Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 25th December 2012, 23:41   #12466
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Result, the roof of the car was ripped apart & three of the occupants in their mid twenties have to pay the price with their lives. RIP

Attachment 1030544
People, those who own or drive trucks like these, really do not understand why the government has imposed a mandatory under-run protection system for such trucks. Little do they know that two thick Iron bars hanging down from the side and rear could have at least saved a few more lives, if not all. Body builders(not the gym type) learn to imitate features found in foreign designs like the Volvo, Mercedes etc into their creations, thereby ending up in creating lookalikes that can easily fool a common person. However, along with fancy features and designs, they must also look into such safety features.

If not expensive collapsible bumpers, ABS etc, why cant they at least add a couple of metal bars in the sides of such trucks? Here, these days I see most of commercial vehicles having them around. Guess this truck was one in a bunch only. The mistake might have been the Figo's driver itself, but the resulting formalities or rather hassles would be a pain for the truck driver/owner too. Instead, he could have reduced all these troubles by adopting simple safety devices like these. If such a system were in place, I bet the occupants(provided they were wearing seatbelts) would have been safe, in spite of the front end of the car getting crushed.
Old 26th December 2012, 10:07   #12467
Senior - BHPian

I just read in today's Deccan Herald that three engineering students riding on a bike near Hulimavu at night, crashed into a dump truck parked on the road. 2 died on the spot and the third died in Nimhans. All 3 were from Himachal.

The article also mentioned that the truck's parking lights were not switched on. It is a rare thing for newspapers to give clues about how accidents could have been prevented.

I am sure the truck did not have rear bumper or safety rod.

The fault is also with bikers. Why were there 3 people on a bike? What speed were they in, if 2 of them had to die on the spot?

With these questions, it would be easy for the truck driver to get acquitted.
Old 26th December 2012, 10:21   #12468
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
I just read in today's Deccan Herald that three engineering students riding on a bike near Hulimavu at night, crashed into a dump truck parked on the road. 2 died on the spot and the third died in Nimhans. All 3 were from Himachal......
TOI has a more conflicting story !!! It says that the bike was on the wrong lane. So if that is the case, then how did it ram into the rear of the truck ?? and what does it have to do with the tail light / parking light not being ON ? That should have been a head-on collision. Either the truck was parked on the wrong lane, or the trio wanted to do a quickie / shortcut by riding into the wrong lane.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/17763629.cms

Anyways, RIP for the trio, just because they were teens. Hard lessons learnt for their younger cousins atleast !!!
Old 26th December 2012, 11:33   #12469
BHPian

Sorry I do not have pics, but want to describe this manic Christmas Day I experienced yesterday.

1. Morning Papers carried the news of two actors killed by a truck, which was in the fast lane on M-P-Expressway, and then hit the right median and apparently crossed over to the opposite side of the road hitting a WagonR on the right. 3 casulaties include the two actors and one 2 year old infant. RIP.

2. Witnessed the second accident on Mumbai Nasik road, when a biker fell down with his helmet completely smashed to pieces, and was being carried away. Didn't see any blood, so my prayers that he survived and all izz well.

3. I was in my car with wife and kids at Nasik, almost completely at a halt, when a female biker hit the car's bumper at right with full speed. The girl was unharmed, but bumper was smashed. I just could not see any reason why she'd hit my car on a long straight scantily traffic'ed road! But forgave her instantly, and even offered her tea to get over her shock.

4. Saw a major accident near Shahapur, a trailer had mangled, and a red swift was in the ditches. Looked like there may have been a life lost - if indeed - my prayers for the deceased.

5. Saw another biker fall off his bike near Thane, but again - nothing even close to fatal.

I've been on the Mumbai-Nasik trip countless number of times, but the number of accidents I saw yesterday was not only abnormal, but absolutely unexplained. Manic day - truly.

Last edited by Fornax : 26th December 2012 at 11:34.
Fornax is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2012, 13:21   #12470
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
I have never seen/heard such a horrible accident in the recent past.
When i read the news in yesterdays news paper i was shocked to see the state of the vehicle.

Everyone knows its killer stretch and most of the accidents on balm beach road are due to high speeds but all the past history goes in vain when one have hands on steering and speed demon in mind.

RIP
Old 26th December 2012, 14:17   #12471
BHPian

I see a lot of maniac temp travellers( I hate these yellow killing machines ) with their brake lights kaput.

It becomes increasingly difficult for someone following the traveller to apply brakes in time. I have to keep my foot ready for brake with such vehicles. Why is there no fine for such faulty vehicles with no brake lights working?
Old 26th December 2012, 14:23   #12472
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jignesh View Post
Two popular Marathi Actors killed in an Accident on Mumbai - Pune Expressway:
The car of actors - Anand Abhyankar and Akshay Pendse - who were on way to Mumbai on Sunday night, collided with a Pune-bound tempo which lost control and crashed into the lane divider, they said.
Pictures of the above accident:

Mangled remains of the Car:

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1.jpg

The Tempo that was responsible for this accident:

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-2.jpg

I wonder how fast was the Tempo at time of accident that it lost control, jumped the divider & crashed into the Car.

Two year old son of actor - Akshay Pendse was killed in this accident, while his wife & driver are saved.

Look at the co-incidence - The Driver was driving the car all the way & just some time before the accident the actor asked him to sit back & chose to drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
All 3 people have died on spot. Still not able to believe what i saw. How can a car tear like this? The entire base in torn, the roof got cut near a pillar.
Hello Mjothi,

The picture of Icon wrapped around the tree is unbelievable. No doubt all the 3 occupants died. But I wonder how come the tree is still standing straight despite bearing impact of a 1+ Ton Car hitting at speed of 100+ (assumption)

Thanks,

Last edited by Jignesh : 26th December 2012 at 14:28. Reason: Information added
Old 26th December 2012, 14:53   #12473
BHPian

Palm Beach road accident captured in CCTV

Posting the link of video from IBN lokmat.

http://www.ibnlokmat.tv/showvideo.php?id=270842

Picture source: Navi Mumbai Tips (Facebook)
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-palm-beach.jpg  

Last edited by driving_smartly : 26th December 2012 at 14:54.
driving_smartly is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th December 2012, 15:05   #12474
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jignesh View Post
But I wonder how come the tree is still standing straight despite bearing impact of a 1+ Ton Car hitting at speed of 100+ (assumption)
Coconut trees are extremely strong. Any one who has ever tried to cut one down will vouch for this fact. These trees are capable of wrapping buses and trucks around them, so what's a car when compared to those two?
vikram_d is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2012, 15:11   #12475
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by driving_smartly View Post

The video shows the driver did not see the trailer till the last moment. The brake light is seen hardly few feet from impact! There was no way ANY vehicle would come to a halt from that speed in such short time!
Old 26th December 2012, 15:11   #12476
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroback View Post
I see a lot of maniac temp travellers( I hate these yellow killing machines ) with their brake lights kaput.

It becomes increasingly difficult for someone following the traveller to apply brakes in time. I have to keep my foot ready for brake with such vehicles. Why is there no fine for such faulty vehicles with no brake lights working?
with you completely. Well charging fine for such faulty vehicles with no brake lights working is not in our hand. What we can do is keep in mind these simple guideliness while following such vehicles or any vehicle for that matter:
  1. Never tailgate any vehicle, however confident you are about your brakes.
  2. If it is a small car in front of you, through which you can clearly see the road ahead, look at the road well beyond the car in front of you & adjust the trailing distance accordingly.
  3. If it is a bigger vehicle in front of you, which is blocking your view of the road ahead, increase the gap between that vehicle & yours as you need to be prepared for any unforeseen obstacles on the road ahead.
  4. Most importantly check the brake lamps of the vehicle you are following. If its brake lamps are not functioning then increase the gap to double or triple (depending on the speed). This will give you sufficient time & margin & avoid the rear ending of the vehicle in front of you, in case it decides to an emergency or panic braking.
  5. Also observe your rear view mirror. If someone is tailgating you, tap your brakes several times (provided your brake lamps are working fine). This will give a warning signal to the vehicle following you & he would avoid tailgating.
Quote:

Thanks driving_smartly for sharing that link. Absolutely clear cut CCTV footage showing what a lax driver of that ill-fated Ford Figo was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Added_flavor View Post
The video shows the driver did not see the trailer till the last moment. The brake light is seen hardly few feet from impact! There was no way ANY vehicle would come to a halt from that speed in such short time!
Spot on. Was the driver of that Figo dozing off at the wheel. Look at the left side of the Figo. There you can see a bike rider, who saw the container crossing the road & applied his brakes well in time & slowed down. The Figo driver didn't even notice that. He must have learnt the lesson "Speed thrills, but kills", in the harshest of the ways. RIP poor fellas

Last edited by AutoIndian : 26th December 2012 at 15:23.
Old 26th December 2012, 15:32   #12477
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Added_flavor View Post
The speed must be in high 1xx Kms, but how on earth he did not manage see such a huge trailer, sheer negligence on part of Figo driver. A regular driver on palm beach heading towards Belapur would have slowed down knowing that there ample of trailers plying on that junction towards JNPT, be it night or day.

Umpteen number of times i have seen people jumping the signal on that junction when there are no cops. Nobody wants to wait for few secs / minutes, everyone is in hurry to reach the destination.

Sometimes this kind of recklessness leads them to uncalled destination.

Last edited by driving_smartly : 26th December 2012 at 15:37.
Old 26th December 2012, 15:53   #12478
BHPian

The Ikon breaking up into two is not new. Have seen couple of Fords broken in the middle. You can see another one in the first page of this forum.

May the deceased Rest in Peace.

Last edited by nettooran : 26th December 2012 at 15:56.
Old 26th December 2012, 16:01   #12479
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello Driving_smartly,

Thank you for the pictures.

It is really surprising. In the three pictures you have posted, one can see a biker spotting the Container trailer well in advance & applying brakes & also managed to stop perfectly. But the Figo driver probably dozed for a second or was busy doing something like reading a message in phone.

What a terrible manner to lose ones life. The roads here are becoming deadly everyday.

Thanks,
Old 26th December 2012, 16:13   #12480
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

That video gave me goosebumps !!! How can someone not notice that huge trailer from > 300 mts !!! Eitherway, he was dozing off, looking somewhere else or was too drunk to have run into that massive trailer !!!

Whenever I cross a signal anytime, round the clock, irrespective of the signal status, I ensure that I atleast lift off my foot from the accelerator.

There is no replacement for such tragedy and loss of lives. Hopefully their near and dear ones (youngsters and elderly ones), who drive, get cautious henceforth. RIP.

Most Viewed