Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2012, 22:52   #11521
Senior - BHPian

One night while retuning after dinner with my wife I was near the signal before Command Hospital and was heading towards Cambridge layout when I see a Infant's bus heading straight towards me, on the wrong side of the road. I stop in front of it and ask the driver to back off as he's in the wrong; not only do I get abused by the driver of the bus, but also by the so called educated and well-to-do drivers of the cars behind me asking me to give him way so that they could continue on their way!!

I was appalled! I mean, people have no distinction between right and wrong anymore? Does it depend on the situation and whether one is in a hurry or not; whether or not one is comfortable supporting the truth or be cowered or bullied?

People don't want to make a scene; they don't want to stand out like a sore thumb even if it means standing up against oppression or for something they believe in. They just go with the flow.

People will never change; they never have and they never will for another million years! we just have to shove our pride where no one will see it and get on with our lives!
IronH4WK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th July 2012, 23:03   #11522
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK
One night while retuning after dinner with my wife I was near the signal before Command Hospital and was heading towards Cambridge layout when I see a Infant's bus heading straight towards me, on the wrong side of the road. I stop in front of it and ask the driver to back off as he's in the wrong; not only do I get abused by the driver of the bus, but also by the so called educated and well-to-do drivers of the cars behind me asking me to give him way so that they could continue on their way!!

I was appalled! I mean, people have no distinction between right and wrong anymore? Does it depend on the situation and whether one is in a hurry or not; whether or not one is comfortable supporting the truth or be cowered or bullied?

People don't want to make a scene; they don't want to stand out like a sore thumb even if it means standing up against oppression or for something they believe in. They just go with the flow.

People will never change; they never have and they never will for another million years! we just have to shove our pride where no one will see it and get on with our lives!
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-image2556501721.jpg

I get into such situations almost everyday. Attaching one such pic taken recently where I was abused by people behind me

This guy banged on my bonnet and threatened me to come out of my MH registered car in his KA state. I had to change my gear and revv hard to let him know I wouldn't mind running over him. That's when he just fled from there. But people behind me pulled over next to me and asked me to join Anna Hazare if I am worried about social service. One guy even told me how I had caused a delay to everyone behind me.

Last edited by GTO : 9th July 2012 at 15:51. Reason: Removing double image. And please do NOT use inappropriate language (even indirectly)
speedsatya is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th July 2012, 23:37   #11523
BHPian

Quote:

I was appalled! I mean, people have no distinction between right and wrong anymore? D!
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya

I get into such situations almost everyday. Attaching one such pic taken recently where I was abused by people behind me

This guy banged on my bonnet and threatened me to come out of my MH registered car in his KA state. I had to change my gear and revv hard to let him know I wouldn't mind running over him.
Heartfelt condolences to your family @speedsatya. Its true until its ones own or family members life at risk most people dont even bother.

@IronH4wk perhaps you saved the life of the guy behind you that day. And @speedsatya perhaps you saved the bikers life too had someone just run him over. But he didnt realise that. Had you not stopped in front of the bus or the bike and made your escape earlier im sure that day someone driving behind your car or the biker would not have returned home. And people have become big ingrates here.

After having read quite a few posts on this thread about the uncaring attitude of bus passengers i decided to see personally what this was all about. The passengers sitting in front seat of the bus in front of the driver doesnt even know or rather realise that he is driving rashly. The driver kept weaving in and out of lanes on the highway and almost nearly had a head on with a crane on the wrong side of the road coming in the opposite direction. After which the driver calmed down a bit when he had this heart in mouth experience. Yet i see the front passengers not even telling him to slow down. Some are even encouraging him to go fast as they have train to catch.

The problem with bus and its passengers is that most people travelling in the buses lack very much in common sense. Im not generalising bus travellers but im talking about those who have low iq and are not educated. Since they are not educated so they have no idea what a head on collision or driving on the wrong lane can do to them as passengers until something happens. The base of the problem is these people learn that hitting a hammer to the head hurts a lot whereas we learn from others such mistakes or even by our knowledge that hitting a hammer on the head does hurt without having to test it.

This lack of education has become the root cause of all social evils. Unless people are taught how to take care of themselves they will only end up risking the lives of others.

And i think in Bangalore or any other metro you can never expect anyone to thank you for doing a good Thing.

Thanks for being the few good samaritans in a city where there is a paucity of them.

Regards.

P.s. IDS sticker is a boon these days. Since the brainless fellows equate safe driving to slow driving they usually stay out of my lane letting me therefore achieve better mileage figures and good speeds thereby reaching my destination faster. Thank you to the person who thought of this sticker.

Edit: btw have seen a lot of cabs with INFANT written on them. Are they school cabs or some cab service?

Last edited by Parthasarathig : 7th July 2012 at 23:38.
Old 8th July 2012, 00:13   #11524
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
My cousins son and mother passed away in this accident ! Because the bus driver came on the wrong side on a 2 lane road with dividers !

Mangalore: Two Killed on Spot in Car-Bus Collision at Jeppinamogeru
Very sad to hear this news. May their souls RIP and may God give their families the strength to bear this tragic loss.

Looks like Mangalore is dominating this thread these days. Any specific reasons for this?
Old 8th July 2012, 00:46   #11525
Senior - BHPian

Kasargod - Mangalore - Udipi -Kundapur on the NH17 has always been one of the most dangerous stretches to drive on.

Bus drivers drive like maniacs. With a non existent law enforcement and an equally useless general public , these drivers have been playing with our lives.

Accidents involving these local buses occupy most pages in the local newspaper. And most of these accidents like most other accidents on our roads are avoidable as they are due to some idiots stupidity. You will hear incidents like passengers mentioning about how rash the driver was. But you wouldn't come across anyone stopping the bus driver or bashing him up for driving rash.

On why mangalore has been mentioned more frequently in this thread , guess it could be because of an increase in the number of mangaloreans here

Last edited by speedsatya : 8th July 2012 at 00:48.
Old 8th July 2012, 00:59   #11526
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
Attachment 952791

Attachment 952792

This guy banged on my bonnet and threatened me to come out of my MH registered car in his KA state. I had to change my gear and revv hard to let him know I wouldn't mind running over him. That's when he just fled from there. But people behind me pulled over next to me and asked me to join Anna Hazare if I am worried about social service. One guy even told me how I had caused a delay to everyone behind me. Politely asked each of them to FO
Good work. This has given me a good idea to calm down and take a picture of the wrong doer.

Can't you post it on Bangalore Traffic Police Facebook site and get this guy to task. If this guy had banged my bumper, he would have lost his bike for sure.
Old 8th July 2012, 07:33   #11527
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS

Good work. This has given me a good idea to calm down and take a picture of the wrong doer.

Can't you post it on Bangalore Traffic Police Facebook site and get this guy to task. If this guy had banged my bumper, he would have lost his bike for sure.
I wouldnt advice everyone to take pics as this can unnecessarily provoke the other person. But whatever , never get down from your vehicle. A safer option would be to invest in a DVR( driving video recorder )

On the Bangalore Traffic Police FB , I had posted this. They reply back saying the number plate isn't visible clearly !
Old 8th July 2012, 09:17   #11528
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig
Edit: btw have seen a lot of cabs with INFANT written on them. Are they school cabs or some cab service?
INFANT'S is a travel agency like S.R.S Travels who rent out their vehicles for various companies to ferry their employees. S.R.S was the worst driven cabs until INFANT'S came along. These guys I think employ rowdies as their drivers as I've not seen a single one being courteous on the road or when spoken to! They're even worse when speaking to women!
IronH4WK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2012, 09:33   #11529
BHPian

Quote:

INFANT'S is a travel agency like S.R.S Travels who rent out their vehicles for various companies to ferry their employees. S.R.S was the worst driven cabs until INFANT'S came along. These guys I think employ rowdies as their drivers as I've not seen a single one being courteous on the road or when spoken to! They're even worse when speaking to women!
Thanks for the info. Till now i thought it was a school van service during the day and ferrying people at night. Yes I had my fair share of their cabbies near to Phoenix mall as ive mentioned in the Bangalore traffic rants thread. They behave worse when a lady is in the car. My mom was in the passenger seat and the driver started to abuse me for no apparent reason. His passengers and my mom were :shockked: so were the other fellows on the road. I only wish one day they face my dad. He likes giving education to such drivers as he has taught many a lesson to a few bus drivers and bikers too. I however keep my calm and took it in my stride and drove off.
These cabbies arent worth our time. And they are drunk almost all the time. I wondee how lady passengers travel in these cabs. It would be nothing short of sexual harassment for them. Generally i hate the way people treat women condescendingly in this city. Ive reiterated this point earlier also.

Regards.
Old 8th July 2012, 10:31   #11530
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya
My cousins son and mother passed away in this accident ! Because the bus driver came on the wrong side on a 2 lane road with dividers !
A very sad news, sorry to hear about that. May God give the strength to the family to bear the loss.

Unfortunately no matter how safe the vehicles are built, it's of no use until most drivers around learn the importance of driving safe.
Old 8th July 2012, 19:35   #11531
BHPian

Another life lost due to the practice of not strapping the helmet. This happened to a distant relative - mother of a 1.5 year old a few weeks ago. She was riding to work and was wearing a helmet but had not buckled it on. A speeding contracted office bus belonging to a popular operator hit her from behind and she was thrown off her bike. The driver did not stop the vehicle and sped away from the spot (he was caught 24 hrs later). She sustained serious head injury and was admitted in a comatose state. She did not respond to treatment and breathed her last 2 days later. Last heard the bus company was trying to negotiate for a settlement with the family
Old 9th July 2012, 18:45   #11532
BANNED

Had seen this on the entry to Chennai city. No information about deaths/injuries are known since I was in the bus and heavy police force near the accident site. No blood stains were seen on the car or around it. looking at the state of Innova it doesn't give a good sight.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-07072012089.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-07072012090.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-07072012091.jpg

Sorry for not so clear pictures as it was taken from my mobile. Any news of deaths on this accident in the media/newspapers?
Old 9th July 2012, 19:19   #11533
Senior - BHPian

whoa!! only the driver could have survived that accident, that too barely!!

that Innova is squished!
Old 10th July 2012, 02:37   #11534
BHPian

Well, after going through all these posts, I thought I should also post my experience here. I was driving from Kollam to Kayamkulam (mere 30 km drive) in my Palio 1.3 MJD. Reached a place called Edavattom. Saw a group of 3 petty workers in bicycles. I was doing some 50-60km/hr at that stretch. After a lot of congested roads, that stretch was a bliss. Suddenly one of the morons decided that was the time to turn right. What happened next will be embedded in my memory for ever. First cyclist turned right, second one followed and then the third one! And that too in fraction of seconds. Guess they were going to a party together! I literately had to stand on my brakes! Palio stalled and they escaped unhurt. The engine shut down due to breaking and I had to start it again to get the power steering and hydraulic brakes, while I was on the move due to the momentum.

In Kerala, you notice that there are a lot of places with the board "Accident Prone Area" where it should really have been "MORON PRONE AREA"
KL01BE is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 10th July 2012, 09:41   #11535
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KL01BE View Post
In Kerala, you notice that there are a lot of places with the board "Accident Prone Area" where it should really have been "MORON PRONE AREA"
Everywhere is a Moron Prone Area, chettai. It's only the density that varies.

Most Viewed