Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2012, 22:28   #11161
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

A terrible accident took place in our town last evening, on the hills. A little girl & three adults, all of them on the front seats, died.

This is what happens if you don't analyze your speed for the upcoming turn. This Sumo overshot the turn and nose dived.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-imag0020-medium.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 26th May 2012 at 12:25. Reason: Correcting typo.
Old 23rd May 2012, 22:41   #11162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
Has the Innova been cut open to retrieve the injured ? Or is the state after the impact & rollovers ? Its shocking to see only bits and pieces left ?!

If its because of the impact, i guess the speed at which they must have been travelling to be way above 100km/hr.
Old 24th May 2012, 11:49   #11163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmaljusdoit View Post
Has the Innova been cut open to retrieve the injured ? Or is the state after the impact & rollovers ? Its shocking to see only bits and pieces left ?!

If its because of the impact, i guess the speed at which they must have been travelling to be way above 100km/hr.
Only the roof has been cut open to retrieve the bodies.

And even this pic re-ascertains the post I made a few pages back... that Toyotas and Marutis are the worst when it comes to accidents. Even this car is mangled badly (ignoring the roof).

No matter what the Euro NCAP ratings say, such pics dont give me any confidence in these two brands.
Old 24th May 2012, 12:25   #11164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Only the roof has been cut open to retrieve the bodies.

And even this pic re-ascertains the post I made a few pages back... that Toyotas and Marutis are the worst when it comes to accidents. Even this car is mangled badly (ignoring the roof).

No matter what the Euro NCAP ratings say, such pics dont give me any confidence in these two brands.
I dont really agree with toyota being worst in case of accidents. See in the pics below my Innova saved all the occupants that too without any injury. and held well together. The car jumped the median, got hit by on coming wagon r, rolled over, fell in a pit at least 15 feel deep.

The NCAP rating are under ideal conditions and far from reality especially for India. It all depends on how and where and by what the car is hit. Even S class, BMW's, Lamborghinis have been known to kill its occupants.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-p1020442.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-p1020463.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-p1020465.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-p1020466.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-p1020462.jpg  

Old 24th May 2012, 12:39   #11165
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazmaan View Post
I dont really agree with toyota being worst in case of accidents. See in the pics below my Innova saved all the occupants that too without any injury. and held well together. The car jumped the median, got hit by on coming wagon r, rolled over, fell in a pit at least 15 feel deep.
Dont you think momentum plays a huge role here?

In this case, the Innova was hit by a feather light and small Wagon R. Hence the Maruti bore the brunt. What if it was hit by a Fortuner, Scorpio, Safari and the likes?
Old 24th May 2012, 13:12   #11166
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Dont you think momentum plays a huge role here?

In this case, the Innova was hit by a feather light and small Wagon R. Hence the Maruti bore the brunt. What if it was hit by a Fortuner, Scorpio, Safari and the likes?
That is what exactly my point is. Over speed in any car and depending on what you hit and how you hit no car can be judged on safety. The fact is the number on Innovas that are used on highways are in majority compared to other cars. Most of these being cabs are driven as if there is no tomorrow. The high speeds are not suitable for Indian highways where everything is unpredictable including the skills of the driver.

So my point is you cannot judge if the car or company is safe or no depending on accident pics.
Old 24th May 2012, 13:30   #11167
Senior - BHPian

Ghastly accident On Outer Ring Road in Bangalore

A ghastly accident took place early in the morning around 6.30 today on Outer ring road near Agara - in front of Iblur Army campus gate to be precise - wherein the Honda City driven by student of New Horizon engineering college lost control while trying to avoid a pedestrain and hit the road side tree sidewards. The person seated on the rear seat on the left hand side died when a sharp part of the mangled car pierced through the head

One student died on the spot and three others injured. The probabale reason could be overspeeding as they must have come down the Agara flyover in great speed and continued. Not sure whether anyone was wearing seat belts. Here is a picture of mangled car.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img00124201205240953-2.jpg  

Old 24th May 2012, 13:45   #11168
BHPian

Re: Ghastly accident On Outer Ring Road in Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji View Post
A ghastly accident took place early in the morning around 6.30 today on Outer ring road near Agara - in front of Iblur Army campus gate to be precise - wherein the Honda City driven by student of New Horizon engineering college lost control while trying to avoid a pedestrain and hit the road side tree sidewards. The person seated on the rear seat on the left hand side died when a sharp part of the mangled car pierced through the head

One student died on the spot and three others injured. The probabale reason could be overspeeding as they must have come down the Agara flyover in great speed and continued. Not sure whether anyone was wearing seat belts. Here is a picture of mangled car.
wooooh! talk about safety in Honda City, how can a part in the passenger cabin come out and pierce the passenger. No wonder Honda City is not sold in the Europe and US.....

Last edited by evilshantanu : 24th May 2012 at 13:47. Reason: typo
Old 24th May 2012, 13:47   #11169
BHPian

Cop who traced Rajiv Gandhi killer Sivarasan dies in road accident

BANGALORE: Doddaballapur police inspector KM Subramanya, 46, was killed after a speeding Canter lorry rammed his official vehicle near Dibba Cross, Rajanakunte, 5km from Bengaluru International Airport, on Wednesday evening. Subramanya was at the wheel.

Subramanya was among the police officers who had tracked down LTTE leader and Rajiv Gandhi killer Sivarasan to a house in Konanakunte , Bangalore, in 1991. Sivarasan was gunned down later in the ensuing encounter. Rajanakunte police said the accident occurred at 4pm when the Toyota Innova in which Subramanya was travelling collided with the lorry near Dibba Cross.

"Subramanya was sitting in the front seat and sustained serious injuries . It was the lorry driver's mistake. He fled leaving behind the vehicle," they added. Subramanya is survived by his wife, son and a daughter.

Source: Cop who traced Rajiv Gandhi killer Sivarasan dies in road accident - The Times of India
DevilsDoggie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2012, 15:42   #11170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilshantanu View Post
wooooh! talk about safety in Honda City, how can a part in the passenger cabin come out and pierce the passenger. No wonder Honda City is not sold in the Europe and US.....
Very Sad to know that one boy passed away.

When we were passing by that spot in the morning in our Office bus we saw the body of one boy just nest to the car with full Blood on the body. the 108 Ambulance just arrived and were trying to take him.
The tree to which this car had collided was very strong and had marks on it.
God knows where these college boys were going to or coming from.
Old 24th May 2012, 22:40   #11171
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji View Post
The probabale reason could be overspeeding as they must have come down the Agara flyover in great speed and continued. Not sure whether anyone was wearing seat belts. Here is a picture of mangled car.
This location is the fag end of , probably the longest signal free section on outer ring road (or even in bangalore?), and I guess the car was at high speed. Most cars speed here dangerously any time of the day. And early morning when you pass through the area, the dense trees suddenly make the visibility low and make it difficult to spot two wheelers let alone people crossing.
Sad. May his soul RIP.
Old 24th May 2012, 22:47   #11172
BHPian

Saw this near Ushodaya Enclave yesterday.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-image3823566333.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-image3463798269.jpg  

Old 25th May 2012, 03:19   #11173
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I really would like to see an end to the increasing number of comments like this. Toyotas are not safe; Hondas are not safe. The truth is cars are not safe and drivers are even less safe.

Sorry, nothing personal, not against you: it has been bugging me for a while. I hope you won't mind me picking your post to make this point.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 25th May 2012, 08:30   #11174
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I really would like to see an end to the increasing number of comments like this. Toyotas are not safe; Hondas are not safe. The truth is cars are not safe and drivers are even less safe.
Agreed, no point in picking on a Honda or a Toyota.
That said; cars are not safe, but a better engineered car (for safety) can reduce the impact of the driver errors/misjudgment to an extent. After all, safety features are there for a reason. I am sure you have considered those while deciding on your Polo.

Quote:
wooooh! talk about safety in Honda City, how can a part in the passenger cabin come out and pierce the passenger. No wonder Honda City is not sold in the Europe and US...
Not really. A Honda City sold in Australia has 5-star ANCAP rating. Just that in our case, safety features are not considered in the VFM parameters, and manufacturers reduce cost on that very aspect.

Just for comparison – a Vento sold in Malaysia (as Polo Sedan) have 4 airbags, ABS w EBD, 3-point seat belts for all 3 passengers in the rear. And it’s made in India, but not sold in India!
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2012, 10:28   #11175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

Sorry, nothing personal, not against you: it has been bugging me for a while. I hope you won't mind me picking your post to make this point.
:-) Not at all, But I guess with the same co-existense logic I found my question pretty logical.... But I guess this is a wrong place to start this conversation, will probably have it at some other place :-)
evilshantanu is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks