Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2012, 23:55   #12061
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Today when I was headed to Mumbai, I saw a badly smashed Xylo after crossing the Khalapur toll-plaza. Seems like it rear ended some big vehicle. The A-pillars, the roof were not in place. It looked like the driver had a slim chance. Anyone knows more about it?
Old 21st September 2012, 19:13   #12062
BHPian

Did something happen on the mg road. A little before the qutub minar metro station towards the gurgaon side? There was a jam and some commotion and people pointing over the ledge off the road?
Old 21st September 2012, 20:54   #12063
BHPian

I just saw an unidentified car drive/jump off Bannerghatta road.

This was as the car was heading towards NICE Road at the Himagiri Meadows turn. I did not see the car go off; but looking at its position, it seemed to be speeding and did not see the unmarked hump at the turn, did a jump over the hump and straight into the ditch.

A lot of passerbys lifted the car and it drove off with significant damage to the front of the car and bushes sticking out of the hood.
Old 23rd September 2012, 02:27   #12064
BHPian

I was rear ended by a truck today on Whitefield Main Road.

I was in my Santro with my Wife and 2 twin toddlers in back seat. The bus ahead of me was waiting for some thing to clear and was stationary. So I stopped from my sedate 40kmph speed and lined up behind the bus like any other normal driver minding my own business. After I stopped for good 15-20 secs, I heard a bam. I am shocked to see a huge truck sniffing up my Santro's rear. I got down and hurled choicest of the words to the truck driver. The guy got down and said it is not his mistake. He said, your vehicle is very small and I did not notice. He said I rearended because you applied the brakes.

When I told that I applied brakes half a min back and it was not an emergency stop, he accused me of driving such a small car.

I mean are you kidding me. I felt really sad after the callous attitude truck drivers have. Has there been a single scratch to my kids or wife, I swear I would have thrown him under a moving vehicle. Somehow controlled myself, not to loose temper much.

Now, what is more interesting is some localites came and started hurling abuses to me. It was a lolwut moment for me. It was apparent that they came rushing to save their own and I was just a outsider to them. Anyway, I moved my vehicle to side to avoid a traffic jam. The son of guns in Truck vanished in a jiffy the moment I cleared. There was no point chasing them. But when we confronted the heros who came to rescue the retared driver, they just said sorry and moved on.

Went to Kadugodi traffic police station and narrated the incident. The guys there told me to leave the vehicle with them and collect on Mon or Tue. WHich I did not do because I have 2 toddlers and I cannot force them to sulk in Sun for tomfoolery of mine or anyone else.

I have the phone number of truck owner. Photos of the truck number and the culprit. I think I do not have energy and time to run again and again to police station for complaint.

I am more appalled by attitude of localites. How can people forget that they are human beings before being Kannadigas or Keralites or Delhities or Tamilians or anything else?

I hate my country sometimes because of incidents like these :(

On the hindsight I was planning for a Diesel Sedan. After incident I am booking a Duster with all safety options, which is apparently very visible. On a brighter side, who knows it was a sign to get a bigger car.

Last edited by acroback : 23rd September 2012 at 02:30.
acroback is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2012, 03:43   #12065
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
He said, your vehicle is very small and I did not notice...

He said I rearended because you applied the brakes...

he accused me of driving such a small car....
It's like a comedy script.

Except it's serious, and it happened to a fellow Team-BHPer. Glad to know that you and family are ok: hope the car is not too badly damaged.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2012, 09:26   #12066
BHPian

Do you know Kannada? and is your Santro KA registered?

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please avoid quoting an entire large post. It inconveniences our small screen & mobile readers.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 23rd September 2012 at 10:07.
Old 23rd September 2012, 10:19   #12067
BHPian

No I do not know kannada and vehicle was recwntly ployed to blore from hometown. Now I have decided to return it back and get a duster.
Old 23rd September 2012, 10:28   #12068
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroback View Post
I was rear ended by a truck today on Whitefield Main Road...
Glad that you and your family got away unhurt.

But the reasoning of this trucker is a complete non sense. Apart from the reality, as a general rule, it is always the vehicle the hits you from behind is at fault. Besides, the bigger vehicle is always at fault is our Indian mindset.

It is quite saddening and shocking to see that the trucker had such an audacity to put up a lame argument and convince the bystanders.

BTW, it is great to know that this incident has brought about a new beginning. Congrats on deciding on the duster! Please do keep us posted on that.
Old 23rd September 2012, 10:32   #12069
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroback View Post
The guy got down and said it is not his mistake. He said, your vehicle is very small and I did not notice. He said I rearended because you applied the brakes.

After incident I am booking a Duster with all safety options, which is apparently very visible. On a brighter side, who knows it was a sign to get a bigger car.
To somehow escape the guilty drivers will say anything. ANYTHING.

What is bad is the behaviour of local people. Move on. People who think small will remain small in life. And this goes for any part of the country.

Good that you decided on Duster. In India size matters. The moment you are in a SUV people assume that you are a Politician/Builder/Bussinessman with contacts and will give you all the respect and reverence they can. And some more.
Old 23rd September 2012, 10:38   #12070
BHPian

I understand that. Honestly I do not care about car's repair. All I care about is my family. I m glad that they were safe. Thanks to my quick thinking wife who held my kids tight on seeing the truck coming.

I m not buying duster to show off but for safety and practicality. Though I'll admit people gave way lot easily. Only if same people give way to pedestrians and cyclists too.
acroback is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2012, 10:56   #12071
BHPian

To add insult to injury, I took my damaged car with family to see a prospective property at sarjapur road.

My brother is driving at maybe 60-70 and I was front passenger. Suddenly I see a innova honking from behind. Mind you road is empty,he can easily pass. So we slow down as my wife was scared after morning incident.

Innova did went past but for what goddamn reason took a left turn to come in front of us. All this before even crossing us. Innova almost push us in the pillars guarding nearby vegetation. It cane within a mm of brushing us, thanks to my brother who did a emergency left manouver. All this and there was no vehicle ahead.

I couldn't believe my hard luck and decided that property can wait, safety on wheels cannot.

Why do people bully small vehicles is beyond me. When I used to cycle to work, auto wallahs, mopeds and cars would harrass me almost twice a week on roads and on signals. Some will started their vehicles and keep pushing it against my cycle's rear. Couple of times I replied - "my cycle rear can be repaired in 3k but if I beat you with my broken cycle. Your car and you will need 40k for repair." Most of the times it worked, though I hated saying bad words like that some weeks.

I hate it!
Old 23rd September 2012, 11:15   #12072
BHPian

Accident when a car rolled down the slope(due to the driver not putting handbrake)and banged into my parked car!!

pics here!
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2912030
Old 23rd September 2012, 11:50   #12073
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroback
To add insult to injury, I took my damaged car with family to see a prospective property at sarjapur road.

Innova did went past but for what goddamn reason took a left turn to come in front of us.

I couldn't believe my hard luck and decided that property can wait, safety on wheels cannot.

Why do people bully small vehicles is beyond me.
I hate it!
Dont worry about being bullied. They will be everywhere on the road. You should stand your ground, whether its an innova or a bus or a truck or a motorcyclist. If they are on the wrong side then you shouldn't budge.

Im not posting this so as to infuriate you. Bullies come in all shapes and sizes. I myself drive a small car and i face this on a day to day basis. Have grown a thick skin and nowadays if there is no space in front of me the bully or whoever he maybe won't get side even if he rear ends me.

One thing that noone seems to have mentioned here. Ok i get it about the new car matter. But what will you do when the next guy rear ends you and says he didn't see you intentionally. Will you then go and buy another bigger car? Perhaps then you can slap him and say it wasnt you. Lol. I dont mean to offend you, but i feel you could do better by learning the local language. Small car big car wont make a difference to people who want to cause problems. They will create problems no matter what. Atleast by knowing the local language you will know whether they are trying to make a fool out of you or otherwise.

Going in for a new car is nice, but do think how easy it will be for you to drive the car daily from home to work in Bangalore's maddening traffic. I mean is SUV the right choice or a sedan or a new hatch?

Good luck on the new car.
Parthasarathig is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2012, 12:50   #12074
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
Dont worry about being bullied. They will be everywhere on the road. You should stand your ground, whether its an innova or a bus or a truck or a motorcyclist. If they are on the wrong side then you shouldn't budge.

Im not posting this so as to infuriate you. Bullies come in all shapes and sizes. I myself drive a small car and i face this on a day to day basis. Have grown a thick skin and nowadays if there is no space in front of me the bully or whoever he maybe won't get side even if he rear ends me.

One thing that noone seems to have mentioned here. Ok i get it about the new car matter. But what will you do when the next guy rear ends you and says he didn't see you intentionally. Will you then go and buy another bigger car? Perhaps then you can slap him and say it wasnt you. Lol. I dont mean to offend you, but i feel you could do better by learning the local language. Small car big car wont make a difference to people who want to cause problems. They will create problems no matter what. Atleast by knowing the local language you will know whether they are trying to make a fool out of you or otherwise.

Going in for a new car is nice, but do think how easy it will be for you to drive the car daily from home to work in Bangalore's maddening traffic. I mean is SUV the right choice or a sedan or a new hatch?

Good luck on the new car.
Slapping someone is a extreme I usually avoid.
You are right I should learn local language. I am starting to understand a little but still needs to learn to speak properly. May be 2-3 years down the line I shall learn a lot more than what I know today.

I do not drive in Car to work. Duster shall be used by wifey and kids for safety purpose, let us face it Santro is not a very safe car per se. After I had kids I never take them on long highway drives in Santro, partially owning to poor handling and partly to lack of basic safety equipment. I think govt should make it absolutely necessary to sell cars with basic ABS and airbags in all cars.
I might be paying high EMI because of RxL Optional pack but I am ok with it. Safety and well being of my family comes first.

And I can live with my humble two wheeler for office chores.
Old 23rd September 2012, 13:11   #12075
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroback

Slapping someone is a extreme I usually avoid.
You are right I should learn local language. I am starting to understand a little but still needs to learn to speak properly. May be 2-3 years down the line I shall learn a lot more than what I know today.

I might be paying high EMI because of RxL Optional pack but I am ok with it. Safety and well being of my family comes first.

And I can live with my humble two wheeler for office chores.
Someone had mentioned a slapping incident on the forum. Some scooter guy had broken his mirror iirc, and refused to acknowledge his fault. Then the car guy slapped him and refused similarly.

About the local language, when i came to karnataka few years back I was also in a similar situation as you. Regularly getting fleeced by auto drivers, and every other problem that comes with the tag of being an outsider.

Slowly i learnt the language, even though im not able to speak fluently, i can understand the conversations and put across my point to the others. And people usually tend to be sympathetic with you once you learn the language. And that came with getting a Kannada to english book and watching lots of kannada movies. Knowing Sanskrit also helps a lot. Now im able to enjoy long bus journeys with the regional movies they will be playing.

If you arent driving to work, then the duster will be a great choice for outings and long drives. The duster should add up as a great companion for the highway drives you are missing now. And yes get the one with all the safety options ticked.

About the two wheeler, ride safe. ATGATT!!

Cheers.
Parthasarathig is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed