Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2012, 17:28   #11821
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
Thank god for that. A bit of good news in an otherwise sad thread. Thanks for sharing.

A welcome relief to all who were involved in this mishap.
Thankfully alive, but it sounds as if he was seriously injured.

Thanks to IronH4WK for passing on the news
Old 10th August 2012, 17:43   #11822
Senior - BHPian

IronH4wk, please pass on to that biker (if he is reachabel through your friend) that he had some well wishers here too.
Wish him a complete recovery.

I am sure Shantanu must be very happy to hear no fatalities!

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsh View Post
Why did JVLR give headache once again today? Spotted this in the afternoon. The tempo seemed to be coming in reverse direction and caused the whole situation with the Swift getting damaged in process.
What the heck? It is morons like these who should be arrested and tried under attempt to murder.

Last edited by selfdrive : 10th August 2012 at 17:47.
selfdrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2012, 18:25   #11823
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
What the heck? It is morons like these who should be arrested and tried under attempt to murder.
Nah, Police is busy catching up the cruel crimes (tint violation) than these moronic trucks/cabs/buses(school buses esp).
Old 10th August 2012, 19:12   #11824
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alstonlobo View Post
Bantwal: Four Injured in Serial Accident Near B C Road

Daijiworld Media Network - Bantwal (NM)

Bantwal, Aug 5: Four persons were injured in a road accident that took place at Brahmar-Kutlu near B C Road here on Sunday August 5.

The injured were P K Rao of KIOCL, his wife Vidya, their daughter and the driver identified as Omkar. Among them Rao is said to be serious.

The accident occured when a speeding CPC bus plying from Bangalore to Mangalore rammed into their Ford Figo. An Innova car which was behind the bus also rammed into it.

Soon after the accident, the driver of the bus fled the place and is still absconding. It is said that there was heavy traffic in the ghat section, and as a result, he was speeding to reach Mangalore on time.

The locals assisted in rescuing the injured from the mangled car and rushed them to Father Muller hospital in the city.
I saw this as I was on my way to Mangalore to attend a colleagues wedding. As you mentioned, we were stuck in traffic jam for about 3 hours in the night, and possibly the bus was speeding to make up for the lost time.

on our way back on Monday afternoon we saw this at the same exact spot.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_2726j.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_2727-800x533.jpg

but the fact is that, the Figo in the first instance and the bus in the second instance (above) were on the wrong lane. there is a section which is dug up / patchy and vehicles get into the wrong lane to avoid that. It could've been avoided by taking the patchy portion (about 250-300 mts) rather than driving head on with oncoming traffic.
Old 11th August 2012, 17:18   #11825
Senior - BHPian

I was wondering about the huge front glasses of modern busses. They seem to be a safety hazard. These pictures are taken from the past 3 days posts. They fall out, and I believe can be outright dangerous when brakes are suddenly applied and people/luggauge hurtles onto the windshield. Maybe these glasses have to be fixed properly, and maybe they should be toughened. I don't know the solution, thats for the design and safety authorities to look into, but there are concerns here.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-glass1.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-glass2.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-glass3.jpg  

harit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2012, 19:54   #11826
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
I was wondering about the huge front glasses of modern busses. They seem to be a safety hazard. These pictures are taken from the past 3 days posts. They fall out, and I believe can be outright dangerous when brakes are suddenly applied and people/luggauge hurtles onto the windshield. Maybe these glasses have to be fixed properly, and maybe they should be toughened. I don't know the solution, thats for the design and safety authorities to look into, but there are concerns here.

Cheers harit
Your concerns are quite valid.

I think these designs have caught on ever since Volvo started doing business here. Many coach builders have blatantly copied their designs. I presume a company like Volvo would have adopted such designs after doing doing a lot of research on their safety. They may even have some minimum specifications for the glasses. Don't know if the copycats copy these specifications too.

I've seen many Volvos driving around with cracked windscreens which have been taped up with brown packing tape. I am sure they are a serious safety hazard as even a small bird hit can cause these windscreens to smash at high speed and possibly injure the driver and thereby putting all the passengers and fellow road users at risk.
Old 12th August 2012, 23:10   #11827
BHPian

Toughened! No they are laminated. The first objective is to reduce the number of blind spots for the driver and hence such big screens on Volvo buses. More safety for people outside the bus, presuming people inside the bus are buckled up.

What the copycats do is something totally different. You have to visit so called factories of those body builders to understand what I mean. Even Azad, Sutlej, JCBL have miles to go. Road side coach builders, it is another story
Old 13th August 2012, 16:39   #11828
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
have an update on this from a good friend of mine (thanks Santosh). there were no fatalities (thank God for that)!

an account from one of the bikers involved in the crash.
The foolishness is not over yet. People will never learn.

I was on that spot today noon. Though there has been significant attempt to make a semi-solid median, few stones have been moved into the road, to create space for bikes to cross. The biker ahead of me, was going to take the left turn, to go under the fly-over ( or so I thought), before he glanced and saw the gap !! Unbelievable, with out a flash of an eye lid, he turned right. I had kept more than enough space behind him and me. He stops at the illegal gap, raises his hand in apology (probably!) and gives me a sheepish smile.

Thank you, who ever you were, for not coming under my car. Next time pls hope, you dont have a 3 decade old tata bus behind you, when you do embark on such moronic stunts
mannubhai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th August 2012, 17:22   #11829
BHPian

Sorry for the back to back posts.

I think this did not find a mention here. Another case of erratic driving by a part-time driver claims 9 lives
===================

9 killed, 13 hurt as van plunges into 20-feet gorge

The accident happened around 5.15pm near Indira Colony on Sathanur-Channapatna Road. The Tata Ace (KA 41 A 262) had come for about a kilometre from the temple when it came over a 15-foot-wide bridge. The driver is said to have swerved to the right and hit the bridge's parapet wall before the vehicle plunged into the gorge.

9 killed, 13 hurt as van plunges into 20-feet gorge - The Times of India
Old 13th August 2012, 17:27   #11830
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsh View Post
Why did JVLR give headache once again today? Spotted this in the afternoon. The tempo seemed to be coming in reverse direction and caused the whole situation with the Swift getting damaged in process.
Wow.
I am really sorry for the Swift guy.
Did the RTO fine the Tempo at all???
Old 13th August 2012, 17:52   #11831
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Wow.
I am really sorry for the Swift guy.
Did the RTO fine the Tempo at all???
The traffic police did seem to take the tempo guys to task but to what extent could not be judged from distance. Really hope the Swift guys did not get injured. But Swift had to be towed away and so it must have suffered a lot in the incident.
Old 13th August 2012, 17:59   #11832
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannubhai View Post
Sorry for the back to back posts.

I think this did not find a mention here. Another case of erratic driving by a part-time driver claims 9 lives
===================

9 killed, 13 hurt as van plunges into 20-feet gorge

The accident happened around 5.15pm near Indira Colony on Sathanur-Channapatna Road. The Tata Ace (KA 41 A 262) had come for about a kilometre from the temple when it came over a 15-foot-wide bridge. The driver is said to have swerved to the right and hit the bridge's parapet wall before the vehicle plunged into the gorge.

9 killed, 13 hurt as van plunges into 20-feet gorge - The Times of India
Is the Ace supposed to carry 20 people. It was a goods carrier too. The low speed limits in India I guess are for this reason. So many of these people race with such vehicles. These are built without any safety measures (and pollution control) just to have a presence in the market to make money.
Old 13th August 2012, 18:56   #11833
BHPian

Udupi: Auto Driver's Negligence Kills 21-year-old at Manipal

Udupi, Aug 13: A youngster was killed in an accident that occured at Laxmindranagar, Manipal here on Sunday August 12 at around 11.10 pm.
The deceased has been identified as Sharat Kumar (21), son of Jayram Acharya and resident of Kodankur village, Nittoor. He was a former student of Milagres College, Kallianpur.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1.jpg
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-2.jpg
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-3.jpg
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-4.jpg

The accident occured when he along with his friend Suraj were returning to Udupi from a restaurant in Manipal by bike. Suraj was seated behind while Sharat was riding.
Near Hirain wine shop, an auto rickshaw which was in front of them is said to have suddenly made a turn at high speed without noticing their bike. Sharat hit the auto rickshaw and fell on to a divider. He died on the way to hospital.
Suraj escaped with minor injuries. The bike was completely smashed.
Manipal police have registered a case of negligent driving against auto rickshaw driver Johnny.

__________________________________________________ _____

Manipal: One person has died due to a Bike and Auto rickshaw collision on the Manipal road on Sunday night around 11pm on August 12, 2012.

The deceased has been identified as Sharat Kumar (21), son of Jayram Acharya resident of Nittoor.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-5.jpg
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-6.jpg
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-7.jpg
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-8.jpg

Sharath Kumar and his friend Sooraj having dined at a restaurant in Manipal were heading back to Udupi, during which at Laxmindra Nagar, a auto-rickshaw coming from Kamakshi Temple road entered the main road hitting Sharath's motorbike. Due to The impact Sharath who was riding the motorbike lost control over his bike and was knocked to the ground, where he sustained severe head injuries. Sharath died while he was being taken to the hospital. The pillion rider Sooraj, who was injured in the accident is recovering at a local hospital.
Its been reported that the reason for the accident was the negligence of the auto-rickshaw driver, a case has been registered in Manipal Police Station.
Old 13th August 2012, 19:00   #11834
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alstonlobo View Post
Udupi: Auto Driver's Negligence Kills 21-year-old at Manipal

RIP young soul .

But strangely, looking at the condition of that bike, looks like a high speed crash. IMO
Old 13th August 2012, 19:28   #11835
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannubhai View Post
RIP young soul .

But strangely, looking at the condition of that bike, looks like a high speed crash. IMO
+1.

may the deceased RIP.
It really seems as a high speed crash. The front wheel of the bike has come off the frame. Looks like the bike was speeding a lot above the speed limit.
Can be wrong here.

Most Viewed