Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2011, 09:18   #9691
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds
SRM A/c sleeper from Bangalore to Coimbatore met with an accident near Bhavani today morning with a diesel tanker. 7 passengers are died. Anyone has more info on this?
Just saw this on sun news. Seems the bus hit the rear of an oil tanker while trying to overtake it.. looked completely burnt to the shell..Driver, his assistant and 5 passengers are dead as per the news.
Old 6th November 2011, 16:21   #9692
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Saw this accident an hour ago on Ernakulam Kottayam road. There was an almost 90 degree curve where , perhaps, the speed did it in.
No injuries, luckily.
There were many accidents involving container trucks of late in Kerala.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-06112011774.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-06112011775.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-06112011776.jpg  

Old 7th November 2011, 17:10   #9693
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
SRM A/c sleeper from Bangalore to Coimbatore met with an accident near Bhavani today morning with a diesel tanker. 7 passengers are died. Anyone has more info on this?
This is rainy season in Tamilnadu. Almost every day there is an accident in Tamilnadu. One or the other day is the accident with bus. It is really scary to travel in the bus in Tamilnadu. To day's exactly Chittode is the place of accident of that Omni bus.It is so sad that 8 passengers died. 21 people are injured mostly of fire injury. Out of the 21 three are critical. The bus driver hit the truck carrying aviation fuel and due to the hit around 5000 ltrs of fuel drained out of the dent. That caused the fire accident and with in no time it engulfed the front portion of the bus.Seems most of the Omni bus drivers are road racers and suddenly breaks and hit other vehicles.
Old 7th November 2011, 17:23   #9694
J.Ravi

I saw this toppled truck on my way from Nagpur to Amritsar on 11 September 2011:
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc04449.jpg

Old 7th November 2011, 17:43   #9695
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbkumar View Post
Just saw this on sun news. Seems the bus hit the rear of an oil tanker while trying to overtake it.. looked completely burnt to the shell..Driver, his assistant and 5 passengers are dead as per the news.
Quote:
Originally Posted by navan49 View Post
This is rainy season in Tamilnadu. Almost every day there is an accident in Tamilnadu. One or the other day is the accident with bus. It is really scary to travel in the bus in Tamilnadu. To day's exactly Chittode is the place of accident of that Omni bus.It is so sad that 8 passengers died. 21 people are injured mostly of fire injury. Out of the 21 three are critical. The bus driver hit the truck carrying aviation fuel and due to the hit around 5000 ltrs of fuel drained out of the dent. That caused the fire accident and with in no time it engulfed the front portion of the bus.Seems most of the Omni bus drivers are road racers and suddenly breaks and hit other vehicles.
Here's the picture of the Bus that met with an accident yesterday near Chittode.

News Source - http://expressbuzz.com/states/tamil-...on/330450.html
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-07thfire_829349f.jpg  

Old 7th November 2011, 18:20   #9696
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
Here's the picture of the Bus that met with an accident yesterday near Chittode.

News Source - TN: 7 killed, 17 injured in bus-truck collision | bus mishap | accident | The New Indian Express
People take buses or trains - since that is a safer option than traveling in a car....but such instances just prove how fatal those can be and primarily due to speeding drivers & lack of sleep.

Guess - other passengers were lucky since the lorry driver did not stop after the accident but stopped only after few kilometers before surrendering himself to police. Had he stopped - it would have been a major disaster since it was carrying aviation fuel. Not sure he had sense of mind or afraid of being thrashed by locals.
Old 8th November 2011, 13:18   #9697
BHPian

Saw this is today's local HT.
There weren't much details about the accident.
Attached Images

Old 8th November 2011, 21:13   #9698
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maheshramaling View Post
People take buses or trains - since that is a safer option than traveling in a car.
I'm sorry but I beg to differ on this. I find that travelling in a car is a much safer and viable option than a bus or train. Let me explain:

Travelling in a bus means putting your life in some other driver's hands, who maybe sober one day, drunk the other; cautious one day, overconfident the other; relaxed one day, hassled by home worries and quarrels the other.

I would rather make my own mistakes than suffer at the hands of another man's. Accidents do happen even in cars but so do they happen even in buses as evident from this thread and many more unreported incidents.

As for trains, I would rather bask in freedom that a car journey showers; example- stop on the way, breathe in, click some snaps, et cetera in my car than having to depend on fixed train schedules, fleecing agents, the dreaded waiting list, sometimes separated seating, thefts, encroachment of seats, annoying hawkers, mediocre food quality, bugs entering the house through our baggage, though rare but the fear of definite injury due to landslides, derailment (if you get caught in a train accident, there's no way you will get by without some grievous injuries), delay et cetera.

No offence, it's just my point of view, but I'll take the car.

PS: Have been travelling by bus and train to Goa since birth, but once I started driving there a few years ago, my happiness and confidence knew no bounds. Cheers!
Dr.Sav is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th November 2011, 23:44   #9699
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Sav View Post
I'm sorry but I beg to differ on this. I find that travelling in a car is a much safer and viable option than a bus or train. Let me explain:

Travelling in a bus means putting your life in some other driver's hands, who maybe sober one day, drunk the other; cautious one day, overconfident the other; relaxed one day, hassled by home worries and quarrels the other.

I would rather make my own mistakes than suffer at the hands of another man's. Accidents do happen even in cars but so do they happen even in buses as evident from this thread and many more unreported incidents.

As for trains, I would rather bask in freedom that a car journey showers; example- stop on the way, breathe in, click some snaps, et cetera in my car than having to depend on fixed train schedules, fleecing agents, the dreaded waiting list, sometimes separated seating, thefts, encroachment of seats, annoying hawkers, mediocre food quality, bugs entering the house through our baggage, though rare but the fear of definite injury due to landslides, derailment (if you get caught in a train accident, there's no way you will get by without some grievous injuries), delay et cetera.

No offence, it's just my point of view, but I'll take the car.

PS: Have been travelling by bus and train to Goa since birth, but once I started driving there a few years ago, my happiness and confidence knew no bounds. Cheers!
+ 1 to that. Over and above all points above, time matters too. Own vehicle reaches faster than public transport.

I always drive as far as possible. Take chennai-Bangalore as an example. for a distance of 350 kms, with 2 bio breaks and one Breakfast break and following all traffic rules including speed limits can be done in 5.5 hours at the max, in my Santro. Volvo Bus, a vehicle comparable to cars w.r.t speed does the same in nearly 7 hours, with 2 breaks, which is ridiculus.

Same is the case with KSRTC Rajahamsa Bus from Chennai to Madikeri. it takes 16.5 hrs by KSRTC (2:30 pm depart from chennai and arrive by 7:00 am). I could cover the same distance in 10 hrs in my car(4:45 am - 2:45 pm).
Old 9th November 2011, 06:52   #9700
Senior - BHPian

Any more news about this accident, perhaps from someone around that area?

21-yr-old woman crashes into 3 autos, 7 pedestrians
Old 9th November 2011, 12:05   #9701
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Then isn't being on the road where there are thousand's of other drivers, who could be in any of the condition you mentioned, also risky? I think if you consider physics the bus will win most battles (i.e. chances of surviving in a bus are far more).

Trains are even safer. The chance of a train de-railing are probably as much as your (well maintained) car tyre bursting at high speed (made up probability - no facts, just a feeling).

Statistically, air travel is the safest mode of travel even though many people have fear of flying but I haven't heard a case of fear of travelling by road.

That said, I travel by car mostly because I love to drive (other being the flexibility a personal vehicle offers) even though I might probably be safer in a bus or train or airplane or just at home. And it remains the preferred mode of transport over medium distances.
Old 9th November 2011, 12:20   #9702
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
+ 1 to that. Over and above all points above, time matters too. Own vehicle reaches faster than public transport.
Quote:
In fact - my opinion is the same that taking car is safer than these.....but the general perception is that (including my family) that going in a train or bus is safer!!!! I just wanted to state that how the general perception is wrong quoting this as an example.

Last edited by GTO : 10th November 2011 at 15:12. Reason: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post; a long quote inconveniences our mobile users
Old 9th November 2011, 13:04   #9703
Senior - BHPian

On 7th, saw a Innova that had just toppled over to the oncoming lanes of NH4 between Chitradurgra and Davanagere. Three people were taken out and shifted to hospital in a Qualis. Innova had a lot of damage on the roof but everything else was not that bad, but then I dont know if everyone was wearing seatbelts.
People driving Innovas, Scorpios at 140+ dont realize how they can easily rollover.
Old 9th November 2011, 14:39   #9704
BHPian

Where?-Kanakapura main Road,15-20 meters from the Yellamma Dasappa Institute of Technology(YDIT) main gate.
When?-I do not have information about the time of the mishap but I saw the 407 at 8.22 A.M today.
How?-Unfortunately,no idea.
Injuries?-I do not think that anyone was injured since the cab was intact and there were no traces of blood.However,I could be wrong.
The road track is a long left hander with a half foot high divider separating the lanes starting from the base of the curve and terminating at the end of the curve and this curve is preceded and succeeded by a very long stretch of arrow straight road and wannabe professional track racers take this curve at mind-numbing speeds each and every single day
I assume that the 407 turned over after doing the same mistake.
The last two photographs were taken at 1.46 P.M,today.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-image0272.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-photo0098.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-photo0100.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-photo0103.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-photo0106.jpg  

Old 9th November 2011, 23:17   #9705
BHPian

Saw this Passat at the VW workshop. Victim of a pile-up. Minor damage on front end but the rear is smashed! Looks like it managed to stop in time but probably a ST bus rammed into it from behind (Could see red and yellow paint from another vehicle on the rear) which led to the passat hitting the vehicle in front. Was not allowed to take more pics.
*Note the intact passenger cabin.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-071120113020.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-071120113019.jpg  

Most Viewed