Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2012, 05:42   #12436
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasadee View Post
Point is - it is not illegal. The roads have less traffic, and college kids may have nothing to do in the morning. Even now everytime I am in Bangalore, I am jet lagged, and the only time I feel like going out is after 11.00pm. Safety because of drowsiness is a concern that is the reason they make red bull.

Just driving at mid night is not illegal. Breaking the speed limit, not wearing seat belt, and overloading is. We also need to be realistic in setting expectations for teenagers and youngsters. When they are convinced driving at midnight with a few beers is safe, all we can ask for is to get a designated driver, and follow the rules.
Oh my!! That's not the point at all. We are not discussing a legal issue here. The whole discussion is only about safety.

If you are comfortable driving out at nights, please go ahead, Its perfectly alright to do so. It is nobody's business to stop you. But please don't generalise on that.

There are enough literature available to prove that night driving is not all that safe. Heck, even many of our very own bhpians who are veterans don't consider it safe to drive during that particular time.

Last edited by Warwithwheels : 21st December 2012 at 05:46.
Old 21st December 2012, 07:27   #12437
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarvodaya View Post
An Application for Driving Licence supposed to be signed by an RTO Officer.
Show me anything that runs without corruption in the state of Karnataka.

Heck, even going to a driving school and learning how to drive will teach you nothing. I went to a driving school as we did not have a car. I am talking Ambassador days. On most occasions the instructor would insist that I over take and I knew that the car would not make it as there was oncoming traffic. I had to do it. The screw up was the instructor had his own set of controls too so if I hesitated he would take over. I did not have the courage to argue with the instructor. Every time we did this scary over taking attempt, I would be trembling as we were about to have a head on collision. This is how driving lessons are given and that is why we have so many careless drivers on our roads. I am also not surprised why drivers from Kerala drive on the limit most of the time. I was one of them. I was taught to drive with zero regard for anyone else on the road. I had to educate myself on what is right and what is wrong and to be a civilized driver on the road.

Heck, for my two wheeler test, I got a Bajaj M80 with a pre adjusted clutch. It would never stall and I passed my two wheeler exam because of this. I had not figured out how to use the clutch otherwise.

With driving lessons like this, there is no scope to make our roads safer. It is all down to your luck and the man up there when you are out on the road.
sandeepmohan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st December 2012, 09:00   #12438
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post

Heck, for my two wheeler test, I got a Bajaj M80 with a pre adjusted clutch. It would never stall and I passed my two wheeler exam because of this. I had not figured out how to use the clutch otherwise.
What's a pre-adjusted clutch? How does it work? And if the vehicle actually doesn't stall, then why isn't it given on all vehicles?
Old 21st December 2012, 09:42   #12439
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Show me anything that runs without corruption in the state of Karnataka.

Heck, even going to a driving school and learning how to drive will teach you nothing. I went to a driving school as we did not have a car. I am talking Ambassador days. On most occasions the instructor would insist that I over take and I knew that the car would not make it as there was oncoming traffic. I had to do it.

With driving lessons like this, there is no scope to make our roads safer. It is all down to your luck and the man up there when you are out on the road.
This is very true. Also, bringing down the accident rates or bad drivers can't be changed overnight or just by forwards from BTP or posters like "Some one is waiting for you". "Speed thrills but Kills " etc.

I always feel that the driving schools are the main culprits for the half-baked drivers on the road( I was one few years back). All they teach is ABC-Accelerator, Brake, Clutch. During my driving license test, the inspector asked me to drive for few meters and nothing else. The written test which I was supposed to do was taken care by the driving school.

During my driving sessions with the driving school, I was not even taught about some basic stuffs mentioned below. Also, since I was the first in my family to learn driving, there was not much scope to learn from elders as well,

1) Managing inclines, bumper to bumper traffic
2) Braking distance, Braking at curves, Signals, Use of ABS, Maintaining the tyres
3) Lane discipline, Do-s and Don't-s on the Highway
4) Do-s and Don't-s while parking the car, Overtaking,
5) Using Headlight(Dim/Bright), indicators
6) Driving during rainy season,
7) Importance of Seat Belts, Child Seats.
8) Traffic Symbols, Limitations of your car etc.

Even today, most of the driving schools are doing the same thing and they can also get you the license in your absence, without you attending any test. I have seen driving school cars taking U turn at No U turn signals, jumping signals, taking turn without indicators etc all while teaching a newbie. If a newbie driver is not taught about these basic rules,then the only other opportunity for him to learn is based on experience or through forums like team-bhp. Till then, he will be a bad driver on the road putting others' life at risk. A bad driving sense once learned is very difficult to unlearn.
arun_josie is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 21st December 2012, 10:28   #12440
BHPian

This happened yesterday evening at 4pm on the new Ravet Bridge (Iron Bridge). It seems the iron railings were already in shambles due to a tanker crashing into it some days back. The zen was being driven at high speed and went flying and crashed onto the river bed below.
Locals told me that there was only one occupant who was severely injured but conscious at the time of rescue. He has suffered a broken back.

This particular area around the bridge has become a hotbed for speeding and rash driving.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_0235.jpg
Old 21st December 2012, 13:14   #12441
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Added_flavor View Post
What's a pre-adjusted clutch? How does it work?
I don't know how the clutch is adjusted so that the motor stays running. Basically, I could let go of the clutch and not have to give any throttle input. The throttle is also set higher than idle so the motor does not cut out. Its many years but I still remember the instructor handing over the bike with just the brakes engaged and not pulling the clutch lever. The engine did not stall. It stayed running with no clutch input. All I did was release the brakes to get it moving. Zero clutch action from my left hand.
Old 21st December 2012, 15:08   #12442
BHPian

Bangalore mirror report on "killers"

http://www.bangaloremirror.com/artic...ss-sleeps.html
Old 21st December 2012, 16:46   #12443
Senior - BHPian

i think there was a accident at foot of the KR Puram flyover (the end heading towards Rammurthy Nagar signal). when i joined the KR Puram flyover from OMR, the traffic was piled up on the flyover and i couldn't see what it was that was causing the jam. when i got closer to the turn off to Kasturinagar, i realized everybody was stopping their vehicles (bikes, cars, vans, trucks) to get a look at what had happned, on both sides!!

bloody vultures!

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-image2381215327.jpg
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-image3127445027.jpg

Last edited by IronH4WK : 21st December 2012 at 17:08.
Old 21st December 2012, 17:01   #12444
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan View Post

This particular area around the bridge has become a hotbed for speeding and rash driving.

Attachment 1029368
The main reason is the butter-smooth long road of Ravet originating from Dange Chowk. Quite a few bhpians (including me) have over-speed on this road.
Old 24th December 2012, 15:41   #12445
BHPian

Re: Accidents : Vehicles catching fire in India

Quote:
Two Marathi actors - Akshay Pense and Anand Abhyankar - were killed early this morning when their Santro car collided into a mini-truck on Mumbai-Pune Express highway.
One infant accompanying them was also killed.
http://www.indiatvnews.com/entertain...ighw-5875.html
Old 24th December 2012, 17:19   #12446
Senior - BHPian

Two popular Marathi Actors killed in an Accident on Mumbai - Pune Expressway:

Two popular Marathi film and television actors were killed when their car met with an accident on the Mumbai-Pune Expressway.

The car of actors - Anand Abhyankar and Akshay Pendse - who were on way to Mumbai on Sunday night, collided with a Pune-bound tempo which lost control and crashed into the lane divider, they said.

Full story here:
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/17740885.cms

I feel deeply sad everytime I listen of a fatal accident on Mumbai-Pune Expressway. Seems this Expressway is becoming deadly day after day, everyday.

Thanks,
Old 24th December 2012, 17:37   #12447
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jignesh View Post
Seems this Expressway is becoming deadly day after day, everyday.
It's not expressway that is becoming deadly, it's the bad drivers out there on the roads. Most of the people these days think that they are as good as F1 drivers behind the wheels even when they don't have even a little common sense.

Don't get me wrong I am not blaming anybody in this case without knowing the complete details, but in today's traffic/highways you have to adopt a very defensive style of driving and be prepared for other people's mistakes.
Old 24th December 2012, 17:59   #12448
Senior - BHPian

Saw a crash at HSR Layout signal which falls before the Reliance Autozone.
A Silver Maruti Swift collided with an Indica Taxi (what else).
The Taxi was taking an illegal U-turn. While the Swift was crossing the Green signal. I was waiting at signal with others to take a turn left towards the KC Das side.

90% Taxi driver fault. 10% Swift driver fault. He forgot he is driving in India.

The signals which is green and with no one crossing it, is deadly. Sooner or later some moron from other side will cross thinking no one is coming from other side to cross the green signal.

So Brothers, when you see the road ahead is empty with signal green then do not speed up. Speed down. And cross it slowly muttering prayers. Honk and Flash lights too.

Better be safe.
download2live is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th December 2012, 18:00   #12449
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
Most of the people these days think that they are as good as F1 drivers behind the wheels even when they don't have even a little common sense.
Hello Vikram,

Yes. You are absolutely correct. But how long will irresponsible drivers claims others lives. In this case it was a tempo that lost control & jumped the divider & ultimately these two actors. My heart goes out for those who died & their families.

It is true that we have to drive very carefully & be prepared for other's mistakes. But don't you think that right now in India citizens in general & drivers in particular are really lacking common sense when it comes to their own & other's safety & well-being. I mean how long we will be allow some rash driver to kill someone's life & family's dreams? Don't you think something has gone wrong in our upbringing, otherwise we would not see people ready to abuse & hit others over petty traffic offences.

I am really sorry for the cynicism, but I really feel sad when I see a road accident or people fighting over petty issues.

Thanks,
Old 24th December 2012, 18:16   #12450
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post

It's not expressway that is becoming deadly, it's the bad drivers out there on the roads. Most of the people these days think that they are as good as F1 drivers behind the wheels even when they don't have even a little common sense.

Don't get me wrong I am not blaming anybody in this case without knowing the complete details, but in today's traffic/highways you have to adopt a very defensive style of driving and be prepared for other people's mistakes.
Very true Vikram. It's not the roads but the irresponsible driver that's responsible for accidents most of the time. Yesterday night I saw the crushed wagon-R on the expressway and I knew it was bad...

I myself had a scare when a speeding Octavia flashed his lights, I being on the rightmost lane put my left indicator and start to switch lanes to the middle. Next thing I know that idiot passes me from the left. He must have been doing easily 140 plus at that point to have passed me like that. Even a slight brush could have serious consequences at such speeds. People need to understand that we are not all in some race and start to drive responsibly.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks