Old 13th August 2012, 21:33   #11837
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive
RIP to the deceased.

Questions:
- Looks like a speeding Pulsar?
- Rider not wearing a helmet?
In Manipal,i did not see many people wearing helmets.I also had one but used it very less(i acknowledge my fault).Also manipal has lots and lots of bikes and lots and lots of crashes.I have seen people coming at odd hours with all the possible injuries sustained due to bike accidents on my trauma duty days.I even wrote to the authorities about helmet rule implementation but nothing happened.Last when i visited in May 12,things were pretty much the same.Young-careless-alcohol-speed-->all make a deadly cocktail.
Old 14th August 2012, 10:25   #11838
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

I have seen lots of riders in udupi/manipal without helmets . Most of the youngsters avoid it. Also the rain in the past few days would not have helped with the brakes!
In any case RIP and hope everyone drives safe. Wear helmets please.
Old 14th August 2012, 11:54   #11839
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carzone View Post
+1.

may the deceased RIP.
It really seems as a high speed crash. The front wheel of the bike has come off the frame. Looks like the bike was speeding a lot above the speed limit.
Can be wrong here.
I totally agree. It looks like the bike hit the auto than vice versa. It takes a lot of force to rip out a bike's front like that. Probably the auto vala misjugded the bike's speed and came in the way.
RIP. A helmet probably could have saved his life. What a waste.

Heard there was an accident on the newly opened Taj Expressway yesterday. The details are sketchy cause the paperwala did not deliver the paper and what I heard from colleagues is five friends in a car out for a joyride. Overspeeding led to the driver losing control and toppling. Two people, a boy and a girl are critical. Anybody has details about this?

It is an exceptionally beutiful piece of road and very inviting to speed up. Here is a picture of mine when I drove on it last month before it was inaugarated.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20120625_104820-copy.jpg  

Old 14th August 2012, 12:00   #11840
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by damanshaheed View Post
It is an exceptionally beutiful piece of road and very inviting to speed up. Here is a picture of mine when I drove on it last month before it was inaugarated.
I think this was opened what a couple of weeks back. Can already see tyre marks on it running across the lanes in the pic that you uploaded. Or is it something else?
Old 14th August 2012, 13:22   #11841
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
In Manipal,i did not see many people wearing helmets.
I think we have all ranted about this at some point or other. It is so simple it should come from within. After all we are saving our own life by using helmets and seatbelts. What is the ego issue in it? Will someone sit in a 360 degree rollercoaster without that safety hatch? If the answer to that is no, then why would they not wear a helmet?
I have also seen such morons who claim it ruins their hair. But given a choice between having hair or head, wouldnt we choose our head?!

Are we really so dumb as a collective that we need a rule to understand helmets are good for us?

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
I think this was opened what a couple of weeks back. Can already see tyre marks on it running across the lanes in the pic that you uploaded. Or is it something else?
Looks like tyre marks extending from the newly laid tar at the bottom edge of the pic. Perhaps thats where someone took a u turn.
I hope no one was doing donuts there!

Last edited by selfdrive : 14th August 2012 at 13:23.
selfdrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2012, 16:45   #11842
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by damanshaheed View Post
Heard there was an accident on the newly opened Taj Expressway yesterday. The details are sketchy cause the paperwala did not deliver the paper and what I heard from colleagues is five friends in a car out for a joyride. Overspeeding led to the driver losing control and toppling. Two people, a boy and a girl are critical. Anybody has details about this?

I read about 2 accidents on E-way in yesterday's newspaper.

The first one was including an esteem, There was a couple in the car, returning from Agra to Noida, around 1 PM in the night, High speed driving, Lost control, car hit the divider, Toppled.

Both of them got injured and were rushed to hospital, Wish them a speedy recovery.

The second one was, Including a Wagonr, 4 college going kids, went for a joy ride on E-way, Took their friends car, Tyre Burst at high speed, Lost control, Car came to a halt after colliding with expressway railing.

All of them got injured and were rushed to hospital in Agra.

There was one more accident, Which included a Santro, As per the toll attendant of toll plaza, where car was parked after the incident, There were 4 people in the Santro, High speed, Lost control, Car collided with expressway railing, Went off the road.

2 people were Dead and 2 were injured. The car was in very sad state after the accident.

I also saw a damaged Indica being towed away, But no idea, How, when and what happened.

Sameer

Last edited by sameerg001 : 14th August 2012 at 16:46.
Old 14th August 2012, 20:11   #11843
BHPian

^^ Looks like all were high speed crashes !!

I have a question , if its OT , mods pls feel free to take it out .

We have speed limits in our roads, say 80 kmph in a highway. The same applies to all cars. Ironically a Reva/nano and a fortuner can accelerate upto 80 kmph.

What logic does it provide to let an low performance car rip at 80 in a highway ? May be a high performance car is in better control at a 100 kmph also .

Should these limits also consider the ability of the car ?
Old 14th August 2012, 20:41   #11844
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannubhai View Post
Other factors like design and condition of the road, traffic conditions & users' knowledge and sincerity towards the traffic rules shall play more important role in deciding the speed limit than the ability of the car. Indians, in majority, have no regards to traffic rules and they are even ignorant of many basic rules. People need to be educated on traffic rules on urgent basis and the speed limit shall be enforced by installing speed governors/limiters in all vehicles till the time at least 50% of the population is aware of these rules!
Old 14th August 2012, 21:35   #11845
Senior - BHPian

There was a white Sumo went over the footpath and hit the pole on Ejipura Junction (blr), saw that at around 6.50am in the morning, looked like it happened just a few minutes back. Couldn't stop to find out more, didn't want to add to the slow moving traffic around that place. Didn't look that bad from very quick view I had, has anyone got any idea!
Old 15th August 2012, 00:08   #11846
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannubhai
^^
I was taught that while one must not exceed the speed limit, the speed must also be appropriate for the conditions. And by conditions, I mean road, weather, traffic, vehicle, driver's perceived skill (discounted, of course - don't we all believe ourselves to Michael Schumacher?)

A very tiny percentage understand what is meant by "appropriate speed". Most of the rest are lucky. For some, luck just ran out
KiloAlpha is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th August 2012, 11:39   #11847
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
It was opened officially on the 9th of August.

Yes they do seem like tire marks. There were trial runs going on and that is how I got a chance to drive on it on my way back from Gangtok.

The drive right now is free and they will start charging toll only from tomorrow

Quote:
I read about 2 accidents on E-way in yesterday's newspaper.

The first one was including an esteem, There was a couple in the car, returning from Agra to Noida, around 1 PM in the night, High speed driving, Lost control, car hit the divider, Toppled.

Both of them got injured and were rushed to hospital, Wish them a speedy recovery.

The second one was, Including a Wagonr, 4 college going kids, went for a joy ride on E-way, Took their friends car, Tyre Burst at high speed, Lost control, Car came to a halt after colliding with expressway railing.

All of them got injured and were rushed to hospital in Agra.

There was one more accident, Which included a Santro, As per the toll attendant of toll plaza, where car was parked after the incident, There were 4 people in the Santro, High speed, Lost control, Car collided with expressway railing, Went off the road.

2 people were Dead and 2 were injured. The car was in very sad state after the accident.

I also saw a damaged Indica being towed away, But no idea, How, when and what happened.
thanks for the update Sameer. Really sad that this happened on the very first day of the opening. I remember that there was a fatal accident on the first day the DND was opened to the public. A Truck which had taken a wrong turn on the DND turned around on the same carriageway and crashed into a family of four out on a joyride, killing all of them on the spot.
Old 15th August 2012, 12:31   #11848
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannubhai View Post
^^ Looks like all were high speed crashes !!

I have a question , if its OT , mods pls feel free to take it out .

We have speed limits in our roads, say 80 kmph in a highway. The same applies to all cars. Ironically a Reva/nano and a fortuner can accelerate upto 80 kmph.

What logic does it provide to let an low performance car rip at 80 in a highway ? May be a high performance car is in better control at a 100 kmph also .

It is not the ability of the car as much as the ability of the driver. A car going at 120kmph travels 2km per min. That is 33.3 meters/second.

A car travelling at 80kmph travels at 1.33km per min, that is 22.2 meters/second.

Difference in between both speeds is 11.1 meters/second that is 37 feet per second. If you calculate 5 seconds as average reaction time/driver before he/she applies corrective action, we are looking at 37*5 = 185 feet.

So a driver at 80kmph has 185 more feet to stop/avoid compared to a driver at 120kmph. If we look at speeds of 150kmph up, the difference is even higher.

A moron at 80kmph is fare more unsafe than a rally driver at 160kmph. However since we have no means of checking for driver's capabilites, we restrict all cars and all drivers to 80kmph.

One interesting point, any speed over 10 mph/16kmph is enough to crush an unprotected human skull. So a byclist at 20kmph if he falls and hits his head will die. Food for thought???
apachelongbow is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 15th August 2012, 13:03   #11849
Senior - BHPian

expressway speed limits are still practical. But what I fail to understand is the 20kmph speed limits on city roads and 40kmph speed limits on NH happening to pass through cities.
Did they copied the 40mph board and put here as 40kmph long time back and it stayed on?
Old 15th August 2012, 15:32   #11850
Senior - BHPian

All for a phone call !!!

This accident happened around 8AM on 11th-Aug. A Sumo veers onto the wrong side of the undivided road and crashes into the fencing of a vacant plot. The owner-driver had leant back to collect his ringing mobile-phone from the rear passenger and this happened in those few seconds. Luckily there was no one on the road and thus no one hurt. Passengers also got off without any injuries.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20120811-09.53.24opti.jpg

The plot is adjacent to our home and was only recently bought by someone for more than a crore and they had just done the barbed-wire fencing last week. They were paid Rs4500 for the damaged fencing-stones, wire etc.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20120811-09.55.48opti.jpg

Apart from the fence, the Sumo also hit a concrete pole (on which runs the Cable line) which fell on the Sumo breaking the windscreen and damaging the front/roof. Luckily speed was low and so the vehicle did not run over the big boulders in the plot.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20120811-09.56.07opti.jpg

Most Viewed