Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2012, 08:16   #11071
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by recshenoy View Post
Dzire looks totally smashed . But how can hitting a truck can make it topple. I see that truck has toppled! The car was over speeding so much??

Surprising part is "owner escaped with few bruises and nothing else". He is really lucky i must say if i go by the looks of the car.

PS: yeah car should be very new, since my March end registration vehicle was KA-19-MC-37XX series. This car should be like pretty new since it is KA-19-MC-4xxx series.
Like most morons in Mangalore , this guy has also gone a fitted a wide aftermarket rim to his skinny tires .No one thinks about changing tires. So expect scary braking to complement the rash driving .

The poor trucker must have parked besides the road . The impact of this crash must have caused his load to shift and hence the truck might have fallen to its side .

I am impressed with the build of the car !
Old 10th May 2012, 08:43   #11072
BHPian

There is a Huge Traffic Jam caused by an accident Behind Graphite India - Whitefield. 100% fault of the Tanker Driver.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-10052012322.jpg  

Old 10th May 2012, 12:10   #11073
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alstonlobo View Post
A miracalous escape for whoever was inside this car

Attachment 925293

Pics and news credit: daijiworld

Mangalore: Car Badly Damaged in Collision with Truck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunilrj View Post
Sunil Haleangady
Daijiworld Media Network - Mangalore (RD)

Mangalore, May 9:
A long haul truck loaded with a few automobiles and a car collided at Pavanje, near Haleangady, on Tuesday May 8.

it appears that the truck was Stationary and the car rammed into it!
I know I may be flamed by Maruti loyalists and owners for this -

But this scary pic makes me believe that Maruti is indeed not that well built. I know about crumple zones and have studied a lot about it, but this is not how I expect a car to crumple. A good car with crumple zones keeps the cabin intact. This Dzire is mangled beyond recognition. In the case, the occupants were lucky but the question is - does it really make sense to build cars so fragile, in interests of cost, fuel efficiency and performance.

I have seen such badly mangled cars only with Maruti and Toyota. I remember seeing Swifts and Innovas in such state. Its not that other cars dont have high speed collisions... they just come out better.

Last edited by raj_5004 : 10th May 2012 at 12:13.
Old 10th May 2012, 12:12   #11074
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Look at pics at post # 11094. I don't think anyone might have survived that Dzire crash.
Quote:
Originally Posted by damanshaheed View Post
Regarding the dezire accident, the guy survived n that too with minor bruises, I have serious doubt, but if he did, .....damn lucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by recshenoy View Post
Surprising part is "owner escaped with few bruises and nothing else". He is really lucky i must say if i go by the looks of the car.
From the pics, I think the car has taken a hit to the LHS and the entire car seems to be ripped up on the LHS. However, it looks as if the RHS, especially near the driver's seat hasn't taken such a big hit (first pic posted by Sunilrj). So I think it's possible that the driver survived, but no doubts that he is very very lucky.

Last edited by StarrySky : 10th May 2012 at 12:13.
Old 10th May 2012, 12:20   #11075
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
I know I will be flamed by Maruti loyalists and owners for this -

But this scary pic makes me believe that Maruti is indeed not that well built. I know about crumple zones and have studied a lot about it, but this is not how I expect a car to crumple. A good car with crumple zones keeps the cabin intact. This Dzire is mangled beyond recognition. In the case, the occupants were lucky but the question is - does it really make sense to build cars so fragile, in interests of cost, fuel efficiency and performance.

I have seen such badly mangled cars only with Maruti and Toyota. I remember seeing Swifts and Innovas in such state. Its not that other cars dont have high speed collisions... they just come out better.
In case of a head on collision with truck, no car is safe. Reason: The ground clearance of the trucks in India is so high that the bumper strikes directly on the A pillar, which is not designed to take an impact of this intensity. Any car from Nano to a S-class(refer the earlier incident from this thread) will collapse like this. The crumple zones are designed to absorb the impact where the vehicle hits directly on a lower surface, probably hitting a wall might be safer than hitting a Indian truck. The DZire is based on new Swift, which was rated 5 stars by Euro NCAP, it is probably as safe as your Punto. More metal does not necessarily mean a safer car.

I am repeating the statement here again, though i have posted this several times earlier too.

My Earlier statements:
Quote:
This is not Merc's design fault, look how truck's bumpers have hit directly on A pillars. Cars are not designed to absorb head on impact directly on Pillars, in this case i would blame the truck manufacturer for the bad design and our country's lack of safety laws. Ever saw a truck with bumper placed so high in any developed country. AFAIK it is now mandatory to have low placed bumpers in newer truck.

Any other car no matter how safe it is will deform similarly. AFAIK the C Class is amongst the safest cars around with 5 Star Euro NCAP rating.
Quote:
Modern cars are designed to absorb impact by redirecting the energy to save the passengers. But they are not designed to absorb all the force of impact on A Pillars. No car in the world will survive this kind of direct impact on A pillars, who do we blame here- The bad design of the trucks and lack of any safety norms.

I feel even if the Airbag would come out it would not have helped much, look at the intrusion in the cabin.
You might also like to go through this post and all the related discussion here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ml#post2607301

Last edited by .anshuman : 10th May 2012 at 12:27.
Old 10th May 2012, 12:32   #11076
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
In case of a head on collision with truck, no car is safe. Reason:

You might also like to go through this post and all the related discussion here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ml#post2607301
I know anshuman. I am not the one saying "majboot patra" means safety.

But apart from this incident, I have seen several other accidents where I have noticed what I mentioned above. My comment is not specific to just these pics.
Old 10th May 2012, 14:14   #11077
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
If the BMW was indeed speeding, then this is murder not an accident. The only way these rash driving can be curbed is harsher punishment! Hang them I say!!
I am surprised to hear that kind of rash remark from you buddy. it's a news paper report from some sod who thinks that because it's a BMW - the owner has to be blamed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
^^The owner will now find a poor villager to claim he was behind the wheel and endure a jail term, for a few lac rupees ...

--R
and will probably save the villager's entire family from dying of hunger. think about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
No excuses for the BMW driver's speed, and heaps of sorrow for the death of two people and an unborn child --- but that Indica was crossing a main road, and it would appear not to have stopped and given way to traffic on the main road.

Just that a broadside at 40kph would have been unlikely to kill.

Isn't there something in Indian law about the registered owner being ultimately responsible? If I didn't dream this up, perhaps it is a law that should be used more often
exactly my point brother. what actually happens and how it is portrayed nowadays is purely proportionate to the glamour attached to the accident. the reporters do not care about anything nowadays other than "sansanati" / sizzling news.

recently an acquaintance passed away while he was on his bike. suddenly a 12 lac rupee yamaha became a 17 lacs + bike. a normal riding guy became a guy doing stunts on public roads. a local helmet became an expensive 5000 Rs. helmet which couldn't save his life and what not!!

onething i have learnt from his demise is that the reporters would try to make the news as sizzling as possible. if the guy with a passion is involved with an accident with someone who might have lesser amount in his bank balance - automatically it becomes a case of how disrespectful are the rich towards other's (poor man's) life.
no body wants to see how a poor man's lack of respect towards his or other's safety is the cause of the accident.

i am sure most of us here must have seen some village bloke coming head on towards us from wrong side just because he doesn't want to travel that extra 10 feet to take a U-turn. it's always just not the case of a fancy car driver being irresponsible - it can also be a case of an ignorant fool thinking that he owns the world and everyone should just stop on their tracks because he is on the road.

at an intersection while taking a right turn i feel that the indigo should have double checked for any vehicle before going ahead. there is no doubt that the BMW was in a good speed - but to blame him for the accident or worse still call it a MURDER is just we being irrational. and why are we being irrational?? only because there was a BMW involved. had it been a maruti 800 - automatically the focus would have shifted to the indigo as being careless before taking a turn.

again i would like to say that there is absolutely no way i am justifying the bmw driver's high speed - but this accident doesn't seem to be his fault alone.
samyakmodi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th May 2012, 14:29   #11078
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samyakmodi View Post
I am surprised to hear that kind of rash remark from you buddy. it's a news paper report from some sod who thinks that because it's a BMW - the owner has to be blamed
please re-read my post.

i don't care if it was a BMW or M800 (as we've seen in a incident in Bangalore), if one drives rash and ends someone else life just for the sake of cheap speed thrills, well that person deserves nothing but death penalty.

just two days back i almost featured in this thread because some jack-mule thought just because he owns a Audi he owns the road and its absolutely alright to put my wife's and my life at risk and drives head-on towards us (he seemed drunk). if i hadn't swerved in time and come to a halt you folks would be posting RIP messages here.

all is well until it happens to you. think about it!
IronH4WK is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th May 2012, 14:42   #11079
Senior - BHPian

EuroNCAP's ratings are for ideal conditions, and their test speeds are too low for Indian driving conditions . The 5 star rating is applicable to those models sold in Europe, loaded with safety features. How many ZXi/ZDi or Emotion trims do we see on the road?

Best way to test: take an LXi and an Active at 80 kmph and crash into a concrete wall. That's the closest test I can think of, to emulate Indian driving conditions. Whichever car fares better, is a better car
rohanjf is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2012, 15:05   #11080
BHPian

I am kind of confused. driving fast and driving rash are 2 totally different things as far as i think.
i never said that there is never a fool sitting behind an expensive car. all i said was just because it's an expensive car doesn't mean that the driver has no regards for his or other's safety.

in the particular accident the bmw was indeed speeding. but then it also seems that the indigo tried to cut in front of him thinking that he can make it through. as far as i understand in any T junction like this one - the right of way is always to the vehicles travelling straight. the traffic which has to join the straight roads needs to give way to the vehicles travelling on it before joining it.

sorry to hear about your incidence bro. hope all's well now.
samyakmodi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2012, 16:26   #11081
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
EuroNCAP's ratings are for ideal conditions, and their test speeds are too low for Indian driving conditions. The 5 star rating is applicable to those models sold in Europe, loaded with safety features. How many ZXi/ZDi or Emotion trims do we see on the road?
Correction! EuroNCAP ratings are done for a region where the rules and regulations have value and people abide by law. Unlike in India, there are regulations for the height of trucks, buses etc from the ground level so that in the event of a head on collision, the safety features of the car is put to use. The crumple zones and airbags act effectively, but in India, 99.9% of time, a head-on collision will result in the car going under the bigger vehicle. There is a rule in place in India now, but more than 90% of the heavy vehicles lose the under-run protections within a year of rolling out of the dealership and nobody bothers. Instead of acting on safety issues like this, we have the descendents of Mohammed-bin Tuglak who are more interested in banning sun-films to eliminate crime.
So, safety comes from effective law enforcement and not only from design. And, speeds in EU are much more than in India, but due to the discipline, better implementation of law, better infrastructure etc, the accident rate and associated deaths are less.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
Best way to test: take an LXi and an Active at 80 kmph and crash into a concrete wall. That's the closest test I can think of, to emulate Indian driving conditions. Whichever car fares better, is a better car
Actually, in a head on-collision with a concrete wall, there is more chance of survival, due to the factors mentioned above. The car will perform much better than when it goes under a truck, shearing off the roof.
Old 10th May 2012, 16:31   #11082
Distinguished - BHPian

Whilst I don't take too much interest in UK news, I still pay lipservice to my origins by checking the BBC news site every day.

You know: people still kill themselves there by driving their europe-tested cars in europe conditions badly. They drive into each other; they drive into trees...

There is no black and white about this, except that the less we expect our cars will protect us from accidents, the safer our driving will be. Guys: adjust the expectations!

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 10th May 2012 at 16:32.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th May 2012, 16:38   #11083
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
^^The owner will now find a poor villager to claim he was behind the wheel and endure a jail term, for a few lac rupees ...

--R
Quote:
Originally Posted by samyakmodi View Post
and will probably save the villager's entire family from dying of hunger. think about it.
@samyakmodi : Please o please, do not make such statements.

By saying what you have, you are actually encouraging and endorsing such behaviour.

Extremely unfortunate incident; may the departed souls RIP. But 150+ on that stretch at noon seems slightly impossible.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2012, 16:39   #11084
BHPian

AS far as i know,( correct me if i am wrong) A vehicle moving onto a main road from a side road Must give way to traffic moving on the main road. Those vehicles have right of way.

But the whole concept of right of way is debatable in our country. live's were lost and Thats a sad thing, irrespective of who's fault it was. The Media in our country Alongwith the police force really needs to grow up and not jump to conclusions based on cost of vehicle and other trivial matters.

We are probably the only people in the world who can guage a cars speed just by looking at it. ( my alto goes about 200 according to the people in my colony, just case it has a loud exhaust) Dont need any devices or calculations for it.

Mods: PLease delete this post if found to be out of context for this thread.

End Rant!
Old 10th May 2012, 18:40   #11085
BHPian

Assuming the Dezire hit the marked portion of the truck, the results are expected. Even at 40kmph it would be like a knife going through butter. I do not think any car would have fared better. And most probably the incident happened at night. No reflectors and no tail lamp. I pray not to encounter these killers on the roads. These kind of trucks should be banned from the roads.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-car_0905127.jpg

^^^And, I wonder why we keep debating on Euro NCAP ratings in Indian scenario like this.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks