Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2011, 16:11   #9571
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
that very stone hit my alloys which lost the paint and left a dent on my door, now whom can I blame? Not even myself
That is one of the very, very few events on this thread that can truly be called an accident.
Old 21st October 2011, 16:20   #9572
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
Man that was hilarious!!! These are my exact thoughts on this vehicle, I wonder how can it do such speeds, one such about to topple EECO overtook me in a jiffy when I was at 120!!! I really did not know hot to react!!
I have a pic uploaded in the Top Speeds thread where I remember doing 145 kph on the speedo in the old 1.3 Versa.I also used to feel it would turn like an elephant .With a properly balanced load ,it is stable to drive .Yeah you have to keep in mind the high COG when turning ,but it wasnt that bad .I would be more scared in a wagon r
Old 21st October 2011, 20:02   #9573
BHPian

Found this on facebook.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-298503_270188026352614_100000842574187_769149_1908334353_n.jpg  

Last edited by rangakishen : 21st October 2011 at 20:06.
Old 21st October 2011, 20:12   #9574
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangakishen
Found this on facebook.
All of tbhp pics are making their way to fb, then coming back here,on the signs,and jokes, and mods threads.

By the way, condorred!!
Old 21st October 2011, 20:17   #9575
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangakishen View Post
Found this on facebook.
This was posted less than a few weeks back. Please follow this thread more regularly to avoid serving stale food.

--Ragul
Old 21st October 2011, 20:25   #9576
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
All of tbhp pics are making their way to fb, then coming back here,on the signs,and jokes, and mods threads.

By the way, condorred!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
This was posted less than a few weeks back. Please follow this thread more regularly to avoid serving stale food.

--Ragul
Oops sorry!! Didn't know it had already been posted!
Old 21st October 2011, 20:48   #9577
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurudutt View Post
Saw this on FB, not sure how it happened. It always amazes me how some people think that a cylindrical chrome bar (bull bar) decorating their car front can save them from impact. After all its attached to the car and not to a stone wall
This was on the road show at Kochi last week organized by the RTO to spread awareness on accidents and to promote safe driving habits.
Your view on the bull bar is not fully correct. True for minor accidents but if of a higher impact it would crumble the crumbling zones and can be really dangerous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Bean View Post
I guess the EECO has the old wagon-r engine under the hood, the vehicle gives a superior road view, so is the case with sumos, taveros, boleros which are driven in a rash manner.
The EECO has an under bored Esteem engine to make it below 1200cc to derive ED benefits. The body also has gone on the anvil to make it a sub 4M one.
Old 21st October 2011, 22:27   #9578
Distinguished - BHPian

Ahhh... Bull Bars again.

Please, people, never, never, say yes to a vehicle with bull bars and never fit them yourselves.

They offer little protection to anything but ego, and are a huge danger to pedestrians.

Old 22nd October 2011, 10:51   #9579
Senior - BHPian

1) Bull Bars : The only help they do is protect the car against the nudges that are likely to occur in city driving condition that too at around parking speeds.
Nothing more. For high speed crashes they are rather the other way round, i.e. very dangerous. The bull bars don't allow the crumple zones to act properly and damage the zones more/improperly. We can say that bull bars hamper the functioning of crumple zones.
Bull bars are relatively more suited to body-on-frame cars, but again its relative to the monocoque construction.

2) Eeco is rather more stable than a Wagon R when Eeco is fully loaded. on multiple occasions I have faced Eeco on corners and they exhibit less lean than Wagon R. Out of curiosity I drove one Eeco only to confirm that actually is more stable. Other road users might feel uncomfortable, but its certainly not as bad as the height suggest.

3) What leads people towards bull bars? My view it that the modern cars have very high set dashboards and high windows. This does not give them proper judgment, like lets say one could get in M800 or even Esteem for that matter.
This leads people to have bull bars installed which gives them more judgment as to where the car ends.
The particular issue is where the front left corner ends. That is why even the new Wagon R will have bull bar with a small metal antenna sort of vertical rod indicating the driver where the left corner of the car is. I'm always shocked to see this but not all have judgment to drive the cars. Also a high set car like Eeco, Wagon R, even Ritz, etc. give others a feeling of sitting in SUV which further drives the urge for bull bar.

I still feel that slightly low slung cars like Micra have their engineering done correct where judgment is not that difficult to have. Cruze is another car which has this point.
aaggoswami is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2011, 13:02   #9580
Senior - BHPian

Well said.

I find lack of awareness is the main reason behind people opting for these. People outside the forum dont even understand the utility of these accessories and the dangers they pose. Even the educated one's outside the forum dont understand crumple zones and their importance.

What I cannot excuse though is a manufacturer like M&M offering these as standard accessories to their scorpio's and bolero's. Absolutely ridiculous and irresponsible.

IMO CMVR needs to be modified appropriately to discourage this practice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Ahhh... Bull Bars again.

Please, people, never, never, say yes to a vehicle with bull bars and never fit them yourselves.

They offer little protection to anything but ego, and are a huge danger to pedestrians.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
3) What leads people towards bull bars? My view it that the modern cars have very high set dashboards and high windows. This does not give them proper judgment, like lets say one could get in M800 or even Esteem for that matter.
bala80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2011, 17:58   #9581
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac187 View Post

A rash (red) Swift driver sped straight into the 4 - junction. Hitting a Scooty first, then a pregnent lady and then a auto. Halts after hitting a tree.
How were the driver/passengers of the scooty, auto and the pregnant lady ? Hope they were fine, must have been traumatic.
Old 22nd October 2011, 21:45   #9582
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akj123 View Post
How were the driver/passengers of the scooty, auto and the pregnant lady ? Hope they were fine, must have been traumatic.
Heard from sources that the pregnant lady died in the accident !
Old 24th October 2011, 00:58   #9583
Senior - BHPian

Got these snaps from a friend working at VW.

Here is what happenned: A potential customer was test driving the new Jetta A/T and driving it in the tiptronic mode. He was going fine until suddenly he felt like pressing the clutch to shift up. So with his left leg he slammed on to the brake by mistake. The time was 7:00pm peak traffic hours at Churchgate. The Jetta was flowing with the traffic at 40-45 kmph before coming to a complete halt within half a second.

The poor Honda City driver did not even get a chance to step onto the brake and smashed into the rear bumper with my friend feeling a mild jerk inside the Jetta. A second later another jerk. They were into a 3 car collision. All the three cars stopped at the side. My friend got out and to his surprise the Jetta was unharmed while the city was smashed from the front. Just as he took a sigh of relief that the damage was not as big as it could have been to the city he went and noticed a Porsche Panamera Turbo, which was the third car whose bumper had a quite nasty crack and its number plate was split into two.

The good thing was that its airbags did not deploy keeping the cost of repairs yet lower than what it could have been. Ofcourse the Panamera guy was furious but the matter soon settled. I have managed to get the City pictures. The Jetta had no damage so no point posting its pics and could not manage to get the panamera pics. The potential customer was quite impressed with the build quality of the VW though.

The funniest part was when the scene occurred on the road my friend opened the rear door and told the customer's mother who was sitting inside, "ma'am I know this aint the right time but please see the build quality of our car."

If you look closely the rear of the city has the Panamera face engraved in it.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc00931.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc00932.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc00935.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc00936.jpg  

Old 24th October 2011, 02:03   #9584
Senior - BHPian

Clutch in an A/T vehicle ??

The damage to the old Honda City Type II is typical what with the bonnet taking almost the entire brunt of the impact by folding up. In all probability the two major parts that will require replacement besides locks for the head lights are the hood and the front condenser fan. The bumper looks as if it has split open but actually it has not. The bumpers on the OHC type I & II were made up of three different pieces, two corners and one centre piece for both front and rear. It is exactly at the joints of these pieces that the locks have given away and can easily be replaced to give the bumper its original shape. On the rear the central piece will need replacement as it has been pushed inside all the way up to the rear cross member. The bootlid will need tinkering and the boot lid lock will act up for the remaining days on this car. This particular component (rear lid lock) on the OHCs was / is a whimsical beast and once it has been in a shunt will act up unexpectedly even after repairs/replacement. Another things that will need to be replaced are the locks that hold all of the lights in place. A safety feature on this model of the City was the design of the locks and the mountings of the lights wherein in case of an accident the lights would always fall inwards. This was to try and save the lights themselves as well as any pedestrians/other vehicle's tires from the shards of glass and plastic were the lights to fall on the tarmac and break up in small bits.

I have been in a similar incident when driving uphill on a flyover I rammed my TypeI old Honda city in to the back of a Zen whose driver mistook a helmet dropped on the road to be a bomb and stood on his car's brakes. It was dusk on a winter evening in Dilli and we were driving uphill. By the time I realized that the Zen was growing rapidly in size, there was hardly any time left to react and by the time I hit the brakes my City had force smooched the Zen. The resultant outcome was almost identical. I was however able to drive away from the scene to a bill of nearly 90K with the hood replacement and it's painting accounting for nearly 60% of the amount. This was in 2000~2001 IIRC. BTW the Zen with its original black colour Iron hide bumper did not have even a scratch and drove away from the scene.

Last edited by khoj : 24th October 2011 at 02:05.
Old 24th October 2011, 03:26   #9585
Distinguished - BHPian

I hit the "clutch" in an AT once. It was on my first longish trip after passing my UK test about a week before, and a borrowed car. Luckily the guy behind was far enough behind ---as we should always be.

No accident, but my ego was damaged!

Most Viewed