Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2012, 00:19   #10096
kkg
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramneek009 View Post
. I asked the relatives of the victim to sit in the car so that i can get her treated in the nearest hospital. Took her to the hospital, got her treated and everything was fine as the victim, the family apologised and were thankful that i didn't run and helped instead but then came the surprise no. 1.

I hope the lady recovers

Here is the damage to my car:
That particular stretch is well lit these days but the road is also been widened and carpeted recently. So, everyone is seen speeding as a result of this and it is not easy to cross the road. BTW which nearby hospital you took her to?

Glad to know that nothing major happened and mob/people backed you. Appreciate your courage.
Old 8th January 2012, 07:43   #10097
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkg View Post
That particular stretch is well lit these days but the road is also been widened and carpeted recently. So, everyone is seen speeding as a result of this and it is not easy to cross the road. BTW which nearby hospital you took her to?

Glad to know that nothing major happened and mob/people backed you. Appreciate your courage.
Yeah, the road is well lit but only when the lights come up, it was 18:20 and the lights were yet to come up. Also it was raining so may be thats probably why the old lady panicked and wanted to cross the road ASAP.

I took her to Raja Harishchandra hostpital in Narela as it was the nearest. Moreover i was guided there by the victim's family only as i had no clue about any medical centre in that area.

The worst part is that when police were taking the statement of victim, they started writing all made up negative stuff on a piece of paper and after i lost my cool and literally gave them a piece of my mind, made a couple of calls, they started afresh with the exact occurrence of events as narrated by the victim's daughter-in-law.

Well, after experiencing such a thing, i strongly believe that overhead pedestrian bridges are very much required to be placed strategically (read: at bus stops) on NHs all across the country to minimize such accidents.
Old 9th January 2012, 13:05   #10098
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
Are you sure it's LB Road? Looks more like the Madhya Kailash junction on Sardar Patel Road. Glad that the car didn't fall into the Buckingham canal.
Aboslutely. Instead of SP road, i misquoted as LB road. Exactly near the Madhyakailash junction and happened in the morning. This happened on the last day of the "Road Safety Week" -
Old 9th January 2012, 18:26   #10099
Senior - BHPian

Get stronger bull bars next time.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-182249_10150103476863360_761593359_6163151_5075068_n.jpg  

Old 9th January 2012, 19:30   #10100
Team-BHP Support

In a rather unfortunate accident, a close friend's father lost his life and 3 others are critically injured when the vehicle they were travelling in rammed in to a stationary truck around midnight.

A sleepy driver is said to be the cause.

1) Please buckle-up; *all* the passengers
2) Please do not/do not let the driver sleep; either stop or change the driver
3) Please control your speeds. Even on t-bhp, people boast of 130~ km/hr figures. Why?!

Last edited by libranof1987 : 9th January 2012 at 19:31.
Old 9th January 2012, 19:48   #10101
BHPian

Quote:
Had an accident yesterday on GT-Karnal road. I was driving my swift and coming back from kundli heading to paschim vihar.

That's a nice gesture on your part. However, such situations can also land you in tricky places. I once had a similar experience in Gurgaon. I kept the guy in my car and carried him to the nearest hospital (Max). I was asked to fork out the entire damages by the relatives of the man.

The man incidentally was an electrician with a tent house and the tent house owner had good contacts with the local police. They started pressurizing me by flaunting their contacts. I asked the doc, who advised me to end it asap. It was only when I used some contacts and paid INR 1200 for the initial checkups that I got my DL and RC back.

Incidentally, the Traffic Cop at the crossing beleived it was not my mistake.

Cheers,
Tapish
Old 10th January 2012, 09:09   #10102
BHPian

Quote:
Well, after experiencing such a thing, i strongly believe that overhead pedestrian bridges are very much required to be placed strategically (read: at bus stops) on NHs all across the country to minimize such accidents.
This will only result in wasting public money. I would say do the underground instead (like all developed country do). If one does overhead, height is way too high for old people to cross, coupled with our thinking why claim when i can cross fast. These remain unused. If one does underground, hight can be limited, also if they plan correctly, these utilities must be elderly/handicapped friendly.
RaguHolla is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th January 2012, 10:53   #10103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapish View Post
That's a nice gesture on your part. However, such situations can also land you in tricky places. I once had a similar experience in Gurgaon. I kept the guy in my car and carried him to the nearest hospital (Max). I was asked to fork out the entire damages by the relatives of the man.

The man incidentally was an electrician with a tent house and the tent house owner had good contacts with the local police. They started pressurizing me by flaunting their contacts. I asked the doc, who advised me to end it asap. It was only when I used some contacts and paid INR 1200 for the initial checkups that I got my DL and RC back.

Incidentally, the Traffic Cop at the crossing beleived it was not my mistake.

Cheers,
Tapish
Yes, the situation could have ended badly for me, but at that moment i was not at all concerned about the police and stuff. In fact i didn't even have this thought that police is going to be involved now. It was only when i called my dad 30mins after the incident, he told me that police case might be registered.

Yes even i had to pay some amount to the victim and family as the injury was bad and also she was very old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaguHolla View Post
This will only result in wasting public money. I would say do the underground instead (like all developed country do). If one does overhead, height is way too high for old people to cross, coupled with our thinking why claim when i can cross fast. These remain unused. If one does underground, hight can be limited, also if they plan correctly, these utilities must be elderly/handicapped friendly.
I am not sure of what the correct solution should be, but don't you think building underground crossings would be a much much expensive affair. And since its a NH, which is being used by loads of heavy vehicles on a regular basis, i don't think its safe to build underground crossings at regular distances below the highway itself.
Old 10th January 2012, 11:05   #10104
Senior - BHPian

Underground is expensive, and over time, courtesy neglect becomes rain/muck prone and is often the den of unsavory elements unless it is policed. an open overhead bridge remains far safer (attracts lesser homeless elements). as long as it has a ramp, even elderly will use it.

Plus you never know how many cables and pipes will be found under the road once one digs - simpler to go overhead!
Old 10th January 2012, 11:19   #10105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Underground is expensive, and over time, courtesy neglect becomes rain/muck prone and is often the den of unsavory elements unless it is policed. an open overhead bridge remains far safer (attracts lesser homeless elements). as long as it has a ramp, even elderly will use it.

Plus you never know how many cables and pipes will be found under the road once one digs - simpler to go overhead!
And also not to forget the fact that it might lead to restriction of highway for use till the underground work is completed.

And i also feel that all the road lamps should automatically light up once the visibilty drops down to a certain level, like auto headlamps in a car.
Old 10th January 2012, 16:14   #10106
Team-BHP Support

I was shocked to see this Zen Estillo parked in the middle of the road, and diagonally at that, when I peeped out of my house. The car's hazards were switched on, and couldn't figure out much else.

And then I decided to take a walk and was in for a little shock!

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-09012012093.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-09012012094.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-09012012095.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-09012012096.jpg

The owner of the car was around, and was trying to make a phone call. He seemed visibly upset, but he was very polite when I approached him and engaged him in conversation. I offered to help, but he said that help is on the way.

From the looks of it, it looks like he was hit pretty hard at the intersection.

These intersections have seen many a accident over the years, despite the presence of uncomfortable and unscientific speed-breakers.
Old 10th January 2012, 16:32   #10107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaguHolla View Post
Which ever version you do, people will always take short cut unless

a) We cordon off the area

b) Provide escalators

We have seen many of these sky walks/tunnels unused unless they are cordoned off. The best exmple of usage in Bangalore are the ones near Railway Station only beacause of high griils which restrict people - you still find some adventurous people trying to climb - and make people use it compulsorily.
Old 10th January 2012, 16:49   #10108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
From the looks of it, it looks like he was hit pretty hard at the intersection.

These intersections have seen many a accident over the years, despite the presence of uncomfortable and unscientific speed-breakers.
Suhaas, did you intend to say 'due to' as against despite?

Quote:
Originally Posted by foby.sebastian View Post
The stability of the car is always important . After all these are not toys any compormise in stability to add
attraction to the one may end up in loosing the near and dear.
Amazing parking skills there. Looks like overspeeding on a curve gone slightly wrong.
Old 10th January 2012, 17:16   #10109
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Suhaas, did you intend to say 'due to' as against despite?
Actually yes. And no.

You see, before the speed-breakers came up, I used to see an accident almost every day. Now, I see an accident almost every other day. The only accidents you'd have 'due to' the unscientific speed-breaks are the ones whcih will harm your underbody, especially if you own a few Hondas. *look of despair*

Last edited by GTO : 11th January 2012 at 16:22. Reason: As per your reported post
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2012, 10:48   #10110
BHPian

Hate to inform you of yet another horrific accident on the bombay-Pune Expressway on the 9th near Khopoli.

My team member returning from Nagar after a funeral with his father, had a tyre burst and his i10 turtled 3 times before falling 15 feet down. The father died last night after severe head injuries. The friend is in Jupiter in a very serious state due to severe lower spinal cord crushing damage. Docs have said that the best possible case would be that he will be able to turn himself hip above but below the hip, no control or sensitivity. Will lead a paraplegic life. To add to the misery of the family, his wife of 3 years is expecting his first child in 1 month!

Guys, please drive safe. Even with seatbelts, safety is important.

Most Viewed