Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2012, 19:56   #11716
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
I would blame the bus driver. Knowing that it's an old TATA bus with pathetic brakes, he should have known that it's going to take some distance and calf-muscles to anchor the thing.

A good driver will always drive his vehicles taking into account its limitations.
True. Moreover, the bus driver is having a superb view of what is happening long ahead.
thoma is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th July 2012, 21:07   #11717
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilshantanu View Post
So this is what happened...who was driving like a maniac, he overtook me from left (must have been at a speed of 80 km/hr) and then cut across a grey swift ZXi in front of me and came in the extreme right lane.
True, wicked morons like this murderer in the maroon motorcar are the catalysts for many an accidents today. They initiate a catastrophe and move out scot-free.
Today law doesn't deal with initiators of such cataclysm.
Old 28th July 2012, 21:23   #11718
BHPian

Spotted this on NICE road, Bangalore near to Begur in the E-City Direction. Details not known..
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_6898.jpg  

Old 28th July 2012, 21:54   #11719
Senior - BHPian

I have once almost been that biker.

Rightmost lane, end of nizamuddin bridge just before akshardham intersection.

a stupid DTC bus took a U turn at the light (not allowed) while green. Everyone almost piled up. I was rear ended by a qualis. Broke 4 metatarsal bones in the ankle - all courtesy the stupid bus guy who was atleast 100M+ away for me to have done anything. Just thank my luck to this day - it could have been MUCH worse!
Old 29th July 2012, 01:26   #11720
BHPian

I was driving to town and took the sealink at 9pm. After paying the toll, I stuck to the left most lane. In the distance, I see a car parked on the left side with hazard's flashing. But, suddenly in the right most lane I see a silver Civic whose front is wrecked. I immediately slow down and see that the car is facing the wrong direction and the bonnet etc is completely smashed. The whole front end had taken a massive beating. It appears that the driver was speeding in the right most lane and lost control and rammed into the right side concrete wall and must have spun which explains the car facing the wrong direction. The road was wet at the time so it is possible he could have skid while changing lanes or just been swerving and lost control. Anyway, there was quite major damage to the front end of the car though it appeared that the passenger area was unharmed. Sorry no picture possible as I dared not stop on the sealink like many other stupid guys just for the sake of posting the picture here.
Old 29th July 2012, 12:48   #11721
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot Abhijeet!
I hope they do a good job, thankfully no damages in the engine, just the rear end and the front bumper
First of all, thanks to God that you are safe. I passed through the spot around 9 am but did not see anything amiss. This accident would have happened after that I guess. I came to know about this when my colleagues who come late to office started talking about the horrible incident and the way the bikes were lying crushed by the bus.

I think Volkswagen would have taken your car to the MG road service center. How much cost did they estimate? Hopefully, they will not charge you much as a new car !!

Last edited by B103 : 29th July 2012 at 12:53.
Old 30th July 2012, 10:09   #11722
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
I'm not sure if I agree with this.
I would blame the bus driver. Knowing that it's an old TATA bus with pathetic brakes, he should have known that it's going to take some distance and calf-muscles to anchor the thing.
If a person hits you from the back, it's ALWAYS that persons fault. Poor brakes is never an excuse. He should know how much distance is required to stop his vehicle without getting close to or hitting the vehicle in front of him. If he doesn't do that, he was either tailing the vehicle or simply not concentrating as much as he should have.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
True. Moreover, the bus driver is having a superb view of what is happening long ahead.
Just read the following post in BTP facebook page.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater
BTP says "During discussion police told that two wheelers must go in extreme left which i didn't know." Now, if a two-wheeler gets rear-ended on the right most lane, isn't it considered both parties' fault if the above statement is true? Like the rear ending law, where the vehicle at the back is always at fault, shouldn't it be the case that a two-wheeler on the right most lane is always breaking the law? I just wanted to clarify what BTP said is right or wrong. Other members can help me out.
When I drive, I leave enough space between my car and the car in front of me and many times, I have to encounter people who just see the gap and poke their vehicle in-between. Then, I need to increase the distance further, only to find more idiots in between. At times, I need to admit that it gets frustrating. It's easy to point finger at one party, but its all of us, the driving community, who make things worse.
(Disclaimer: I, in no way support unsafe driving. The above is my observation by driving on Bangalore roads for the past 10 years)
A350XWB is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th July 2012, 11:09   #11723
Senior - BHPian

8-month pregnant banker dies in Noida car crash

Full Article & photograph of the damaged Car here:
8-month pregnant banker dies in Noida car crash - The Times of India

Quoted from above article:

The couple was coming from Indirapuram after attending a birthday party. The victim was identified as Anupriya Nagarajan, 27, who was sitting in the front next to husband Naveen Nagarajan who was driving the Volkswagen Polo. They had married last year.

The Nagarajan family had shifted to Noida around five years back. Natarajan Nagarajan, Anupriya's father-in-law and a retired chief engineer of CPWD in New Delhi, said she had promised not to travel after attending the birthday party.

"She was supposed not to go out of the house from Sunday onwards as she was in an advanced stage of pregnancy. We had a ritual fixed for next Sunday when she would have completed eight months," said Natarajan. "While going out on Saturday evening, she said she would not go out again after coming back home. She never came back."

Unquote.

Guy, above is heartbreaking... Please drive safe.

Thanks,
Old 30th July 2012, 12:55   #11724
BHPian

Pic of the above accident

Note: Airbags, bullbars, reverse camera, tint, abs, upsize tyres bla bla bla may not always save lives, seat belts probably do.

Last edited by aerohit : 30th July 2012 at 12:59.
aerohit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2012, 12:59   #11725
BHPian

Quote:
I have decided that I am not going to just sit on it. I am going to BTP ( Bangalore traffic police) on Monday and filing an RTI as to why no permanent divider is built in this stretch after all, BTP knows the danger everyday. Also am going to file another RTI with BBMP on what is the plan for a sky walk in front of such an important techpark on one of the most busiest road. Pedestrians are exposed to the mercy of fate and chance everyday here.

Absolute RESPECT , Shantanu. What you have embarked on is commendable.

Thats a remarkable thing to do. I have been part of many a pile ups in that exact spot. Absolute lack of planning, and insensitive drivers have caused an innocent biker his life.
mannubhai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th July 2012, 13:07   #11726
Team-BHP Support

Shantanu, I would also ask whether a case has been charged against the driver. The fact that this case was not mentioned in the papers is my guess that no charge was made due to "undue" influence
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2012, 13:35   #11727
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannubhai View Post
Absolute RESPECT , Shantanu. What you have embarked on is commendable.

Thats a remarkable thing to do. I have been part of many a pile ups in that exact spot. Absolute lack of planning, and insensitive drivers have caused an innocent biker his life.
Thanks! Will start another thread on the developments on that front

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Shantanu, I would also ask whether a case has been charged against the driver. The fact that this case was not mentioned in the papers is my guess that no charge was made due to "undue" influence
Thanks for pointing this out Ajit, I totally missed this part.
I went to the police station again to find out what happened to the Bus and Bus driver, I hear from the friendly Pan wala near the police station that the Bus was let off after taking some bribes and doing some settlements
Old 30th July 2012, 20:36   #11728
BHPian

My office is right next to Eco Space, And I usually travel by cab and incase I take my (car/bike) I always go under Intel fly over and join the service lane. This practice has been from past year.

I have also observed they do not have the permanent divider to enable vehicles from Accenture/Eco Space to save few drops of fuel... and this just my opinion, no offense to anyone working from the above mentioned companies.
Old 30th July 2012, 20:53   #11729
BHPian

I came across this horrific incident while we were going to Ganapatipule couple of days back. A new Swift collided head on with a truck on Shimoga - Harihara highway. I have no idea how it happened because the impact happened between the left side of the car and the left side of the truck as well. But the most astonishing fact about this incident was that there was no casualty at all.
The person driving the Swift was not the owner but the driver and there was no passenger in the car. Had there been a front passenger in the Swift, then it would've been a different story altogether. Stopped our car and spoke to the driver who was shocked to say the least. He wasn't able to explain me how the incident happened but told me that he "WORE" the seat belt (which definitely saved his life) . He was busy in narrating this accident to his owner. Spoke to a few locals, but even they were unsure about how it happened as it occurred very early in the morning.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-miniimg_0045.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-miniimg_0046.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-miniimg_0047.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-miniimg_0048.jpg

As always, the truck had just a slight fender bender
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-miniimg_0052.jpg
rohittunga is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th July 2012, 21:15   #11730
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A350XWB View Post
When I drive, I leave enough space between my car and the car in front of me and many times, I have to encounter people who just see the gap and poke their vehicle in-between. Then, I need to increase the distance further, only to find more idiots in between. At times, I need to admit that it gets frustrating.
As I have said several times, if an inconsiderate idiot barges into your braking space do fall back as you can't prove a point banging the idiot's rear.
One may be tempted to honk and outwit the so called intruder but the gumption to keep cool, differentiates a good driver from the bad.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks