Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2012, 21:23   #11731
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohittunga View Post
As always, the truck had just a slight fender bender
Attachment 963646
It seemed that the truck hit a divider as only the bottom part has suffered the damage. The front guard in the truck saved some damage.
In same place, the damage to the swift seems unrepairable. The swift is highly damaged compared to the fender damage in the truck!

To me, what I can see from my tiny screened phone, it looks like the swift was T-boned by the truck. The left is badly damaged while the front looks like it has bore the impact of the T-bone.
Old 30th July 2012, 21:57   #11732
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carzone View Post
It seemed that the truck hit a divider as only the bottom part has suffered the damage. The front guard in the truck saved some damage.
In same place, the damage to the swift seems unrepairable. The swift is highly damaged compared to the fender damage in the truck!

To me, what I can see from my tiny screened phone, it looks like the swift was T-boned by the truck. The left is badly damaged while the front looks like it has bore the impact of the T-bone.
No, tome it looks like the Swift was overtaking a vehicle and assumed he would make it in time, but when he realised that he will not be able to do it, he might have cut across to the right of the truck to get out of the road on to the footpath to avoid a bang, but ended up banging his left and towards the right of the truck.
Old 31st July 2012, 08:00   #11733
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
One may be tempted to honk and outwit the so called intruder but the gumption to keep cool, differentiates a good driver from the bad.
I totally agree. But come to Bangalore, commute on outer ring road daily to work and back, you will realize that the number system is not sufficient to count the smart people on the road. You yield and keep a safe distance, you keep yielding and waiting for eternity (you actually cannot move from the place you started). You cannot literally keep the safe distance (by this, I mean the 2s rule) in the traffic over here. I'm yet to see a single person doing that (I have driven in Europe), including cars with TBhp stickers, where the 2s rule is being followed. Yes, the driving community can make a difference, but nobody seems to be bothered.
I also agree that the definition of safe distance varies from person to person, but as a thumb rule, I have taken the 2s rule, where there is enough margin so that the person driving behind does not have his adrenalin level above the green limit.
Anyway, we are going off topic here. So, I will stop it at that.

Back to topic, I saw the notorious break in the median open up again yesterday morning, closed yesterday evening and open again today morning. Also, the underpass near JPMC has the lane dividers thrown around (cement blocks on the road) and it's a disaster waiting to happen.

Last edited by A350XWB : 31st July 2012 at 08:03.
A350XWB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2012, 10:08   #11734
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeshchand View Post
No, tome it looks like the Swift was overtaking a vehicle and assumed he would make it in time, but when he realised that he will not be able to do it, he might have cut across to the right of the truck to get out of the road on to the footpath to avoid a bang, but ended up banging his left and towards the right of the truck.
+1 to that. You took words out of my mouth rajesh.

The damage to the swift is horrible. Swift is a safe and strong car but this accident shows that the car was doing three digit speeds when it collided. I am glad the driver survived. I've seen the cabin of the swift is capable of absorbing the impact during accidents.
Old 31st July 2012, 12:32   #11735
BHPian

Quote:
I have seen slightly different cases in many parts of rural karnataka.

Consider this: The truck must have been parked in the wrong direction ( head facing the incoming traffic).The speeding swift must have encountered an oncoming vehicle and this parked lorry at the same place at the same time. If this parked lorry had occupied even a few centimeters of the available road, this would cause such a disaster. The speeding swift had no option but to squeeze through the narrow space available between this parked lorry and the bigger vehicle from the opposite direction. Well, the swift driver almost avoided it but for that minor section of the fender which caused negligible damage to the parked lorry, but caused huge damage to the swift.

My theory could be completely wrong but i have come across such accidents in rural karnataka wherein the route cause was the wrongly parked lorry.
Old 31st July 2012, 12:34   #11736
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A350XWB View Post

Back to topic, I saw the notorious break in the median open up again yesterday morning, closed yesterday evening and open again today morning. Also, the underpass near JPMC has the lane dividers thrown around (cement blocks on the road) and it's a disaster waiting to happen.
I drove that road today morning. I so badly hope, that this spot doesnt picture again in this thread. Sadly but truly, its a hope against hope.

Authorities have no focus, and idiots rule the road.

Just couple of days post losing a life on that spot, they are back to square 1.

Old 31st July 2012, 12:47   #11737
Senior - BHPian

Drunk MBA student runs over two pedestrians in Mumbai

Full article here: Drunk MBA student runs over two pedestrians in Mumbai | NDTV.com

A 24-year-old MBA student was arrested for allegedly ran over two pedestrians in suburban Andheri under the influence of alcohol, police said today.
When he reached the Vijay Nagar bridge at Marol, he suddenly lost control of the vehicle and ran over two pedestrians - 50-year-old Meen Bahadur Chatri and 45-year-old Himlal Khanal.
"Sharma's preliminary medical examination has confirmed that he was driving under the influence of alcohol," the officer said.
Unquote.

Sometimes I wonder how many more innocent lives will be lost before Drunk Driving stops. 99% of the time, it is innocent people who lose their live or limbs & Drunk Driver lives stong to get bail & continue with his life normally. My heart cries for the family members of the victims in above case.

Thanks,
Old 31st July 2012, 19:28   #11738
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilshantanu View Post
he thinks that after giving an indicator he can get away with anything on the road. That wasnt a legal U-Turn, people just removed the stones so they can save some three drops of petrol
Reminds me of those oncoming vehicles who think they can do whatever they want because they flick the high beam on. As if that high beam is going to make the brakes on my bike/ car more effective or perhaps make my vehicle disappear.
Unfortunately there are so many breaks on all highways, its just a free for all. I can only think it will get worse as the vehicles crossing from such breaks will bring a lot os muck/ slush onto the road surface which will cause risks to other vehicles long after they have gone their merry way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
The biker came over and apologized and I let it go there but I was left shaking really. What if he had come under my car or some other car/bus!
Sorry to be skeptical, but why are these bikers in the fast/ right lane? are they also trying to take that u turn?
I would have thought they would be safer on the left'er lanes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilshantanu View Post
I have decided that I am not going to just sit on it. I am going to BTP ( Bangalore traffic police) on Monday and filing an RTI as to why no permanent divider is built in this stretch after all, BTP knows the danger everyday.
Shantanu, I am glad you are safe. dont worry about material damage, it will be repaired. It would be definitely a step in the correct direction if you can help file a RTI and get some things moving. It may be advantageous to talk to a local politician/ corporator through any contacts you may have. Sometimes they do help.

Good on ya there. I am sure this will save life and limb for some other unsuspecting soul.
Old 31st July 2012, 19:53   #11739
BHPian

Quote:
What made me think it as a T-bone accident is the drag marks of the swift on the road in this pic.

I might be wrong but just my thought!
Old 31st July 2012, 20:09   #11740
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What made me think it as a T-bone accident is the drag marks of the swift on the road in this pic.

+1

That single item rules out the parked truck hypothesis IMHO
Old 31st July 2012, 20:38   #11741
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

But could it be T-Boned on the left side of both vehicles? unless and otherwise the car went to the extreme right to avoid the truck and in the process misjudged its own speed or the speed of the truck. Normally T-Bone should have happened to the middle/rear half, but in this case its the whole left side starting the H/L's. I feel, it could mostly be as what rajeshchand had guessed.

Edit: relooking at the picture carefully, the main impact point seems to be around the left headlight/wheel zone and rest seem to be the force of impact being transferred over the rest of the body due to the inertia possessed by the vehicle and their relative velocities.

Last edited by AlphaKilo : 31st July 2012 at 20:42.
Old 31st July 2012, 22:15   #11742
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaKilo View Post
But could it be T-Boned on the left side of both vehicles? unless and otherwise the car went to the extreme right to avoid the truck and in the process misjudged its own speed or the speed of the truck. Normally T-Bone should have happened to the middle/rear half, but in this case its the whole left side starting the H/L's. I feel, it could mostly be as what rajeshchand had guessed.

Edit: relooking at the picture carefully, the main impact point seems to be around the left headlight/wheel zone and rest seem to be the force of impact being transferred over the rest of the body due to the inertia possessed by the vehicle and their relative velocities.
Good point AlphaKilo. Now it makes sense about rajeshchand's theory. Seems it might be the case, nothing can be made sure though by just looking at the pics.

I still doubt those drag marks of the car and the car standing sideways. By T-bone I meant that the truck had hit the front left of the car and not exact T-bone. Hope you get it. Now, observing the ruck carefully, the possibility is almost eliminated because then it should have damaged the whole front of the truck except only the right.
Also, only the bottom part of the truck is damaged and compared to the swift, it looks very less damage. I wonder it had hit the swift!
Old 1st August 2012, 10:25   #11743
BHPian

Puttur : Congress Leader Bondala Jagannath Shetty (38) Dies in Accident

Pics by Dayananda Kukkaje
Daijiworld Media Network - Puttur

Puttur, Jul 31 : In a shocking news, Bondala Jagannath Shetty, a Congress leader from Bantwal-Puttur region who had held the DK district Youth Congress president's post from 2001 to 2009, died on the spot when his Fortuner SUV collided with a gas tanker near Panemangalore on Tuesday, July 31 at around 11 pm.
An ace politician in the making, Bondala was popular not only around Puttur taluk, but all over the DK district for his selfless nature and social service.
He contested the 2008 assembly elections and lost to Dr Mallika Prasad of BJP by about 1,500 votes.

In 1999, he became the general secretary of Karnataka Youth Congress committee, and general secretary of Karnataka state youth INTUC the same year. In 2000 he held the post of conveyor of KSRTC Employees Union (INTUC) Mangalore Division, and went on to become president of DK Youth Congress in 2001, a post he held till 2009.
38-year-old Shetty leaves behind a daughter, wife and a number of well-wishers.

Note from Team-BHP Support : Please note that it is imperative for you to upload pictures directly to the Team-BHP Server. Please click here to view our simple help article on uploading pictures.

Last edited by Rehaan : 2nd August 2012 at 13:44. Reason: Please take a look at the mod note that has been added to the end of your post.
alstonlobo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st August 2012, 10:49   #11744
Senior - BHPian

That Fortuner is crushed like a sardine can. Definitely a case of over speeding. The T-fort should have been travelling well in excess of 100KMPH to have such an impact which has reduced it to this shape.

People need to understand just because they are in a car with airbags and abs, doesn't absolve from getting killed if they push the envelope too far.

There is no alternative to safe and defensive driving. You maybe 100% correct in following the traffic rules, but if the other driver is even 1% wrong, you both will suffer.
speedmiester is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 1st August 2012, 11:04   #11745
MAS
Senior - BHPian

This is a very sad incident. Death is something that is inevitable, but dying in this way is very sad.

The Front Fortuner (face-lifted one) has been crushed beyond recognition. This is a clear case of over-speeding (easily over 120 kmph) and losing control. I guess the rains would have added to the loss of control.

Guys, please be careful while driving and tell your drivers to exercise caution and give them strict speed limits even if the highway is empty.

Most Viewed