Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2012, 14:29   #12091
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

A friend just uploaded this pic on FB. Seems the driver lost control while parking or probably hit the Acc instead of Brakes.

A good way to beat the Q at a Sale

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-home.jpg Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-home1.jpg

Regards,
h@r$h@l is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2012, 15:57   #12092
BHPian

Saw this swift today when i visited the maruti workshop for getting my car serviced.

This is a zxi variant swift. The passenger cabin is almost intact inspite of such a terrible crash.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1_img2413.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img2418.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img2419.jpg  

Old 30th September 2012, 16:32   #12093
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_naik View Post
Saw this swift today when i visited the maruti workshop for getting my car serviced.

This is a zxi variant swift. The passenger cabin is almost intact inspite of such a terrible crash.
Wow!! The steering has become horizontal almost looks like an Omni's steering. Hope that the passengers were safe
Old 3rd October 2012, 09:57   #12094
Senior - BHPian

Five of a family burnt alive near Faridabad after a crash. It indeed is very sad.

http://www.ndtv.com/article/cities/f...e-otherstories.

God give strength to relatives.
Old 3rd October 2012, 10:19   #12095
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
Five of a family burnt alive near Faridabad after a crash. It indeed is very sad.

http://www.ndtv.com/article/cities/f...e-otherstories.

God give strength to relatives.
Was just about to post this article. Very sad news indeed.

However it is a bit disturbing to read that the CNG cylinder (in the car I assume) leaked and there was an immediate blaze. I had never thought this can happen in CNG, I thought it was safe.
Old 3rd October 2012, 11:17   #12096
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesrani View Post
However it is a bit disturbing to read that the CNG cylinder (in the car I assume) leaked and there was an immediate blaze. I had never thought this can happen in CNG, I thought it was safe.
TOI reported this to be a LPG car. If its true then it is sad again to know how people can risk lives of themselves as well as their dear ones in order to save some money.
Old 3rd October 2012, 11:36   #12097
BHPian

Quote:
Was just about to post this article. Very sad news indeed.

according to the TOI report the fire was not immediate, but ignited after about 30 minutes. due to lack of emergency services, the people present on the spot could not take out the victims as the central locking jammed. fire services arrived at the scene 40 minutes later. real sad turn of events, considering a gas cutter could have save all five lives.

R.I.P.
Old 3rd October 2012, 11:38   #12098
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by damanshaheed View Post
according to the TOI report the fire was not immediate, but ignited after about 30 minutes. due to lack of emergency services, the people present on the spot could not take out the victims as the central locking jammed. fire services arrived at the scene 40 minutes later. real sad turn of events, considering a gas cutter could have save all five lives.

R.I.P.
Why would leaking gas take 30 mins to ignite . Could also be leaking fuel.
Old 3rd October 2012, 12:13   #12099
BHPian

Quote:
TOI reported this to be a LPG car. If its true then it is sad again to know how people can risk lives of themselves as well as their dear ones in order to save some money.
Makes more sense. Always thought LPG can ignite more easily than CNG. If it is indeed the case, hope NDTV makes the correction on their website.

Quote:
Originally Posted by damanshaheed View Post

R.I.P.
It is also alarming to note that "central locking jammed"? How to avoid this. Normally I open one of the locks, preferably on my side (driver's) after the auto central lock is effected. In case of the collision would this lock stay open or get locked automatically? Like airbags getting deployed in case of an accident, locks also should open on impact.
Old 3rd October 2012, 12:40   #12100
Senior - BHPian

Why are T-BHPians failing to mention again and again that the car involved is Santro. I understand that newspapers have vested interests in doing so but why here.
WRT central locking mechanism jamming in Santro, Wagon-R and other popular car models is as common as it gets. Even in brand new cars these accidents (fire-Cenral lock jamming-owner dies) are numerous.
IMHO ARAI must make it mandatory to provide a hammer (same as for Fire prevention systems in the building) fixed on the front right door pocket.

Last edited by carwatcher : 3rd October 2012 at 12:43.
carwatcher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2012, 12:58   #12101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carwatcher View Post
Why are T-BHPians failing to mention again and again that the car involved is Santro. I understand that newspapers have vested interests in doing so but why here.

IMHO ARAI must make it mandatory to provide a hammer (same as for Fire prevention systems in the building) fixed on the front right door pocket.
I think we were shocked by the nature of the deaths than the car involved.

I am terrified by the news and I like your suggestion of providing safety hammer as standard. However, I am looking for one on net since morning. I will order two of them by today positively for my safety. Till then I will like to trust the metal pin of the gear lock to serve the purpose. I am also considering fire extinguishers for the cars as they keep them in the cabs.
Old 3rd October 2012, 13:15   #12102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think we were shocked by the nature of the deaths than the car involved.

This topic has been discussed in detail on Vehicles catching fire in India.
WRT fire extinguishers, they are of no use in a situation like this. If you want to use it in engine bay, you should be able to open the door first. Then comes the ability to douse such big fire.
So the summary of the discussion is that, despite so many technological advances, the conventional tool (and weapons) like hammer are more reliable just like in any hi-fi, sci-fi, 007, etc. movies where the villain after running out of bullets finally uses hammer, knife, etc. in the end. Same thing applies for car.

Last edited by carwatcher : 3rd October 2012 at 13:40.
carwatcher is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2012, 22:15   #12103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carwatcher View Post

So the summary of the discussion is that, despite so many technological advances, the conventional tool (and weapons) like hammer are more reliable just like in any hi-fi, sci-fi, 007, etc. movies where the villain after running out of bullets finally uses hammer, knife, etc. in the end. Same thing applies for car.
When i got my car, i opted for the base version (Swift Lxi) pretty much for the same reason. The Mumbai rain havoc of 2005 July was still fresh in my memory. I had read about how central locking, power windows of many cars failed due to the flood water damaging the electricals of the car and people got stuck and many lost their lives etc etc.

So got myself a car which didnt have any of these. But after a couple of months, got only the central locking installed due to the insistence of my friends.
I feel, in the unlikely event of such a failure of electical controls, i might still stand a chance of escaping since i can lower my windows and get out of the car.
n_naik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2012, 11:17   #12104
BHPian

Quote:
It is also alarming to note that "central locking jammed"? How to avoid this. Normally I open one of the locks, preferably on my side (driver's) after the auto central lock is effected. In case of the collision would this lock stay open or get locked automatically? Like airbags getting deployed in case of an accident, locks also should open on impact.
Yes it indeed is alarming. There have been quite a few similar instances when victims have been burnt alive in their vehicles because the central locking jammed. I was thinking on your lines, but the downside is that if the doors get unlocked on impact, there is a greater chance of the passengers being thrown out of the vehicle on impact. I think a better thing to do, like we do in our rally cars, is to have a cut out switch for the electrical system. No current, no spark, no fire. although not foolproof, but definitely safer and does not cost much to do.
Old 4th October 2012, 11:54   #12105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_naik View Post
So got myself a car which didnt have any of these. But after a couple of months, got only the central locking installed due to the insistence of my friends.
The swift has a mechanical lock and not an electric one. The connection from the door handle to the locking mechanism is a mechanical one and this can only get jammed if the door has taken a hit. It cannot get jammed if the electrical power in the car fails.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks