Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th March 2012, 16:26   #10636
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

On the issue of college students driving like crazy and not wearing seat belts, with all due respect to all seniors, I often find the exact opposite happening within my circle with me and and my friends wearing seat belts and the elders joking about how we have become too old at too early an age! Quite often it makes my blood boil but I try and keep quite. My point is, this problem is with poeple of all ages and not just college students.
scuderiamania is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th March 2012, 16:33   #10637
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
I doubt if they were wearing seat belts.
If you wont wear seat belts in i20 the Warning buzzer will keep on beeping till you buckle up. You cannot ignore that sound as its so irritating and loud. Till today i have not seen any i20 driver or front passenger in Bangalore who has not buckled up. Yes you can cheat this easily, but not seen in this case.

But in Most of the Swifts i have seen in Bangalore its other way around.

Last edited by wildon : 12th March 2012 at 16:36.
Old 12th March 2012, 18:08   #10638
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildon View Post
If you wont wear seat belts in i20 the Warning buzzer will keep on beeping till you buckle up. You cannot ignore that sound as its so irritating and loud. Till today i have not seen any i20 driver or front passenger in Bangalore who has not buckled up. Yes you can cheat this easily, but not seen in this case.

Same thing happen in my Honda City, even if I don't remember to buckle up the buzzer will keep on beeping at regular interval but it is not irritating.

PS - The i20 also has a bass tube, may be the music was also loud.
Old 13th March 2012, 04:57   #10639
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuderiamania View Post
On the issue of college students driving like crazy and not wearing seat belts, with all due respect to all seniors, I often find the exact opposite happening within my circle with me and and my friends wearing seat belts and the elders joking about how we have become too old at too early an age! Quite often it makes my blood boil but I try and keep quite. My point is, this problem is with poeple of all ages and not just college students.
+1. I dont think the habit is with any particular age group. I have seen some youngsters following the rules diligently while seniors from the Ambassador/Padmini era not even bothered to buckle up.
In those old days traffic was sparse and cars were slower but today seat belts are must for front and back passenger.
Old 13th March 2012, 06:57   #10640
Senior - BHPian

This is Gruesome. How could people afford to be so negligent?

Child, left behind in locked car, dies

Quote:
A two-year-old boy is suspected to have died of suffocation after his father left him in a car with running air-conditioner outside their house in Pattabiram on Sunday afternoon. Police are likely to arrest the father for causing death by negligence.

Pattabiram police sources identified the little boy as Ilamaran, son of Maruti's (25), a resident of Kakkanji Nagar in Pattabiram. The incident took place around 1.15 p.m. when he along with his father was playing inside his father's car parked outside their house. “Maruti who is an owner-cum-driver of a lorry which he drives on contract for the Food Corporation of India godown in Pattabiram, received a phone call from FCI office to collect an advance amount for an assignment. Maruti left immediately leaving the boy in the car with the air-conditioner switched on,” said S. Krishnan, Assistant Commissioner of Police, Pattabiram.

Shortly after he reached the FCI godown, Maruti realised that he had left his son alone in the car and rushed back to find Ilamaran lying unconscious inside. He rushed him to a private hospital nearby where doctors pronounced him as brought dead. The last rites for the child were performed on Monday morning.

The body of the child would be retrieved and sent for post-mortem, sources added.
Source
Old 13th March 2012, 08:34   #10641
Senior - BHPian

Just read in the TOI (front page) that a T-Fort ran amok and killed one person sleeping on the pavement in 3rd Main HRBR layout. Three others were injured. It seems the T-Fort was being driven by a woman. Scary.

Here's the news link: http://m.timesofindia.com/PDATOI/art...w/12242452.cms

Last edited by IronH4WK : 13th March 2012 at 08:57.
Old 13th March 2012, 08:58   #10642
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Same thing happen in my Honda City, even if I don't remember to buckle up the buzzer will keep on beeping at regular interval but it is not irritating.

PS - The i20 also has a bass tube, may be the music was also loud.
There is a work around for this which I have seen the older generation take advantage of. They pull the seatbelt and buckle it in - the noise stops and they sit crushing the belt behind their backs. SImple.

And it's futile explaining to them why this is dangerous.
Old 13th March 2012, 09:09   #10643
BHPian

Quote:

Mine is 2010 i20 Magna the seat belt warning buzzer only buzzes for 20 seconds and then stops even if I dont wear seat belts (I generally dont wear seat belts if I have to go for short distance say 1 km -- Slowing getting over this habit). I will have to get it checked from the service advisor in my next visit if in other i20's the buzzer doesnt stop.
Old 13th March 2012, 09:16   #10644
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by athanedar View Post
Mine is 2010 i20 Magna the seat belt warning buzzer only buzzes for 20 seconds and then stops even if I dont wear seat belts
That is normal. not 20sec its 100 seconds.If there is any movement (weight) again in the seat it will continue to start beeping.

Last edited by wildon : 13th March 2012 at 09:30.
Old 13th March 2012, 10:50   #10645
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
That is normal. not 20sec its 100 seconds.If there is any movement (weight) again in the seat it will continue to start beeping.
Till now I always had to remind the passengers in my car to wear there seat belts. But since I have bought the Altis which has the seat belt alarm system its become so much more convenient. People now are amused and themselves wear the belt either in appreciation of the system or due to the irritation it causes. I sincerely feel it should be made mandatory in all cars and should be introduced for even the back seat passengers.
drmohitg is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2012, 10:53   #10646
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
This is Gruesome. How could people afford to be so negligent?

Child, left behind in locked car, dies

Source
Thats scary! Are we missing some detail here? do people die by just being in a stationary car with AC switched on? Is it also possibly because of the Car being in a confined space and the AC in fresh air mode?

An additional thought on this : I had always wondered what is a safe period of time to keep the AC in recirc mode - especially with 4 people on board. On long drives I usually keep the AC on fresh air mode, but sometime in summers and when you are driving in the city you remain in recirculation mode for fairly long periods of time.
Old 13th March 2012, 11:21   #10647
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigzero View Post
Thats scary! Are we missing some detail here? do people die by just being in a stationary car with AC switched on? Is it also possibly because of the Car being in a confined space and the AC in fresh air mode?
I agree, same qs here. I didnt think it was dangerous to keep A/C running in a stationary car.

I remember reading about carbon monoxide poisoning, but isnt that when car is in a closed space (like a garage), and car windows are open ?

Can someone please elaborate on these.
Old 13th March 2012, 11:31   #10648
BHPian

Another late night high speed drive kills a labour sleeping on the platform. This is the new facelifted fortuner. for sure less than a month old. Not sure if the airbags deployed. but looking at the pics, does not seem to be at high speed atleast when it crashed on to the pole or whatever it is.

let the soul R.I.P

Link to News article:

The Hindu : Cities / Bangalore : Man dead as car ploughs throughlabourers sleeping on pavement
Old 13th March 2012, 13:41   #10649
BHPian

Some news from mangalore!!

http://www.tvmangalore.com/images1/d...612_accdn9.jpg

Mangalore: Speeding Car Smashes into Divider - Four Youngsters Injured
Old 13th March 2012, 14:10   #10650
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A350XWB View Post
You mean that there is a problem with the i20 steering that causes accidents? Or did I miss something? The last I heard were the rattling issues and dead steering. Not a steering that causes the car to hit the divider at 80-100 kmph.
Glad that the occupants are safe. Proves that safety kits are no mere gizmos.
Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Whatever it was that our fellow member skanchan experienced in his i20. I would like to say it was lockup, but honestly I dont remember.

Edit: here is the thread. though I dont have the time to search for the exact post now :(
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ership-11.html
The incident that selfdrive has mentioned happened with me. In December 2010 (just over a year after purchasing the car), the steering of my i20 suddenly became rock hard in the middle of traffic, not once but twice, all this when the car was in motion. I was lucky that the car was slow and I was able to bring the car to a stop safely. God knows what would have happened if I had been on the highway doing 80-90 kmph. And yes, my i20 too has the dreaded steering rattle issue,all sorts of experiments were done to fix it, none of them worked .

This incident was bought to the notice of Hyundai, who took it extremely lightly, probably thinking the incident happened in a small town, hence no one would come to know of it. Their response was pathetic and highly irresponsible, to say the least.

The incident,in detail, is mentioned here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post2178493

Had I hit or run over someone that day, those great fellows at Hyundai surely would have claimed that the steering failed after the accident.

IMHO, the i20 is one car that does not deserve the 5 star Euro NCAP rating. What Hyundai deserves is to be kicked out of the country for making an unsafe and poor i20 steering system(literally playing with their customers lives!!!!) and then not being competent enough to fix severe rattle issues in it. This is the bitter truth and affected i20 owners as well as Hyundai knows it very well.

Last edited by skanchan95 : 13th March 2012 at 14:32.
skanchan95 is online now   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks