Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2011, 19:40   #9421
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquecurve View Post
Is it possible that the ABS was switched off? I believe some (or most high end ones) have the option to switch it off.
I think ABS can never be switched off and there is no reason to.
However ESP may be switched off.
Old 7th October 2011, 06:53   #9422
Distinguished - BHPian

Lots of vehicles have ABS switch. Normally in dash or side of dash.
Old 7th October 2011, 07:26   #9423
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
I am very surprised at reading this. Why would a manufacturer allow you to turn off the ABS? Under what conditions do you need to turn of the ABS? What cars have this feature? Can you take a picture of such a switch?

AFIK you can turn off the Airbag on the passenger side only in some cars. I know for sure in the i20 you needed to use your ignition key to turn off the passenger side airbag with the switch position being on the side of the dash and you need to open the left door to access it.

Cheers

KPS
Old 7th October 2011, 09:19   #9424
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
I know you can switch off ESP but ABS I don't remember seeing a car with an ABS off switch. Sudev could you name a few cars that have ABS off option?

Perhaps some SUV's have it for off-roading?

Also, in this case it is a Cruze and not a Captiva.
Old 7th October 2011, 09:56   #9425
Senior - BHPian

Just spotted this today morning in front of my wife's office building.
This scorpio was on the Recovery Van. Looks like Dussehra celebration gone wrong.

Vehicle probably met it's fate in the night before. Couldn't notice anything else except for this pic.

Taken through rear windshield
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-imag0321.jpg

Cropped.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-copy-imag0321.jpg
Old 7th October 2011, 13:31   #9426
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Eddy View Post
You need to see what a real tank looks like ASAP

I know Fiat owners like to use the word "tank" in every other line but the engine guard is regular sheet metal (on a side note, tanks aren't made of sheet metal either). Quite a few owner reviews here (as well as I) have mentioned encountering issues with the guard needing to be bent back to shape.

Lets keep it real. Tanks err thanks
this is a classic case of not understanding english grammar. whenever a heavy build is compared with a tank like build its a similie.

how do you define a regular sheet metal?

FYI all sheet metals can be called regular and they are made of different guages. the sheet metal on the engine guard of linea is not flimsy unlike other cars. its very thick and takes a hell lot of blows without bending.

the users who are mentioning they need to bend back the guard should also consider why it bent. it bends only under extereme blows.

and even if it bends it has done its job to protect the sump.
amit_mechengg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2011, 16:52   #9427
BANNED

This happened yesterday at Sanjay Hundai , Kharadi , pune.

It is a brand new car. There were 5 people in car when it fell on ground from first floor platform.

Non Fatal. Only broken bones.

Reason: Novice Driver. (Buyer).

Pictures might not depict accident severity, but being there was a terrible experience.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_3969a.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_3972.jpg  

Last edited by idea : 7th October 2011 at 16:54.
Old 7th October 2011, 17:08   #9428
Distinguished - BHPian

Is that a showroom or washing bay for multibrands...I asked this because I find a UVA and a ZEN.
The UVA is too close to the car...hope it was not damanged.
It must be such a bad feeling to get a car repaired even before running it.
Old 7th October 2011, 17:40   #9429
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by idea View Post
This happened yesterday at Sanjay Hundai , Kharadi , pune.

It is a brand new car. There were 5 people in car when it fell on ground from first floor platform.

Non Fatal. Only broken bones.

Reason: Novice Driver. (Buyer).

Pictures might not depict accident severity, but being there was a terrible experience.
Feel sad for the owner. Hope it was not a "For REGN." vehicle awaiting insurance formalities. It may take him years to overcome the devastated feeling psychologically - in order to enjoy driving again.

-Ragul
Old 7th October 2011, 18:33   #9430
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
It may take him years to overcome the devastated feeling psychologically - in order to enjoy driving again.
It might be better if he doesn't! Sorry for lack of sympathy, but it looks as if, for once, fate has helped to keep an incompetent driver off the road!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2011, 20:33   #9431
Distinguished - BHPian

Please see this one from Mumbai wherein a drunken air hostess in her Swift, bangs the car and lands into trouble.
Drunken airhostess held for abusing cops

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 7th October 2011 at 20:55.
Old 7th October 2011, 20:51   #9432
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Is that a showroom or washing bay for multibrands...I asked this because I find a UVA and a ZEN.
The UVA is too close to the car...hope it was not damanged.
It must be such a bad feeling to get a car repaired even before running it.
This is what happens when you have a in competent driver on road, but still wonder how did it fall I don't see any plat form, railings ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
Feel sad for the owner. Hope it was not a "For REGN." vehicle awaiting insurance formalities. It may take him years to overcome the devastated feeling psychologically - in order to enjoy driving again.

-Ragul
If that is the case then the owner has to feel sad & bad for not only damaging a brand new car but to the desires of repairing it. He unfortunately has to carry on this horrifying experience apart from the other 4 people for a long time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
It might be better if he doesn't! Sorry for lack of sympathy, but it looks as if, for once, fate has helped to keep an incompetent driver off the road!
absolutely! well said. Even I don't feel sorry for this driver but feel really annoyed about the fact that there are hundreds of them who are still on road creating death traps to others. I sometime feel how do these people manage their lives when they can drive a small car properly, how can they be humans with family values, centiments, being parents, loving their kids by killing other innocents due to their in competency using the road and driving the automobile.

There was a recent experience I had gone through there was brand new Alto with a jerk trying to come out of a underground parking at a cinema theater and I was in my Bolero behind him I usually keep large distance which helped me, this guy took ages to take the car on the slope and engine died on him, when I asked if I can help then he says he is new and can't take the car in this situation there were lot of people around unknowing of the fact that this Alto can ruin their life if he continues to drive forward or reverse. I took it out and god only knows what he is continuing to do with others life at risk.
chanu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2011, 21:22   #9433
Senior - BHPian

Come on, all of us have been newbie drivers at some point of time and most of us would've made some embarassing newbie mistakes - either in the driving school's car or our own car in our early driving days. Hopefully, none as bad as this one, but let's not act as if we were born with driving skills ingrained in our brains.

Probably, it was a bit too early for this driver to get a new car - but hey, he learned the hard way.

I would even venture a guess that less accidents are caused by "newbie incompetent drivers" than "experienced drivers" who drive as if they own the road.
Old 7th October 2011, 23:27   #9434
Senior - BHPian

Is this a banged up Endeavor? It looks like it went under something, though I find it hard to imagine, how can an Endeavor go 'under' something? This was taken from my office cafeteria, this one was got here on a flat bed. I thought they didn't make flatbed trucks big enough to get Endeavors, but this one came to the repair shop on a 'big' flatbed!

Also, Saakshi TV seems to be a south indian tv channel, so it beats me how a car belonging to a south indian tv channel ended up in Pune?

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-photo0379.jpg
Old 7th October 2011, 23:44   #9435
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post

Also, Saakshi TV seems to be a south indian tv channel
Attachment 823076
Yes, it is Hyderabad based. It belongs to the Jagan, son of Late Y.S. Rajashekhar Reddy, Ex.C.M. of Andhra Pradesh.

Most Viewed