Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2012, 12:35   #11671
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
It was a black Chevvy Beat (couldn't notice if it was a petrol or diesel one). the accident took place just before the ramp of the Devarabisenahalli overbridge (Intel). The car was banged badly in the front and back too. Glass and metal shards strewn all across the spot. A dead dog, smashed to its bones. Most probably the beat lost control to avoid heating the dog. No human casualty I hope.

Question to fellow members : In a situation when a stay dog comes suddenly in front of the car in a crowded street/overbridge, is it advisable NOT to try to avoid it & loose control ; rather keep the steering straight and pray that the stray gets away in time ?
Guys, I was involved in this traffic pile up. It was pretty horrific.
No the dog wasnt the reason for the accident.

So this is what happened. On the flyover there was a maroon Mitsubishi Lancer Cedia, who was driving like a maniac, he overtook me from left (must have been at a speed of 80 km/hr) and then cut across a grey swift ZXi in front of me and came in the extreme right lane. Right infront of the Eco Space techpark, as the morons removed the stones from the divider there, and the people want to save few drops of petrol and take a U-Turn to get into the tech park, this was always a recipe for disaster I always though about it. So today the law of averages caught on me and it happened. The moron in the maroon Mitsubishi lancer Cedia immediately stopped there for taking a U-TURN, the swift infront of me braked hard, I literally stood on the brakes, ABS Kicked in and I stopped, and just then BANG, 1 second more BANG again, another fraction of a second BANG again (this one being the worst). The Chevy BEAT was behind me, nothing happened to the swift infront of me, the chevy Beat banged me from behind, he wasnt wearing a seat belt and when I came out of the car he had blood on his forehead. But what happened behind him was no less than horrific. The bike fellow banged the beat and a BUS (some private company bus) banged the bike fellow. He was crushed between the bust and the Beat. I am still shaking as I report this. Possibly the bike guy lost his life all because of the moronic activity of that Maroon Cedia. I got that guy, I asked him what did he do, his answer was "I gave the indicator". I was in a state of shock, didn't argue with him. Went to the cop, asked him if he needs me to be there at the police station, he asked me to leave since I wasnt directly involved with the bike guy.

Here is the pic of what is left out of the boot of my car
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-photo.jpg  

Last edited by Rehaan : 31st July 2012 at 10:32. Reason: activity of that Maroon swift >=> activity of that Maroon Cedia
evilshantanu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2012, 12:45   #11672
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilshantanu View Post
So this is what happened. On the flyover there was a maroon Mitsubishi Lancer Cedia, who was driving like a maniac, he overtook me from left (must have been at a speed of 80 km/hr) and then cut across a grey swift ZXi in front of me and came in the extreme right lane. Right infront of the Eco Space techpark, as the morons removed the stoned from the divider there, and the people want to save few drops of petrol and take a U-Turn to get into the tech park, this was always a recipe for disaster I always though about it. So today the law of averages caught on me and it happened. The moron in the maroon Mitsubishi lancer Cedia immediately stopped there for taking a U-TURN, the swift infront of me braked hard, I literally stood on the brakes, ABS Kicked in and I stooped, and just then BANG, 1 second more BANG again, another fraction of a second BANG again (this one being the worst). The Chevy BEAT was behind me, nothing happened to the swift infront of me, the chevy Beat banged me from behind, he wasnt wearing a seat belt and when I came out of the car he had blood on his forehead. But what happened behind him was no less than horrific. The bike fellow banged the beat and a BUS (some private company bus) banged the bike fellow. He was crushed between the bust and the Beat. I am still shaking as I report this. Possibly the bike guy lost his life all because of the moronic activity of that Maroon swift. I got that guy, I asked him what did he do, his answer was "I gave the indicator". I was in a state of shock, didn't argue with him. Went to the cop, asked him if he needs me to be there at the police station, he asked me to leave since I wasnt directly involved with the bike guy.
Thank god that you are safe and nothing more than a damaged luggage compartment - life is more valuable. Take some time off sir. You will feel better. Get some sleep first.

Horrible and unimaginable moronism by the lancer. By the way what did the swift guy meant by "I gave the indicator" - what did he indicate?

Last edited by Rehaan : 31st July 2012 at 10:33. Reason: There was a typo in the original post. It was the Cedia guy who said "i gave the indicator"
Old 27th July 2012, 12:50   #11673
Distinguished - BHPian

Take care Shantanu- get some rest and try to put this behind you.

Your post only reinforces my strong belief that seatbelts save lives. Good for you that you were buckled up.

Cutting across other cars, taking illegal U-turns, driving on the wrong side- all these moronic practices need to go if we are ever to be a civilised country. In this case it seems it was clearly the Cedia guy's fault to have caused the pileup, though the bus cannot be absolved of responsibility for not leaving enough gap between himself and the vehicle in front. The 3-second rule is a valuable help in such situations.

I couldn't bear to see your Vento banged up the way it is: same colour as mine and have been following its story since the day you bought it. Take care, man.
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2012, 12:52   #11674
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
No the dog wasnt the reason for the accident.

Sorry to hear about the incident. Glad to hear that you are fine. Was shocked when I read your report. I know you might be terrified and mad at this moment. Really hard to see the car.

Just keep us updated on the proceedings.

Take rest dude.
Old 27th July 2012, 12:55   #11675
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaKilo View Post
Thank god that you are safe and nothing more than a dent. Take some time off sir. You will feel better. Get some sleep first.

Horrible and unimaginable moronism by the lancer. By the way what did the guy meant by "I gave the indicator" - what did he indicate?
he thinks that after giving an indicator he can get away with anything on the road. That wasnt a legal U-Turn, people just removed the stones so they can save some three drops of petrol

Last edited by Rehaan : 31st July 2012 at 10:34. Reason: Correcting quote
Old 27th July 2012, 12:57   #11676
Senior - BHPian

Really feel bad for the bike guy and you.
The braking distance is just theoretical in our country.

Your car looks like it was something narrow that hit the centre.
Old 27th July 2012, 12:58   #11677
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Really feel bad for the bike guy and you.
The braking distance is just theoretical in our country.

Your car looks like it was something narrow that hit the centre.
I think the Bumper seems that way because of the crush zones...
Old 27th July 2012, 13:00   #11678
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

(...)Here is the pic of what is left out of the boot of my car
Thats a horrible crash. I am glad you are safe. The irony is that the moron in the cedia who was the cause of all this didnt suffer any loss and the innocent man on the bike was crushed. Indian roads are unsafe just because of such idiots.

I would request you to take some time off from work and relax in order to get out of the accident's impact. Take care man!

Last edited by noopster : 27th July 2012 at 13:03.
dZired is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2012, 13:06   #11679
BHPian

Quote:
Shantanu! Thank god you are safe. I have experienced the same pain what you are going through. I put the experience as ' one bad one' behind and moved on.
And as for the car repairs, The Volkswagen guys are very very professional in denting and painting procedures.Actually you yourself won`t be able to tell where the dent was after the repairs.
Cheers!
Abhijeet

Last edited by coriollis : 27th July 2012 at 13:11.
coriollis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2012, 13:17   #11680
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coriollis View Post
Shantanu! Thank god you are safe. I have experienced the same pain what you are going through. I put the experience as ' one bad one' behind and moved on.
And as for the car repairs, The Volkswagen guys are very very professional in denting and painting procedures.Actually you yourself won`t be able to tell where the dent was after the repairs.
Cheers!
Abhijeet
Thanks a lot Abhijeet!
That really helps... I hope they do a good job, thankfully no damages in the engine, just the rear end and the front bumper
Old 27th July 2012, 13:18   #11681
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Oh God thats terrible accident evilshantanu but Thank God you are safe. It has happened right in front of my house!!!

Hope the biker survived. I was once involved in similar situation (but it was very near escape instead of an actual accident). It happened right in front of Innovative multiplex at Marathalli. We had crossed the cut and were building speed when suddenly a minibus decided to swerve in (the right lane from middle one). The indica right in front of me slammed its brakes and so did I. All the while I had my eyes fixed on the rear-view mirror. Thankfully there was no rear-ending the Indica but the biker behind me tried to overtake instead of braking (he was right next to the divider in the rightmost lane) and he tried to cut from the left. He misjudged and hit my rear lamp (I think his handle or maybe handbrake hit it) and then lost control of his bike and I saw his bike wildly shaking overtook my car from left and finally it fall down! It was pure luck that nobody overrun him! There was so much traffic on the road and all cars/buses accelerating (as we had crossed that cut there is for U-turn). The biker came over and apologized and I let it go there but I was left shaking really. What if he had come under my car or some other car/bus!
joslicx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2012, 13:26   #11682
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
That is a real bad one for your car Shantanu and glad to know that you are safe. There is no dearth of such morons on city's roads these days who think they are the only one on the road and don't care to brake hard if they are about to miss that tempting U-Turn.

I had a near miss last year on BETL when an idiot in a Swift turned right to descend towards EC Phase 1 and realized it was a wrong turn and then started to drive back (Not in reverse) but in opposite direction in full speed. As soon as I took the turn towards Phase 1, I saw him just a few feet away from my car. For the usual reflex of checking my RVMs that I had, I quickly had a look and swiftly changed the lane to escape a head-on collision. All this on a curved descent of the BETL!

Just yesterday, another Idiot realizes that he had to go below the Silk Board flyover and Jams his brakes right when he begins to get onto the flyover. A Sumo, Then me and and another Figo went helter skelter avoiding by inches.

I seriously fail to understand why do drivers want to take that last moment decision, that too when doing speeds nearing 80kmph. Even when I am driving on highways, If for a reason I missed that Fuel station or a eatery, I wont mind looking for another one further or driving for the next 3 kilometers to take the next available U-Turn safely.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th July 2012, 13:27   #11683
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
(...)

Oh My God! That must have felt terrible, being involved in a pile-up like that!

I feel really sorry for the bike guy. Hope he is OK, or maybe should I say, God bless his soul?
Definitely not sorry for the driver in the Beat - he should have worn his seat belt. And did anyone tell the moronic maroon Mitsubishi driver that he (possibly) caused a death, or at best serious injury?

Take care @evilshantanu, drive safe, hope you are feeling better. And don't worry about the car - really - it is repairable. And since you are OK, any damage to wallet is also repairable

Last edited by noopster : 27th July 2012 at 14:24. Reason: Please do not quote a large post in its entirety- it causes inconvenience to our small screen users
KiloAlpha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2012, 14:01   #11684
Distinguished - BHPian

Hard to digest this but thank God you are safe.

I would request you to take some time off from work and relax , all the rest will fall in place.

Take care!
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2012, 14:20   #11685
BHPian

Utterly horrible experience. Thankfully nothing happened to you. Just one person's carelessness and selfish attitude somebody else pays with his life. That maroon Cedia guy should be booked for rash and dangerous driving anyway even if he indicated. It is pitiable to see how these people care little about others. They should be put behind bars. Hope the cops at least charge him for reckless and dangerous driving.
samarjitdhar is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed