Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 24th November 2011, 09:17   #9781
Team-BHP Support

Re: Help Bangalore Police catch the callous driver

The car hit the front wheel and might have got away lightly. They should zoom in on picture and get the reg no!
Old 24th November 2011, 09:34   #9782
Senior - BHPian

Seems like the rider was alert and moved his body away, else he could have been flying with his bike and hit the tanker on the other side. Absolutely shitty driving by the M-800 guy.

@ajmat, the impact looks more severe than that, look how far the bike was flung.
Old 24th November 2011, 09:40   #9783
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Seems like the rider was alert and moved his body away, else he could have been flying with his bike and hit the tanker on the other side.
I think most of us would have seen this on FB.

But somehow, i feel, the biker pushed the bike to the front while trying to jump off the bike.
Old 24th November 2011, 10:50   #9784
BHPian

I watched this on FB yesterday. Absolute callousness from the M800 driver. I hope he is nabbed before he causes more such incidents. The roads are becoming more and more lawless in our country and most people don't even seem to care. Already more people die on our roads than anywhere else in the world. It is high time the government and RTOs wake up and do more to educate the people on safe driving.
Old 24th November 2011, 11:22   #9785
BHPian

Quote:
Seems like the rider was alert and moved his body away, else he could have been flying with his bike and hit the tanker on the other side.
Just a fraction of a second before the hit, the guy stamps down his feet on the ground, and lifts his body from the seat of the bike. That saved him.
He seems to be tall guy with long limbs. That certainly helped.

Last edited by Daewood : 24th November 2011 at 11:29.
Old 24th November 2011, 16:35   #9786
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Found outside Powai Virar, Mumbai. dont know how it happened -
CNG van - due to a short circuit apparently.

I think this video is about the same van,

Old 24th November 2011, 17:11   #9787
Senior - BHPian

One more innocent life gone for neglect and disrespect to the rules.

Mumbai School boy gets hit by hoarding, dies - India News - IBNLive

I hope govt takes lives of children, at the least, seriously and implement rules like grills and belts for school buses and car seats for cars compulsory.

It is so ironical that people decide on these matters while anything that involves money is govt's area of interest.

Last edited by anilisanil : 24th November 2011 at 17:12.
Old 24th November 2011, 17:52   #9788
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Seems like the rider was alert and moved his body away, else he could have been flying with his bike and hit the tanker on the other side. Absolutely shitty driving by the M-800 guy.

@ajmat, the impact looks more severe than that, look how far the bike was flung.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
The car hit the front wheel and might have got away lightly. They should zoom in on picture and get the reg no!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daewood View Post
Just a fraction of a second before the hit, the guy stamps down his feet on the ground, and lifts his body from the seat of the bike. That saved him.
He seems to be tall guy with long limbs. That certainly helped.
the M800 i think was changing lanes from the extreme left and at the same trying to overtake the Eicher in front of it and hence got blinded when he saw the bike in his path. if he were behind the Eicher, he would have noticed the biker.

@esteem_lover: you're right; the M800 hit the mid-section of the bike.

have pieced together snapshots from the video:
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-m800_bike.png
IronH4WK is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th November 2011, 18:02   #9789
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
the M800 i think was changing lanes from the extreme left and at the same trying to overtake the Eicher in front of it and hence got blinded when he saw the bike in his path. if he were behind the Eicher, he would have noticed the biker.

@esteem_lover: you're right; the M800 hit the mid-section of the bike.

have pieced together snapshots from the video:
Attachment 846977

Wonderful work IronH4WK. I hope the cops could do better than this and trace the car, the nincompoop should be brought to justice. We all understand that accidents do happen, that is why it is called an accident, whoever fault it is, running from the scene and not accepting your responsibility and not caring for another life is ABSURD.
Old 24th November 2011, 18:20   #9790
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
One more innocent life gone for neglect and disrespect to the rules.

Mumbai School boy gets hit by hoarding, dies - India News - IBNLive

I hope govt takes lives of children, at the least, seriously and implement rules like grills and belts for school buses and car seats for cars compulsory.

It is so ironical that people decide on these matters while anything that involves money is govt's area of interest.
The Local newspapers have reported that the conductor / attender of the bus is also responsible for the accident. I really sympathize with the conductor. How can one conductor control a bus full of children. Even agreeing the conductor is at fault, the parents are also equally at fault. Parents must instruct their kids how to behave and teach them the dangers of sticking the head out.

This is synonymous to the incidents where i have seen two kids seated and fighting on the front seat of vehicle with airbags. The parent may have the money to buy a vehicle with aribag but does not have the sense to educate thier kids about the dangers of airbag / enforce that they sit in the backseat. God Forbid, if there is an accident, people would blame the vehicle that hit / government / manufacturer but no one will blame the kid / parent for sitting in the front seat of an airbag aided car without seat belts.
Old 24th November 2011, 20:06   #9791
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
The Local newspapers have reported that the conductor / attender of the bus is also responsible for the accident. I really sympathize with the conductor. How can one conductor control a bus full of children. Even agreeing the conductor is at fault, the parents are also equally at fault. Parents must instruct their kids how to behave and teach them the dangers of sticking the head out.

This is synonymous to the incidents where i have seen two kids seated and fighting on the front seat of vehicle with airbags. The parent may have the money to buy a vehicle with aribag but does not have the sense to educate thier kids about the dangers of airbag / enforce that they sit in the backseat. God Forbid, if there is an accident, people would blame the vehicle that hit / government / manufacturer but no one will blame the kid / parent for sitting in the front seat of an airbag aided car without seat belts.
Airbags, in most cases, do not deploy if the seat-belt hasn't been fastened. For this very reason.

And I've noticed one thing in India, (not with relation to the above video) it is always the victim of the accident who is considered innocent. Even if it's actually the victim's fault.
Old 24th November 2011, 20:41   #9792

This truck lost its control while negotiating a bend on Kodaikanal hill road. It has become normal to spot such mishaps these days.
Attached Images

Old 25th November 2011, 10:52   #9793
BHPian

wrt to the school bus accident, good to note that Bangalore ploice have started a crack down on Autos ferrying kids to school. Any auto with more than 6 kids is stopped, fined.

Seeing autos carrying as many as 15 kids gives me a chill in the bone. And they drive so rash. Wonder if the parents even bother to check on the safety of their kids !!!

Its a disaster waiting to happen .
Old 25th November 2011, 13:23   #9794
Senior - BHPian

In the stills by IRONH4WK, it looks like the biker almost has his front wheel in the fast lane. In this case, we can see that it is M800's fault. But I have seen many such cases where the autorickshaws and bikes poke their noses into the fast lane while waiting to take right or U turns. It is so irritating when you are driving in the rightmost lane. You don't know whether to stop and give them way (in which case, you should have enough time to stop) or just continue with the hope that they don't move any further.

And yes, the long legs have helped the biker. This is why I always felt that one should buy a bike that allows the rider to stand on both feet when the bike is between his legs. Even if the bike slips and falls while standing still, the biker will get no harm.
Old 25th November 2011, 13:40   #9795
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
I disagree here. The conductor's responsibility (in a school bus) is to ensure that all the children are seated and buckled up. At least this is followed in the school buses I have seen of late. Lackadaisical or chalta hai attitude can always result in something like this.
On another note, it may be useful to ensure that all school buses have window grills that ensure no heads/ limbs can be stuck out the window.

While parental education is essential, we also need to remember that at this age the child's action is more impulsive. In this case, waving out to a friend.
Perhaps the necessity of hoardings needs to be investigated again. Why have hoardings so close to moving vehicles?

Most Viewed