Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2012, 10:31   #10186
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post

The deceased has been identified as Salma Abbas Vakharia (66) while the injured are Abbas Vakharia (73), Huzaifa Vakharia (40), Meshram Sanai (35) and Shivkumar Kardilkar (31), all residents of Dhankawadi. Police said that Huzaifa was at the wheel and Salma, his mother, was in the passenger seat while father Abbas and their two employees were sitting in the rear seat. Huzaifa is a building construction contractor.

In the picture below you can imagine how severe the head-on impact would have been. The feather lite Wagon-R hitting a truck head-on with tonnes of load on it (virtually an immovable concrete wall), the front of the car completely smashed. Perhaps a car with air-bags would have helped reduce the human damage.

Attachment 874852

The second picture below showing how the truck intended to cross the E-way through the illegal break in the median & the broken E-way compound wall on the right top corner of the picture
the cabin seems to be intact, how were the injuries lethal ?
Old 21st January 2012, 10:38   #10187
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
the cabin seems to be intact, how were the injuries lethal ?
Though the cabin apparently seems to be intact from the above pictures, the front of the car has been severly damaged (will hunt for another picture from Sakal - Marathi daily, which clearly shows the damage). Also the lady (sitting in the co-driver seat) who succumbed to her injuries was 66 years old, so the old age would have aggravated the damage & she would not have been able to sustain the impact
Old 21st January 2012, 10:43   #10188
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post

say what?
"no sir, this leak is for air. I, Nitrogen, will not go through here!Never."

I wonder how people come to believe such stuff!
Quote:
Originally Posted by torquecurve View Post
I have recently had a lot of discussions with my friends who claim to have 'Nitrogen' in their tyres and so do not need to check it regularly as it does not leak. I believe this is also a reason for tyre bursts.

Also, PLEASE check your tyre pressures when the tyres are 'cold'. Ideally within 2 kms of driving in the early morning. ... A guage costs about a 100-200 bucks. Check it before you start on every monday. If required go to the 'nearest' tyre shop pay 10 bucks and get the air filled, remember to use your own guage.
Good points! Though nitrogen may be cooler than the ordinary air, it's beyond understanding how it cannot leak the same way as the air. Perhaps we should ask these users if the nitrogen will not escape if the tyre punctured.

The other problem with filling nitrogen seems to be not every tyre shop is equipped with nitrogen filling. And so people may tend to avoid filling up normal air in a tyre inflated with nitrogen.

About a tyre guage, it's difficult to procure one that's reliable. I have been asking almost all the tyre shops (branded tyre sellers as well as roadside shops) for a reliable gauge but few are ready to procure one, while each of them do seem to use either analog or digital guages.

Anyways, I believe continuing this discussion on the Accident Pics thread may not be right.
Old 21st January 2012, 12:19   #10189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
Good points! Though nitrogen may be cooler than the ordinary air, it's beyond understanding how it cannot leak the same way as the air. Perhaps we should ask these users if the nitrogen will not escape if the tyre punctured.

The other problem with filling nitrogen seems to be not every tyre shop is equipped with nitrogen filling. And so people may tend to avoid filling up normal air in a tyre inflated with nitrogen.

About a tyre guage, it's difficult to procure one that's reliable. I have been asking almost all the tyre shops (branded tyre sellers as well as roadside shops) for a reliable gauge but few are ready to procure one, while each of them do seem to use either analog or digital guages.

Anyways, I believe continuing this discussion on the Accident Pics thread may not be right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post

say what?
"no sir, this leak is for air. I, Nitrogen, will not go through here!Never."

I wonder how people come to believe such stuff!
Quote:
Originally Posted by torquecurve View Post
I have recently had a lot of discussions with my friends who claim to have 'Nitrogen' in their tyres and so do not need to check it regularly as it does not leak. I believe this is also a reason for tyre bursts. Underinflation results in the tyre heating up very quickly. A properly inflated tyre will have lower temperature which means it is safer.

To prove this, I checked the tyres of my friends car, who fills 'only nitrogen' and checks every 3 months. It was more than a month since he last checked. I used my pressure guage (which is tested against 3 other guages to ensure it shows right pressure). My tyre was at 32 psi. His was a dangerous 25 psi (Santro). At high speeds this can be dangerous for sure.

Also, PLEASE check your tyre pressures when the tyres are 'cold'. Ideally within 2 kms of driving in the early morning. Most of us check tyre pressure at the pump on non calibrated machines. A guage costs about a 100-200 bucks. Check it before you start on every monday. If required go to the 'nearest' tyre shop pay 10 bucks and get the air filled, remember to use your own guage.
I think we should get our facts right. Filling Nitrogen is not that bad as you guys describe. It definitely has its own advantages over air, the molecules of Nitrogen are larger than oxygen thus providing a more stable inflation. more stable under temperature fluctuations hence maintaining a more consistent inflation pressure and it has less moisture (no combination of water vapor+oxygen) and hence less corrosive.

I have personal experiences, my swift used to stand in sunlight all day and with just air it lost around couple of psi almost every week but with nitrogen i have found myself surprised many times. I have last checked my punto after a month, guess what it remains same pressure. Be it nitrogen or air you have to maintain a constant tyre pressure, that is the only way to keep the car safe and stable at speeds wrt to tyres.

check this out Nitrogen vs Air In Tires - Why Nitrogen in Tires - Popular Mechanics
RIC.BURNS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2012, 12:22   #10190
BHPian

Quote:
News: Courtesy Pune Mirror:

On Friday there was this horrible accident on Mumbai-Pune Expressway. Gahunje Stadium developers’ game of hide-and-seek with authorities — illegally breaching the E-way so their trucks can take short cut to construction site — claimed life of woman driving on the correct side
]
On my recent trip to pune I saw dumpers being driven on the wrong side in the same patch that to in the night time with high beam. These dumpers and the managers of the company should be charged with homicide and imprisoned for the rest of their lives if not hung. One of the best express ways is now more dangerous than the Maoist infested areas!
Old 21st January 2012, 12:39   #10191
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIC.BURNS

I think we should get our facts right. Filling Nitrogen is not that bad as you guys describe. It definitely has its own advantages over air, the molecules of Nitrogen are larger than oxygen thus providing a more stable inflation. more stable under temperature fluctuations hence maintaining a more consistent inflation pressure and it has less moisture (no combination of water vapor+oxygen) and hence less corrosive.

I have personal experiences, my swift used to stand in sunlight all day and with just air it lost around couple of psi almost every week but with nitrogen i have found myself surprised many times. I have last checked my punto after a month, guess what it remains same pressure. Be it nitrogen or air you have to maintain a constant tyre pressure, that is the only way to keep the car safe and stable at speeds wrt to tyres.

check this out Nitrogen vs Air In Tires - Why Nitrogen in Tires - Popular Mechanics
A molecular leak is irrelevant for a tyre.
And pumps dispense compressed air, not oxygen.
Nitrogen is filled to provide a more stable pressure in varying temperatures.
But this is neither here nor there.
Old 21st January 2012, 13:40   #10192
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Note from Mod : Please stick to the topic. We have other dedicated threads on tyre burst issues.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st January 2012, 13:42   #10193
BHPian

Quote:
News: Courtesy Pune Mirror:

On Friday there was this horrible accident on Mumbai-Pune Expressway. Gahunje Stadium developers’ game of hide-and-seek with authorities — illegally breaching the E-way so their trucks can take short cut to construction site — claimed life of woman driving on the correct side

I still cant understand how authorities cant still understand the basics of highway safety even after so many accidents. It is very clear from the photographs that the truck driver was to be blamed for the whole incident. Also, the highway authorities turning a nelson eye to the illegal route taken by the construction contractor should be probed and the culprits be brought to justice.

Having driven a considerable time on the expressway, i have made a mental note of some of the issues

1. Highway users come from all parts of the society. Bullock carts, tractors, overloaded passenger jeeps and the usual traffic share the same roads. Problem is when some ignorant idiots use the one way route as shot cuts to save fuel and drive onto oncoming traffic. THIS MUST STOP AT ALL COSTS.

2. Many car/truck users explore the limits of their vehicles driving at reckless speeds down the open roads. Couple this with inexperience of high speed driving is a sure recipe of tragedy.

3. Indians in general are ignorant about the safety features of their vehicles. Highway driving demands a lot from the driver and also from the vehicle. It is evident from the photos, that a car with high crash safety rating+ABS+Airbags could have fared better.

I dont know how many innocent people will have to be sacrificed before the concerned authorities and we Indians in general wake up.
Old 21st January 2012, 16:57   #10194
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_myth View Post
I still cant understand how authorities cant still understand the basics of highway safety even after so many accidents. It is very clear from the photographs that the truck driver was to be blamed for the whole incident. Also, the highway authorities turning a nelson eye to the illegal route taken by the construction contractor ..................... 1. Highway users come from all parts of the society. Bullock carts, tractors, overloaded passenger jeeps and the usual traffic share the same roads. Problem is when some ignorant idiots use the one way route as shot cuts to save fuel and drive onto oncoming traffic. THIS MUST STOP AT ALL COSTS.................
This post is important, but who is listening? The authorities certainly not. An Indian driving parctice is to keep headlights on when going the wrong side, today morning a dumper was doing this on the Eastern Express highway near Godrej. At night time these idiots often blind the ongoing traffic. This is so dangerous and deadly, the punishment should be suspension of licence on the spot for some months and the vehicle to be collected from the pound. One must not be allowed to drive even a few feet for this offence. Only then may some change in thinking come about. One should see the amount of advance warning put up on German highways whenever there is some obstruction, mostly for repairs. Hope the authorities enforce the rules.

Cheers harit
Old 21st January 2012, 17:12   #10195
Senior - BHPian

Yes driving against oncoming traffic in Highways leave aside Expressways is to be viewed very seriously and to be punished ruthlessly. This truck driver brutally murdered this woman and I repeat his act tantamount to cold blooded murder. He may even walk out scot-free.
There used to be a saying that atop an elephant one need not fear dogs and the truck drivers treat small vehicles with condescension.
Though roads have improved by leaps and bounds the behaviour of a lot of drivers have deteriorated manifold.

Last edited by rajeev k : 21st January 2012 at 17:14.
Old 21st January 2012, 19:36   #10196
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
News: Courtesy Pune Mirror:...

...Yet the car could not stop within desired distance, it being loaded with 5 passengers didn't help either
Quote:
I still cant understand how authorities cant still understand the basics of highway safety...

...3. Indians in general are ignorant about the safety features of their vehicles. Highway driving demands a lot from the driver and also from the vehicle. It is evident from the photos, that a car with high crash safety rating+ABS+Airbags could have fared better...

I dont know how many innocent people will have to be sacrificed before the concerned authorities and we Indians in general wake up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
This post is important, but who is listening?...

Cheers harit
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
Yes driving against oncoming traffic in Highways leave aside...

...Though roads have improved by leaps and bounds the behaviour of a lot of drivers have deteriorated manifold.
Some very valid points put forth here, regarding this accident.

It's very unfortunate that such accidents happen. And at the cost of what? A liter of fuel and 5 minutes of extra driving? I don't get it. I know, we as Indians are thrifty and there is nothing wrong with that, but a line has to be drawn somewhere. This not excusable at all!

And somehow, I believe that this mentality is not going to change anytime soon. But there is still a solution. Well, it isn't a solution actually. Precautionary and preventive measures can be taken.

1) These dividers/medians should be raised to a considerable height. And they must incorporate a strong foundation for it, so that it won't be easy for people to just break the median and create a makeshift intersection just because it's convenient.

2) It's high-time car companies stop short-changing the Indian customer and offer airbags and ABS as standard-equipment on all cars, irrespective of the price of the car and the segment. People might be willing to save a few tens of thousands and acquire a car without these features, but it must be made mandatory, even if it's at a cost. After all, you can't put a price on people's lives! And that's what car-companies are doing.

I wouldn't say that it's entirely their fault. It's the people who make the car companies what they are in the Indian market, today. They want what they want, and the companies are only happy to oblige.

ARAI needs a huge revamp. They must not entertain 'optional-safety-kit'.

Something to think about.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 21st January 2012 at 19:38.
suhaas307 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st January 2012, 20:06   #10197
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIC.BURNS View Post
I think we should get our facts right. Filling Nitrogen is not that bad as you guys describe.
I think the comments are not about the benefits of nitrogen vs ordinary air, but the tendency of the people to assume things about nitrogen which, quite honestly, aren't verifiable truths. Further discussion on this would better be placed in some already existing thread about nitrogen, IMO.

The expressway incident posted above is a classic example of the apathy of the traffic police and the other agencies in charge of maintaining the public roads. I have personally had a close call with such trucks at exactly the same spot twice, after which I now tread extremely cautiously at this place. I hope the police learn their lesson at least now.
Old 21st January 2012, 20:22   #10198
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
2) It's high-time car companies stop short-changing the Indian customer and offer airbags and ABS as standard-equipment on all cars, irrespective of the price of the car and the segment. People might be willing to save a few tens of thousands and acquire a car without these features, but it must be made mandatory, even if it's at a cost. After all, you can't put a price on people's lives! And that's what car-companies are doing.
Although I always pray that these safety features become mandatory on Indian roads, practically speaking, it will take time.

For starters, what is possible is that, vehicles having features such as ABS, Airbags and EBD, etc in view of their safety standards are charged less towards YEARLY INSURANCE COVER.

On expressways, such vehicles should to allowed some concessions towards toll charges. Such more measures might change the attitude towards these vehicles.
Old 21st January 2012, 20:38   #10199
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post

I wouldn't say that it's entirely their fault. It's the people who make the car companies what they are in the Indian market, today. They want what they want, and the companies are only happy to oblige.
Completely agree. And more than manufacturers, the lack of regulations (related to safety) and car buying public’s affinity towards low cost variants are to be blamed. If rules are in place to have minimum safety norms as standard fitments, atleast we’ll stop seeing folks asking for base variants with no safety features. Actually we even get to see many such pleas in an informed forum like ours.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2012, 12:18   #10200
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... vehicles having features such as ABS, Airbags and EBD, etc in view of their safety standards are charged less towards YEARLY INSURANCE COVER.
Agree wholeheartedly. That's a good suggestion.

Quote:
On expressways, such vehicles should to allowed some concessions towards toll charges.
Don't agree with this, though. There's no logic to this argument. It's the same flawed logic which allows two and three wheelers to use the toll roads without paying tolls, though they get to enjoy the same benefits like the toll paying vehicles. There's no link to the safety features in a car and the convenience they get by using a toll road.

I agree with the principle of your post that such vehicles should be promoted, but not through lesser tolls.

Most Viewed