Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2012, 23:00   #10846
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Agreed the accident was the result of carelessness on the part of the truck driver. But you also mention that your car's tires were worn. Road rage got the better of you when you thrashed him. What if the cleaner ended up with serious injuries resulting in disabilites or in the worst case scenario , death?

Accidents happen and we should thank our stars when at the end of it only machinery is damaged. By physically assaulting him you are as guilty of breaking the law as the cleaner for driving without license imo.
Hi Santosh,

Road rage got better of me? I had my own reasons for my act. I was in full senses and balanced mindset and hence I knew my limitations of not disabling him for life or worst case scenario.

Taking law into my hand? yes to certain extend, as our lawful dutiful cops just let the license-less cleaner free with 5000/- as bribe/gift/for performing gruesome act not amounting to death/etc. This incident would have killed any family if not me. Another harder impact would have burst the diesel tank and left us in flames.

Only if the driver would have not answered with a careless attitude "Accidents happen and people die, so what, NH4 is meant for many accidents, thts y they are making it 6 lane"

This was his response.
you would have wanted to teach him a lesson and enlighten him life is precious.

Sir, accidents can be avoided if there were sensible drivers on the road. In this case, I too am a victim of sitting in a friend's car which I agree should have not been on the road, but his action and reaction were not acceptable by me. I am sorry period.
kicksperliter is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th April 2012, 23:23   #10847
Senior - BHPian

Kicksperliter - Dude if you beat somebody up then, you are not in a balanced frame of mind. And if you still insist on being in a balanced state then you are a violent person by nature and very prone to road rage. Read my signature below this post and trust me I speak from experience. So next time please relax and instead of beating somebody up, insist on an FIR.
vikram_d is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th April 2012, 23:45   #10848
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 14th April 2012 at 14:13.
kicksperliter is offline   Received Infraction
Old 11th April 2012, 00:14   #10849
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksperliter View Post
NO he didn't had a license.

The reason I did beat him, is
1). for of his negligence driving without watching the road and coming without notice (indicators) onto the right most lane of the road.
2). He also didn't hear an continuous honking.
3). Another reason is for not stopping after we met with an accident.
Phew, still find it hard to agree to this beating up incident. Isn't that what is called taking the law into your own hand? Anyway, everyone has rights to their opinions, just my two cents.
Old 11th April 2012, 07:09   #10850
BHPian

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000386302518
This kid died in an accident yday at Shiroda Goa. Crashed into a Maruti Omni, head hit the bridge wall and died on spot. RIP though looking at his albums, I wonder if rash riding was cause of this accident.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/12617225.cms

Last edited by akshay380 : 11th April 2012 at 07:12.
Old 11th April 2012, 08:33   #10851
Senior - BHPian

I am back in Bangalore. Yesterday, I pleaded guilty for causing the accident, and accepted what was not my fault. Since my wedding is in 2 weeks, it is a good learning to accept a fault that's not mine. But in marriage, at least I would have no hatred towards the other person :-D

I had to pay a fine of Rs 800. The lawyer said that's relatively less, because the same judge usually imposes fines ranging from 1500 to 2500 Rs. Even the clerk of the court said the same and stood there with the hope of getting a part of the money I had saved. My lawyer then told him that he'd meet him later for settlement.

Apparently, bribing is required at every step, if the file has to move. None of the government employees have any deadline on completing a file within a certain time. We, common men, can argue and fight if such a deadline existed. However, they know our weakness (we cannot keep travelling 400 km every week), and they encash on that.

Here are the photos. My Palio had the following damage, which amounted to almost 58000 Rs bill:
1. damaged headlight: replaced
2. damaged foglamp: replaced
3. damaged fender: replaced
4. damaged bumper: replaced (apparently some hooks that can't be seen from outside had broken off)
5. damaged bonnet cover: repaired and repainted.
6. damaged door: repaired
7. broken wheelcap: still haven't found time to go to KHT Motors to collect it.
8. damaged rim: replaced
9. punctured tubeless tyre: no damage

Luckily, there was no damage to the moving parts, and we managed to drive it to Bangalore.
Since we did not want to drive without a spare tyre, we got the tyre fixed to a new rim and drove with that.
Since the accident occured on a Sunday, we had to stay in Davanagere (in a friend's house) and get the car released on Monday. Even on Monday, the police constable told us to come on Wednesday (since Tuesday was Mahalaya Amavasya and a holiday), as if he was going to give me more leaves.

Needless to say, he was expecting a bribe.
I had to pay a total of 7000 Rs. Since my friend Davanagere did all the "under the table" deals, I do not know which government officer asked how much.

Corruption is so deeprooted that no Lokpal or Lokayukta can do much here! The laws have to change.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-2.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-3.jpg
------------
Quote:
While we were almost approaching Davanagere which was hardly 8kms, there were many lined up trucks on the left most side of the road.
We were travelling at a constant speed of 100km/hr, when all of a sudden a truck just took us all by surprise by moving to the right lane of the road...the next I hear is screeching sound of the tyres for almost 100mtrs and next thing we banged into the diesel tank of the truck...

Seems like your accident occured not far from mine. That stretch has become really dangerous. I was returning by bus yesterday, and saw buses and trucks parked on the side and at times, even in the left lane. And many truckers were driving in the right lane. You have to be too careful on that stretch. Morever, NHAI is doing some work on certain stretches and the vehicles are deviated to service lanes.

I have learnt my lesson. I will not exceed 80 kmph if the road is empty. If there are trucks around, I will not exceed 60 kmph :-D

PS: I think a bribe/fine of 5000 Rs itself would have taught the cleaner a lesson since their income is not much.

Last edited by rohanjf : 11th April 2012 at 08:57.
Old 11th April 2012, 10:25   #10852
Senior - BHPian

Five killed, one hurt as truck rams car - Times Of India

Source: www.******************.com
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-d80855large.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-tata-aria.jpg  

Old 11th April 2012, 10:39   #10853
BHPian

That is a horrible accident!!

Looks like a Tata Indica from the rear. What exactly happend here? The truck has split the car like "cutting a fruit with a knife" !
Old 11th April 2012, 10:43   #10854
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsDoggie View Post

Looks like a Tata Indica from the rear. What exactly happend here? The truck has split the car like "cutting a fruit with a knife" !

That's I think a Tata Aria. Horrendous! What a sudden, sad death for those poor souls!

Anybody has any updates on how this happened?

EDIT: Just saw the TOI link.

Last edited by Added_flavor : 11th April 2012 at 10:49.
Old 11th April 2012, 10:50   #10855
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsDoggie View Post

Its a TATA Aria.

Or maybe you meant, the Aria looks like an Indica now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Added_flavor View Post
That's I think a Tata Aria. Horrendous! What a sudden, sad death for those poor souls!

Anybody has any updates on how this happened?
As mentioned in the link -

Quote:
It has been learnt that the six persons were heading towards Nagpur from Ner Parsopant by a car. When the car came near Loha farmhouse near Talegaon Dashasar, a speeding truck carrying iron rods coming from the opposite direction rammed the car in which five persons died on the spot while Lukkad, who sustained injuries in the accident, was rushed to Yavatmal for treatment. The car was completely crushed in the accident and the police had to take the help of a crane to extricate the bodies. The truck driver has been absconding since the incident. Police are investigating the matter.
Old 11th April 2012, 11:41   #10856
BHPian

Quote:
Folks,

I was travelling to Dandeli from Bangalore and took NH4 route via Hubli. I was travelling along with my family and my friends family. We decided to take my Friends Verna upon his insistence, though I was against it due to his tyres being worn out.
We did switch driving every 150kms to avoid either of us being fatigue at the end of the journey.
While we were almost approaching Davanagere which was hardly 8kms, there were many lined up trucks on the left most side of the road.
We were travelling at a constant speed of 100km/hr, when all of a sudden a truck just took us all by surprise by moving to the right lane of the road...the next I hear is screeching sound of the tyres for almost 100mtrs and next thing we banged into the diesel tank of the truck.

Luckily, none was hurt, though for a split second I thought I am knocking at the doorstep of hell/heaven.

Next thing I see the truck just kept moving and he parked to the road side and I went in search of the driver and to my knowledge the one who was driving the truck at that time was a CLEANER.

I literally bashed him so badly, that he was taken off by the locals...requesting me to spare him...

kicksperliter,

When you say the locals had to take him away in order to save him (the wrong-doer let's assume for now) from you, I assume the beating was quite bad.

- Did it even strike you what would have happened if the driver had hit you back? Or did you know the driver so well that you knew he won't do that?

- What if he gathered a few more drivers and cleaners to take your family to task?

- You were travelling with families. Did you want the incident to turn ugly and then so bad that it can cause material and physical harm to you/families?

- Let's come to the law. The driver can file a case against you for physical assault. What would have just been an "accident" can now turn "criminal". Secondly, what do you think the cops and lawyers will say? A vehicle coming from behind (even though not literally) is the one who should be watching out. A clever lawyer will even examine your tyres and say you were driving a vehicle not fit for purpose.

Again, I've been there, done that. I urge you to listen to me and other bhpians who spoke similarly. In the end, what has this incident got you? Satisfaction of beating someone up? If that's what you got, then I'm afraid no one can say anything beyond that.

From what I know, the damage that you have reported doesn't warrant someone being beaten up. What's warranted is a case against the driver for negligent driving (mind you, this might turn against you).

We are no one to teach other fellow drivers a lesson in driving. Let them learn or let the police do that.

EDIT: just a comment. If there was a road with trucks lined up for lengths, I'd never go at 100kmph.

Last edited by ssh1979 : 11th April 2012 at 11:43.
ssh1979 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th April 2012, 11:52   #10857
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The truck drivers and their associates wanted to lodge a complaint against us for beating the cleaner.
Hello Kicksperliter,

I understand you were in a very annoyed state & at the spur of the moment you bashed the cleaner.

But imagine a situation where several Truck Drivers & cleaners would have gathered there, over-powered you & started beating you? You could have been seriously injured. They have nothing to loose & once in a angry mood they will not think twice before hitting you badly.

Thus beating someone in situations like this (specially in unknown places) in not a good idea. It could have landed you in serious trouble. Also one thing you should be thankful that no passenger was injured.

I pray that you never face such accident again & God forbid, if it ever happens, you keep your cool at that moment.

Thanks,
Jignesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2012, 13:25   #10858
Senior - BHPian

The Aria crash was surely horrible and deadly, the main reason behind the crash was daring overtaking maneuver. While overtaking a trailer, Aria hit some thing and flipped then came under the speeding trailer. Late Driver of Aria was at fault.
Old 11th April 2012, 17:45   #10859
BHPian

A couple of thoughts on Kicksperliter's accident -

While driving on a highway, its important to have a good sense of potential hazards directly ahead of you for a certain distance ( depending on your speed ). I think one develops this skill over a period of time as one puts in more miles under his belt. One gets a sense of the safe speed to drive . As long as you are driving below that speed you would believe that you have enough time and distance to react to surprises.

This is why we tend to slow down instinctively when you pass stretches of road with trucks parked on one side for example - or when you are overtaking slow moving trucks .

In my view from whatever I could read from the post relating to the accident, driving at 100kph past a row of parked trucks and that too with a car with no ABS and tyres not in the best of condition means that you have too many factors not in your control . So when the truck changed lanes suddenly, the accident had to happen.

There have been many instances earlier when I passed a certain spot on the road and wondered whether I had taken too much of a risk by going too fast. Driving fast and risky driving are two different things IMHO.

As someone told me during my early days of driving - "when you are passing a cyclist, expect him to veer to your lane suddenly. When you are passing a pedestrian or an animal, expect them to change directions suddenly. When you are passing a car parked by the road, expect it to move to your lane" . If you build this into your subconscious mind, one would automatically reduce the speed at the right time.

I had a near-accident a few months back when I was trying to read a board at 100 kph and suddenly found that the car ahead had slowed down to negotiate a speedbreaker - somewhere near Harihar if I remember correctly. A moment's lapse of attention is all that is required sometimes...
Bigzero is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th April 2012, 17:59   #10860
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigzero
As someone told me during my early days of driving - "when you are passing a cyclist, expect him to veer to your lane suddenly. When you are passing a pedestrian or an animal, expect them to change directions suddenly. When you are passing a car parked by the road, expect it to move to your lane" . If you build this into your subconscious mind, one would automatically reduce the speed at the right time.
My dad keeps telling me these when we drive together. Also stuff like liberal use of horn, and maintaining sane speeds on unfamiliar roads, however good the road may be. Sometimes it annoys me, but I know that these are some very useful tips.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks