Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2012, 19:55   #11011
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

^ isn't this the same ANHC accident posted a few pages back?

really scary to see the state of the car
Old 5th May 2012, 22:01   #11012
Senior - BHPian

Damn!! this is a horrible accident. Seems like the Honda city rammed the bus at very high speeds. The air-bags have been deployed but still i dont think they might have helped much looking at the condition of the ripped car.

The sheet metal has been converted to paper foil. All the pillars dismissed. This is HONDA !!
Old 5th May 2012, 22:22   #11013
BHPian

Anybody know anything about this one?
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-405155_371236012913207_100000804353280_897567_1729778929_n.jpg  

Last edited by GTO : 7th May 2012 at 10:51. Reason: Typo
Old 6th May 2012, 11:05   #11014
BHPian

A container truck has turned turtle on ORR in front of RMZ Ecospace and completely blocked the lane that goes towards Silk Board. 2 cranes have been deployed by the traffic cops to clear, but it seems the cranes are not able to pull it. Being a Sunday morning, thankfully there is no traffic jam yet.
Old 6th May 2012, 19:42   #11015
BHPian

http://ibnlive.in.com/news/gurgaon-2.../255111-3.html

A pregnant woman was among two persons killed when a speeding BMW ploughed into their car at a traffic intersection near the Iffco Chowk Metro station around noon. Four others were injured.

The BMW rammed the car at nearly 150kmph. The Indigo cartwheeled several times before coming to rest belly up near a Metro pillar. Police are yet to arrest the driver of the BMW as they are still to ascertain who was behind the wheel - its owner or somebody else.

The driver of the Indigo, coming from Leisure Valley Park, was attempting to turn right at the road intersection near the Iffco Chowk Metro station to go towards Huda City Centre. But before it could do so, the BMW, coming from Huda City Centre and bearing a VIP registration number, rammed into its right, sending it cart-wheeling.

Daxshesh Jaiswal, 21 year old Delhi University BCom student, was travelling in the BMW and is not in a condition to speak to the police.

The BMW belongs to Devendra Sherawat, a property dealer of Sector 14. Police are yet to arrest the driver of the BMW as they are still to ascertain who was behind the wheel - its owner or somebody else.

Last edited by aerohit : 6th May 2012 at 20:07.
Old 6th May 2012, 20:06   #11016
Senior - BHPian

If the BMW was indeed speeding, then this is murder not an accident. The only way these rash driving can be curbed is harsher punishment! Hang them I say!!
IronH4WK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2012, 20:13   #11017
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (9)

^^The owner will now find a poor villager to claim he was behind the wheel and endure a jail term, for a few lac rupees ...

--R
Old 6th May 2012, 20:44   #11018
Senior - BHPian

Saw a Dzire (old model) up on the divider at Angamaly today. The car had also hit the lamp post on the divider. Looking at the car, the occupants are likely to have survived with minor injuries if they were wearing seat belts. The car probably has sever under body damage and may not survive.
Old 6th May 2012, 21:01   #11019
Distinguished - BHPian

No excuses for the BMW driver's speed, and heaps of sorrow for the death of two people and an unborn child --- but that Indica was crossing a main road, and it would appear not to have stopped and given way to traffic on the main road.

Just that a broadside at 40kph would have been unlikely to kill.

Quote:
The BMW belongs to Devendra Sherawat, a property dealer of Sector 14. Police are yet to arrest the driver of the BMW as they are still to ascertain who was behind the wheel - its owner or somebody else.
Isn't there something in Indian law about the registered owner being ultimately responsible? If I didn't dream this up, perhaps it is a law that should be used more often
Old 6th May 2012, 21:16   #11020
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
If the BMW was indeed speeding, then this is murder not an accident. The only way these rash driving can be curbed is harsher punishment! Hang them I say!!
Hey come on man this is india, they cannot do that.

Insted they will ban the sale of bmws and other high end cars as they are tools for causing deaths ?

Supreme court to do something on these lines, like they banned tints.

May their souls rest in peace. Very unfortunate incident.
Old 6th May 2012, 22:47   #11021
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
No excuses for the BMW driver's speed, and heaps of sorrow for the death of two people and an unborn child --- but that Indica was crossing a main road, and it would appear not to have stopped and given way to traffic on the main road.

Just that a broadside at 40kph would have been unlikely to kill.

Isn't there something in Indian law about the registered owner being ultimately responsible? If I didn't dream this up, perhaps it is a law that should be used more often
Agree on the item said in bold.

Iron Hawk, relax man. Let us ascertain the facts first.

There are several things here:
a. Right of way - I agree with Thad - the indigo driver was extremely stupid to have driven like that, esp with a pregnant lady on board. That said - this kinda stupidity is common.
b. I honestly think there is no way the Beemer was doing anywhere over 100. I drive that way everyday now for almost 4 years, and yet to see a single car there doing 100+, forget 150 - even at 2/3am at night. Though I think the major share of stupidity in this accident would belong to the BMW guy - there are always vehicles taking a U turn or driving the wrong way at the CNG station 100m before this intersection. Anything over 50-60 on that stretch is asking for serious trouble.

The traffic police must also own their responsibility for having non-functional traffic lights at that particular point.
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2012, 00:23   #11022
Senior - BHPian

Today I witnessed an accident near my home, approx. 1.25 kms from my place. It involved a Zen Estilo and a bike. The bike was T-boned by Zen Estilo. I was behind Zen Estilo, around 60 feet behind Zen Estilo on my bike at around 2:15 PM.

There were two people on bike, a couple, wife riding pillion and husband was driving the bike.
Impact happened in front of my eyes and the bike rider was thrown in air, landed approximately 10-15 feet away from accident spot. By this time the wife of the rider was on her feet and car driver was also out of the car. Along with me, another passer by on bike had stopped. I stopped my bike near the bike rider. He had one eye open, one eye closed. He had not moved since impact. The other biker along with me screamed for help. There was blood coming out from the bike riders face.

We loaded the bike rider into the Zen Estilo and he sped off to Sterling hospital. The other biker who had stopped gave loud and clear instructions that take the patient to sterling hospital only as thats the only hospital who would be in a position to handle emergency on Sunday.

Now the real part. The Zen Estilo driver is in the same company as my dad. The RO water system at our place is serviced by him. I was too shocked to realize this. I dont know what to do in case things do get serious. I felt good that I helped put that rider in car and also noted down the car's number. The shop nearby is owned by a person I know so I safely asked him to have the bike parked at his location.

As soon as I reached home, I informed dad regarding this, dad too felt bad.

This junction is near Suresh Bhagiya House ( for those who are in baroda ) and daily one accident is there. This junction needs speedbreakers on all four roads and a small traffic island.

Overall, its just too unsafe to ride a two wheeler in India now. No sense of law and order followed by anyone. People in cars coming on wrong side as if its their right. Dont know when we will have safer roads.

Attaching the image to show situation of accident.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-accident-seen.png  

aaggoswami is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2012, 07:44   #11023
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 220kmph View Post
Anybody konow anything about this one?
I read this was just an 8 days old XUV driven by a a driver (who possibly was drunk) at 100+ when he crashed.
Old 7th May 2012, 09:14   #11024
Senior - BHPian

I have no idea, why media is making a fuss when a BMW or any luxury car crashes. Then they come up with some random figures regarding the speed these car were doing before the crash. I think they rely on the accurate prediction made by the by standers.

Media - "Where you present at the time of accident?"
BS - "Yes."
Media- "Do you know, what speed it was doing?"

If it was a normal car. 70 - 80 Kmph.
A modded car with free flow exhaust. 100 Kmph.
BMW 120 Kmph.
Lamborghini 150 Kmph.

We have to get rid of the prejudice that, its always faster or luxury car is the culprit of an accident. If one drive above the speed limit and cause an accident, be it a family hatch back or luxury sedan you are wrong.

Some politician will be suggesting to ban these cars to make the road a safer place, then why don't we ban all vehicles, then there will be no accidents.

Quote:
This junction is near Suresh Bhagiya House ( for those who are in baroda ) and daily one accident is there. This junction needs speedbreakers on all four roads and a small traffic island.
If government wanted safer roads, then do necessary the steps to avoid accidents happening in umpteen number of traffic junction, just like the one mentioned above.

Even if the government do take the necessary steps, we motorist has to respect the law. I'm sick of being honked by fellow motorist, just because I stopped for a red light early morning. Reason being, there are no vehicles to yield for. For us traffic signals are there just for an indication, we are smart enough to find our way through the junction.

Last edited by ecenandu : 7th May 2012 at 09:15.
Old 7th May 2012, 10:26   #11025
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
No need to worry, they cannot claim compensation from you. Your insurance will take care of it. That is what you pay your premium for.
You will need to pay the fine only if the court finds you guilty of causing the accident.

If you decide not to pay the fine, then you need to fight the case by hiring a lawyer and keep travelling to the court where the case is assigned. It is a lengthy process and may even cost you more than the fine amount. Please do check this out before paying the fine.
It is better off to pay the fine and let the other person claim compensation from your insurance company. This will usually work out cheaper compared to the other option.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
Guys, I need some advice to deal with the court case of an accident I was involved in.

In September 2011, I was cruising on NH4 near Ranebennur, and not too much above speed limit (may be 80-90 kmph). At a point, a bus was stopped in the left lane. As I was crossing the bus, I suddenly spotted an Indica emerging at right angles to the bus (from a village road)). It was trying to take a right turn through a break in the divider. He stopped at right angles to my lane, possibly because of the traffic on the opposite side. I tried my best to swerve left, but ended up hitting Indica's right rear fender. My car took most damage.

They demanded compensation, but I proceeded with police case as advised by a local friend with some contacts. So the Indica people also filed a counter case. But the police said it was my fault, since I had crashed. I asked them, whose fault is it when you see some chopping vegetables and put your finger under the knife. No answer. Needless to say, the cops were on Indica's side.

Now my friend gave a call and told me to come tomorrow to sign some papers and pay a fine.

My doubt is, does it mean that I am accepting my guilt? I don't want to do that. Do I have any other option?
Slightly Off-topic, but I had a question here. The insurance guys won't pay for the damages to the other person's car. They'll only pay in case of injuries or property damage. My question here is

Is the guy claiming compensation for repair of his car? or some other compensation?
If there is a police complaint and a court case, how will the insurance company get involved?

Most Viewed