Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2011, 11:26   #9811
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

PhD and post graduate students of GKVK College were on a study trip to Kodagu when their bus hit an electric pole at around 8am on saturday.

Bus crash in Bangalore, 10 students injured - DNA

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-bus.jpg
Old 28th November 2011, 13:51   #9812
Distinguished - BHPian

I am sory for the injured, and angry with the driver --- for must, surely, have been 100% driver fault --- but this is one of those you couldn't do this with a bus if you tried situations. Amazing picture.
Old 28th November 2011, 14:25   #9813
Senior - BHPian

About the GKVK College bus accident, I read in a daily newspaper that some students mentioned about the driver talking on his cell phone while driving. It was also written in which hand was the phone and in which hand was the thin line (read steering) that held the occupants' lives. The article also went on to mention that this fact was not recorded in the FIR.
Old 28th November 2011, 15:24   #9814
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I am sory for the injured, and angry with the driver --- for must, surely, have been 100% driver fault --- but this is one of those you couldn't do this with a bus if you tried situations. Amazing picture.
This must be the incident where driver was talking on phone will driving, it was there in the newspaper. Thankfully no one got killed, and hopefully everyone will be fine soon.

Our cab driver also used to be holding the phone throughout - once i saw him changing gears with his right hand . We finally managed to convince him and i think he has a headset now. So i can imagine how difficult it must have been to convince this guy to not use the phone while driving.
Old 28th November 2011, 16:48   #9815
Senior - BHPian

Fifteen people were burnt to death, in Buldhana district of Maharashtra, following an accident that involved two buses.
Sources say 57 others have been injured out of whom 35 are said to be critical. The injured have been rushed to the nearest hospital. Sources added that the toll is expected to rise. The two buses met with an accident on the Nagpur-Aurangabad highway. One of the buses was on its way from Pune to Nagpur. Reports say that both the buses were speeding which lead to the accident

And the BBC reports: Thousands of people die in India every year in road accidents. Most are blamed on bad driving or poor roads and vehicles.

BBC News - Maharashtra bus crash: Fifteen burned to death
Old 28th November 2011, 17:31   #9816
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akj123 View Post
This must be the incident where driver was talking on phone will driving, it was there in the newspaper. Thankfully no one got killed, and hopefully everyone will be fine soon.

Our cab driver also used to be holding the phone throughout - once i saw him changing gears with his right hand . We finally managed to convince him and i think he has a headset now. So i can imagine how difficult it must have been to convince this guy to not use the phone while driving.
Once on my way back from airport, had this cabbie who was on the call. I asked him to disconnect the call and keep driving. He ignored. I insisted that he stop the car, finish his call and move, else Im getting down and going to complain to his cab company. I could hear him murmuring and probably abusing me in that murmur. But then, it was better than being killed for a crazy cab drivers antics.

One it is dangerous, two I dont pay to hear him talking to his whosoever !!!
Old 28th November 2011, 18:37   #9817
BHPian

Sometimes it is even dangerous to walk than be inside a vehicle!

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-acc.jpg

Kundapur: Truck Mows Down Two Women on NH 66

News and pics courtesy: daijiworld
Old 28th November 2011, 21:26   #9818
Senior - BHPian

This accident occurred before dawn today. I passed through that road almost 45 mts before this ill fated Indica Vista in the same direction. The co-driver's head has hit the windshield and the bulge in the windshield is clearly visible.
I saw lot of vehicles on pilgrimage to Sabarimala at that time coming in the opposite direction all blazing their headlights to hell. There was exceptionally high traffic at that time. Even I had to drive very cautiously because of the all conquering power of the hi-beams. And moreover they never care vehicles like mine who are on stock 45-55W bulbs. I strongly feel that, that is the causative factor for this accident. The Vista also can't be an exemption for hi-beam driving. The Vista's hi-beams also literally blinds and against the convoy he would have been no match and the crash.
A KL 39 Beat was in front of me groping in the light with him also on the Hibeam and getting overdose of his own medicine back but never dipping.
Some idiots never learn and some learn the hard way.

No safety, Know injury. Know Safety, No injury.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-28112011811.jpg  

Last edited by rajeev k : 28th November 2011 at 21:32.
Old 28th November 2011, 22:53   #9819
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
The co-driver's head has hit the windshield and the bulge in the windshield is clearly visible.Some idiots never learn and some learn the hard way.

No safety, Know injury. Know Safety, No injury.
Another Excellent example of the results not using seat belts in a 5 lac+ Car. With so many people getting injured w.r.t not wearng seatbelts, companies can use this data itself to test seat belts instead of wasting money on crash dummies.

With the damage to the indica that appears from the photo, the inmates could have got away with just a sprain if seat belts were used.

Last edited by scopriobharath : 28th November 2011 at 23:04.
Old 28th November 2011, 23:29   #9820
Senior - BHPian

Just saw a truck that seemed to have gone the wrong way and (possibly) hit a LML scooter before dumping its contents (construction scaffolding rods) had unloaded on the Subhash chowk roundabout. Thankfully no one visibly seemed to have been injured.

Called the police who assured that a crane and ambulance/PCR was being dispatched.

Last edited by phamilyman : 28th November 2011 at 23:31.
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2011, 23:52   #9821
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Just saw a truck that seemed to have gone the wrong way and (possibly) hit a LML scooter before dumping its contents (construction scaffolding rods) had unloaded on the Subhash chowk roundabout. Thankfully no one visibly seemed to have been injured.

Called the police who assured that a crane and ambulance/PCR was being dispatched.
Kudos to you - You played a good samartian here. Did the police ask any details about you or did they just take the "generic" information from you ?
Old 29th November 2011, 07:07   #9822
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
Kudos to you - You played a good samartian here. Did the police ask any details about you or did they just take the "generic" information from you ?
Just the generic information - exact location, requirement for crane/ ambulance, vehicles involved and such. This is not the 1st time I've called the police to report an accident.

I was with wife and 5 month old kid, so stopping at 11pm was not even a question - and there were about 5-6 bystanders and no one seemed to be visibly injured.

and honestly, a call to the police hardly qualifies as good samaritan.

Infact, I used to stop & genuinely help when I was a unmarried biker - was always having more time on hand, and mostly alone. Such is life.
Old 29th November 2011, 10:26   #9823
BHPian

Three persons perished in this accident. RIP.
3 die, 2 injured in accident | | | The New Indian Express

This place is 200/300mts from my place and I always see trucks stopping in leftmost lane making that lane unusable. In this case the lorry was in fast lane it seems. Really sad.
Old 29th November 2011, 22:49   #9824
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Mark, I am truly sorry for your loss and amazed at the composure and clearheadedness you are displaying in finding answers to what are most certainly reasonable questions. I trust you will find someone at Mercedes Benz who will be honest and open with you and perhaps an explanation or apology as needed will be provided to you at the earliest.

Please convey my condolences to your cousin- am sure this is unimaginably difficult for her and the rest of the family.

Anoop
Noopster - an explanation would be much appreciated, how would an apology suffice to what has happened.
Old 29th November 2011, 23:14   #9825
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Just the generic information - exact location, requirement for crane/ ambulance, vehicles involved and such. This is not the 1st time I've called the police to report an accident.

I was with wife and 5 month old kid, so stopping at 11pm was not even a question - and there were about 5-6 bystanders and no one seemed to be visibly injured.

and honestly, a call to the police hardly qualifies as good samaritan.

Infact, I used to stop & genuinely help when I was a unmarried biker - was always having more time on hand, and mostly alone. Such is life.
To Me calling the police or even offerring some water qualifies to be a good samaritan. I appreciate your gesture here.

I am totally opposite. I NEVER help anyone unknown however critical the situation maybe. If i see an accident i dont even bother to look. I just keep driving and if its a common vehicle like office bus / cab, i protest if the driver steps to offers help. Well ! Thats me !!. I am paranoid.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks