Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2012, 13:47   #11941
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post

I am shocked at the GoK's reaction to the incident. It seems since the accident was caused by the road divider (and also the previous one that involved actor Jagathy Sreekumar), order has been issued to demolish the divider itself.
Isn't that the easy way out to fix the problem than investing on expanding roads, making signages, educating drivers and catching offenders ? Once divider is removed, and if some accident happens in future, they will get another divider.

I have not personally seen the spot, but being a Keralite who travelled length and breadth inside Kerala, i can imagine how the accident spot and curve would look like !
Old 29th August 2012, 14:02   #11942
Distinguished - BHPian

I had gone to give my car for 2nd service at MASS.There,i went to their bodyshop to look at a car belonging to a person known to me.It was a 3 year old Swift Dzire Vxi.The very sight of the vehicle gave me goosebumps.I could manage to take only 2 snaps as i did not feel like taking more.
About the accident,happened about 2 months back.The person i know was driving his vehicle and his family and bodyguard were there.It was about 10:15am when a high speed truck in opposite direction decided to overtake another one inspite of his vehicle being in direct path.To avoid a head on collision,he took his vehicle to the shoulder of road and thats when the truck hit the trunk of

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20120829_092423.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20120829_092407.jpg

Dzire.His car toppled on to the left side and took 3-4 turns before coming to rest upside down.By God's grace,all of them survived(5) the horrific crash although with fractures.I feel injuries would have been less had they belted up.There is no body panel thats not bent/broken.Car has been written off as total loss.
Old 29th August 2012, 14:36   #11943
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
It was a 3 year old Swift Dzire Vxi.The very sight of the vehicle gave me goosebumps.I could manage to take only 2 snaps as i did not feel like taking more.
That's a very bad crash alright. Thanks god, everyone came out alive out of the vehicle. Did you see the cars in the background? Almost all of them look like accident vehicles and most of them look like total write-offs.
Old 29th August 2012, 15:27   #11944
BHPian

Udupi: Private Bus Turns Turtle in Brahmavar - 24 Injured

Suvarna Brahmavar
Daijiworld Media Network – Udupi (PS)

Udupi, Aug 29: As many as 24 persons sustained injuries after a bus turned turtle near Soorebettu of Cherkady village in Brahmavara here on Wednesday August 29 morning.

The bus was plying from Perdoor to Brahmavar. The driver lost control of the vehicle and applied the brake after which the bus barged into the drainage by the side of the road. Many of the injured are school children as the accident occurred during the peak hours. They belonged to schools and colleges located in and around Brahmavar.

Veeda, Sumanth, Roopa, Ashwini, Daisi D’Souza, Wilma, Pooja, Adarsh, Pooja, Nisha, Prathima, Bhumika, Ashwini, Saritha of Petri and Thalma D’Souza of Aroor, Shekar, Pooja, Dinakar, Deekshith of Madiya, Prathima of Mundkinajaddi, Shreekanth of Bannady, Veena P Thingalaya of Kannaru and Ganapathi Poojari are said to be injured.

Although the students were more in numbers as passengers, none were posed to any risk to their life. It is also said that if the bus had hit the electric pole located near the spot it would have resulted in more injuries.

Locals Shreekanth Samanth, Umesh Samanth, Pundaleeka Acharya among others rushed to the spot and extended help to the injured. The injured have been admitted to a private hospital in Brahmavara.

Brahmavara circle inspector Prabhu D T, inspector Girish Kumar, local panchayath president and vice president rushed to the spot.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-2.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-3.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-4.jpg  

Old 29th August 2012, 15:34   #11945
Senior - BHPian

No pics, but this happened near where I live

Driver rescued from mangled private bus in Pune - Pune - DNA
Old 29th August 2012, 20:23   #11946
Zed
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_naik View Post
Dharwad: Three from Karkala Die in a Tragic Road Accident.

Another eyewitness said that the impact of accident was so severe that the people had to use tools to cut open and remove the bodies from the car.[/indent]
The photograph suggests that the front end of the passenger compartment near the A pillar bore the brunt of the impact and a significant part of the hood is inside the passenger cell. Wonder if the outcome of this tragic crash would have been different if the truck had bumpers at a height that would have caused the impact to occur at the front of the car - like in the case of a conventional crash test. Not that this particular incident - as described in the report - was the truckers fault.

Some images from the net which refers to this type of impact.

Note how the damage pattern on the car car changes when the truck is fitted with a Front underrun protection device (FUPD).

Light, medium and heavy trucks in advanced markets seem to have some form of FUPDs. While the same ground clearance limits may not be practical for Indian road conditions there could be a design solution suitable to Indian conditions that can potentially reduce fatalities in such accidents. Ive observed similar protection features on the side and rear of trucks in India.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf crash1.pdf (22.3 KB, 626 views)
File Type: pdf crash2.pdf (45.0 KB, 597 views)

Last edited by Zed : 29th August 2012 at 20:30.
Old 30th August 2012, 11:36   #11947
Senior - BHPian

Saw this crash today morning at Gurgaon Faridabad Road crossing in Gugaon. It is another case of someone jumping the red light. We see at least one crash a month at this crossing and all have common reason!
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20120830906.jpg  

Old 30th August 2012, 13:56   #11948
BHPian

Mods, please note that I am not blanking out any faces or numbers as the accident involves me and my friends and I am posting with full consent.

When: 3 years ago.
Where: On the way to Cauvery fishing camp (Outskirts of Bangalore)
Time: About 8 am
Why posting only now: Just found these pics on my laptop while I was clearing some files

I'am just going to give you all a brief about what happened and let the pictures do the talking.

A few friends and I decided to spend a day and camp at Cauvery fishing camp. We set out early morning from Bangalore it two cars. An esteem (My car) and a Santro.

The last stretch towards Cauvery fishing camp is rather narrow (This was the first time I was travelling on this road). It reminded me of the road from Teppakad to Masnagudi (My favourite stretch that I've travelled a million times).

It was early morning with nil traffic so I decided to open up a bit and test the headers. As we approached an elevation (It was a blind spot and I could not see ahead, but since most of the road was straight I expected it to be straight!) on the road, there was an almost 90-degree sudden left turn.

I took the turn, but I was too fast and the car flipped. Thank god, the three of us walked away without a scratch. In fact we put the car straight and i drove back to my friends workshop in Ooty

Moral of the story: Never overestimate your driving skills and ALWAYS BE EXTRA CAREFUL while travelling on an unfamiliar road.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1942_1080208646921_3053_n.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1942_1080208686922_4114_n.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1942_1080208726923_5180_n.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1942_1080208766924_6247_n.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1942_1080208806925_7293_n.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1942_1080209286937_2467_n.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1942_1080209326938_3504_n.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1942_1080209366939_4546_n.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1942_1080210366964_9825_n.jpg  

aadithsince1980 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th August 2012, 14:37   #11949
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadithsince1980 View Post
As we approached an elevation (It was a blind spot and I could not see ahead, but since most of the road was straight I expected it to be straight!) on the road, there was an almost 90-degree sudden left turn.
This has happened to one of our moderators also on an early morning drive. Luckily he was in a heavier car which didn't topple but did a full 360 degree rotation instead. There is a video of it somewhere on Youtube if I remember correctly.
Old 30th August 2012, 15:22   #11950
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
This has happened to one of our moderators also on an early morning drive. Luckily he was in a heavier car which didn't topple but did a full 360 degree rotation instead. There is a video of it somewhere on Youtube if I remember correctly.
Got a link to the video? Would love to see it
aadithsince1980 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2012, 15:35   #11951
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed View Post
The photograph suggests that the front end of the passenger compartment near the A pillar bore the brunt of the impact and a significant part of the hood is inside the passenger cell. Wonder if the outcome of this tragic crash would have been different if the truck had bumpers at a height that would have caused the impact to occur at the front of the car - like in the case of a conventional crash test. Not that this particular incident - as described in the report - was the truckers fault.

Some images from the net which refers to this type of impact.

Note how the damage pattern on the car car changes when the truck is fitted with a Front underrun protection device (FUPD).

Seat belts ! FUPD or no FUPD ,seat belts could have saved here . The passenger shell doesnt look so bad at all .
Old 30th August 2012, 19:32   #11952
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
Saw this crash today morning at Gurgaon Faridabad Road crossing in Gugaon. It is another case of someone jumping the red light. We see at least one crash a month at this crossing and all have common reason!
That intersection is quite a accident prone zone. On a number of days I see broken glass lying at the intersection.

I spotted a second accident today on the same stretch at about lunchtime. The faridabad road- mg road link road. I call it the paahari road. Don't know what the road itself is called. It was towards the mg road side, somewhere near pullman hotel.
This white corolla had toppled a couple of times and landed on its roof by the side of the road. The rear portion of the roof was crushed. The rear part of the roof were lower than the rear head restraints. The car took the hit, the driver compartment was ok. Did'nt see any bad intrusions.
People at the spot said, the driver escaped unhurt. It seems thankfully there was no one sitting at the back.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img00532201208301435.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img00531201208301435.jpg
Old 30th August 2012, 21:54   #11953
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by promit View Post
That intersection is quite a accident prone zone. On a number of days I see broken glass lying at the intersection.
That's terrible. Must be over speeding. I wonder how can one do this when the condition of the road is more than pathetic!

Administration in Gurgaon shall start naming the roads now (the issue was highlighted in TOI a few days back). And this particular road shall be named as "Terminator'' as it terminates the backbones, suspension, and sometimes the entire car!
Old 30th August 2012, 22:26   #11954
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
1 lady was killed and thirty-five persons were injured, 15 of them seriously after a tanker carrying LPG exploded near Chala byepass junction, Kannur, Kerala.
The pictures and the incident had made me swear that i would always make it safe passage for any lpg tanker truck, mainly when overtaking it. Why to risk my own life, the miserable driver/cleaner and the people in the vicinity?
Old 30th August 2012, 23:33   #11955
Senior - BHPian

The death toll in the gas tanker accident has been rising with more people succumbing to burn injuries. The toll is now up to 7.

Most Viewed