Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 29th February 2012, 10:31   #10486
Senior - BHPian

Looking at the ANHC I wonder what would have happened if a bigger vehicle had rear ended it, even at much lesser speed! I think I'll need a Humvee to feel safe driving around in the city!
Old 29th February 2012, 10:33   #10487
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Is it possible that the city was backing up or stand still? A lot of people do this when they miss a lane or forget something home and decide to take a short cut. The dzire driver assumed it to be moving, miscalculated the lane change and hit it! I dont see any other reason why the dzire will hit it at full speed even 100 feet of braking can reduce a lot of speed unless the driver dozed off or got a heart attack.
Old 29th February 2012, 11:37   #10488
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Compared to Dzire, the damage to City's rear is catastrophic even though the rear is supposedly the strongest part of a sedan. I am skeptical of City's crash worthiness, atleast from the rear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect View Post
Unless the Swift Dzire ploughed into the Honda City at some triple digit speeds, there was no way a sedan could have got shortened to that extent. We have seen so many accident pics with the cabin of the car intact despite a huge impact but in case of the City, the cabin seems to have lost all integrity from the rear.
The illustrations show that the Dzire was doing really high speeds. But yes, this does leave a big question mark on the crash-worthiness. It’s really shocking to see the Honda reduced to half of its original length.
Old 29th February 2012, 12:13   #10489
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 1st March 2012 at 12:47.
prateek_ch is offline   Received Infraction
Old 29th February 2012, 15:44   #10490
BANNED

Quote:
You can see the pictures of the Dzire. It has suffered relatively much lesser damage even though it was the front.
You're comparing the wrong Dzire. The one you see in the pics is from a seperate accident that happened on 20th Feb by MEA official's cleaner.
Old 29th February 2012, 15:47   #10491
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You can see the pictures of the Dzire. It has suffered relatively much lesser damage even though it was the front.
This isnt the Swift that was involved in the Honda CIty accident !
Old 29th February 2012, 15:58   #10492
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Minister drives a brand new bus and hits auto after inaugurating the services on a new route. He doesn't have a license to drive heavy vehicles nor experience in driving a heavy vehicle. As per TOI, he was let free because he agreed to compensate for the damaged auto and he drove because his supporters wanted him to inaugurate this service in style.

Minister drives bus, hits auto
>>>

Uproariously funny. Ministers and their types have been driving this nation since 1947 and we know how well we have been driven

Regards
Old 29th February 2012, 16:52   #10493
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
This isnt the Swift that was involved in the Honda CIty accident !
Pictures are in the TOI link...even there Dzire doen't look as bad as the City

Continuing on the same topic, I found the below picture on facebook.
Also qualifies for the Bad drivers thread.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-ouch.jpg
hemanth.anand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th February 2012, 17:56   #10494
BHPian

^^^ The only thing I can say after seeing that; he deserved it!
lordofgondor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th February 2012, 19:04   #10495
BHPian

^^ No helmet! No jacket! No gloves ! No knee-cap! he might as well try doing the stunts naked :P
ankan.m.blr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th February 2012, 19:13   #10496
Senior - BHPian

@Ankan.m.blr

You forgot to complete the sentence. No face, no girl friend, no life and back to square 1. Take bike, do stunt to woo girls with No Helmet, No Jacke, No Gloves........and goes on.

IMHO everyone of us have done crazy things. One such thing that went wrong. I can still remember days when i know if not for someone watching me i would have been crushed or even flying across a median. We were lucky. Unlucky guy there.

Man needs challenges. Else its just plain boring.
VW2010 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th February 2012, 20:20   #10497
BHPian

About City and Dzire accident-
I still can't stop feeling that Honda has cheated us by making tall claims like having "world's largest indoor crash testing facility". City and Brio are the only two Honda's selling in India which doesn't have any EuroNCAP or ANCAP safety rating. Even though we don't know what happened to Dzire, seeing that the front passenger survived, I think it's clear that Honda's claims about safety in Brio and City is just a market gimmick. This is disappointing! I've always looked up to Honda who always maintained their standard by retaining highest safety standards (airbags and ABS) even on base model in this age of cost-cutting.

A 4-star safety rated Dzire smashes City into such an ugly mess! Unbelievable, Honda, unbelievable!
DevilsCry is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th February 2012, 20:28   #10498
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
You forgot to complete the sentence. No face, no girl friend, no life and back to square 1. Take bike, do stunt to woo girls with No Helmet, No Jacke, No Gloves........and goes on.
No helmet, no jacket ... <fill in the blanks> ... bottom line, no brains!
KiloAlpha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th February 2012, 23:21   #10499
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
But some fault lies with the City driver as well. I dont think he checked for traffic on his right before completing that left turn.
My thoughts exactly!

When I'm approaching a junction, I always stop and look to see if the coast is clear. 90% of the people in India don't do that. They believe it's their birth-right to drive through anyway and they also believe that everyone else HAS to stop/slow down for them.

When you're at a junction and you see a car speeding or driving fast, it's only sensible to back off and give him way. Whether he is right or wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
OMG, City has shrunk to a hatch-back size. How can Dzire, a hatchback with a boot, damage a proper sedan to this extent? I shudder to think of a City being rear-ended by a bus/truck then. Shouldn't Honda beef up rear section?
No amount of beefing-up would help a car retain its body-parts if it has been rear-ended by another car that was probably doing 3-digit speeds. Besides, one must take into account the recoil/reaction of the accident. Obviously the City moved forward and hit something, after it was rear ended. For all we know, that could have been the reason why the lives were lost.
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th February 2012, 23:55   #10500
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhilesh View Post
You're comparing the wrong Dzire. The one you see in the pics is from a seperate accident that happened on 20th Feb by MEA official's cleaner.
No i am not looking at the picture in the link. I read the story on NDTV where they had pictures of both the cars.

Most Viewed