Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2012, 14:33   #11566
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
If "Ifs and buts were candy and nuts.."

Yes, the correct way of doing it is leaving it in neutral and have the handbrake on. Sourab was indeed lucky that it was a fairly deserted traffic-signal. If there were pedestrians or other cars around it would have gotten a lot worse. But glad it didn't.

But going by the circumstances, it was a good thing that the resistance against the rear-ending was minimal.
I indeed am lucky to escape the worse but at the same time i am scared a bit too. So much so that i did not take the replacement car out of fear.

Is there any way to escape such incident that are result of others carelessness? Can we make a white car more visible for a person behind it?
Old 12th July 2012, 15:43   #11567
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
Is there any way to escape such incident that are result of others carelessness? Can we make a white car more visible for a person behind it?
Defensive driving will help, but not always. Do you really think making a white car more visible would have saved in this situation. No matter what we do, there are morons on the road to whom, we are invisible.

Last edited by ecenandu : 12th July 2012 at 15:45.
Old 12th July 2012, 20:19   #11568
Senior - BHPian

Daughter of a retired employee of the organization I work for, met with a tragic road accident today at Bangalore.
May her soul rest in peace.
She is survived by her husband and a son.

Last edited by rajeev k : 12th July 2012 at 20:22.
Old 12th July 2012, 21:23   #11569
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
Daughter of a retired employee of the organization I work for, met with a tragic road accident today at Bangalore.
I saw this in the Malayalam newspapers. This is the CMR College faculty member who died when a sand truck hit her scooter in Banaswadi, isn't it? Manorama report:

Manorama Online | Malayalam News | Bangalore |
Old 12th July 2012, 21:58   #11570
BANNED

Quote:
My current car is 5th one. I met with accident only once when a wagonr rear ended me in broad day light with my 3rd car. It was white coloured !!

You cant do much if driver behind you is driving with closed eyes.
Old 12th July 2012, 22:13   #11571
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
This guy banged on my bonnet and threatened me to come out of my MH registered car in his KA state. I had to change my gear and revv hard to let him know I wouldn't mind running over him. That's when he just fled from there. But people behind me pulled over next to me and asked me to join Anna Hazare if I am worried about social service. One guy even told me how I had caused a delay to everyone behind me.
Man; I am getting tired of this inter state bull kra** and it is happening quite often in Bangalore. I really wish you could have run over and injured the guy if not kill him. Don't do it. This just comes to mind when you see punks like these.

Bangalore is getting so annoying to the extent that I wish to get out of this city.

It is not just with out of state cars. Verbal duels take place right in the middle of the road. Two vehicles brush against each other, they stop right there and argue. They do not even pull over. They do not care about other roads users.

I had to deal with a very angry muslim man. It sure was my fault. I got more annoyed when he could not control his temper. I had dropped my dad at Banaswadi station and was heading home. Those who know the short cut from Banaswadi station to reach Jevanahalli rail bridge will know that the roads are very narrow. At one point there was a on coming car, I realized that there won't be room for both of us to go and I had just missed a turn I could take to give way. Without looking, I engaged reverse, ignored the reverse parking sensor hooting away and hit a motorcycle. It was a very gentle bump but being a motorcycle and a elderly man riding it, he panicked and dropped the bike. The rider was standing. Even with my windows rolled up I could hear him scream his lungs out in that typical Bangalore sing song hindi. At one point he slammed his hand so hard against the boot lid that I thought I had gone and hit something. In the panic of the situation, I had forgotten that I was blocking traffic and nobody could go through. To make way I turned the car in to Vivekananda Nagar 3rd Cross street and pulled over. This happened at the intersection of this street and 4th cross. Got down and checked the car and all was good except for a really small nick on the rear lower bumper. Looking at who I had hit, I could see he was standing and hurling away his absolute best. The bike was still on the ground. I said sorry and picked up his bike and was holding it for him to take over. It did not help. He kept at his abuses, then I started firing away and then realized that he is not taking the bike from me. We were not going anywhere with this. I got tired and then left the bike and walked away. It fell to the ground again and he had not held it. Abuses all over again. I picked up the bike again and asked him, why can't you accept an apology, I am admitting that this is my mistake but it just would not work. I walked away after this. More than being upset about hitting the guy, it just made me sad at how people are these days. Nobody cares, wishes or thinks we can deal with a situation with a sense of calm and get more out of it. NO. We must fight, abuse, sometimes beat each other up for mental satisfaction and this makes me sad. Why are people so angry all the time.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 19th July 2012 at 00:30. Reason: Editing a sensitive word :)
sandeepmohan is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th July 2012, 22:33   #11572
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Nobody cares, wishes or thinks we can deal with a situation with a sense of calm and get more out of it. NO. We must fight, abuse, sometimes beat each other up for mental satisfaction and this makes me sad. Why are people so angry all the time.
Sandeep, it is not just Bangalore, this is the case with any city in India, with more money, people have become more abusive and unfriendly. You certainly made a mistake and tried to correct that, but that was not accepted. This has carried on to our young cricketers too. See how they celebrate a hundred or a wicket ? They spew profanities around, seems like they do not enjoy their game at all. I am finding it impossible to explain this to my kids. This is what money has made us.
Old 13th July 2012, 02:43   #11573
Senior - BHPian

^^^Money has made us thus? I think not! If that were true, it should be true for most affluent countries. Money does not make us into anything. At best it will show us our real face.
Raccoon is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th July 2012, 09:12   #11574
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Sandeep, it is not just Bangalore, this is the case with any city in India, with more money, people have become more abusive and unfriendly. This has carried on to our young cricketers too. See how they celebrate a hundred or a wicket ?
Gave up watching cricket 10 years ago. What is supposed to be a gentleman's game is now a rowdy match. Thankly, there is a little modesty left when the English are playing in their country, meaning British folk.

I am not sure if this problem is being caused by money. Money does change a person's attitude but why throw fury into it. We have started to hate our own people and I do not know how this came about. When was the last time someone offered to help you? Those days are gone. It is now a I don't care attitude or to hell with it. There are times I find myself wanting to be a bad person because of the people around me. They do not deserve any respect. Sorry state of affairs.

If our laws can ever be made to work, things may change.
Old 13th July 2012, 10:46   #11575
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Gave up watching cricket 10 years ago. What is supposed to be a gentleman's game is now a rowdy match. Thankly, there is a little modesty left when the English are playing in their country, meaning British folk.

I am not sure if this problem is being caused by money. Money does change a person's attitude but why throw fury into it. We have started to hate our own people and I do not know how this came about. When was the last time someone offered to help you? Those days are gone. It is now a I don't care attitude or to hell with it. There are times I find myself wanting to be a bad person because of the people around me. They do not deserve any respect. Sorry state of affairs.

Law help those who take it in their hands.

Its education Sandeep and nothing else. By education I do not mean the degrees and certificates we get from boards and universities. I mean the real education that our elders pass on to us. What can you expect from a society where criminals and corrupts are not looked down upon but praised, promoted and allowed to be our leaders. All in all the short fuse is result of a little bit of power everybody entice oneself with, lack of respect for everybody else and lack of moral values. Unfortunately we are part of this society.
Old 13th July 2012, 16:40   #11576
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Bangalore is getting so annoying to the extent that I wish to get out of this city.

Why are people so angry all the time.
Our cities have grown beyond their means. Population density has increased to a level where people feel the need to fight for everything in order to prevent somebody else from taking it away from them. Like a seat in a bus, for a parking spot, for their turn at the grocery store, for a place in the elevator,a table at a restaurant. We have forgotten our heritage and our survival instincts have made us adopt a "kill or be killed" kind of attitude. It is sad that this is the truth in most of our big cities.

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 13th July 2012 at 16:45.
Old 13th July 2012, 16:49   #11577
BHPian

Bhatkal: Bike Rider on Way to Kundapur Killed in Accident

Yahya Hallare
Daijiworld Media Network - Bhatkal

Bhatkal, Jul 13: One person was killed in an accident at Mudubhatkal here on Thursday July 13, when a VRL truck rammed into the motorcycle he was riding.
The deceased has been identified as Chandra Masti Naik (32).
Chandra was on his way to Kundapur when the VRL truck plying from Hubli smashed into his bike. The incident took place at around 2 pm.
Chandra, a resident of Gulmi Bhatkal and was working in Bhatkal Marikatte Ananta shop.
Bhatkal PSI Prakash Devadiga along with his team rushed to the spot.
A case has been registered at Bhatkal town police station. The driver of the truck fled the spot.
The body was taken to government hospital for post-mortem.
Old 13th July 2012, 17:10   #11578
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alstonlobo View Post
Daijiworld Media Network - Bhatkal
bhatkal, Jul 13: .
I had this question in my mind for a long time. So posting this at the expense of being off topic.

Is Daiji World a very big media house in the Southern part of india. I have lost count of the number of posts in this thread with the links/photos from Daiji World. Wonder how their correspondents are always present at the site of the accident to take these pictures and report on them.
Old 13th July 2012, 17:30   #11579
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
More than being upset about hitting the guy, it just made me sad at how people are these days. Nobody cares, wishes or thinks we can deal with a situation with a sense of calm and get more out of it. NO. We must fight, abuse, sometimes beat each other up for mental satisfaction and this makes me sad. Why are people so angry all the time.
I am sure we notice this all the time. To use a comparison, everyone wants to be a Singham or Dabanng these days. No Amol Palekars around anymore. I am not saying movies are influencing people's behavioural patterns, but they kinda make things acceptable in our society. Because everyone thinks another can do it and get away with it, so can I. It has turned to I, I & I. there is no 'we' as a society anymore. Its me against the world. Unfortunately there seems no visible way of heading back.

Quote:
If we change things, maybe our laws can be made to work?

Quote:
All in all the short fuse is result of a little bit of power everybody entice oneself with, lack of respect for everybody else and lack of moral values. Unfortunately we are part of this society.
Yes, lack of respect for others. But I also suspect its an inferiority complex and victim attitude. In the incident mentioned above, would the biker chacha have lost it as much as he did if a cyclist hit him? We all know the answer. Biker chacha here would have assumed that these software employed youngsters (no offence to anyone) are driving fast cars and dont respect anyone around them. this is what I hear from people when I am on my bike or walking around. So I assume they would say the same against me when I am driving my car too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
We have forgotten our heritage and our survival instincts have made us adopt a "kill or be killed" kind of attitude. It is sad that this is the truth in most of our big cities.
@Santoshbhat, I had an incident recently that I think I mentioned earlier on this or the Bad drivers thread. At a crowded intersection, I paused for a moment to let a car coming from my right pass to his straight. No traffic behind me, but the guy I waited for lost it. he came halfway out of his window and shouted at me, waving his hands asking me ot move forward. The idiot was blocking traffic and did not want to go thought I was letting him the space. I rolled down my windows and let him know the same, but he was ranting so badly that he didnt choose to listen to what I said.

We are just so cynical and doubtful of anyone who does something to help. I am habituated to holding doors open for people, especially if I see older people or pregnant women. Or helping a disabled or blind person move around. Try doing that and see what kind of looks you get. Its almost as if they think I am doing something sarcastically.

To them naysayers: No, I am not being sarcastic or trying to strike a conversation with someone. It is just etiquette you morons!
Old 14th July 2012, 01:05   #11580
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Our cities have grown beyond their means. Population density has increased to a level where people feel the need to fight for everything in order to prevent somebody else from taking it away from them. Like a seat in a bus, for a parking spot, for their turn at the grocery store, for a place in the elevator,a table at a restaurant. We have forgotten our heritage and our survival instincts have made us adopt a "kill or be killed" kind of attitude. It is sad that this is the truth in most of our big cities.
Perhaps the most important point. And its not just me saying - I recall reading about a psycho survey/test sometime back about how population density leads to all kinds of maladies in human behavior.

Population is one India's biggest, if not THE biggest problem. But nobody likes to even talk about it. For some strange reason we think cartoons in textbooks are much bigger problems...
Raccoon is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed