Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2012, 01:24   #10726
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPEEDY_RACER View Post
Just came through and online news websites regarding the School Categories.

Just copied the content of the news

"Khammam: At least 16 children are feared dead after a school bus fell into a canal in Khammam district of Andhra Pradesh this afternoon.

The bus belonging to LV Reddy School was reportedly carrying 40 children.

It plunged into the canal while trying to avoid a collision with a bike, said an eyewitness.

More details are awaited."
Just got an update on the news these accident has resulted in the death of 13 children's, and the reason for the accident is that the Bus cleaner was driving the vehicle.
Old 21st March 2012, 01:38   #10727
Senior - BHPian

Similar incident happened in Goa recently on the day of Carnival resulting in Carnival got cancelled. IIRC 8-10 school children died in that accident.
I read somewhere recently that it seems one of the student was at the wheel at the time of the accident. Very bad if its true.
Old 21st March 2012, 12:58   #10728
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas Ingle View Post
.........realised that meows were from the hood. On opening the hood we saw the scared cat sitting on the gearbox. .........
This happened to me in my Merc 124. I started in the morning and heard a strange whine. I took the car straight to the mechanic, started the engine and he also heard this noise. We figured that it came from the engine compartment and opened the bonnet. There, wedged between the fan and engine sat a cat, how the cat managed this is not clear. The cat was both angry and frightened, and refused to come out. We took a big stick from a watchman, and on seeing the stick the cat jumped out and fled. We saw that a part of the fur was shaved and oily, would have been a mess if entangled. I had driven for about 2 KMs to the mechanic.
This cat now has atleast 8 lives left.

Cheers harit
harit is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2012, 23:34   #10729
Senior - BHPian

Tragic crash that claimed young Ceo's life.The guy was wearing full gear, but somehow when his 2 months old BMW 1200GS skidded, somehow the helmet too was unbuckled and guy hit pole head first.May his soul RIP...
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-photo1184.jpg  

Old 23rd March 2012, 02:47   #10730
BHPian

Guys, I wanted to share something that happend a few days ago. It it two separate but linked incidents. It indirectly involves me as well.

On a Friday night (sat morning) I was driving on the Wakdewadi (shoppers stop) road when I overtook a Black Santro. I was driving fast (60-70) as the time was almost 0130 hrs. Then I turned onto the new Sangamwadi road. This is a very good road with dividers on both sides. All of a sudden the Santro cut me off, ( I was close to 80 kmph). I had to brake but then adrenalin took over and I started chasing the car (we touched 110-120) and overtook him. Just then I reached the intersection, slowed down and took my turn. When I looked in my rear view the car was stopped on the other side (took a left turn), A chap got out and was gesticulating at me. Not wanting an argument I moved on.

A couple of days later I read in the paper about a Santro colliding into a pole on the same road with a loss of life. In some papers it was reported as a Zen but in some it was a Santro. Happened at about the same time.

Now I am feeling guilty. Was I to blame for this accident somewhere? Should I have just let it be when he started driving aggressively? Would that have probably let him have an ego massage and made him happy to not do this again? Well, it is eating me up!

I know this is not a confessions thread and I dont want it to be that way. But just wanted to get my fellow road users take on my stupidity.
Old 23rd March 2012, 04:23   #10731
BHPian

Happened with my friend. He tried to avoid a dog at 40 KM speed and did not see a big ditch in the darkness when he suddenly turned the steering right.

Nothing happened to him as he was wearing seat belts but his fiancee was thrown around in the car. No serious injuries. Happened somewhere near Art of Living near Kanakpura road.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-0431.jpg  

Old 23rd March 2012, 08:35   #10732
BHPian

Thank god for saving me from a near fatal accident today during regular cycle training ride. Would have lost both legs if I had not pulled them away from going under the wheels of an overtaking lorry which hit me at slow speed. Still one tire went over both shoes which resulted with both fractured ankles. The shoes being made of carbon fibre sole, the tire went over them without crushing my entire feet. A friend quickly arranged auto which I took to return home. Thanking my stars. 21 days of bed rest now.
Old 23rd March 2012, 08:47   #10733
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay380 View Post
Thank god for saving me from a near fatal accident today during regular cycle training ride. Would have lost both legs if I had not pulled them away from going under the wheels of an overtaking lorry which hit me at slow speed. Still one tire went over both shoes which resulted with both fractured ankles. The shoes being made of carbon fibre sole, the tire went over them without crushing my entire feet. A friend quickly arranged auto which I took to return home. Thanking my stars. 21 days of bed rest now.
Take care buddy. Thank FSM for the injuries being limited.
Did the lorry-driver stop to help or just vanished?
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2012, 09:01   #10734
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Take care buddy. Thank FSM for the injuries being limited.
Did the lorry-driver stop to help or just vanished?
Nope. He vanished. Would not even know that someone actually got under his rear wheels. No L-OVRM. People around asked me if they should stop him but I said no cos I was in severe pain and putting myself together was my first priority.
Old 23rd March 2012, 09:32   #10735
BHPian

Bravo akshay380! Your mindset saved you the most. Unlike most people, you wear safety gears even while riding the cycle. No one would have imagined that even carbon fibre sole shoes could have aided in safety. Not only you had presence of mind during emergency to pull away your legs but also to insist people to give more priority to taking you hospital instead of chasing the lorry driver. Your cycling thread is a source of inspiration to a lot of people including me. You're my role model. Instead of crying and lamenting (I know how severe it's to have both ankles broken), you're back to your normal hobbies like surfing T-BHP. All the best recovering from broken ankles. Very glad to see that you narrowly missed from losing your legs.

Sorry about your damaged Shwinn though (supposing that you were riding this one). Your Shwinn is gem of a bike!

torquecurve, I know that most people would disagree with me but I don't show any pity to those killed in overspeeding even if it was a passenger instead of the driver. Think about it. If you had let him be go away with his ego, he would have killed someone else with his overspeeding and ego. Let the overspeeding guy or someone related to him die rather than an innocent homeless person who was sleeping on footpath. Serves him/his passenger right! Even the passenger is to be blamed if the driver overspeeds in his/her presence.

Last edited by DevilsCry : 23rd March 2012 at 09:35. Reason: Grammar correction
DevilsCry is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2012, 09:45   #10736
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsCry View Post
Bravo akshay380! Your mindset saved you the most. Unlike most people, you wear safety gears even while riding the cycle. No one would have imagined that even carbon fibre sole shoes could have aided in safety. Not only you had presence of mind during emergency to pull away your legs but also to insist people to give more priority to taking you hospital instead of chasing the lorry driver. Your cycling thread is a source of inspiration to a lot of people including me. You're my role model. Instead of crying and lamenting (I know how severe it's to have both ankles broken), you're back to your normal hobbies like surfing T-BHP. All the best recovering from broken ankles. Very glad to see that you narrowly missed from losing your legs.
Thanks buddy. We use carbon soles because they have extra stiffness while pedaling and transfer energy more efficiently. The bike I was riding is Giant Defy. Its perfectly fine thankfully. I came home after casting both legs and finished my office work

Also agree about the Santro accident.

Last edited by GTO : 27th March 2012 at 13:21. Reason: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting an entire long message inconveniences our mobile users
Old 23rd March 2012, 12:48   #10737
BHPian

Saw this Accident near Hyderabad Central University Last week. This road is a pretty straight road and don't know how this happened
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-wp_000448.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-wp_000449.jpg  

Old 23rd March 2012, 14:06   #10738
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquecurve View Post
Now I am feeling guilty. Was I to blame for this accident somewhere? Should I have just let it be when he started driving aggressively? Would that have probably let him have an ego massage and made him happy to not do this again? Well, it is eating me up!
Unless you crashed him into the pole (which you did not), I think you are in no way to blame for his accident. It's not your fault that he could not keep his adrenaline in check. Maybe he got into a race with someone else. All this is assuming the Santro that crashed is the same one that you had a drag race with. Are you sure of that?

The only thing you could have done differently was to let him go when he cut you off. Getting into a street race is dangerous. I got into one in broad daylight on the NH. Luckily, no harm done. Only later did I realize how I was putting everyone on the road at risk.
StarrySky is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2012, 18:29   #10739
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay380 View Post
Nope. He vanished. Would not even know that someone actually got under his rear wheels. No L-OVRM. People around asked me if they should stop him but I said no cos I was in severe pain and putting myself together was my first priority.
You didnt ask anyone to try to stop him?
You gave him a chance to kill someone else again some other time.
Old 23rd March 2012, 18:33   #10740
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post
You didnt ask anyone to try to stop him?
You gave him a chance to kill someone else again some other time.
Do you really expect me to go after stopping that lorry and lodge an FIR when I was alone and not even able to get up? huh?

Most Viewed