Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th August 2012, 16:09   #11851
BHPian

Re: All for a phone call !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
This accident happened around 8AM on 11th-Aug. A Sumo veers onto the wrong side of the undivided road and crashes into the fencing of a vacant plot. The owner-driver had leant back to collect his ringing mobile-phone from the rear passenger and this happened in those few seconds. Luckily there was no one on the road and thus no one hurt. Passengers also got off without any injuries.
Where is this place Supremebaleno, the place looks very familiar .

Looks to be somewhere near kumbanad thiruvalla.
Old 15th August 2012, 22:12   #11852
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
(discounted, of course - don't we all believe ourselves to Michael Schumacher?)

A very tiny percentage understand what is meant by "appropriate speed". Most of the rest are lucky. For some, luck just ran out
NO I DON'T BELIEVE IN BEING SCHUMI - because I believe I am Aryton Senna or Mika Hakkinnen or Kimi. (If you want to win, you got to have a Finn)

Well we do not have anything called as proper driving training. Hence, we dont know or not care to know the dynamics of fast driving and proper highway etiquettes. If not never, I wish Govt. of India brings in the reform in Licencing and makes training to drive on Highways, city roads and SH's as a part of driving training and licencing test.

Last edited by AlphaKilo : 15th August 2012 at 22:17.
AlphaKilo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2012, 23:03   #11853
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaKilo

NO I DON'T BELIEVE IN BEING SCHUMI - because I believe I am Aryton Senna or Mika Hakkinnen or Kimi. (If you want to win, you got to have a Finn)
Offtopic:

Who said Senna is a Finn and who has the highest number of wins!? :rofl

Last edited by anachronix : 15th August 2012 at 23:04.
Old 15th August 2012, 23:21   #11854
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
Offtopic:

Who said Senna is a Finn and who has the highest number of wins!? :rofl
I never said that he is a Finn I just said, i put myself into different shoes, depends on the moron ahead of me! just kidding! I don't do that. They are my favourite fast men on earth. (P.S: Sir, I believe you are aware of this tamil joke: First yaaru varanga nu mukkiyum ille aana and so on. Following the same motto, I would say these men made huge impact. I don't disrespect Schumi, but for me, he is not simply "The Man".)

But then imho, speed is not all that causes accident, rather, a cyclist doing a mere 5 kmph can end up ringing the door bell of heaven/hell if he is careless and doesn't follow the road etiquettes. (here I have purposefully avoided using the words "Rules" and "rule abiding" because we don't mostly follow them in India)

Last edited by AlphaKilo : 15th August 2012 at 23:24.
AlphaKilo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2012, 07:42   #11855
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaKilo View Post
I never said that he is a Finn I just said, i put myself into different shoes, depends on the moron ahead of me! just kidding! I don't do that. They are my favourite fast men on earth. (P.S: Sir, I believe you are aware of this tamil joke: First yaaru varanga nu mukkiyum ille aana and so on. Following the same motto, I would say these men made huge impact. I don't disrespect Schumi, but for me, he is not simply "The Man".)

Quote:
But then imho, speed is not all that causes accident, rather, a cyclist doing a mere 5 kmph can end up ringing the door bell of heaven/hell if he is careless and doesn't follow the road etiquettes. (here I have purposefully avoided using the words "Rules" and "rule abiding" because we don't mostly follow them in India)
True! It could be a well informed, educated man acting to be following rules and speedlimits but careless while drivin doing all the other things except driving can be a cause to send that cyclist to heaven or hell
Old 16th August 2012, 11:56   #11856
BHPian

Bad news

Mamba faced the cruel reality of Bangalore traffic the other day. On my way home with kids, I was stuck between Dairy circle and Nimhans signal. I was on the extreme right. Just after the Kidwai bus stop, a BMTC bus which was also inching slowly, came into the middle lane, a little too close to comfort. Being a curve, he mis judged the space between us . He tried turning it left, and had my LHS mirror entangled into his body . I had no space to turn anywhere, and had to watch him pull my mirror which finally gave up. My daughter opened the window and put the mirror back to place, but the casing is broken.

With the 2 kids in and the massive block that we were in, I had no space for an altercation with the guy. I had to pass it on as a bad day and move on.

Mirror is in shape, indicators on it are working fine, so is the electronic adjustments. The casing needs repair or replacement .

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-mirror-broken.jpg
Old 16th August 2012, 13:56   #11857
Senior - BHPian

Re: All for a phone call !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep3in
Where is this place Supremebaleno, the place looks very familiar.Looks to be somewhere near kumbanad thiruvalla.
This is at Valiaperumpuzha (Mavelikara) - about ~15kms from Tiruvalla. But then all places at Kerala look the same - heavy green vegetation, coconut trees etc.
Old 16th August 2012, 14:53   #11858
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
Other factors like design and condition of the road, traffic conditions & users' knowledge and sincerity towards the traffic rules shall play more important role in deciding the speed limit than the ability of the car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
For some, luck just ran out
=========
That would be a driver's right ? If all drivers were that sensible, then we wont see so many high speed crashes. My point was on cars being treated as ONE unit. Be it be a reva or a merc, all at 80kmph didnt make sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
It is not the ability of the car as much as the ability of the driver.

One interesting point, any speed over 10 mph/16kmph is enough to crush an unprotected human skull. So a byclist at 20kmph if he falls and hits his head will die. Food for thought???
============
Absolutely agreed. But think of a nano/indica guy trying to mimic a merc at 80 kmph. May be a merc has better control as a vehicle under 3 digit speeds which a nano may not have ( Im only talking of the car's ability. The person behind steering is not my point ) .
Old 16th August 2012, 15:05   #11859
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannubhai View Post
=========
My point was on cars being treated as ONE unit. Be it be a reva or a merc, all at 80kmph didnt make sense.
( Im only talking of the car's ability. The person behind steering is not my point ) .
I agree to your point. However, the speed rules might have been made considering the worst case (car) scenario or on average car scenario.
Old 16th August 2012, 17:03   #11860
Distinguished - BHPian

Here are some pictures of a banged up Honda City that was brought into the Traffic police station. Accident happened somewhere near Tata Silk Farm, KR Road, BLR south:

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-wp_000082.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-wp_000083.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-wp_000084.jpg
Old 16th August 2012, 17:16   #11861
Senior - BHPian

The left front tyre is put in the wrong direction.
reignofchaos is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th August 2012, 18:21   #11862
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
The left front tyre is put in the wrong direction.
I wanted to point that out too, but I don't think that caused the accident.
Old 16th August 2012, 18:33   #11863
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic
Here are some pictures of a banged up Honda City that was brought into the Traffic police station. Accident happened somewhere near Tata Silk Farm, KR Road, BLR south:
Isn't this the accident car from a few days back? The one that rammed into shutters of closed shops?

And regarding the left Tyre, I've seen so many other cars having the same wrong configuration. But I doubt if that would cause the accident.
Old 16th August 2012, 20:34   #11864
BHPian

Udupi: Speeding Tempo Rams into Bolero, Three of Family Injured

Ivan Mascarenhas
Daijiworld Media Network - Udupi

Udupi, Aug 16: Three persons were injured in a road accident that took place near Ashirwad Film Theatre opposite a petrol bunk on Thursday August 16.

The injured have been identified as Rajab (45), his mother Aisamma, and his 5-year-old daughter (all seated on the front). Rajab who was driving the car suffered serious injuries.

The accident occurred when a speeding 407 tempo carrying wooden logs and plying from Kundapur to Udupi tried to overtake the Bolero and crashed into it.
The family who were in the Bolero were travelling from Udupi to Kundapur.
Another 6-year-old girl who was sitting behind escaped unhurt.
The tempo toppled over the Bolero car, completely smashing its front portion. The young girl who was sitting on Isam's lap was thrown out and was stuck in the bonnet of the Bolero between the two vehicles. Luckily, she suffered minor injuries and was rescued by the locals.
The two young girls (aged 5 and 6) have been identified as Ayesha and Anisha.
Traffic was affected for about an hour because of the accident.
Udupi traffic police have registered a case.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-2.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-3.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-4.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-5.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-6.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-7.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-8.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-9.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-10.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-11.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-12.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-13.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-14.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-15.jpg  

Old 16th August 2012, 20:51   #11865
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannubhai View Post
Bad news
Mirror is in shape, indicators on it are working fine, so is the electronic adjustments. The casing needs repair or replacement .
Attachment 970869
Sad to know that, Mannubhai.

I had the similar situation at LemonGrass signal from Koramangala to ORR, the bus guy kept pressing from the left side, I honked but he still wants to make his way, I stopped and he still bruised my left wing mirror a bit, good that I stopped early else he would have taken the mirror along. I overtook him and stop in the middle to have a talk, but with a 5-7 seconds pause, I decided to move on while rest of the traffic were watching and waiting for me to let the bus go.
Like you said, it doesnt really help getting into conflict with these guys. Its better to make sure we dont let them set exmaples and educate our next generation well to see a better tomorrow. Enough of philosophy for a wing mirror I guess!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks