Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2012, 21:20   #11371
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by BheemBoy View Post

God, someone has to stand up and change the way these private travel operations. We are all sitting ducks in those VOLVO buses.
I have observed in many of the volvo accidents that the passenger window area is made of entirely glass and when the bus falls into a ditch the passengers sitting on that side are directly exposed to the outside world since the glasses would vanish almost instantaneously after the impact of hitting the ground. In the buses with older design, atleast the metal columns/pillars would hold the bus together and probably would minimize the impact.
I noticed this in the case of KSRTC too. Ever since KSRTC (Karnataka), has switched to such 'more glass, less metal' approach on its new express buses (AL/TATA), the cases of buses suffering major structural damage due to a minor impact are more. This was not the case with the older design of KSRTC which existed in 1990s.
The new design buses look more attractive than the old buses which lacked aesthetic appeal but are less safer in my opinion.
Old 18th June 2012, 12:03   #11372
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetee View Post
30 people die in bus accident near Sholapur. Bus involved is an AP travels Volvo bound to Shirdi from Hyderabad. About 14 are trainees in TCS ( who completed ILP) and are from same college. From pics flashed on TV, it appears that many succumbed to head injuries.
Is it not hightime governments mandate functional seat-belts in buses. Whether to strap it or not is passenger's fate.
Btw, what should be done in meantime to safeguard one's brains while traveling in buses?
1. Tie yourself to the seat with a belt or whatever to prevent yourself being thrown around in bus.
2. Wear a helmet- the one cyclists use

Any other ideas?
https://www.facebook.com/#!/permalin...47207215344994

This is what the traffic cops have to say about seat belts in buses ! So dont expect anything on having a seat belt in a bus till the time a minister's kin dies in a bus accident
Old 18th June 2012, 12:18   #11373
BHPian

Is it possible to do this to overcome / reduce such accidents in future?

Generally when we hire cabs/taxis for outstation trips, we ensure that someone who is fresh/not sleeping sits with the driver and keeps watchig him. Can we implement similar scenario in Govt / private transport operated buses?

1. Passengers to take turns in 2/4 hour shifts to sit along with driver to ensure that he is not sleeping/not drunk. These passengers are picked randomly on a daily basis so that there is no nexus. They will have to send a report at the end of their shift.

2. This independent call/trip sheet to be mailed to operator/respective tranport authority so that they can give incentive/penalise driver and travels based on the report.

3. Have speed governors on all buses so that they don't cross 100KMPH

We need to stand up and raise our voice together to bring the govt/pvt operators to act.

Last edited by BheemBoy : 18th June 2012 at 12:19. Reason: format/edit
BheemBoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2012, 13:31   #11374
BHPian

Mangalore: In yet another case of mindlessly rash driving by the bus drivers in the heart of the city, a pedestrian was knocked by a speeding bus in front of Hotel Woodside and Amnesia Pub on Dr Shivarama Karanth Road in Balmatta around 11 am on Monday, June 18.

WARNING: GRAPHIC IMAGES IN THE FOLLOWING LINK

Mangalore: Rule of the Roadhogs - Pedestrian Knocked down by Bus, Dies on Spot
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-acc1.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-acc2.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-acc3.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-acc4.jpg  

Old 18th June 2012, 14:59   #11375
Senior - BHPian

few years back when i had been to Mangalore for my wife's friend's wedding, i had a horrible experience with the local buses there. we took the bus from one point to another (sorry, don't remember the name) and it was like being on a horror ride. the passengers were being thrown around inside the bus, the bus almost hit couple of vehicles on the road and i banged my head twice on that vertical rod! oh, not to mention, almost thrown out of the bus (was standing)!

freaking idiots!
Old 18th June 2012, 15:26   #11376
BHPian

The local transportation in Mangalore is privitized, but controlled by Government. The contract Fee/Renewal Fee/Routes cost a lot for these operator in bribe and not to mention the intense competition.

So these private bus drivers are driving to survive and its like a death race to them, have to beat others in order to survive. There is little respect for pedestrian and other vehicles. These buses have short chassis and can turn sharp.

I am very conscious when driving in Mangalore and between Mangalore and Udupi. Had many a close shaves with these buses..

Regards
Old 18th June 2012, 16:22   #11377
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alstonlobo View Post
Mangalore: In yet another case of mindlessly rash driving by the bus drivers in the heart of the city, a pedestrian was knocked by a speeding bus in front of Hotel Woodside and Amnesia Pub on Dr Shivarama Karanth Road in Balmatta around 11 am on Monday, June 18.

WARNING: GRAPHIC IMAGES IN THE FOLLOWING LINK

Mangalore: Rule of the Roadhogs - Pedestrian Knocked down by Bus, Dies on Spot

Another article on the story.

Mangalore: Speeding Bus Kills Pedestrian
Attached Thumbnails

Old 18th June 2012, 20:09   #11378
Senior - BHPian

I grew up travelling in these Mangalorean monster buses almost every day for all my school days, for 12 years. I have even seen a guy trying to board a moving bus from its front door (route 44A, light yellow and dark green colour, I can never forget) and slipping and getting his head under the rear wheels. It was some 15 years ago. The bus crew had only one agenda, take as many passengers as possible, before another bus takes them.
Sadly, they still have the same priorities. And that's gonna last forever.

A few years ago, the transport minister announced that they will remove private operators from Mangalore and operate KSRTC buses. 2 weeks later, they announced that the city prefers private operators, so no KSRTC buses.

Then a friend of mine told me what his uncle (who owns a fleet of buses in Mangalore) told him. Immediately after the first announcement, the city bus operators' union representatives (the uncle included) came to Bangalore, met the minister and "settled" the matter.

We all can guess what "settled" means, right?
rohanjf is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2012, 22:34   #11379
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
I grew up travelling in these Mangalorean monster buses almost every day for all my school days, for 12 years. I have even seen a guy trying to board a moving bus from its front door (route 44A, light yellow and dark green colour, I can never forget) and slipping and getting his head under the rear wheels. It was some 15 years ago. The bus crew had only one agenda, take as many passengers as possible, before another bus takes them.
Sadly, they still have the same priorities. And that's gonna last forever.
Here is something off topic from myside. I have observed that in many cases of such deaths of innocent pedestrians/ two wheeler riders in south karnataka (bangalore/mysore/kolar), the buses were burnt by the angry mob immediately. I have pictures of such incidents. But Mangaloreans seem to be a bit gentle in reacting and hence no such incidents of bus burning. The private bus operators seem to be misusing this.

Following is a case in which a KSRTC bus was burnt when two people on a bike were knocked down during night.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-kol_0209112.jpg  

Old 19th June 2012, 11:01   #11380
Distinguished - BHPian

Day before at lodhi road, I spotted these two, and thought thats a stupid place to have a chat. Bang on the intersection.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20120617-020003896.jpg
Then saw the great affection they had for each other
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20120617-020012491.jpg

And this, today morning at the expressway.
The guy looked grim enough to get the notion that this is from today's fun drive itself.
Name:  city eway.png
Views: 6625
Size:  684.1 KB
mayankk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th June 2012, 12:54   #11381
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_naik View Post
Here is something off topic from myside. I have observed that in many cases of such deaths of innocent pedestrians/ two wheeler riders in south karnataka (bangalore/mysore/kolar), the buses were burnt by the angry mob immediately. I have pictures of such incidents. But Mangaloreans seem to be a bit gentle in reacting and hence no such incidents of bus burning. The private bus operators seem to be misusing this.
The public in Mangalore go on a driver trashing spree if they get to lay their hands on him as in this case last year

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-acc2.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-acc3.jpg

DAIJIWORLD
Old 19th June 2012, 12:59   #11382
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
And this, today morning at the expressway.
The guy looked grim enough to get the notion that this is from today's fun drive itself.
Attachment 943285
This guy is not at fault as it appears that someone has hit the lid open from behind.
Old 19th June 2012, 13:29   #11383
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
This guy is not at fault as it appears that someone has hit the lid open from behind.
I'm sorry but he is at fault also.
You cannot go driving a vehicle which is unsafe. The owner should atleast tie down the lid before proceeding further.
He is commiting an even bigger blunder if someone has just him, and he is oblivious to this fact as things can fall off from the boot onto the road harming other motorists.
Old 19th June 2012, 13:32   #11384
Senior - BHPian

The guy holding the driver and then beating him up is almost twice his size. The unfortunate part is that justice is so delayed (if at all delivered) in our country that people resort to vigilante on the spot justice. Even this does not get the morons to improve their driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
This is what the traffic cops have to say about seat belts in buses ! So dont expect anything on having a seat belt in a bus till the time a minister's kin dies in a bus accident
Do you really expect minister's kin to ride in a bus?
ie. kin of a minister who is high enough to ensure changes to such laws/ rules.
Old 19th June 2012, 17:37   #11385
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_m View Post
I'm sorry but he is at fault also.
You cannot go driving a vehicle which is unsafe. The owner should atleast tie down the lid before proceeding further.
What I meant was on that incident when someon tail crashed into him.
Definitely it is dangerous to drive in that manner.
On the lighter side some bloke on two wheels might land inside his boot.
Further he is not keeping his lane too; a bad driver.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks