Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2012, 09:58   #11926
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

1 lady was killed and thirty-five persons were injured, 15 of them seriously after a tanker carrying LPG exploded near Chala byepass junction, Kannur, Kerala. As many as four houses and 15 shops were reduced to ashes following the explosion. According to eyewitnesses, the LPG tanker, which was on its way from Kannur to Kozhikode, hit a divider and overturned, LPG leaked for around 20 minutes before it exploded at around 11 p.m.
Several vehicles around the area were also damaged in the fire. The sound of the explosion could be heard even kilometers away.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-2.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-3.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-4.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-5.jpg

Pictures courtesy: mathrubhumi.com, manoramaonline.com.
More reports here:
Manorama Online | LPG tanker explodes in Kannur; 35 hurt

Mathrubhumi English - 33 injured in LPG tanker explosion
Old 28th August 2012, 14:36   #11927
Senior - BHPian

A Toyota Camry fitted with a CNG kit caught fire yesterday. Luckily, the passengers escaped.

Toyota Camry car with CNG kit gutted in Delhi
Old 28th August 2012, 14:58   #11928
BHPian

And I thought that cng kits were safe to use. I dont know how is money more important for people than their own life. just another reason why i'd prefer investing my money in a diesel car rather than a cng kit.
Old 28th August 2012, 15:40   #11929
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aparth View Post
A Toyota Camry fitted with a CNG kit caught fire yesterday. Luckily, the passengers escaped.

Toyota Camry car with CNG kit gutted in Delhi
Lucky/ timely escape for the driver/ passengers.

I do not think this fire is due to CNG kit, as the rear end (where the cylinder is kept) seems to be in good condition... lest there could be another explosion & the car's rear would have been more damaged (ripped off). I admit that I can be wrong though.

@aparth, this belongs to cars on fire thread in Indian Cars section & not this thread.
Mods, please move these posts.
Old 28th August 2012, 16:21   #11930
BHPian

@ cardeep - So youre saying that during the case of a fire nothing happens to the cng cylinder?
Old 28th August 2012, 18:16   #11931
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by foby.sebastian View Post
The gas leaked for about 20 minutes and caused explosion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
1 lady was killed and thirty-five persons were injured, 15 of them seriously after a tanker carrying LPG exploded near Chala byepass junction, Kannur, Kerala. As many as four houses and 15 shops were reduced to ashes following the explosion. According to eyewitnesses, the LPG tanker, which was on its way from Kannur to Kozhikode, hit a divider and overturned, LPG leaked for around 20 minutes before it exploded at around 11 p.m.
What were 36 people doing near a LPG tanker that met with an accident and was leaking for 20 minutes?
And with infants? Would it not have been safe to at least get them as far away as possible? 20 minutes is time enough to move away from a tanker I would have thought!
Old 28th August 2012, 18:48   #11932
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvBhadwar View Post
@ cardeep - So youre saying that during the case of a fire nothing happens to the cng cylinder?
@LuvBhadwar, I implied the CNG cylinder did not caught fire, otherwise there could have been a explosion, which would have ripped off the dicky, which appears intact in this case.
Old 28th August 2012, 19:25   #11933
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
What were 36 people doing near a LPG tanker that met with an accident and was leaking for 20 minutes?
And with infants? Would it not have been safe to at least get them as far away as possible? 20 minutes is time enough to move away from a tanker I would have thought!
I guess most of the 35 people were sleeping or unaware of the accident? Any first respondents (Police/fire department) would not have arrived unless someone informed them.
Old 28th August 2012, 20:41   #11934
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvBhadwar View Post
And I thought that cng kits were safe to use. I dont know how is money more important for people than their own life. just another reason why i'd prefer investing my money in a diesel car rather than a cng kit.
There have been many instances of petrol cars catching fire too , Nanos, Swifts and even Volkswagens. Case in point numerous threads in our forum itself that have discussed them at depth. Does that mean petrol cars are unsafe?

Any of those causes could result in a fire in a CNG vehicle. Just because it is CNG it does nt mean the fire was due to that. CNG in vehicles have come a long way now from what it was when it started off. A good CNG kit installed well should be very safe with regard to catching fire.
vibbs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th August 2012, 10:40   #11935
BHPian

Dharwad: Three from Karkala Die in a Tragic Road Accident.

Daijiworld Media Network - Dharwad
Dharwad, Aug 29: In a tragic road accident near Narendra Cross, here, an Indica car rammed into a goods tempo killing two on the spot while the others were taken to the hospital.

The deceased have been identified as Santosh Shetty (38), Rathi Shetty (60) and Nandu Shetty (45). Sources said that Nasik based car driver Kishor suffered major injuries and is battling for life at Inthe hospital.

The car was plying from Mangalore to Pune. Eyewitnesses say that it was the drivers fault as he was driving in the wrong direction.

Another eyewitness said that the impact of accident was so severe that the people had to use tools to cut open and remove the bodies from the car.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dharwad_0829121.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dharwad_0829122.jpg  

Old 29th August 2012, 11:13   #11936
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_naik View Post
Dharwad: Three from Karkala Die in a Tragic Road Accident.

Daijiworld Media Network - Dharwad
Dharwad, Aug 29: In a tragic road accident near Narendra Cross, here, an Indica car rammed into a goods tempo killing two on the spot while the others were taken to the hospital.

The deceased have been identified as Santosh Shetty (38), Rathi Shetty (60) and Nandu Shetty (45). Sources said that Nasik based car driver Kishor suffered major injuries and is battling for life at Inthe hospital.

The car was plying from Mangalore to Pune. Eyewitnesses say that it was the drivers fault as he was driving in the wrong direction.

Another eyewitness said that the impact of accident was so severe that the people had to use tools to cut open and remove the bodies from the car.
Looks like the driver paid the ultimate price for his folly.
Too bad the passengers had to lose their lives too (But I would not give them a clean chit too could have objected to the car being driven in the wrong direction)

May a few more such accidents(offcourse no fatalities or major injuries) would knock sense into people that by trying to cut short distances, they are rather cutting short their timelines.
racer_m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2012, 11:17   #11937
Senior - BHPian

^^+1 to the above. What I fail to understand is why the passengers would not alert / warn / dissuade their driver from driving on wrong direction? I don't think that they had to be educated to differentiate between right and wrong directions on a main road! Taking short cuts sometimes are at the behest of the passengers too.
Old 29th August 2012, 11:45   #11938
Senior - BHPian

The Hindu : States / Tamil Nadu : Five killed in bus accident

Quote:
Five persons, including a councillor of the Tiruchi Municipal Corporation and her son, were killed while 12 persons were injured when an omnibus from Chennai to Tiruchi rammed a stationary omnibus, (also on its way to the same destination) in the early hours of Tuesday on the NH 45, near Padalur, about 12 km from here.
Parked by roadside
According to the police, the omnibus from Chennai to Tiruchi driven by Dhanagopl, 29, suffered a puncture near the Alathur railway gate at about 5 a.m.
It was parked on the roadside for changing the tyre.
Why? When will we ever learn?
Old 29th August 2012, 12:34   #11939
BHPian

Mangalore: Brakes Fail, Bus Passengers have a Lucky Escape

Pics: Shashidhar
Daijiworld Media Network – Mangalore (VM)

Mangalore, Aug 29: The brake failure of a bus plying from Kateel created panic among the passengers as they had a narrow escape. The incident occurred around 6.30 am here at Ladyhill on Wednesday August 29.

The bus went over the divider damaging electric poles, then rammed into an Omni van and finally crashed into the compound wall of the Ladyhill School in the early morning.

It is learnt that the bus was carrying around 80 passengers.

The passengers expressed their gratitude towards the driver for safely maneuvering the vehicle.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-2.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-3.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-4.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-5.jpg  

Old 29th August 2012, 13:07   #11940
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
The tanker overturned in an area where there are several houses near the road. Since the event was at 10:45PM, most people had retired for the night. As per Malayalam newspaper reports, the loud explosion made people think it was an earthquake and they ran out of their homes in panic (into the inferno).

This seems to be the approximate location. You can see the number of homes in the vicinity.

Google Maps

The explosion happened after 20 minutes of the accident; it was not an immediate consequence.

I am shocked at the GoK's reaction to the incident. It seems since the accident was caused by the road divider (and also the previous one that involved actor Jagathy Sreekumar), order has been issued to demolish the divider itself.

Most Viewed