Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th November 2012, 10:44   #12286
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

^^ I agree. Guess he was too fast for a lane change. That too, being a new car, I doubt if he was well versed with how the car behaves at high speeds. I was once overtaken by a brand new Eeco on NH4 while I was doing a constant 90kmph in my SX4. So I feel that the Eeco was at least 20kmph faster than mine. Given the stability of such cars(Ertiga is not a bad handler but still) I wonder how they will respond when we change lanes quickly. Feel sad when drivers just max out such new cars and pose a risk to themselves as well as others on the road. I am referring in general and not about the ertiga incident as I am no direct witness to what happened there.
Old 20th November 2012, 12:24   #12287
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h14 View Post
Pictures shot by my friend. It happened on the Karur-Dindigul highway on Nov10 in broad day-light. No one is sure on what happened. The driver died on the spot and his wife and kids are suffering injuries.

It was a one-month old Ertiga. May his soul rest in peace. :(
Oh Dear .. Have never seen any accident this cruel and gruesome. The car is literally lying with all its internals scattered. Really really sad accident. May the driver's soul RIP.
Steering failure in one of Maruti's best seller is scary. Hope this is thoroughly investigated and reports published, at least for the other customers who purchase Maruti.

This got me thinking, what can we do if the steering indeed locks up? Have heard that if the Power steering unit fails then the car can still be steered manually. But can that also really fail unless there is a bad damage to the Front axle or steering rack? Cant even think of the scenario.
Heart goes out for the poor guy's surviving spouse and child . What a trauma.
Old 20th November 2012, 12:27   #12288
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prguru
This happened on 15th Nov on the Ring Road connecting tumkur road to mysore road in Nagarabhavi around 8:30 PM
The same day there was another accident around 150 meters before this place. This happened around 5.30-6 pm I think. This involved a mini truck. The main road was blocked and I had to take the service road. From the service road, I could see that the truck was lying on its side. I don't know how it happened but it seems he had hit the concrete barrier because it was broken. Don't know how this incident missed being on the news
Old 20th November 2012, 16:13   #12289
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A350XWB View Post
Yes, that indeed is a Ford Ikon. By the way, that's near my hometown. Wonder what could have caused the fire. Maybe a short circuit or a broken fuel line.

For the Ertiga accident, there is a chance that the steering was alright but under panic situation, the driver felt that the car was not responding to his inputs. Many a times, it happens that people, under panic, cannot act the way they are thinking. I really hope that the real cause of this accident comes to light as a steering failure (if that indeed is what happened) is a serious issue.

Hi A350XWB

Thanks for clarifying this. Is that a TDCI or old IKON.I have seen a similar incident a year back near to my place and that was also an IKON.

I doubt all these short circuits are caused by fault after sales electrical works.
Since I am owning a TDCI IKON I think I need to be careful now onwards.
Old 20th November 2012, 16:17   #12290
Senior - BHPian

Regarding the Ertiga accident, could it be so that the driver braked hard from triple digit speeds and there was an ABS malfunction which led to the wheels being locked = no response to steering input?
Old 20th November 2012, 23:02   #12291
Senior - BHPian

A friend's car after a late night party. The car hit a divider at about 80 km/h at 5 am in the morning.
He's lucky to have escaped with just minor cuts and bruises.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img2012111100695.jpg  

Last edited by aparth : 20th November 2012 at 23:03.
Old 21st November 2012, 20:39   #12292
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aparth View Post
A friend's car after a late night party. The car hit a divider at about 80 km/h at 5 am in the morning.
He's lucky to have escaped with just minor cuts and bruises.
From the condition of the car, he is one extremely lucky soul! What was the cause of the accident? Sleepiness/Inebriated state/Road hazard?
Old 21st November 2012, 20:56   #12293
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman
Steering failure in one of Maruti's best seller is scary. Hope this is thoroughly investigated and reports published, at least for the other customers who purchase Maruti.
Where did you get the "Steering failure" part from ? As I read it, no one even knows how the accident happened.
Old 21st November 2012, 21:04   #12294
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Where did you get the "Steering failure" part from ? As I read it, no one even knows how the accident happened.
The probable cause has been mentioned in post # 12280

Last edited by tharian : 21st November 2012 at 21:05. Reason: typo
Old 21st November 2012, 21:56   #12295
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h14 View Post
It happened in broad day-light and he was doing good 3 digit speeds. His wife and kids were in the rear seat. It happened when he overtook a lorry and while switching back to the left lane, seems he had panicked as the steering did not respond and he had told his wife that the steering has locked and eventually it dragged him to the left extreme, hit the pillar and toppled over.(
Really sad incident. But I can't digest the fact that the driver had enough time to tell his wife that he the steering has locked up, but could not slow down to safer speeds. It takes hardly a 3 or 4 seconds to slow down from say 100 kph to speeds like 40kph at which speed the impact would not have been so deadly. To realise that the steering has locked up and then to convey it to your co passengers will need a minimum of 10 secs atleast. I am sorry but it does not add up.
Santoshbhat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2012, 22:51   #12296
BANNED

Shocking tale of disregard of teen Human life-the Polo crash at Noida

http://www.istream.com/news/watch/21...e--Nov-20-2012

VW Polo driven by a 17 year old school student at a high speed crashes at Noida Sec 15-A into a truck. But what happened further is even more shocking. All at the video above.

God save this country from many such incidents involving today's spoilt generation.
Old 21st November 2012, 23:00   #12297
Distinguished - BHPian

Our 1 month old Santro was rear ended by one of the maniac MarcoPolo bus.Thankfully the damage was only to car and its RHS rear lights.I was sitting in front seat and my driver was driving,my mom,brother and sis-in-law on back seat.We were in left lane, slowing down as the truck in front had slowed,our speed was around 20kmph. Suddenly we heard screeching sound and thud.The bus swerved and stopped after hitting the divider.I got out and caught hold of the driver of bus,he said that the bus belongs to XYZ(a politician) who happens to be my neighbour.He said few things after which he was thrashed and handed over to police.I also asked the passengers of the bus as to why they did not ask him to slowdown for which they said he was not listening to them.Roads are full of morons.Drive safe guys.

P.S. We were belted up and have suffered only mental trauma.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20121121_1123231.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 22nd November 2012 at 09:58. Reason: Removing double image
BoneCollector is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st November 2012, 23:03   #12298
Senior - BHPian

A truck carrying pipes for bore-well drilling work capsized while trying to avoid a tipper lorry near Changanasserry in Kottayam district of Kerala. The driver and two other persons who were in the cabin escaped unhurt.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-accceee444.jpg
While this post is being compiled there is TV footage of a bus carrying Sabarimala pilgrims dashed into a shop killing one person and injuring several others.

Last edited by rajeev k : 21st November 2012 at 23:14.
Old 21st November 2012, 23:16   #12299
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
From the condition of the car, he is one extremely lucky soul! What was the cause of the accident? Sleepiness/Inebriated state/Road hazard?
Drinking and driving which led to the lack of concentration I suppose.
Old 22nd November 2012, 00:16   #12300
Senior - BHPian

This happened in chandigarh,two days back.
M800 split into two,after being hit by a roadways bus,that jumped a traffic signal,fortunately the driver survived with minor injuries.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-ct7.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks