Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th May 2012, 11:49   #11236
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
A safe expressway is one where rules are applicable, followed, enforced. Then there have to be emergency facilities and driving discipline More facilities have to be created to remove stranded vehicles, park them off the main road and enforce rules.
Agree 100%. Which is why I keep saying this (or most others in India) is not an expressway. Perhaps the intention was to build one, but with the basic safety aspects missing, this is only a dual carriageway.
Where is the nearest ambulance or hospital; more than an hour's distance away. And we all know how critical the first hour is for survival.

Quote:
In a foreign country the lorry driver could consider to sue for damages, he caused an accident but the result was more severe due to the negligence of other causing excessive mental trauma.

I have thought about this post quite a lot, stand by it and willing to debate with an open mind. Every death is sad, more so if it was needless caused by callousness. Our traffic sense is practically non existent, like the infrastructure in most of our metros.
Nothing really to debate from my side. Other than the fact this is not a foreign country. Nothing is disciplined or logical; the road quality nor the traffic conditions nor the driver discipline/ sensitivity. Here the driver of the bigger expensive vehicle will be inevitably thrashed by our vigilante public. And after so many lives have been snuffed out, there will be talk of the driver being remorseless and so on. Why would he assume there would be dozens of people stranded in the left lane (or service lane) of a so called expressway?

And I think there lies the root cause for most of the road accidents here in India. There is a term in economics called "ceteris paribus". For those who were not commerce students, this Latin phrase means "assuming everything else is constant". This I believe is the main problem with most drivers in India. They drive with this ceteris paribus mentality (I can overtake this vehicle because all others will continue in a linear manner)whereas it should be the exact opposite especially with the kind of roads and traffic we have. We should be assuming the worst and drive defensively in order to avoid last minute swerves and risky overtaking.

Of course, we can return to policing and implementation of existing rules, but that applies to everything else around us. From sunfilms to tax returns and more. That will not change overnight, especially after driver indiscipline has seeped so much into our systems.

Last edited by selfdrive : 30th May 2012 at 11:51.
selfdrive is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th May 2012, 12:10   #11237
Senior - BHPian

Saw this on a facebook wall:

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-konni_accident1.jpg

The location seems to be Konni, Pathanamthitta district, Kerala.
sandsun7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2012, 13:44   #11238
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
In a foreign country the lorry driver could consider to sue for damages, he caused an accident but the result was more severe due to the negligence of other causing excessive mental trauma.
In my foreign country, he would be in prison for causing death by dangerous driving, and there would be a public outcry for his blood --- and in protest against the fact that whatever is the maximum sentence for that crime would be seen as far, far too lenient for such an accident.

It's the same as the rear-ending rule. If you run into a stationary vehicle, it's your fault.

Sad thing about the two tempos: the people probably felt safe sitting between them. Not sure I wouldn't have made that mistake too. I wonder of the rear one had the handbrake applied ... and working?
Old 30th May 2012, 13:51   #11239
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Phew. Now I feel able to say that that picture could be titled Hyundai getz it.
oi! don't you say anything about ze Getz!

btw, i'm wondering if the passenger was sitting behind. how else would both driver and the passenger get out in time - the front passenger side is completely crushed!
Old 30th May 2012, 14:38   #11240
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
btw, i'm wondering if the passenger was sitting behind. how else would both driver and the passenger get out in time - the front passenger side is completely crushed!
It could be a case of a chauffeur driven saahab seated in the rear.
Either that or the driver opened the rear door to retrieve some belongings
It looks unlikely that anyone in the front passenger seat would have survived.
Old 30th May 2012, 16:23   #11241
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ When I read it in paper today morning I guessed may be the car was not moving and they were watching / waiting for the truck to move. Since it was mentioned something like 'Diver and passenger got out of vehicle just in time' . I dont think if either of vehicles were moving at time of accident car passengers would have got time to analyze and react to the event. And also, passenger seems to be sitting in rear seat. Else he/ she would have been crushed for sure.
Old 30th May 2012, 16:58   #11242
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
Saw this on a facebook wall:
The bus indeed is on a wall. Jokes apart, how in the world would it have got there ??
Old 30th May 2012, 17:01   #11243
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
The bus indeed is on a wall. Jokes apart, how in the world would it have got there ??
The road is at a lower level than the school parking lot. Demarcated by the wall. You may notice that the rear wheel is grounded and way outside the wheel well. Its not really a see saw situation there.
I guess the driver must have lost control while turning.

Last edited by selfdrive : 30th May 2012 at 17:02.
Old 30th May 2012, 23:09   #11244
Senior - BHPian

Caution: Discretion is advised, the video shows people being thrown out of the car during the accident.

This is not a pic but a video, neither is this from India. Found this shared on Fb so I am sharing the link here. If the mods find it inappropriate, please delete.

I have no idea what the driver was upto. Have a look at how the bodies are thrown out of the car.
Why do people try stunts like this? That too on a busy road and what about seat belts?

Last edited by vibbs : 30th May 2012 at 23:15. Reason: Added caution
Old 31st May 2012, 00:07   #11245
Senior - BHPian

Saw this on FB yesterday. At first I could figure out the what the white stuff was that was being flung from the car. Later realised when it was played back in slow-mo. scared the crap outta me; that's how fragile a human body is!

How did the Camry flip so violently? It seemed to be travelling slow when it hit the kerb and then all of a sudden starts flipping.
Old 31st May 2012, 00:15   #11246
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive

RIP is all I can say. I had a similar near hit a couple of weeks ago when a truck full of bamboos swerved at the last minute in front of me. Thankfully I was already eyeing it quite suspicuously and braked well on time.

whoa! I hope and pray no one was seated on the passenger side in the car. It does look like the doors were opened, so hopefully no casualties/ major injuries?
Today's TOI says the driver and the passenger escaped with minor injuries as they were able to jump out in time !
Old 31st May 2012, 01:33   #11247
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
How did the Camry flip so violently? It seemed to be travelling slow when it hit the kerb and then all of a sudden starts flipping.
After seeing many similar videos, I can say that these arab youngsters take their front wheel drive saloons to speeds of 180km/hr+ and then steer left-right making the car dance/ drift/ powerslide or whatever they call it. Most of the times they do this on public roads and when gone wrong, have seen them either killing themselves or some innocent by-standers. Its shocking to see when people cannot differentiate between adrenaline rush and sheer suicide. Its really sad.
Old 31st May 2012, 01:41   #11248
Senior - BHPian

The car in the video looks like a rear wheel drive or am I mistaken. When the car topples the driver seems to still have his/her foot on the gas pedal and the rear left digs in and the car turns turtle. But my observation is made on the car being rear wheel drive.

Last edited by vikram_d : 31st May 2012 at 01:42.
Old 31st May 2012, 07:51   #11249
BHPian

Car with bloodstains abandoned near Queen's Road (Bangalore)

"A brand new Toyota Innova car was found abandoned near Queen's Road on Wednesday. The car had a dent on its bonnet and bloodstains on the left hand side. The number plates have been removed and all vehicle documents missing. The clueless police said the car has been there for over two days.

Police suspect the car was involved in an accident or a crash. The left window has a gaping hole and there's a trail of blood on the body of the car. "We found a stone inside the car so assume the window was broken with it. But we're yet to identify the source of the blood," said the officer.

One possibility is that the car is from outside the state and has been dumped here to destroy evidence. Forensic and fingerprint experts inspected the car and collected evidence."

How is it possible for the car to be there for 2 days, and no one realised it was abandoned. Even the police seem to be clueless here, don't know if the culprit will ever be caught!
Old 31st May 2012, 09:54   #11250
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdgedNTaken View Post
Mr Veerji. If you look closely, the biker, in all probability jumped the signal. You can deduce that from the collective movement of traffic on the top right of the screen. That would have meant it was a red light for the biker. He deserved what he got. He should thank his lucky stars, he got another chance in life to start observing traffic rules at stop lights. Car owners are not always at fault when they hit two-wheelers. Quite often you will find, it is the opposite. This is because four wheelers, due to the bigger size of their vehicles, are inherently aware of their surroundings, and the damage they can cause. The special number plate has nothing to do with this whatsoever. His body language was justified because it was the biker's fault. Quite clearly. You sow. You reap. Don't expect someone else to take responsibility for your actions.
Yes dear you are right and over and above this biker who was in the AIR for few seconds had not fixed the helmet clip, as you can see his helmet too flying off.These bikers wear the helmet for the sake of wearing them.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks