Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2012, 09:43   #11911
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

As usual a biker takes a chance in the narrowest gap that was available between the innova and the divider by accelerating to get past quickly. The innova comes slightly towards the right and biker gets stuck between the innova and the divider. Since the biker was at a good speed, after getting stuck he was thrown to the other side of the divider. Luckily the traffic on the other side was moving slowly else he would have come under a moving vehicle. Traffice police arrived within seconds.

Will these bikers learn their lessons ever?
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-photo0069optimized.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-photo0070optimized.jpg  

Old 26th August 2012, 10:10   #11912
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Yes, infact I feel sorry for the Innova driver, if his/her car got a scratch due to the motorbike guy. When will these guys learn not to risk their lives – just for saving a few seconds?
Old 26th August 2012, 12:21   #11913
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

As usual a biker takes a chance in the narrowest gap that was available between the innova and the divider by accelerating to get past quickly. The innova comes slightly towards the right and biker gets stuck between the innova and the divider. Since the biker was at a good speed, after getting stuck he was thrown to the other side of the divider.

Well, before coming to Slight Right, the Innova driver must have seen in ORVM if there is somebody overtaking him or not. I dont feel what the biker did was wrong. There are many in this country who would be driving cars and wont move left for a faster bike/car/any vehicle.

We live in a country where one has to overtake ( and undertake ) leaving gap of just inches. Here, the biker was TRYING TO OVERTAKE Innova and after he started his move, the car came to right. The biker cannot be called at fault, the Innova driver must have seen in ORVM.

All this is just my view, nothing personal against anyone.
aaggoswami is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 26th August 2012, 12:32   #11914
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Well, before coming to Slight Right, the Innova driver must have seen in ORVM if there is somebody overtaking him or not. I dont feel what the biker did was wrong. There are many in this country who would be driving cars and wont move left for a faster bike/car/any vehicle.
Its very difficult to judge that situation sitting here at home. When they couldn't and got into an accident, I'm sure we cant do it from here.

This is said a many times and again, vehicles don't stick to a lane, I have seen folks driving in between the lane intentionally or that's the habit they have cultivated and not leaving enough space for others to overtake, that's when such close calls will happen, that makes these biker cultivate another bad habit to squeeze in from anywhere and everywhere. We are not going to be lucky every time. There will be our turn waiting for us tomorrow, if we don't correct this.
Ketan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th August 2012, 14:48   #11915
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

As usual a biker takes a chance in the narrowest gap that was available between the innova and the divider by accelerating to get past quickly. The innova comes slightly towards the right and biker gets stuck between the innova and the divider. Since the biker was at a good speed, after getting stuck he was thrown to the other side of the divider. Luckily the traffic on the other side was moving slowly else he would have come under a moving vehicle. Traffice police arrived within seconds.

It is also possible that the divider itself is not exactly "straight" - I have seen many a divider in Bangalore resembling the path of a snake. So, even if the Innova was moving in a straight line, the biker would have gotten squished.
KiloAlpha is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th August 2012, 23:19   #11916
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

We live in a country where one has to overtake ( and undertake ) leaving gap of just inches. Here, the biker was TRYING TO OVERTAKE Innova and after he started his move, the car came to right. The biker cannot be called at fault, the Innova driver must have seen in ORVM.

May be I didn't give the complete picture, here is what I noticed from the other side waiting for my signal,

1) It was bumper to bumper traffic.
2) Innova just started moving after getting the green signal, may be the speed would have been 10kmh speed or less.
3) First the biker tries to enter this gap, but he couldn't. Then goes to the other side of the innova, but again comes to the right side and this time he accelerated hard to get past quickly but couldn't.

Not sure if the innova driver checked his ORVM but definitely he wouldn't have expected this biker speeding in that gap because the biker moved from right side to left and then came back again in quick time.

Also, as mentioned by KiloAlpha, this divider is not straight, it goes slightly towards the left. So, may be this could be one of the reason but I am not sure.
Old 27th August 2012, 03:19   #11917
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Spotted this badly rear ended Verna on the expressway last weekend. Looks like a truck rammed into him at full clip. He must have definitely been stationary. Luckily, I didn't see any blood on the backseat, looks like there weren't any passengers at the rear.

Attachment 973048
Verna got crushed almost to a Brio. The car was sure stationary and definitely with the hand brake engaged. Probably would have had lesser damage had the car been in with some gear engaged rather than the hand brake. Hope there were no passengers in it. Even the driver would have sustained serious injuries if he were in without seat belts on.

One query - Do the air bags deploy in these kind of collisions from the rear?

Last edited by GTO : 28th August 2012 at 10:31. Reason: PM coming up
Old 27th August 2012, 09:18   #11918
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharatbits View Post
Verna got crushed almost to a Brio. The car was sure stationary and definitely with the hand brake engaged. Probably would have had lesser damage had the car been in with some gear engaged rather than the hand brake. Hope there were no passengers in it. Even the driver would have sustained serious injuries if he were in without seat belts on.

One query - Do the air bags deploy in these kind of collisions from the rear?
There was another rear ending crash mentioned somewhere where a Honda City was rear ended by a Swift Dzire ( first generation dzire ). The city was driven by a pregnant lady and in that crash also the city was reduced to half length. The portion after B pillar was crushed.

IIRC, the airbags did open in city. However i am not sure if city mamaged to hit something in front.
Old 27th August 2012, 09:27   #11919
BHPian

Spotted this on the nice road, wondering how it happened. All tyres seemed inflated, so either the truck's steering got a problem or lost the axle, but doubtful about latter. Or maybe he tried veering at the last moment for some reason (?)

There was a guy standing near the truck with heavy scratch marks on body, no hard injuries though, assuming he would have been in the truck or nearby during the incident. Did not speak to him though.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-truck.jpg  

Old 27th August 2012, 19:21   #11920
BHPian

Quote:
Well, before coming to Slight Right, the Innova driver must have seen in ORVM if there is somebody overtaking him or not. I dont feel what the biker did was wrong
Here, the biker was TRYING TO OVERTAKE Innova and after he started his move, the car came to right. The biker cannot be called at fault, the Innova driver must have seen in ORVM.
Well, I used to take this very lane everyday.A few dozen metres ahead is a stop line. Vehicles in the Innova's lane either take a U-turn or Right turn. I don't see why anyone would cut into the middle lane in inching traffic just to let someone "overtake".
It was plain ignorant of the biker to try and "overtake" someone in the right most lane turning right, from the right.
I do not see how the biker, and not the driver was not at fault.

My cars have been cut off by many such "nosey" bikers who need to turn right, while we were taking the U-turn. If we driver were to look in the R-RVM (which we do, anyway) and stop just to let the bikers pass, we would cause a jam.

Last edited by Arkin evoisrevo : 27th August 2012 at 19:23.
Old 27th August 2012, 19:52   #11921
BHPian

Place : Kavuri hills to Inorbit Mall road via Secret lake (Durgam cheruvu), Hi-tech city, Hyderabad
Car : Chevy beat Diesel
Date, time : 24-Aug-12, around 10.55 am

Type of mishap : Looking at the scene it seemed the car lost control and went over the boulders, the lady in the left was driving the car with her mom and dad. None of them were hurt. The tow truck (not visible in the pic) had a tough task pulling out the car. Didn't want to take more pics as the family was feeling embarrassed being stranded.

Apologies for the poor quality, tried to take the pic when they were not watching me.

Mods : please delete this post if in-appropriate.

Cheers !
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-beat.jpg  

Old 27th August 2012, 20:51   #11922
Senior - BHPian

Not having a happy time with Innovas these days. A couple of weeks back, my father's parked car was hit by an Innova which was trying to get into the adjacent parking slot. Today, my Punto got rear-ended by an Innova. Thankfully, no damage other than a few scratches on the bumper. It was a low speed rear-ending since I was in bumper-to-bumper traffic. As it so often happens, the Innova guy was a bit too close when I had to stop. Funny thing is, he was right behind me for about 16km. Once or twice, I thought he was too close. Finally got hit when I entered traffic inside the town. It happened at an intersection, so I drove a little bit ahead and stopped. Seeing me get out of the car, the Innova guy also came out. First he tried to act as if he hadn't hit. So I pointed out the scratches to him. Then he said, "I think these are old scratches". So I told him firmly, "Hello, this is my own car and I know what scratches are old and what are new" - to which he sheepishly smiled. Anyway, I thought there's no point in arguing over a few scratches. So I told him it's OK, got back in the car and came home.
Old 27th August 2012, 23:00   #11923
BHPian

Talking about Innovas, this innova cab badly rear ended an alto beside me on the gurgaon toll road. The driver was unable to brake on time and the Innova came to a screeching halt and rear ended the alto badly. Poor chap!
Old 27th August 2012, 23:26   #11924
BHPian

A brand new Volvo XC90 banged into a building wall on 10th road, Juhu, Mumbai.
It was been test driven by a customer. A new volvo showroom has come up in juhu recently

The driver lost control when he tried to save a rickshaw coming from a adjacent road

Nobody was injured and the showroom driver who was seated in the co-drivers seat said that computers took control and auto braked sensing a collision. I guess that is the reason only the bumper is damaged.

The car was not needed to be towed and was taken after few hours.

Sorry for the poor image quality. Phone cam and no street lights
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-image349.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-image350.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-image351.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20120826wa0001.jpg  

rikhav is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th August 2012, 09:58   #11925
Senior - BHPian

Gas Tanker Explosion Again !

33 persons including infants were injured when an LPG tanker exploded on the national highway in the Chala at Kannur.

The tanker lorry which was on its way to Thalassery from Kannur hit the divider on the road by 10.45 pm near Chala temple, overturned and caught fire. The gas leaked for about 20 minutes and caused explosion.

Mathrubhumi English - 33 injured in LPG tanker explosion

Last edited by benbsb29 : 28th August 2012 at 10:13. Reason: Removed font tags from post.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks