Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2011, 13:10   #9901
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannubhai View Post
We have drinking regulations by terms of age right !! Even if its 1030 as in case of Bangalore, if your son is 18 and is in a night club should worry a parent. Especially if he has been the keys of a high performance car.
Agree. But the point is not till what time is the nightclub open, but making sure no one does DUI. Be it at 2pm or 4am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
The more time a night club, where liquor is served and people spend their energies on jumping and other such "social" activities, is open the more the chances of people over drinking and hence the more the chances that they end up in these incidents.

I know where you are coming from; it is not yet proven that the guy at the wheel is drunk and it is bad to jump the guns, but liquor or not, spending the whole night at a night club would have its toll and driving at insane speeds after that is, as evident, precarious.
Dont agree at all. You mean to say that if a nightclub is closed at 1130pm rather than letting it open till 4am, the accident rates are going to come down ?? Going by this logic, why not lets ban booze in this country so that any "chance" of DUI is gone ??

What i am trying to say is - Spending the whole night at night club is no different from driving the entire night say for example if you were not drinking in the club. This point is not worth talking about - rather we should be concentrating on stuff like drag racing happening openly on our streets in the night. Police and Society's efforts should be to stop this and DUI rather than curbing the night life of our metro's.
ethanhunt123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th December 2011, 13:30   #9902
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post

What i am trying to say is - Spending the whole night at night club is no different from driving the entire night say for example if you were not drinking in the club. .

Anyway, we can agree to disagree. There is a reason why law does not permit night clubs beyond certain time, I am not too sure if this reasoning is included or not.
Old 13th December 2011, 13:34   #9903
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Agree. But the point is not till what time is the nightclub open, but making sure no one does DUI. Be it at 2pm or 4am.
No. At 4.00 AM, in addition to the drink, the biological clock also comes in to the picture.

I am not sorry for them. I am glad they did not run over any innocents, like the grandson of an admiral did with his BMW.
Old 13th December 2011, 13:46   #9904
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
No. At 4.00 AM, in addition to the drink, the biological clock also comes in to the picture.

I am not sorry for them. I am glad they did not run over any innocents, like the grandson of an admiral did with his BMW.
So do you propose banning driving at 4am ? Or people who are awake the entire night should'nt drive ?
Old 13th December 2011, 13:53   #9905
Senior - BHPian

I merely propose rich, immature kids should not be handed the vehicle keys to visit night clubs / pubs anytime they want.
Old 13th December 2011, 13:54   #9906
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So do you propose banning driving at 4am ? Or people who are awake the entire night should'nt drive ?
Dude, why are you taking a piece of statement and deducing logic out of it?

People who drive all night, should not drink and should be aware of their biological clocks and hence should not indulge in insane acts. There are people who drive while being awake all night and they do it carefully.

Where did anyone use the word ban at all? And I hope you are not actually proposing people to be at night clubs, enjoy till 5AM and drive (with or without influence) the hell out of their cars at insane speeds.
Old 13th December 2011, 13:57   #9907
BHPian

What is this High performance car got to do with the crash story? Judging the damage suffered on the outer body it is evident the car has rolled multiple times. You don't need a "high performance" car for it. Any car capable of reaching 100 Km/h can get into this situation.

Secondly, who's to say if the driver was not drunk that this crash would not happen?
Closing discotheques, or banning alcohol is not going to solve future accidents like these.
Old 13th December 2011, 14:06   #9908
Senior - BHPian

I am just trying to say that the 4am/5am has absolutely nothing to do with the incident. Such statements only serve the purpose of giving some bureaucrat sitting in his cozy office the excuse of banning nightlife.

What i say is - People who drink should not drive. Doesnt matter what time of the day it is. Nightclube can be open till any time, people should be educated not to mix drinking and driving. You should always have a designated driver in your group who doesnt drink on the night and if you cant find one - there are multiple agencies giving drivers for hire.

Anyways enough Off the Topic discussions, everyone to himself
Old 13th December 2011, 16:58   #9909
Senior - BHPian

One of the newspapers mention that the accord owner was approached by person in an audi to "race" and they agreed.

Its insane to do 200kph on an accord that too on palm beach road with 4 people on board. Anyone can drive at 200kmph but controlling the car at that speed makes the difference between rash & negligent driving and controlled driving.
Old 13th December 2011, 16:58   #9910
Senior - BHPian

Follow up on the story. Blames are flying here , there and everywhere except where it should !

Navi Mumbai Crash follow up
Old 13th December 2011, 17:05   #9911
BHPian

Quote:
I am just trying to say that the 4am/5am has absolutely nothing to do with the incident.
It sure has a lot to do with the incident. The more a watering hole is open translates to more pegs downed. The primary reason for having a time limit for night clubs in some cities is to minimize the number of hours one can spend drinking.
ExtremeTorque is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th December 2011, 17:21   #9912
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Follow up on the story. Blames are flying here , there and everywhere except where it should !

Navi Mumbai Crash follow up
Except where it should? The headline seems to say it all:

Accidents are caused by drivers, not roads.

There is a way to control roads like this. Speed cameras. Not the sort that measure your speed at a given point (these just cause drivers to slam on the breaks, and this might even increase the accidents) but the ones that record the car's registration and measure its speed between two or more points.

This accident has generated so much discussion, perhaps the mods might consider moving the many posts to a thread of their own?

For my general view... see my signature...
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2011, 17:37   #9913
Distinguished - BHPian

Judge and jury in, with all blames being allocated.
Nightlife called into question, and what not.
pegs downed or not, is the medical report out that confirms the driver was drunk?
dont hang the guys on this before it is confirmed.
Stupid on their part, IF they were racing as someone has mentioned, an audi.

And the jackassery of the admin , commendably evident here, more than the usual red bummed nonsense.
"yes, there are a lot of accidents, so we have asked some reserachers to STUDY and make SUGGESTIONS".
for 6 months!!
wah wah!
Buggers cant pull off one beaconed gypsy to park visibly?

I see the same bull in delhi.
The lodhi road crossing?
been accidental for close to 15 years now.
All the best mumbai, god knows when your number will come.
apna to 15 saal mein nahi aaya!!
(Ours didnt ccome in 15 years).
Old 13th December 2011, 23:12   #9914
Senior - BHPian

Just three things:

1. An accident is always a driver's fault, unless it is an "act of god". Whether it is you or the other driver is a matter of luck. Whether the driver is 18 or 80 it is always his / her fault. If you are old enough to drive, you are old enough to make decisions. Don't people in the US drive at 16?

2. All our lives, education, schooling, parenting, social conditioning, peer pressure add up to that ONE point of time when you made that choice between 60 kph and 90 kph. Or when you made that difference between "I shouldn't drive" or "I can drive, I am fine".

3. Closing discotheques, banning clubs, posting constables at every signal can only be a deterrent 10% of the time. The rest of the time it is always you. Do we have the guts not to touch the car after drinks? Do we refuse to move until everyone is belted up? Do we stop (or even slow down) at a traffic signal when it is red at 2.00 AM? Is your 6-year old watching you when you that?

Be a good driver. Make more good drivers. Till then, this senselessness will continue. We are lucky we have been alive so far.
architect is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 13th December 2011, 23:20   #9915
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeTorque View Post
It sure has a lot to do with the incident. The more a watering hole is open translates to more pegs downed. The primary reason for having a time limit for night clubs in some cities is to minimize the number of hours one can spend drinking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Except where it should? The headline seems to say it all:

Accidents are caused by drivers, not roads.

This accident has generated so much discussion, perhaps the mods might consider moving the many posts to a thread of their own?

For my general view... see my signature...
In view of this accident three main people are to be blamed

Parent: As someone mentioned its a parent's responsibility to bring up a kid. The parents miserably failed here. Attending Night Clubs/Parties till 5:00 am needs to raise an eyebrow of the parent. Secondly handing over the keys of an accord to an 18 year old son, who would be still a student is pure insaneness. They could have sent a driver along at the very least.

Victim (Driver) himself: The boy should be matured enough to understand the risks of drinking and Driving. They could have taken precautionary measures like having one driving friend not drinking, Hiring an "on-call driver" etc. Licenses are issued at the age of 18 years and not less so that people are matured enough to understand traffic sense. Victim should have declined to drive in the first place (forget racing an Audi). We office colleagues went for my B'Day treat last week, and a person in our group had drinks but politely declined driving. I drove people home in his car(I dont drink).

Policing and Law enforcement: I am sorry to make such an open remark, but most people have lost the fear of police. Example when i wait for my pickup at Dindoshi signal, Oberoi Mall, Mumbai at every red light i see 2-wheelers and 4-wheelers jumping the red light. No one seems to care for police or paltry fines. Police must really enforce itself and levy fines instead of taking some paltry bribe and let go scott free. I have seen cars zoom at 100kmph on the rajiv gandhi sea link when the speed limit is 50 kmph.

Bar kept open beyond stipulated hours: The bar management has suggested that they have closed by 1:30 am but the patrons kept haning around at the lobby till 5:30 am. The Bar will not chuck out its patrons as they would lose thier clientale.

Now a question for people who drink and are familiar with the effects of drinking. If a last drink is served at 1:00 am, assuming the bar closes by 1:30 am, would a person regain his senses by 5:30 am or does it take more time. If a person comes back to normalcy by 5:00 am, the bar definetly was opened beyond 1:30 am as they were supposedly drunk.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks