Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2012, 20:06   #12391
BHPian

The Safari story is another example of the importance of seat belts.
Old 13th December 2012, 22:04   #12392
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Irresponsible road users are the sole reason for accidents.

I have recently came back from a highway trip Chennai - Tvm and i can vouch that our highway infra-structure is good enough for doing speeds 130-150 km/hr. BUT.. fellow road users makes it only good enough to do 80-100 km/hr.

To have a safe ride on our 4-laned divided highway, i follow these
1. Always keep an eye on median
Reason:
I have seen Cows/Human jumping to the road from the median without watching vehicles on road. Cows are not to be blamed though.

2. Slow down at curves and avoid overtaking at curves even though on this two-laned well built highway.
Reason:
You will be surprised to see vehicles coming head on to you (irrespective of right/left lane).
Some might ride his way old TVS moped at ~20 km/hr on the right most lane

3. Whenever you cross a little town better slow down to 80 km/hr
Reason:
Probablity of all the reasons mentioned above.

4. Slow down at intersections
Reason:
Vehicles (Tractors/Mopeds/Buses/Trucks)jumping in to/crossing the highway without noticing high speed vehicles on highway.

5. Blow horn/Flash intermittently while overtaking.
Reason:
You can't be sure that the vehicle you overtake maintains the same lane, so better convey via horn/flash that you are overtaking him.

6. Drive slowly at nights or better avoid driving at nights
Reason:
High beam powerfull lights from oncoming vehicles almost blind you. Trucks without rear light or even a reflector can't be visible at all from behind. I can only do 80 km/h at nights.

Onething I have noticed that people doing 140+ and maintains the same speed in Intersections, while crossing towns, Overtaking, etc its like welcoming disaster.

My tip.. Do always give buffer space for others mistake. It will save you.

Last edited by DRIVE_ADDICT : 13th December 2012 at 22:06.
DRIVE_ADDICT is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 16th December 2012, 08:40   #12393
BHPian

Noticed this one in front of a police station. The air bag system seems to have worked.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20121215-10.56.24.jpg
Old 16th December 2012, 22:32   #12394
Distinguished - BHPian

I was driving back from Pune to Bangalore on the 14th December 2012 night. Saw an accident where the VRL bit a tractor at the junction near Belgaum. The windshield and the right side window panes were broken.

Not sure about casualties as the police were getting the mangled tractor out for the way. By the way, the Volvo driver cabin did not have too much damage. Impressed by the safety of Volvo.

No pics are the traffic was a bit on the heavier side.
Old 17th December 2012, 10:35   #12395
Senior - BHPian

Yet another gruesome accident on the ECR in Chennai. College girl dies, 6 others injured as car hits median on ECR, overturns.

RIP young lady!

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-thcar_1300951f.jpg

Credits: The Hindu

Just wondering how 7 people managed to fit into the i20. I just wish they were all buckled up. And setting out for a drive at 2 am is not the wisest thing to do!

Last edited by Warwithwheels : 17th December 2012 at 10:40.
Old 17th December 2012, 11:57   #12396
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
Yet another gruesome accident on the ECR in Chennai. College girl dies, 6 others injured as car hits median on ECR, overturns. RIP young lady!
The car flipped thrice, as per the report. Looks like during one of the flips the car roof landed on the median or edge of the kerb, which might have caused the injury to the front passenger who lost her life. RIP to the girl who lost her life.

No doubt SUVs are more prone to toppling, but this accident shows that things can go topsy-turvy with hatchbacks and sedans too, at high speeds.
Old 17th December 2012, 12:07   #12397
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yet another gruesome accident on the ECR in Chennai. College girl dies, 6 others injured as car hits median on ECR, overturns.

RIP young lady!

Attachment 1028023

Credits: The Hindu

Just wondering how 7 people managed to fit into the i20. I just wish they were all buckled up. And setting out for a drive at 2 am is not the wisest thing to do!
What to do saar, they show these midnight drives in MOVIES and kids replicate the same. From the looks of it, they might have brushed the median at high speed and lost control. It doesn't seem to be a head on impact with the median as the front seems to be INTACT.

Trust me, people at my work place often give me a angry look when I tell them only 5 can be seated in my SWIFT, when we go out for team lunches.
Old 17th December 2012, 12:17   #12398
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Trust me, people at my work place often give me a angry look when I tell them only 5 can be seated in my SWIFT, when we go out for team lunches.
Unfortunately we thrive on convenience for moment, and adjustments. With 7 people in a car, even if 5 are belted up, the added two are good enough to jeopardize safety of all the occupants.
Old 17th December 2012, 12:22   #12399
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooza View Post
The car flipped thrice, as per the report. Looks like during one of the flips the car roof landed on the median or edge of the kerb, which might have caused the injury to the front passenger who lost her life. RIP to the girl who lost her life.
What a waste of life. For a three flip, the car body has withstood the impact pretty well (roof not caved in completely). Wish there was no overload and people were buckled up.

Quote:
No doubt SUVs are more prone to toppling, but this accident shows that things can go topsy-turvy with hatchbacks and sedans too, at high speeds.
There is this saying - "Make something idiot proof and somebody will make a better idiot"? Any car can have this fate; only thing is that you have to place a person capable of ignoring the limits of the car, the road and self, at the driver's seat.

Last edited by A350XWB : 17th December 2012 at 12:24.
A350XWB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2012, 13:50   #12400
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Even a lowish curb will do it. Even to a lowish car.

<Edit> Quickly realised my possible scenario was all wrong, so deleted it.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 17th December 2012 at 13:52.
Old 17th December 2012, 20:07   #12401
BHPian

Quote:
Just wondering how 7 people managed to fit into the i20.!
For a generation which feels riding with 4 people on a bike is "super cool", 7 in a car for a 2am drive seems like a deadly idea. Unfortunately for one, it turned deadly in literal terms.

RIP
mannubhai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2012, 01:24   #12402
Distinguished - BHPian

I can remember a vehicle full of people on a cross-London trip where the last people had to be lifted in and out. Pre-seat-belt days, but we would still have been in trouble with the police if stopped. Overloading? We were literally packed in. We knew that, and the driver did not take any attention-attracting risks, let alone life threatening ones.

On the other hand, did we think, at the time, that it was stupid? Nope. Which is why education is the only answer.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th December 2012, 15:59   #12403
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
On the other hand, did we think, at the time, that it was stupid? Nope. Which is why education is the only answer.
It doesnt come by education alone. Some of these highspeed/overloaded crashes are planned and executed by very well educated young guns.

It comes by experience and some bit of maturity. Some live to reach that sanity , but, unfortunately for some, the time runs out.
Old 18th December 2012, 17:23   #12404
Senior - BHPian

Our medians are not visible at night. I have seen them especially when they tar the roads anew and they have not yet painted that white or yellow strip just before the median. I usually drive on lane that isn't next to the median.
Old 18th December 2012, 18:26   #12405
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannubhai View Post
It doesnt come by education alone. Some of these highspeed/overloaded crashes are planned and executed by very well educated young guns.

It comes by experience and some bit of maturity. Some live to reach that sanity , but, unfortunately for some, the time runs out.
Oh yes. I put it badly, I didn't mean normal education of the school or college kind, but, very specifically, education about roads, cars and driving.

That
is the only kind of education that will reduce accidents of all kinds.

I mentioned, a while back, a London colleague, who wrote off a company car. It was an expensive car, one of the most expensive on the fleet. It was a powerful car: he did not know the thing about not braking on a curve. Lack of education was a major cause in his accident.

General education can help, if it includes better attitudes, a bit of humility, some patience, and so on. Better people are likely to be better drivers, but they still need to be taught to drive.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks