Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2012, 20:15   #12346
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
Saw this at 8:30ish today morning. Looks like accident occurred in early hours of morning. My assessment - Driver dozed off. No ther vehicle was involved. Looks like the Safari over turned only after hitting the grass. No marks on the road or shoulder seen. Track marks on the grass were viible though.

Reason for the crowd to gather is partially because of me :(. I had to catch a bus and crossed the road and found this Safari. Curiously I tried to figure the cause and then went close to it. One by one people started gathering thinking its a fresh accident. Many stopped their vehicles and rushed to the scene. Explained to few that it hasnt happened now. Then, it was too late and a big crowd gathered. I slowly stepped out and took some pics. Safari was pretty badly damaged for what appeared to be a simple accident.
That right hand curve is a hot spot for crashes. My college was on that road and i used to travel by bus. I have seen cars from Merc GL to Omni who have been a victim to that curve. The problem is the road leading to that right hand curve is straight(almost 700 mts) and people gun the throttle.But the curve is deceiving. Its not as smooth turn as it appears and cuts pretty sharp.So people will get last moment jitters! And that curve is also a hot spot for people crossing roads. And one wrong move to the left and you are on that grass!

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
High speed crash near Mysore Road - NICE Road junction. Hond City splits in to two, 3 killed on the spot. Looks like tyre burst and over speeding was the cause for this accident.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/17436278.cms
This is also a very tempting curve. Combined with the fact that the road slopes downwards and towards the left at the same time make people to enjoy that slight g force!
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2012, 20:58   #12347
Distinguished - BHPian

This Tata truck jumped the road divider on National Highway no. 6 within Nagpur city in 2004 (though we have a Ring Road). Luckily, the truck got stalled and did not cause any damage to anyone in the moving traffic.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-picture-570.jpg
Old 3rd December 2012, 11:03   #12348
BHPian

Seems like there was an accident in Thoppur yesterday night. We passed that section around 8pm and there were 2 ambulances, police vehicles & a recovery truck trying to pull something from the left side of the road when we go towards Salem.

This curve is accident prone and there were a few humps before, but it has been removed now.
Old 4th December 2012, 00:13   #12349
BHPian

Two similar trucks were involved in a accident on the ring road connecting Tumkur Road and Mysore Road in Nagarabhavi and was told it happened early morning around 4:30 AM today (12/03 ). My guess is the driver of the Ashok Leyland truck dozed off and collided with the other truck which was just next to it while probably overtaking it.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_1016.jpg
Both the trucks are 18 Wheeler , the whole driver cabin is completely ripped in the Ashok Leyland truck.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_1018.jpg
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_1020.jpg

Looks like the right tyre of Ashok Leyland truck got struck between the other truck's carrier and the spare tyre.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_1022.jpg
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_1024.jpg

It happened at the same spot where a truck had jumped the main road and had fallen on the service road last month.
Link is here : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...-pics-819.html ( Post #12274 )
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_1026.jpg
Notice the missing concrete - that is the place where the oil tanker fell and also notice people painting on the road hump.
prguru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2012, 00:37   #12350
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prguru View Post
TMy guess is the driver of the Ashok Leyland truck dozed off and collided with the other truck which was just next to it while probably overtaking it.
Looks like the speed breaker could have caused this accident. The driver would have lost control after jumping over the speed breaker at a higher seed. Hence now they are painting the speed breaker for more visibility.
arun_josie is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2012, 13:25   #12351
BHPian

10 killed as minibus hits KSRTC bus near Bangalore

Quote:
BANGALORE: Ten persons, including five women and a 13-year-old girl, were killed when the minibus they were travelling in collided head on with a KSRTC bus on the outskirts of Bangalore on Monday evening.

The accident happened at Shivapura Cross, on Nandagudi Main Road, near Hoskote in Bangalore Rural district around 7pm.

The accident spot is about 40 km from the city, according to police.
source : 10 killed as minibus hits KSRTC bus near Bangalore

another link to the same news : Bangalore : 11 Killed, 15 Hurt in Bus Collision near Hoskote

pictures taken from : http://www.daijiworld.com
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-hoskote_1203121.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-hoskote_1203122.jpg  

Old 4th December 2012, 13:33   #12352
BHPian

Re: 10 killed as minibus hits KSRTC bus near Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
That's a very bad accident!!

May the souls of the departed rest in peace...
Old 4th December 2012, 22:13   #12353
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Looks like the speed breaker could have caused this accident. The driver would have lost control after jumping over the speed breaker at a higher seed. Hence now they are painting the speed breaker for more visibility.
Yes I guess you are right, may be the driver could not spot the hump and so he did not slow down, and he was probably sleepy to add to it . Guess that is the reason they are painting it again. It is really very hard to spot that hump and people will be speeding and if they are new on that route it is really very hard to spot unless they are very cautious but it gets worse at night. It was placed there because of the curve just a little ahead of this place, recently a zen crashed on the divider killing two because they could not take that curve at high speed. Now adding a hump has added to another problem it seems.
Old 4th December 2012, 22:40   #12354
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prguru View Post
It is really very hard to spot that hump and people will be speeding and if they are new on that route it is really very hard to spot unless they are very cautious but it gets worse at night. It was placed there because of the curve just a little ahead of this place, recently a zen crashed on the divider killing two because they could not take that curve at high speed. Now adding a hump has added to another problem it seems.
There are couple of speed breakers near Devanahalli as well which are huge and difficult to spot when it is dark. Being in Hyderabad-Bangalore highway makes it even more difficult because people come at a good speed and don't expect a speed breaker there especially the first timers.
Old 5th December 2012, 08:40   #12355
Senior - BHPian

Saw an accident on the Eastern Express highway in Thane going towards Ghodbunder Rd right opp Jupiter hospital a truck had turned turtle. Dont know if there were any casualities but definitley the traffic was affected. Funnily traffic came to standstill on the opp lane (going towards Mumbai)as there was a beeline of vehicles halting just to get a glimpse of the accident.
Old 5th December 2012, 10:05   #12356
Senior - BHPian

Today morning, a guy decided to take his brand new Ertiga (with ribbons on bonnet still intact) on unfamiliar and narrow village roads. He missed a sharp left turn and went off the road into a ditch. He hit his face on the windshield and cracked it (I don't care what happens to his face). A 108 ambulance came to pick him up.

He was possibly misled by the speedbreakers installed at all other sharp curves on that stretch.

For those familiar with rural areas in south east Bangalore, this happened in Mullur village.
Old 5th December 2012, 22:06   #12357
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
Today morning, a guy decided to take his brand new Ertiga (with ribbons on bonnet still intact) on unfamiliar and narrow village roads. He missed a sharp left turn and went off the road into a ditch.
This is second such incident (reported in this thread) in which a new ertiga has gone off the road and fallen into a ditch. I hope, in both the cases, the bad driving style was at fault and not the vehicle itself.

Maruti should take these incidents seriously and do an analysis regarding what led to the incident. If there is any design fault, it can atleast come to light by such an exercise. I , however, do not rule out bad driving style as the root cause, since many of the Ertiga drivers have graduated from hatchbacks and are expecting Ertiga to behave similarly, which probably it doesnt.
Old 5th December 2012, 22:32   #12358
Distinguished - BHPian

In narrow roads, especially village roads, it is difficult to control the car if we overspeed and are not sure about the terrain. Such incidents are common in my native village where people run off the roads irrespective of car or bike, due to a mixed bag of problems. A few of them that I have experienced are:
  • Loose soil
  • Narrow width of roads
  • Poor lighting in the dark
  • to add to the above point, it is difficult to differentiate between a non paved road and the area next to it.
  • Poor knowledge of the car's behaviour

It once happened that my cousin had brought his car first time to the village. I was in our farmland which is attached to the road. The road is muddy and is at most wide enough for two cars. As I saw him approach a semi sharp curve that occurs in between our land, this fellow steers the car, but without complaints it just keeps on course. He was at a moderate speed itself, but the soil on top of the road was so soft, the vehicle just carried on its straight course, and it was like a funny video for me. Thank god, in such areas there is a lot of open space. The car just came into our land and stopped As usual, my cousin had no clue of what happened. He told the same thing - "the steering did not work".

I think that the Ertiga incident(s) is also something similar.
Old 6th December 2012, 01:33   #12359
Senior - BHPian

Saw this really bad accident at agara circle, one biker seem to have lost his life, his head is 90% missing, looks to be crushed by some big vehicle along with some cheap looking helmet. Really sad scene!
Old 6th December 2012, 08:03   #12360
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post
Saw this really bad accident at agara circle, one biker seem to have lost his life, his head is 90% missing, looks to be crushed by some big vehicle along with some cheap looking helmet. Really sad scene!
Was it today? I drove through there at around 7:05 in the morning and did not notice anything. Or was it under the fly-over?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks