Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th December 2012, 12:20   #12511
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushantr5 View Post
Presence of bottles does not mean it is case of drunk driving. May be driver is not drunk. May be he is carrying alcohol to his home. Postmortem report will clear the things.
The survivor who was lying down in the rear has said that all of them were drinking . This being a drink n drive case doesnt deserve any more discussions . Idiots!! If not for the CCTV camera , the truck driver would have been arrested for rash and negligient driving .

Somehow the logic of having speedbreakers on only one road before an intersection is wierd.Which means , one set of drivers would slow ,while the ones on the main road will continue at triple digit speeds. Common sense says one has to always slow down when approaching an intersection.
speedsatya is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th December 2012, 12:30   #12512
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasuki View Post
As shown in the footage, the light you define as break light is actually parking lights. He breaked at the last second , can seen from the fact / footage just seconds before collision, and the second red light @ top of parking light came on. This clearly shows he did notice the container, but probably saw it too late.
Have to disagree with you. The light you define as parking lights is also the brake light in Figo. There is no separate brake light for Figo in the tail lamp cluster. High mount stop lamp above the rear windscreen is not a parking light and that is on when the car enters the video frame, which is already mentioned in the thread and thats why we concluded that the driver braked (did he brake hard enough is a different question and the answer is obvious). The second red light that you described are the indicators/hazard light that is switched on in case of heavy braking (scenario where this happens is already mentioned in this thread.)
zenren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2012, 12:41   #12513
Senior - BHPian

Three members of a family die in CNG Swift Dzire:

Full story here: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/17774180.cms

Six members of a family were going to attend a wedding ceremony after filling CNG in Car. But just within 100 metres of the CNG Station, Car stalled & caught fire. Passengers were trapped inside as central locking of the Car jammed & their attempt to break the windshield glass failed.

Now, the saddest past of the incident - two children aged 8 & 12 died in this accident.

Thanks,
Old 27th December 2012, 12:43   #12514
Senior - BHPian

The guys in the Figo had alcohol and the alive friend admitted the same in his statement to the police.

Secondly, these are small 'rumblers' and not speed breakers. I know this for a fact because I have travelled on this road 10 million times. Now let me give you the advantage and disadvantage in this situation

Advantage

1) Because of the rumblers, people who know this road tend to slow down to almost 1 and 2 kmph to pass them.

2) People who care for their car slow down to 1 and 2 kmph to pass them

Disadvantage -

1) If you are going at high speeds and have no time to brake, its better to not try and brake over these rumblers as your car will spin out of control if you heavy brake over these rumblers. Infact even a sudden moment of the steering to avoid a car while travelling over these rumblers can unsettle things beyond control.

2) If you do heavy brake over these patches like the Figo did, no way in hell your speed will reduce by much.

Finally I think the Figo guy was completely at fault here. Having a drink or 2 must have reduced his reaction times as people would steer away from such incidents, like climb the divider on the left, hit the divider on the right and in extreme situation bang the tyres of the trailer.

Secondly, Why would you go militant over intersections is beyond human comprehension.

Anyway may the deceased rest in peace.

Last edited by humyum : 27th December 2012 at 12:45.
Old 27th December 2012, 13:37   #12515
BHPian

Yesterday seemed like a tragic day marred with accidents in Kerala, including this:

Four persons, including two four-year-old boys, and an 18-year-old girl, were killed and 10 others, most of them women, were grievously injured in a collision between a private bus and an autorickshaw on the busy Kanhangad-Kasaragod State Highway. The dead were in the autorickshaw, along with six others who were injured

10 people in an auto ?

http://www.thehindu.com/news/states/...cle4242624.ece
Old 27th December 2012, 13:48   #12516
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As shown in the footage, the light you define as break light is actually parking lights. He breaked at the last second , can seen from the fact / footage just seconds before collision, and the second red light @ top of parking light came on. This clearly shows he did notice the container, but probably saw it too late.
If you have noticed braking light over the rear windshield on any car, you wouldn't have told this. The Figo guy's foot was on the brake in the entire video footage. It was just that he wasn't braking heavily until the last second, which is clear if you notice when the hazard lights got triggered automatically when Figo decelerates hard from speeds above 90Kmph.

So it is also clear that he was above 90kmph even meters before the hit.

Last edited by clevermax : 27th December 2012 at 13:50.
clevermax is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2012, 13:49   #12517
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Completely wrong. As I posted earlier. The footage clearly shows the centrally mounted lamp is always on in the video from the beginning. This lamp comes on only of brakes are pressed and is not connected to parking/driving lights.

The parking/driving lights and brake lamp are a single bulb.

The lights that you see turn on in the last minute are the emergency hazard blinkers. These turn on automatically when you slam the brakes hard at speeds above 96KMPH.

He did not see it too late as you can see the headlights are clearly illuminating the container. He infact braked as can be seen by the brake lights. Being in an inebriated state he did not brake enough. At the last minute he slammed on the brakes causing the hazards to flash.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2012, 14:42   #12518
Senior - BHPian

A car with ABS functions better when you slam on the brakes and not by slowly applying pressure.

Scientifically i may be wrong but i always feel an ABS enabled car, when slammed hard stops faster than gradually applying brakes.

The ABS needs to get activated. On Gradual application the ABS may remain inactive.

Secondly the second view shows the speed at which the car hits the truck. What if this was a brake failure all together. Even with 40 feet to go we can see the driver atleast tried to brake.

I am happy that the bike rider was not a casualty in this case. No swerve means the ABS would have been activated for he stayed in a perfectly straight line.
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2012, 15:06   #12519
Distinguished - BHPian

A quick Google tells me that stopping distance at 96kph is 240 feet, or Eighteen car length. However long he had had his foot on the brake pedal, he needed another 240 feet to stop, but he was already almost at the impact point.

idiot+alcohol=multiple death. There's no point in any other what-ifs, but I'm sorry for his family, his passengers, their families, and the poor truck driver who now has to face so much problem.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 27th December 2012 at 15:08.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2012, 15:18   #12520
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
A car with ABS functions better when you slam on the brakes and not by slowly applying pressure.
Exactly. That's how the ABS starts to kick in. But it is not certain that the car involved in the accident was the Top end Titanium Version, which comes equipped with ABS

I personally believe that Figo Top end equipped with ABS has got the best brakes in the segment.

Recently was driving on the highway in my Figo. It was an open stretch with a very slight decline. Was doing about 60 kmph and from no where came this buffalo on my way.

Spotted it about some few meters away and just stood on the brakes. Heard some weird noise under the hood. But the vehicle did not swerve and remained in straight line. No tire marks what so ever on the road. The vehicle did stop just a few feet away from the holy cow!!

Last edited by Warwithwheels : 27th December 2012 at 15:20.
Old 27th December 2012, 17:21   #12521
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
The survivor who was lying down in the rear has said that all of them were drinking . This being a drink n drive case doesnt deserve any more discussions .
There goes the insurance claim for car, life and 3rd party. I remember, once somewhere in KL, the locals swiftly removed the bottles from a wrecked car (3 died) so the kin can claim compensation from insurance. Not sure how far it is true, but my sympathies to the bereaved family.
Old 27th December 2012, 17:34   #12522
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgmitr13 View Post

There goes the insurance claim for car, life and 3rd party. I remember, once somewhere in KL, the locals swiftly removed the bottles from a wrecked car (3 died) so the kin can claim compensation from insurance. Not sure how far it is true, but my sympathies to the bereaved family.
I have no sympathies for them. Drunk drivers like this one will kill themselves and other innocent law abiding drivers also with them.
Old 27th December 2012, 17:45   #12523
Distinguished - BHPian

Can't imagine how the Figo driver rammed into the trailer without even slowing down one bit . No steering input , no brakes, no skid.

It seems to me driver of the Figo saw the trailer move across the road, got his foot off the accelerator and on the brakes, but doesn't brake hard as he thought its just a regular truck. He saw the front wheels go across the road, calculates, what he assumes to be the rear wheels of the truck, will pass by the time his car reaches the intersection, leaving the road empty for him to pass. Only at the last moment he realises that its pulling a container. He slams on his brakes lighting up the hazard lights before he crashes into the trailer.

The two wheeler rider on the left would have also obscured his view of the trailing container somewhat.

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 27th December 2012 at 17:50.
Santoshbhat is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 27th December 2012, 19:09   #12524
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Only at the last moment he realises that its pulling a container. He slams on his brakes lighting up the hazard lights before he crashes into the trailer.

The two wheeler rider on the left would have also obscured his view of the trailing container somewhat.
Which sane person would continue to approach an intersection at 100 kph and take chances at passing a truck based on its speed or length.

This Figo would have crashed into the car on the left of the truck , if this trailer hadnt blocked them. Anyways they would have crashed !
speedsatya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th December 2012, 21:13   #12525
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Anyways they would have crashed !
That's about the whole of it. Not much else to say about this accident, and yet a lot has been said.

Maybe the driver actually was suicidal and the truck was a handy coincidence. It does happen. We can go on like this for ever --- or, at least, until the mods say, "enough is enough."

I think enough is enough already. But I wish none of us would forget that video --- each and every time we approach a cross roads or junction.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks