Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2013, 15:50   #12571
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Spotted this a while back at mangalore.

Speeding Indigo joined the road without any indication and came in the way of buses that seemed to have been racing each other. The yellow bus hit the side of the indigo inturn propelling it into the divider. It then swerved to the left and hit the hit the green bus forcing it into the bus stop railings.

Noone was badly injured.

This pace is a very busy spot on the highway. Fortunately it was a Saturday and the school next door had closed for the day or it would have been a nasty scene!

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-acci.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-acci-1.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-acci-2.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-acci-3.jpg
Old 5th January 2013, 16:54   #12572
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_naik View Post
I felt sorry for the co passenger who had to bear the brunt of such a nasty hit. Looking at the seat position, i am afraid, the head must have smashed against the window.
Looking at the way the front co passenger seat has been positioned, I don't think anybody was using that seat. The seat has been pushed all the way to the front to accommodate the rear passenger.

Moreover the pillow/ cushion in the rear seat suggests that the car in all probability was chauffeur driven with an elderly person/ mother and toddler in the rear seat. A feeding bottle is strewn outside in the last pic of your post. Also check out the footwear neatly tucked in between the seats.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc_0254_1-1.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc_0255_1.jpg

Last edited by Warwithwheels : 5th January 2013 at 17:04.
Old 5th January 2013, 22:53   #12573
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
On 22nd of dec, i saw this accident when i was on my way to my hometown. This accident had taken place just 20-30 kms before Tiptur in Karnataka.
The state of broken front co passenger seat might be indicating that the rear passenger was not wearing seatbelt and in case of collosion, the front seat-back had to bear weight of rear passenger. If there was a front co passenger present who was also wearing seat belt, chances are that he would be worst hit. The front co passenger would be trapped between seatbelt and his own weight + rear passenger's weight. Very dangerous situation.

If my guess is correct, then this crash clearly indicates why the seat belts are mandatory ( and required ) for even rear passengers. I hope we all are able to educate others in using seat belts for all occupants of cars. Seatbelt in very important passive safety feature which helps to prevent injuries in the first place.
aaggoswami is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2013, 00:03   #12574
Team-BHP Support

Did anyone else see this one in Bangalore:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Just saw a nasty accident on old airport road at around 7PM. Looked like it just happened few minutes earlier. There was a white Vento parked on the sidewalk leaning against a lamp post facing the wrong way with no front wheels. Car was smashed up from every corner and it looked like it had toppled over.

I was driving from command hospital towards MG road and this was just before the signal that you take a right to go to Trinity on the opposite side.

My feeling is that he came from Trinity towards old airport road, saw a green light and took the left turn onto old airport road too fast then hit the divider spun and landed on the sidewalk on the left facing oncoming traffic.
Old 8th January 2013, 02:25   #12575
Distinguished - BHPian

My sunny met with an accident yesterday, thanks to a careless lawless driver, the kinds that are very easy to find on Delhi roads. My sister and mom were in the car and luckily didn't get hurt. My sister was taking a right turn at the crossing when her signal turned green. The guy in the Dzire jumped his red light and banged straight into the left side of sunny totally crushing it. The worst part is even though a whole group of passers by including bikers, pedestrians and a nearby standing traffic cop told the guy that it was his mistake since he jumped the signal, the guy did not agree to his fault. We even told him we are not interested in filing any complaint and would take care of our car. But one still expects atleast an apology. But I guess thats too much to expect from someone who lacks basic driving etiquette.

My sunny( kind of proud that it took all the brunt and didnt let it go inside the cabin).
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img2013010601552.jpg

The Idiot's Dzire
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img2013010601550.jpg
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2013, 04:28   #12576
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
The worst part is even though a whole group of passers by including bikers, pedestrians and a nearby standing traffic cop told the guy that it was his mistake since he jumped the signal, the guy did not agree to his fault.
Ouch! That hurts...Your insurance will cover it, but at the cost of increased premium etc. Kind of reminds me of the lawless senseless driver in the Ambassador that pulled my car's front bumper out changing lanes without looking anywhere but straight ahead and rand off as I caught up with him with the help of the cops.

If it was an intersection with camera enforcement, he could not have argued against his own mistake. I'm not sure if Delhi has a lot of camera controlled intersections, Bangalore sure does have, routinely pops up on the Bangalore Traffic Police facebook page.
Old 8th January 2013, 09:10   #12577
Senior - BHPian

Piggy backing gone wrong

Thats what happened at thrippunittura when a speeding audi tried to overtake a Tata tipperrr!
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-audi.jpg  

Old 8th January 2013, 10:55   #12578
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Piggy backing gone wrong

From today's TOI- Bangalore edition, Family photos on dashboard cut accidents.

Quote:
New Delhi: Drivers of Andhra Pradeshs 23,000 buses are a lot more responsible now,a transformation that has happened in six months. Thats because buses theyre assigned have photographs of their children and wife stuck on the dashboard.This step,coupled with mandatory breath analyzer tests,has brought the accident rate down. Also,the December 16 Delhi gang rape has spurred the AP State Transport Corporation to make bus travel safer for women.It has started martial arts training for its 7,000-odd women conductors to prevent attacks on passengers.
On Monday APSRTC,which ferries at least 1.4 crore passengers every year,received a trophy for its impressive accident-control record from minister C P Joshi.In the last two years,the corporation has recorded only 0.13 and 0.11 accidents per 1 lakh km.
arun_josie is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 8th January 2013, 11:18   #12579
BHPian

Noticed 2 accidents on the way to work today.

First - 9.30 AM - An overturned auto rickshaw with 3 in it. They were trying to crawl out of it when I was passing by. Siddapura road, in front of Mallige hospital
Second - 9.45 AM - Auto Rickshaw went into a stationary Maruti 800; who was waiting for the lights to change. Infantry road/Coffee board signal.
Old 8th January 2013, 11:51   #12580
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by foby.sebastian View Post
Thats what happened at thrippunittura when a speeding audi tried to overtake a Tata tipperrr!
that poor Audi. wonder what it did to deserve such treatment. damage looks bad. recoverable?
Old 8th January 2013, 18:04   #12581
Senior - BHPian

Mod Note : Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting an entire long message inconveniences our mobile users

Quote:
On 22nd of dec, i saw this accident when i was on my way to my hometown. This accident had taken place just 20-30 kms before Tiptur in Karnataka.
I was almost involved in a similar crash last weekend at Gundya on my way to Kukke. I was driving on low beam and suddenly a vehicle with a strong high beam caused a temporary blindness and the next moment I saw myself on the gravel just after entering the Subramanya road from Gundya. However, I was able to pull the car out of this and barely missed a tree on the exit. I thanked God for miraculously helping us in escaping a certain tragedy.

Last edited by GTO : 9th January 2013 at 10:07. Reason: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting an entire long message inconveniences our mobile users
Old 8th January 2013, 21:19   #12582
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
From today's TOI- Bangalore edition, Family photos on dashboard cut accidents.
I remember having seen such an exercise carried out by the erstwhile Pallavan bus (State Transport city buses) service in the 80s that used to be in Chennai city. Even they claimed salutary effect on the overworked drivers.
lejhoom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2013, 21:54   #12583
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by foby.sebastian View Post
I was held up for 15 minutes at that spot due to block on that Sunday evening, the accident happening some 40 minutes earlier.
The Audi hit the rear of the tipper which was in an aborted attempt to overtake another vehicle. Look the Audi's front right suffered the damage, which indicates that the Audi was not overtaking this tipper.
Old 8th January 2013, 22:44   #12584
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
Look the Audi's front right suffered the damage, which indicates that the Audi was not overtaking this tipper.
Maybe the Audi was trying to overtake the tipper through the left side?
Old 8th January 2013, 23:03   #12585
BHPian

Heard of a fatal superbike accident in mumbai on Sunday. Looks like They were on their way to their ride to Manas resort. Anybody knows about this?

Most Viewed