Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2012, 10:12   #11251
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

I was watching TV9, to know what's going on in the city. Then I saw this news that a Fortuner crashed head on into a truck at Nipani (near Belgaum) and 10 people died. The Fortuner was GA 04 registered, and all the deceased were from Goa.

I cannot find any news on the net though.
Old 31st May 2012, 11:44   #11252
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsDoggie View Post
Car with bloodstains abandoned near Queen's Road (Bangalore)
How is it possible for the car to be there for 2 days, and no one realised it was abandoned. Even the police seem to be clueless here, don't know if the culprit will ever be caught!
Surely a vehicle can be traced by its VIN?
Old 31st May 2012, 12:05   #11253
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parry1410 View Post
@Jignesh :
As per today's paper the tempo driver probably dozed off as he hit the people sitting on the guard rail and the buses were in the service lane.

If that is the case then the tempo driver is at fault. Why drive when your body clearly signals that it needs rest.
Actually I have overheard at a food mall on expressway people talking to each other ."I can do 150 km/hr" ,other will say "heheheh I did 170km/hr last month",third one will say "In my merc I can do 215km/hr.End result is CRASHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.
Old 31st May 2012, 12:24   #11254
Distinguished - BHPian

@Iqbal Veerji : Craaaassshhhh... also happen at much lower speeds. AAnd high speed need not equal crash. But then we will go OT discussing that.

I can see lots of jumping to conclusions here without pictures or reports from the accident site.
Old 31st May 2012, 12:45   #11255
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IQBAL VEERJI View Post
Actually I have overheard at a food mall on expressway people talking to each other ."I can do 150 km/hr" ,other will say "heheheh I did 170km/hr last month",third one will say "In my merc I can do 215km/hr.End result is CRASHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
@Iqbal Veerji : Craaaassshhhh... also happen at much lower speeds. And high speed need not equal crash. But then we will go OT discussing that.
Yes, crashes can happen at any speeds anywhere. However, the likelihood of a crash is higher when people drive at such high speeds without taking into account other conditions such as road quality, speed and capability of other drivers and vehicles around them.
I would rather have such people satisy their speed urge on dedicated race tracks than risk other lives on highways which have official speed limit of 80 kmph.
Especially when most of these people think that ability to accelerate a car is equal to great driving. Its not driving, its only speeding. Overspeeding in this case as they cannot do anything other than crash as a reaction to some incident (maybe a lane change by another vehicle or a pothole or a miscalculated turn)

Last edited by selfdrive : 31st May 2012 at 12:46.
selfdrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2012, 12:52   #11256
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsDoggie View Post
Car with bloodstains abandoned near Queen's Road (Bangalore)
[i]
"A brand new Toyota Innova car was found abandoned near Queen's Road on Wednesday. The car had a dent on its bonnet and bloodstains on the left hand side. The number plates have been removed and all vehicle documents missing. The clueless police said the car has been there for over two days.
I actually past this car on sunday afternoon. The front bonnet is not dented, it is caved in.
Old 31st May 2012, 18:21   #11257
Senior - BHPian

Saw a VW Polo with significant damages at the rear and some amount of damage at the front as well, near the Paliyekkara toll booth on the Thrissur-Edappally NH section. The car was lying at exactly the place where people make a U-turn to avoid the toll, so I suspect this was a case of toll-evading gone wrong. The cabin looked intact, so I hope there were no fatalities.
Old 31st May 2012, 21:21   #11258
BHPian

One off my friend shared this on FB-- Skoda Yeti and Fortuner Accident in Chandigarh

Skoda Yeti and Toy-ota Fortuner Accident in Chandigarh | Facebook
Old 31st May 2012, 23:19   #11259
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive

I would rather have such people satisy their speed urge on dedicated race tracks than risk other lives on highways which have official speed limit of 80 kmph.
Especially when most of these people think that ability to accelerate a car is equal to great driving. Its not driving, its only speeding. Overspeeding in this case as they cannot do anything other than crash as a reaction to some incident (maybe a lane change by another vehicle or a pothole or a miscalculated turn)
The problem with us human beings is we like to emulate our heroes without wanting to learn from the beginning. From our childhood we like to be like action heroes and jump from the top of our beds and wrap a bedsheet around and pretend play we are caped heroes.
So even when we grow up we are no lesser children. As we age our perception of heroes and heroism change. We start to think our bicycles are no less as compared to Rossis and Stoners bikes on track. There have been countless incidents with me when ive ended up with self induced accidents on my bicycles. At one point it had gone to such an extent that my parents literally stopped me from riding bicycles and till this day they refuse permission to buy a motorcycle not even an activa.
It is perhaps due to their constant refusal and my dad's strictness that today when i ride a bike i dont go above 60kmph. As i aged i spent time learning that speed isnt everything. Each formula one and motogp crash made me realise this. Then getting into the medical profession and seeing accident cases day in and day out made me realise how fragile the human body is.

Yes on a track anyday Ill rip the horses out of a car. But on a road never. These days parents love their children blindly as a child can throw tantrums and given time constraints of a modern day life, parents oblige their children endlessly so much so that under 18s are given the drivers seat without proper adult supervision. Loving a child sensibly is different than loving him blindly. Yes you may have money and a wealth of resources at your disposal but no amount of wealth can bring back a lost child.

If you feel your child loves speed and youve got the time Id advise to go for track days. These are humbling experiences and make an individual realise the importance of safety of not just them but others also on the road. Formula one drivers did not become so in a day. They were trained over extended periods of time from their childhood and thus have reflexes aquired over a long training period inbred into their reflex systems. Even then crashes happen. It just goes on to show that a split second delay can lead to such damage. We are ordinary human beings. Till 2011 we probably never would have the chance of an experience of an f1 track. Yet we would behave without a care about others driving on the road. having a fast car will not give you fast reflexes unless you dedicate your time and energy on the track. Until you do that you will only continue to risk others lives on the road with your immaturity.
Controlling a vehicle 2 or 3 or 4 wheeler at lower speeds or through turns give much more fun than just blazing through a quarter mile without even getting to enjoy the world around you. Do you feel more fun riding in the twisties or on a straight line? Be honest to yourself. Yes i do have cars that can drive at 3digit speeds all day long but then I also have a family who expect me to return home each day without harming myself or anyone else on the road.
My words may not have been as well articulated as many senior Bhpians with a flair for writing. But i see this loss of lives everyday, not just on highways but on city streets, most of which are caused due to somebody else's carelessness and not necessarily the victims'. Hope this message has been able to convey atleast some wisdom to the people who lack it. If even one person is convinced about the value of human life after reading this i consider my purpose served.

I wish to offend noone with my words. Maybe they are the rambling of a person who is pissed off at the modern lifestyle of selfish living and zero value for human life and our attitude of saying "sorry" for all diplomatic reasons. Think of it. If you hit someone with your car or bike, what makes you say sorry? Does it come from the heart or is it the fear that the other person may harm you? We human beings have become worse than animals and we've learnt to hide our real selves behind cloaks of fake goodiness.

Id conclude with a self made sentence since we all are selfish in someway or the other and would like to take credit for everything under the sun
"Maintaining speed limits saves your life more often than breaking the limits."

Cheers

Edit: pardon my sarcasm if it doesnt suit your cup of tea.
Selfdrive sir Ive quoted your post as it relates to mine in a positive way.
Regards

Last edited by Parthasarathig : 31st May 2012 at 23:21.
Parthasarathig is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 1st June 2012, 01:00   #11260
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
Saw this on FB yesterday. At first I could figure out the what the white stuff was that was being flung from the car. Later realised when it was played back in slow-mo. scared the crap outta me; that's how fragile a human body is!

How did the Camry flip so violently? It seemed to be travelling slow when it hit the kerb and then all of a sudden starts flipping.
I you watch clearly, he was trying a drift. probably used full throttle and handbrake. so the drive wheel was spinning vigorously and gave momentum to the car.
Old 1st June 2012, 12:05   #11261
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
Controlling a vehicle 2 or 3 or 4 wheeler at lower speeds or through turns give much more fun than just blazing through a quarter mile without even getting to enjoy the world around you. Do you feel more fun riding in the twisties or on a straight line? Be honest to yourself.
I agree with your note. However the problem these days is that people want to do 3 digit speeds even on twisties. Its a case of wanting to zoom and glide rather than trying to drive the vehicle.
And the word control is key, because accidents are caused usually when someone is unable to maintain their control over the vehicle. Which is usually a result of inability to control their moment of madness. Is it because testosterone levels generally so high these days. Maybe I should blame all those deo ads again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
Edit: pardon my sarcasm if it doesnt suit your cup of tea.
Selfdrive sir Ive quoted your post as it relates to mine in a positive way.
I dont see any sarcasm in your post; it seems to be a direct and blunt account of what you feel.
Oh and there is no 'sir' word in my tbhp handle. Or anywhere else when anyone addresses me, just to clarify
Old 1st June 2012, 12:36   #11262
BHPian

This was on NH4 near Nipani. Source :- Belgaum edition

Tarun Bharat Daily
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-untitled.jpg  

Old 1st June 2012, 12:44   #11263
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAHIR.KITTUR View Post
This was on NH4 near Nipani. Source :- Belgaum edition

Tarun Bharat Daily
oh my dear Lord! what tore that vehicle (Tavera?) open like that? was it the container truck in the background?
Old 1st June 2012, 12:56   #11264
Distinguished - BHPian

That's a Fortuner. 10 People were killed when the Fortuner jumped off the median and hit a truck on the opposite direction. The truck was Registered in Rajasthan and was carrying pipes.

http://www.deccanherald.com/content/...ad-mishap.html

Last edited by paragsachania : 1st June 2012 at 12:58.
Old 1st June 2012, 13:15   #11265
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
That's a Fortuner. 10 People were killed when the Fortuner jumped off the median and hit a truck on the opposite direction. The truck was Registered in Rajasthan and was carrying pipes.

10 killed in car-truck collision in Belgaum
Thats a hell of an accident. May their souls rest in peace. Just for every ones opinion, toyota cars are reliable but how good are they in safety front as i have seen few innova crashes with fatalities.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks