet metal.

Last edited by amit_mechengg : 5th October 2011 at 21:49.
amit_mechengg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2011, 21:57   #9407
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
About the Cruze accident. How come there are skid marks on the road if ABS was activated?
ABS will be activated when braking in a straight line not when your going sideways. From the skid marks it looks like 2 wheels were on grass and car fishtailed really badly. The tank slapper lead to the car going from median on right to shoulder on left. ABS won't help him when the car's fishtailing.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th October 2011, 23:10   #9408
Senior - BHPian

Re: Nano Accident In Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMohanan View Post
Attachment 821509
Or, may be, Vishnu (23 years old) who was driving the nano must have assumed that he will be able to cross the road before the truck reaches him.
The TV news has shown an SUV with front damages. Note that there is no space to even park a car on the side of the road in front of the house, leave alone, cut across another vehicle in such roads where traffic is always at higher speeds.

In spite of all, the incident is a sad sad one. Mr Ajaykumar's wife also succumbed to the injuries. May her soul also rest in peace. Our heart goes out to the poor daughter. May almighty give her all the courage to tide over the irreparable loss.

The Nano is still lying there, I saw that an hour ago.

Last edited by rajeev k : 5th October 2011 at 23:13.
Old 6th October 2011, 01:00   #9409
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottle View Post
Did the car go through the barrier? Isn't that there in place to avoid cars going off like this ?
In our country, the barrier probably serves to keep the cattle off the highways though they don't necessarily manage to do that. You'll find different kinds of cattle using up all the lanes of the national highway (NH7). From the cattle's perspective, we're treading on their territory and not the other way around.

BTW, there are a lot of accidents involving dogs on the national highways. Folks are less likely to slow down for a dog than for a buffalo because of the potential for damage to their own vehicles?
Old 6th October 2011, 02:59   #9410
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
the engine guard is made of tank sheet metal.
You need to see what a real tank looks like ASAP

I know Fiat owners like to use the word "tank" in every other line but the engine guard is regular sheet metal (on a side note, tanks aren't made of sheet metal either). Quite a few owner reviews here (as well as I) have mentioned encountering issues with the guard needing to be bent back to shape.

Lets keep it real. Tanks err thanks
Crazy_Eddy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th October 2011, 08:25   #9411
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
ABS will be activated when braking in a straight line not when your going sideways. From the skid marks it looks like 2 wheels were on grass and car fishtailed really badly. The tank slapper lead to the car going from median on right to shoulder on left. ABS won't help him when the car's fishtailing.
But is it not the EBD's job to regulate the braking and keep the car straight while braking even if one side of the car is on a different surface which causes the fishtail moment?

After it fishtails, yes the ABS or EBD doesnt help much! What if the Cruze driver used the handbrakes!? Thats the best possible reason for fishtailing in these situations!
Old 6th October 2011, 08:32   #9412
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
But is it not the EBD's job to regulate the braking and keep the car straight while braking even if one side of the car is on a different surface which causes the fishtail moment?

After it fishtails, yes the ABS or EBD doesnt help much! What if the Cruze driver used the handbrakes!? Thats the best possible reason for fishtailing in these situations!
The fishtail will not be from braking. If you have 2 wheels on grass and 2 on tarmac and tried to give steering input to get the car back on tar with the lower grip on one side the rear may step out causing the tank slapper. After that the driver will be just a passenger. He may not even have the presence of mind for braking.

EBD will regulate the braking to each wheel but when the car has lost control it won't help. What would have helped in this situation is ESP. ESP not have the rear step out of way and the driver may have regained control.
Old 6th October 2011, 12:12   #9413
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The fishtail will not be from braking. If you have 2 wheels on grass and 2 on tarmac and tried to give steering input to get the car back on tar with the lower grip on one side the rear may step out causing the tank slapper. After that the driver will be just a passenger. He may not even have the presence of mind for braking.

EBD will regulate the braking to each wheel but when the car has lost control it won't help. What would have helped in this situation is ESP. ESP not have the rear step out of way and the driver may have regained control.
I agree!

But, the tire marks are all the way from the right side of the road! Did he try a power slide... NFS style?
Old 6th October 2011, 16:37   #9414
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannubhai View Post
Got this from a fb friends album. Not sure if this was posted before. Mods feel free to remove if this is a repeat.
What is a Range Rover from Dubai doing in KL? Are you allowed to drive around with the same plates? Looking at the ORVM closed + Dubai plates - its a LHD!!

Apparently the alto looks undamaged... Or am i missing something?

Last edited by Rehaan : 7th October 2011 at 17:03. Reason: Sending you a PM regarding this.
Old 6th October 2011, 16:56   #9415
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The tyre marks do not show sideways slide in anyways. If that was case you'd see four drag marks and not two. And with ABS the whole point is that you retain steering control and can change lanes or direction while braking hard.

I could not understand "tank slapper lead to car..."

Last edited by Vid6639 : 6th October 2011 at 17:04.
Old 6th October 2011, 17:07   #9416
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
The tyre marks do not show sideways slide in anyways. If that was case you'd see four drag marks and not two. And with ABS the whole point is that you retain steering control and can change lanes or direction while braking hard.

I could not understand "tank slapper lead to car..."
Sudev take a look at the tyre marks closely. They are crossing each other. you will not see 4 tyre marks if you fishtail. Tank slapper is rear swinging around.

I've seen this sort of accident happen right in front of me on a highway so I don't think I'm talking just like that.

Please enlighten us if you think you know any better as to what happened.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 6th October 2011 at 17:09.
Old 6th October 2011, 17:40   #9417
Distinguished - BHPian

My Take: The two tyre marks (inside of blue lines) represent a drag but not a fishtail. The red tyre mark is independent of the blue marks. In fishtail the rear of car would slide in one direction and the sort of tyre marks you will see are either will have much narrower width or touch each other. And if fish tail could not have occurred at bottom of picture as the direction of imaginary tyre curve (blue arrow) in line with right tyre mark rules that out.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-accident_cruze4.jpg

Now why should there be drag / skid marks if the vehicle was ABS enabled? Even ABS braking leave tyre marks but the pattern is on off or interrupted. This is virtually continuous drag so was the ABS off??
Old 6th October 2011, 17:47   #9418
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
My Take: The two tyre marks (inside of blue lines) represent a drag but not a fishtail. The red tyre mark is independent of the blue marks. In fishtail the rear of car would slide in one direction and the sort of tyre marks you will see are either will have much narrower width or touch each other. And if fish tail could not have occurred at bottom of picture as the direction of imaginary tyre curve (blue arrow) in line with right tyre mark rules that out.

Attachment 822235

Now why should there be drag / skid marks if the vehicle was ABS enabled? Even ABS braking leave tyre marks but the pattern is on off or interrupted. This is virtually continuous drag so was the ABS off??
Sudev, there's no question of ABS here. He never braked in a straight line. This is what I'm trying to say. And you are completely missing the 3rd set of marks to the right.

This car has swung around while trying to get back on road and the right side has hit the barricades. If this was normal ABS braking how did the car spin around and right side hit the armco?

This stretch of road referred to as NICE road is notorious for such accidents.
Old 6th October 2011, 18:36   #9419
BHPian

Is it possible that the ABS was switched off? I believe some (or most high end ones) have the option to switch it off.

Also, in case of a panic braking situation, a person with little or no experience and practise can make minor mistakes, Like say, stepping on the accelarator.
Old 6th October 2011, 19:20   #9420
Distinguished - BHPian

I really do not see anything in pictures to say that this car "swung around" If it had then after the accident it would have been facing back towards the direction of travel. It is facing the direction of road and has merely flipped over on hitting the guard rails on the left front. Speed and loss of control by driver.

Anyways no point in arguing what was sequence of events but lesson to be learnt is "drive safe and know your car" Incidentally this is second story of overturned Captiva in space of two weeks here.
sudev is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks