Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 28th December 2011, 22:58   #10006
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

This photo was Posted by "Chumma Oru Neram Pokkinu Mathram" in Facebook. According to the comments it happened in the Ramanatukara bye-pass near Kozhikode.

- Wind
Attached Images

Old 29th December 2011, 11:57   #10007
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind View Post
This photo was Posted by "Chumma Oru Neram Pokkinu Mathram" in Facebook. According to the comments it happened in the Ramanatukara bye-pass near Kozhikode.

- Wind

I do not know anything about Kerala SRTC personally, but whatever little I heard and gathered, that crashed bus with KSRTC written on it completely summarizes every bit of it!!

I meant, it looked as if KSRTC is using that crashed bus as a billboard to advertise themselves
Old 29th December 2011, 12:07   #10008
Senior - BHPian

Whats so funny about this accident ! there must be passengers here who got killed or injured badly !

Exits on both sides blocked ! wonder what happened to the driver and the co-driver ...must be scary !

Its time ,buses in India had 2 exits like the new Volvos .Most modern buses do have 2 exits . I can imagine how the situation would have been at this spot with passengers having to jump off the window into those pipes !

We have the whole world supporting Lokpal ( I can bet majority of them dont even know a single clause in it ) ...but issues like no seat belts ,no safety hammers ,no emergency exit DOORS .. are somethings no one is interested in !

Last edited by speedsatya : 29th December 2011 at 12:08.
speedsatya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2011, 12:07   #10009
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind View Post

- Wind
It happened in 2008, IIRC. An old pic in fact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
I do not know anything about Kerala SRTC...
The particular bus and its brethren, Tata Globus coaches were notorious for breakdowns. Their AC either doesn't work, or makes the bus a mobile freezer (that is, IF and WHEN it works). For all these reasons, maybe the driver decided to end it all in one shot - crash the bus and wreak vengeance on it

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
Whats so funny about this accident ! there must be passengers here who got killed or injured badly !
+1

Quote:
Exits on both sides blocked ! wonder what happened to the driver and the co-driver ...must be scary !

Its time ,buses in India had 2 exits like the new Volvos .Most modern buses do have 2 exits . I can imagine how the situation would have been at this spot with passengers having to jump off the window into those pipes !
The bus has emergency exits on either side - the broken window is one. Plus, there are emergency exits on the ceiling as well, as in Volvo buses. I think people escaped by climbing on to the roof and then on to the rock onto which the bus crashed.

Last edited by silversteed : 29th December 2011 at 12:16.
Old 29th December 2011, 12:19   #10010
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
yes there is nothing funny about the accident, but who is to blame? The driver evidently took a road under construction which is dug to build a culvert and he could not even notice it until he crashed it!! He is a govt employed driver with the lives of at least 50 passengers in his hand!

And just read about this: 44 children injured in road mishap

44 children injured, many critically! I hope everyone survives and recovers to their pinkest.

Everyday, I see these school buses driven with drivers who couldn't care less about his life forget about his innocent passengers, hitting a divider? That's the sickest thing to do when you are driving a school bus!
Old 29th December 2011, 12:37   #10011
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
yes there is nothing funny about the accident, but who is to blame? The driver evidently took a road under construction which is dug to build a culvert and he could not even notice it until he crashed it!! He is a govt employed driver with the lives of at least 50 passengers in his hand!

Everyday, I see these school buses driven with drivers who couldn't care less about his life forget about his innocent passengers, hitting a divider? That's the sickest thing to do when you are driving a school bus!
On the driver ,he wasnt my best friend .So I am in no way supporting him .But I have seen these KSRTC buses having headlights which would be worse than the tail lights on my bicycle .I always wonder how do these drivers drive in the night . Same way ,if he took a road which was dug up ,why did he enter it ! There must be no warning signs ...so here ,I am not talking about drivers ...the way the RTO tests are set up ,poorly trained drivers will always be driving our vehicles.

On how drivers drive or whose fault was it ...we can keep on debating ...i would also blame passengers for not reprimanding the driver for entering that road if this was during day time ...

My argument is about safety features in these buses .. why the #@!#! do we have care about these ...right?

About you seeing school buses being driven rash ,what have you done about it ? I get into fights almost everyday with drivers like these and I always stand the risk of more broken fingers ...I fight with drivers no matter where I am ...inside the vehicle or outside it .

But then not every one is like me ...why the heck should we bother as long as our own kids arent in this bus ..right ?

End of discussion ...I wont reply any more on this
Old 29th December 2011, 12:49   #10012
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I am not talking about drivers ...the way the RTO tests are set up ,poorly trained drivers will always be driving our vehicles.

On how drivers drive or whose fault was it ...we can keep on debating ...i would also blame passengers for not reprimanding the driver for entering that road if this was during day time ...

My argument is about safety features in these buses .. why the #@!#! do we have care about these ...right?
Safety features is one part, but probably 50% of the accidents caused by them could be avoided if they respect their life and the life of commuters/other road users. I watched a talk-show in one of the regional channel, and some of the points they made about KSTRC is quite appalling. They have strong union affiliations, and the arrogance and rash driving can be attributed to the protection (by law) they have. Normally, most of them do multiple shifts, and finish off the quota for the month (and for rest of the month, they can earn from other businesses). And more importantly, if they cause an accident, no criminal charges can be pressed against them.
Old 29th December 2011, 12:57   #10013
Senior - BHPian

Yes .This is what I have been saying .I know of instances where single drivers used to drive from Mangalore to Mumbai on KaSTRC buses.I am talking of pre-Volvo and pre-GQ days . Even now ,I know of buses being driuven

Punish the drivers ...but before that try and understand if the SRTCs are doing their bit to ensure our safety .If not ,then its the SRTCs that need to be corrected first . And thats where ,all of us are just ignoring .

You never know ,next time ,it could be one of us into whose vehicles these buses might crash into ...or it might someone from our family who might be in one those buses.

I keep writing to these SRTCs after every trip in a bus ,with feedback ...but no one bothers to reply when it is just one person mailing them .That is the reason ,I had started a thread here trying to see how we as a forum can take a lead in this ...but like other most important things ,this also got ignored... here we have more views and replies into filmstars and their cars than on issues like these

Last edited by speedsatya : 29th December 2011 at 13:07.
speedsatya is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th December 2011, 13:38   #10014
BHPian

Saw this in the morning near Lonavala on my way from Pune to Mumbai. Seems like the driver lost control on the curve due to overspeeding. Or may be he tried to hop into the heavy vehicles lane. Looked very bad.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-123.jpg  

Old 29th December 2011, 13:54   #10015
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas Ingle View Post
Saw this in the morning near Lonavala on my way from Pune to Mumbai. Seems like the driver lost control on the curve due to overspeeding. Or may be he tried to hop into the heavy vehicles lane. Looked very bad.
Given the location, I believe this is the same one reported in today's newspapers. Apparently the bus was carrying school children on a picnic to Kolhapur. 7-8 injured, one teacher critical.

Last edited by SDP : 29th December 2011 at 14:02.
Old 29th December 2011, 14:49   #10016
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas Ingle View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Given the location, I believe this is the same one reported in today's newspapers. Apparently the bus was carrying school children on a picnic to Kolhapur. 7-8 injured, one teacher critical.
Yup this is the same Amrutanjan bridge location on the Pune- Mumbai Expressway Ghat section. Most accident prone spot. I think the authorities must have lost count of the number of accidents that take place at this location.
This particular spot is approached from the Pune side after coming out of a tunnel and on a slope. So generally the vehicles are doing good speeds from Ghat section perspective. Then we have the road diverging into 2 lanes one for Heavy and other for Light Vehicles. For any newbie driver on this route this is a hazard.
Old 29th December 2011, 15:24   #10017
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ That is the ridiculous stretch on the expressway where the right lane is actually for slow moving/ heavy vehicles (you can make that out in your pic as well). As a result, heavy vehicles either cut across dangerously just before that point or, worse still, hog the right lane for LONG before that. Poor design translates into potentially dangerous situations.
Old 29th December 2011, 16:09   #10018
Senior - BHPian

A pic from Chennai. This Swift was coming at a High speed, lost control, hit the median and rolled 3 times before it came to a stop. The driver and whoever was sitting next to him at least had the brains to wear a Seat belt and they came out of the car without a scratch! The car is a total loss. Seat belts and Helmets- they are there for a reason!
Courtesy- Arjun Mohankumar.

Last edited by Anand123 : 29th December 2011 at 16:11.
Anand123 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 29th December 2011, 17:50   #10019
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Seat belts and Helmets- they are there for a reason!
And, in that car, it would have been good to be wearing both.

Another instance of "lost control" being a euphemism. Never had proper control in the first place. 100% driver error.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2011, 23:14   #10020
BHPian

A car has to weigh more or it must generate enough down-force to cope up with extra power. I have seen several moded swifts in the past which run down the ECR road in chennai pedal to metal. I know its all fun until unless we meet our fate. Thankfully they were semi educated to wear seat belts.

Most Viewed